Paying for past content?

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Looking over the LS season 2 blurb I spotted this “Past episodes will be available for purchase for 200 gems”

Does this mean if we want to reply any LS content we need to pay for it in gems? Is it an unlock a chapter forever fee for every account or is it character bound? If we pay for a chapter can we team with people who haven’t?

Personally, not sure how I feel about this move. To me it seems to step over the ‘morality line’ and move GW2 to a payment model I don’t really like..

Hmm

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Or you can you know, login one time during the two weeks that event is available and have it unlocked for free.

It is unlock forever, for the account.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

It specifically states you can either use the 15seconds in the 2weeks to login and claim that story free or if you somehow are unable you can unlock it afterwards for 200gems or convert the required gold to do so.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

ok, yup got that bit. However… What chapters are going to be available? For example the LA in ruins story,, dragon bash, marionette etc etc all had changes to the zones they occur in. Are we going to have instances where they are put back to how they were?

Are all rewards going to be available as if we were doing them for the first time(e.g toxic backpacks and the like)

Is this fair on new players who paid the same for content as we did, and now have to pay more to play the same content as we did?

Answers on a postcard..

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Yaos.4528

Yaos.4528

I just wonder why it costs gems to unlock if you miss the living story when it’s live. I’m thinking it’s to get more people to play the living story when it’s live, rather than waiting until the very end.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

It won’t be implemented for S1, at least not at first, since S1 was not built with the Journal in mind.

They are changing the reward structure for S2 as well it seems, and making them permanent.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Sicarius.4639

ok, yup got that bit. However… What chapters are going to be available? For example the LA in ruins story,, dragon bash, marionette etc etc all had changes to the zones they occur in. Are we going to have instances where they are put back to how they were?

Are all rewards going to be available as if we were doing them for the first time(e.g toxic backpacks and the like)

Is this fair on new players who paid the same for content as we did, and now have to pay more to play the same content as we did?

Answers on a postcard..

All of the above happened in LS1, something they are looking at implementing in the future. Everyone is on a clean slate here for LS2, we all start at the same time and anyone who has or has played the game up until now will all have the same opportunity to access the content.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Dint they have a similiar Story teller ??? It is not a new buy story model, they are just adding stufff that was on gw1(step by step).

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Durmand

and

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_Bonus_Mission_Pack

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Tyragon.2496

Tyragon.2496

The payment is most likely to make up for the lack of an expansion, and I have a feeling Anet intends to keep pushing away from the expansion model and keep trying to stay with the gem store and see how it goes. Though they keep saying it’s not off the table incase things don’t go as planned.

This isn’t a negative thing, LotRO has sort of the same model, you need certain coins to buy questlines and areas, which can be earned through in-game currency. I thought that system was quite good. Still LotRO also has expansions which I hope GW2 will have as well in time, due to the fact you can’t ignore how much publicity an expansion gets compared to 2 week content patches.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Medazolam.3058

Medazolam.3058

OP, I suggest you read the article again. you obviously missed some of the finer points.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: BobbyStein

BobbyStein

Guild Wars 2 Narrative Lead

Looking over the LS season 2 blurb I spotted this “Past episodes will be available for purchase for 200 gems”

Does this mean if we want to reply any LS content we need to pay for it in gems? Is it an unlock a chapter forever fee for every account or is it character bound? If we pay for a chapter can we team with people who haven’t?

Personally, not sure how I feel about this move. To me it seems to step over the ‘morality line’ and move GW2 to a payment model I don’t really like..

Hmm

If you log in during the release window of an episode (e.g. two weeks) you unlock the episode for your account. You can replay it as many times as you want for free. If you miss the release window and you want to play an episode that you didn’t unlock, you can purchase it.

It’s a lot like watching television in that you can watch (and record) an episode for free when it airs. If you miss it, you can buy the episode off iTunes later. Does that make sense?

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Hmm

If you log in during the release window of an episode (e.g. two weeks) you unlock the episode for your account. You can replay it as many times as you want for free. If you miss the release window and you want to play an episode that you didn’t unlock, you can purchase it.

It’s a lot like watching television in that you can watch (and record) an episode for free when it airs. If you miss it, you can buy the episode off iTunes later. Does that make sense?

Will the story episodes you buy be instanced? If so, how do players handle stuff like the destruction of Lion’s Arch? If it isn’t instanced, what’s to stop people from farming events like the destruction of Lion’s Arch of the original Queen’s Gauntlet indefinitely?

