New "Destiny Edge" ?

New "Destiny Edge" ?

in Living World

Posted by: Cloud.5312

Cloud.5312

So… Some of you probably noticed a “pattern” in the past few living world content… Call me paranoid but bear with me for a while.

I believe that Rox, Braham, Canach, Kiel (this may change if she loses or wins) and why not Kasmer will eventually form another “Heroic Legendary Group” to “Replace” Destiny Edge…

Personally I think this would be awesome not only to see how all those different characters ties together but also to see the events making the old and new teams clash.

The reasons A-Net would do this are easy to point out.

Easy Living World – Content to explore
New Novel on the way

Anyway… What do you guys think about this ? (Only positive or Negative Criticism please)

New "Destiny Edge" ?

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

They broke the trend with Kasmeer, Marjory and Kiel. I hope to god Kiel is out of the story after the election regardless of whether she wins or loses. Destiny’s Edge represented authority figures from each of the races, Braham and Rox can fill this role if they rise in prominence (we’ve already seen that happen), but Kiel is actually from Lion’s Arch, so while she is human, she isn’t closely linked to Divinity’s Reach. Kasmeer and Marjory might be a different story, we will have to see how things turn out.

Canach is probably the most interesting character in the Living Story so far, but ArenaNet tend to write GW2 like an episode of Carebears (and secondborn sylvari are also written really strangely, they all seem to have mommy issues because they aren’t as cool as the first born in the eyes of the Pale Tree). The bad guys are bad. Canach got a lot of favourable feedback on the forums, so they might bring him into the fold, but it seems like their existing plans for him were limited to “villain”.

If they are making a new Destiny’s Edge, they’re loading it with females. Rox, Kasmeer, Marjory, Kiel, compared to Braham and maybe Canach? Here’s hoping we get some more male heroes in the August update, maybe a sylvari or asuran diplomat.

New "Destiny Edge" ?

in Living World

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

I hope not. What I want from future story elements is a) more spotlight time for established characters (both heroes and villains) and b) some room for my own character. As rich as the setting of this game is, the writing is horribly shallow, and I really don’t want to see it diluted further. We barely know the existing characters as it is.

Sure, they need to introduce some new people now and then, but what is really needed is more depth, and the time and opportunity to actually bond with anyone. Temporary content makes all of that even harder. If Destiny’s Edge 2.0 gets the same shallow treatment as Destiny’s Edge 1.0 PLUS no way to experience what little there is about them except during a very narrow time frame, it won’t be worth trying to remember their names, much less muster any interest in them. IMO, of course.

New "Destiny Edge" ?

in Living World

Cloud.5312

You made me laugh kitten the second born thing.

Imo what made Destiny Edge so epic is they overcoming their differences for a greater good. Rytlock and Logan are a prime example of this… We could put Kiel and Canach in the same shoes I think.

I can’t stress enough how much this could be explored… Both teams could be defending something that they believe is right but drives conflict in the end.

I remember how Rytlock turned Rox down when she requested a chance to join his warband (***hole) and to see Eir and Braham settle their differences would be epic as well… No to mention… Who the hell is his father ? (Star wars comes to mind here – Darth Svanir?). Garm and baby devourer will show who is the strongest pet ?

Only time will tell…

New "Destiny Edge" ?

in Living World

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

The new ’Destiny’s Edge’ will eventually become Guild Wars 2’s version of Heroes/Henchmen. You will be able to select a number of them in order to ‘solo’ dungeons.

New "Destiny Edge" ?

in Living World

Chadramar.8156

That I could get behind, Elbegast!

As I have said before, I’m strongly of the opinion that one of the things that the game’s “story” (both personal and living) needs is to actually have a place for our own characters. Right now, it does not and there sadly has been no sign of that changing. But if Anet let our characters forge a handful of living story characters into a kickarse group of friends, allowed us time to befriend each of them and actually take an active part in the story instead of just being a silent servant girl/boy who does all the work while the NPCs get all the glory and the spotlight time, let us become not only be part of “Destiny’s Edge 2.0” but the de facto leader of it, I’d be absolutely tickled pink.

Of course, what would also be awesome is for characters from the personal story to become available as “henchmen”. The members of a charr character’s warband are prime candidates for that, for example. But that would require a lot more effort and would be much harder to balance both between species and between the chosen story arcs in each species, so I doubt we’d ever see it.

New "Destiny Edge" ?

in Living World

Posted by: Lexy.3912

Lexy.3912

No to mention… Who the hell is his father ? Only time will tell…

Borje the Sun Chaser

My GW2 Project 365 – building a picture of a year in Tyria
The #GW2Project365 on Twitter
Proudly representing The Legion of Honour [XIII] on Tarnished Coast

New "Destiny Edge" ?

in Living World

Cloud.5312

This is so much… Meh… I was expecting something more… I don’t know… Kinda disappointed here…

Nonetheless thanks for the link Lexy. =)

As for our character not being the center of the attention I think this is mostly due to how differently each one of us see the world of GW2… No to mention the sheer amount of races/classes/background combinations available… If we were to lead the story to our hearts content this would create too many versions of the story itself… Let’s take the elections that we have in play now…

Some are voting for Kiel due to her being portrayed as a good character, while others stick to Evon because they think having a bad guy in the council would make things more interesting… (Myself I don’t like the char because the abusive taxes of the TH and those accursed range boxes… )

But if you think about it, having this election and letting the majority of the players decide the future of Tyria is a huge step forward and I don’t recall seeing it implemented that way in any other MMO.

I don’t really have this diva complex that most players complaining for not being the main protagonist have… Mostly because this is not entirely true… Trahearne makes it clear on several occasions that it was only because of “you the player” that everything was possible… So did Kiel in Southsun Cove… And Rox and Braham in Flame & Frost…

Yet… The developers are listening to our prayers implementing feature after feature in order to make our Tyrian life more fun , so they might figure a way to satisfy those who need to be in the spotlight as well.

Cheers.

(edited by Cloud.5312)

New "Destiny Edge" ?

in Living World

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

I think they are missing one asura U_U . Destiny edge had the most genious asura of ever (Snaff). We need another genious, not simpkitten okahs.

New "Destiny Edge" ?

in Living World

Cloud.5312

I think they are missing one asura U_U . Destiny edge had the most genious asura of ever (Snaff). We need another genious, not simpkitten okahs.

As of now, we have:

- A Norn Guardian
- A Char Ranger
- A Sylvari Thief

Maybe an asuran warrior ? Not talking about a genius Snaff like kind but a mean little kitten that would make Rytlock hide his tail….

New "Destiny Edge" ?

in Living World

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Subdirector Noll?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

New "Destiny Edge" ?

in Living World

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

Maybe an asuran warrior ? Not talking about a genius Snaff like kind but a mean little kitten that would make Rytlock hide his tail….

oooh this would be so nice. just because asuras are small is no reason for them not to be seen as heavy front line figures eh?

New "Destiny Edge" ?

in Living World

Posted by: Uvatha.5476

Uvatha.5476

We don’t need a new Destiny’s Edge when we could have a new hero group and call it Mr. E’s Angels!

Kasmeer, Marjory and Kiel will form a private detective agency that thwarts crime around Tyria. Every two weeks they’ll get an encrypted message from Mr. E delivered by his liaison, Bosley and will be required to solve these problems with skimpy undercover outfits, amazing weapons, and fabulous hair! Problem solved!

New "Destiny Edge" ?

in Living World

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

We don’t need a new Destiny’s Edge when we could have a new hero group and call it Mr. E’s Angels!

Kasmeer, Marjory and Kiel will form a private detective agency that thwarts crime around Tyria. Every two weeks they’ll get an encrypted message from Mr. E delivered by his liaison, Bosley and will be required to solve these problems with skimpy undercover outfits, amazing weapons, and fabulous hair! Problem solved!

In 1320AE, a crack commando was sent into battle by Destiny’s Edge…a battle he didn’t commit to. This commando promptly escaped, moments before a certain victory, to the Ebonhawke underground. Today, still wanted by anyone…to do anything, he survives as a slave to infatuation. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can’t chase him down, maybe you can, instead, hire the A-Team.

New "Destiny Edge" ?

in Living World

Posted by: Uvatha.5476

Uvatha.5476

I like where this is going!

New "Destiny Edge" ?

in Living World

Chadramar.8156

As for our character not being the center of the attention I think this is mostly due to how differently each one of us see the world of GW2… No to mention the sheer amount of races/classes/background combinations available…

Yes, that is one of my fundamental issues with the “personal story”: it is NOT personal, because there is no personality, no identity, no roleplaying, nothing. And it’s a bleeding shame because it didn’t have to be that way. Allowing for distinct stories based primarily on species/culture would have been a HUGE bonus to immersion and replayability.

And that’s the personal story. In the living story, our characters do not exist AT ALL. If I wanted to read about other people doing this-and-that, I’d go grab a book. In a game, I want to be involved in the story as an actual character, not be pushed off-stage as a mix of spectator and mute errand girl.

I don’t really have this diva complex that most players complaining for not being the main protagonist have… Mostly because this is not entirely true… Trahearne makes it clear on several occasions that it was only because of “you the player” that everything was possible…

Trust me, I very much do NOT want to be The One And Only Chosen Savior — games like that make me roll my eyes so hard I’m amazed they’re still in their sockets, what with how common that trope is. :p But I want to be involved.

Trahearne very much IS the protagonist, along with Destiny’s Edge, because our characters have no character. Non-characters cannot carry a story. No matter how annoying and badly-written one may consider the NPCs to be, at least they have their own identity. We do not have that, not even in the “personal” story, not outside the cultural arcs. Getting the rare pat on the head from one of the spotlight NPCs doesn’t make any difference to me if I have no option ever to roleplay, no opportunity to get to know and connect with anyone, and in the living story, not even a voice or a part in any of the conversations and events that move the plot along.

If there is to be another hero-group forming up, then at least I want to somehow be part of it. If I remain a non-entity, I’m going to have even less interest in the living story than I already do now — and I say that as someone who usually values story and lore above all else in a MMO.

New "Destiny Edge" ?

in Living World

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

At least Braham is (so far) a likeable character.

Canach is an interesting anti-hero, but you know nothing about him unless you read outside-sources. (otherwise, you find out he’s a pretty cool guy.)

I don’t care much for Rox.

Marjory would be cool to return. A Necromancer who is an expert at forensics, is actually a pretty cool fit!