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Edgar Doiron.2804

Edgar Doiron.2804

Hmm

Will we be able to buy the “DVD” season at a later date? :P

Forgeman Destroyers [FORD] – Sorrows furnace

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: CloudedChimera.9670

CloudedChimera.9670

Personally, I think this is great! If you’re playing the game everything is the same as before, free! If you miss something, you now have the ability to see/play it (an option that we didn’t have before).

It also gives financial incentive to ArenaNet to make sure the living story is top notch because each episode will be able to increase their revenue and the better releases will earn more. It’s a win-win for both devs and players.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Sweetblue Huntress.9856

Sweetblue Huntress.9856

Will the story episodes you buy be instanced? If so, how do players handle stuff like the destruction of Lion’s Arch? If it isn’t instanced, what’s to stop people from farming events like the destruction of Lion’s Arch of the original Queen’s Gauntlet indefinitely?

From the Announcement:

“Also, because Season 1 of Living World was not built with the Journal in mind, it will not be available in the story Journal on initial launch when Season 2 begins. We do hope to add Season 1 to the Journal in the future. As I mentioned earlier, only festivals will continue to use the gold star UI. They will not be in the story Journal, and they will remain as temporary content that comes in each year for a period of time and then packs up and leaves when the festival has completed.”

To answer your question: Queen’s Gauntlet is a festival thus temporary and Destruction of LA is Season 1. Once they put Season 1 in the journal, then I guess you’ll have a definitive answer.

Leta Lorelei – Luwythea – Too many more to name
Jade Quarry

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Asyntyche.4827

Asyntyche.4827

Will we be able to buy the “DVD” season at a later date? :P

I can see that happening over time, once we’re on to S3, there’s no reason not to offer a Complete S2 bundle to newcomers.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Zende.1704

Zende.1704

Personally, I don’t see any problem with the cost to replay past content. The cost will probably be less than 5200 gems (or 65$) a year. I see that a lot like an expansion that is free if you play regularly which is on paper a really good system. Let’s just hope that there will be an expansion worth of content added every year.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: rincewind.9528

rincewind.9528

I really hope that they manage to put the season 1 in the new system.

I don’t have a problem in buying gems to be able to play what I missed.

Make it happen anet!!

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

From the Announcement:

“Also, because Season 1 of Living World was not built with the Journal in mind, it will not be available in the story Journal on initial launch when Season 2 begins. We do hope to add Season 1 to the Journal in the future. As I mentioned earlier, only festivals will continue to use the gold star UI. They will not be in the story Journal, and they will remain as temporary content that comes in each year for a period of time and then packs up and leaves when the festival has completed.”

To answer your question: Queen’s Gauntlet is a festival thus temporary and Destruction of LA is Season 1. Once they put Season 1 in the journal, then I guess you’ll have a definitive answer.

Except that pretty much means we won’t be seeing large scale content in Season 2, because if they do an event like the destruction of LA, or the marionette, etc. it couldn’t be put in the journal.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

You avoided the “playing with friend” question though. Can we “watch” an episode we “recorded” with a friend that has not “seen it live” or didn’t buy it off itunes? Or will it somehow be locked in to unlocked people only? That being said, can we go though episodes with parties thus using LFG system for Episodes? And is so, will we get a new tab in LFG because of this?

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

If you don’t login, you need to pay to doing Living World, Huh? Anet, None of the Living World stuff so far has been worth paying for, dumbest idea yet!

Anet, if you want money from me, you’ll need to do a hell of a lot better than this!

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Naetell.3815

Naetell.3815

Except that pretty much means we won’t be seeing large scale content in Season 2, because if they do an event like the destruction of LA, or the marionette, etc. it couldn’t be put in the journal.

Sure it could. The journal instance wouldn’t be exactly the same as the open world version in those cases, but it would still offer the same story on a smaller scale.
That, or this is the first step towards creating raid instances.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Skyve.5943

Skyve.5943

If you don’t login, you need to pay to doing Living World, Huh? Anet, None of the Living World stuff so far has been worth paying for, dumbest idea yet!

Anet, if you want money from me, you’ll need to do a hell of a lot better than this!

Dude you just have to log in once within a 2 weeks period. Even if you don’t even play the game that much anymore it is still a very accessible thing

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Make it happen anet!!

Concerning the discussion we hand in another thread a day or two ago it makes me realy happy to read about this journal change for players to replay previous content
I am so happy for you Rincewind.9528 and also happy for you that my wishes for non-rewarded replays didn’t happen

Now for the Season 1 stuff, I am pretty sure they will implement it sooner or later. Imagine how much money they can make on that

Awesome move Anet! I realy like it!

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Paying for past content?

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

Well, then don’t pay for it.
It is there as an option for people that want to do it, but missed it when it was released, as opposite to right now where if you miss it, it will be gone forever.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

From the notes:

“Characters under level 80 will be able to see the available episodes, but will not be able to play them until they reach level 80. Think of the Living World story as the constantly expanding continuation of your character’s storyline once they reach level 80.”

Do you mean that characters under level 80 can’t do any of LW season two?

Paying for past content?

in Living World

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Why is it a dumb idea!? Even if you don’t like LS maby others do and imagine new players starting during the middle of S2 and all players who have missed S1 when they implement that one. Immagine how many players who will convert gold or buy gems to unluck what they have missed. It is an awesome move, I like it and I support it to 100%, it is a perfect way for Anet to make money.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

EdgarMTanaka.7291

From the notes:

“Characters under level 80 will be able to see the available episodes, but will not be able to play them until they reach level 80. Think of the Living World story as the constantly expanding continuation of your character’s storyline once they reach level 80.”

I think so.

Though leveling to 80 is just the turorial of the game and it is swift.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

From the notes:

Aye, seems like it.

Which is most likely a good thing, seeing as even with the scaling the things is either too hard for upscaled or too easy for natural level 80s.

LS is basically becoming the new end-game system for Guild Wars 2.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Turin.6921

Turin.6921

It says on the post that there will be Open world content in the living story….It will be permanent also..So there will be large scale events and permanent even.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

When you add season one it better be free or their will be serious trouble.

I am not paying for content I logged on every day for.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Paying for past content?

in Living World

rincewind.9528

Make it happen anet!!

Concerning the discussion we hand in another thread a day or two ago it makes me realy happy to read about this journal change for players to replay previous content
I am so happy for you Rincewind.9528 and also happy for you that my wishes for non-rewarded replays didn’t happen

Now for the Season 1 stuff, I am pretty sure they will implement it sooner or later. Imagine how much money they can make on that

Awesome move Anet! I realy like it!

Highfive!!
Thanks for the sharing the happiness!! =)

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

I think they understood that in living world there are two dimensions :
- an ongoing story
- coupled with permanent content modification or addition

In season 1, we had a lot of ongoing stroy tied with temporary content. Or, some permanent addition with limited ties to the Scarlet arc if any (Tequatl or Aetherpath). This is why it felt so wonky.

If I understand them correctly, the story side of the season 2 will be delivered in instanced content with challenges and achievements, that you will be able to replay (thx chronicles). The content side of season 2 will be permanent and with permanent achievements.

In the end, things look nice so far. Hope season 2 lives up to the expectations.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: smitske.4912

smitske.4912

Hmm

For the record, you can still freely stream stuff if you miss it on television :P

That being said will there be “bundles”, or other options for people who buy the game afterwards, have missed complete arcs and still want to play them? I think following the 200 gems per update formula would get very expensive, and since they are new they won’t have the gold to buy gems.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Sicarius.4639

Just going to point out that for the time it took people to complain about the price of the content, you could of logged into the game and got it for free.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Hmm

Except you’re playing it, not purchasing it. You can watch it for free again using your DVR.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Hmm

Except you’re playing it, not purchasing it. You can watch it for free again using your DVR.

You log into the game to “record the story on your DVR” so you can play it again for free.

If you forget to set your DVR (by logging in to capture the content) you can’t get that show for free anymore.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Lankybrit.4598

Hmm

You log into the game to “record the story on your DVR” so you can play it again for free.

If you forget to set your DVR (by logging in to capture the content) you can’t get that show for free anymore.

No, under the On Demand menu of my DVR for free. Or streaming over the internet. The point is, we don’t need to purchase and own it.

Updated every Monday

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Hmm

No, under the On Demand menu of my DVR for free. Or streaming over the internet. The point is, we don’t need to purchase and own it.

You’re paying a monthly sub fee for your On Demand menu content, that isn’t free. Guild Wars has no monthly sub fee so if you miss the episode when it airs then you need to purchase the show and you then have forever access to it.

Streaming over the internet by and large violates copyright (depending on the content provider, local laws, etc) and we’re not talking about pirating the episodes.

To get the content for free, log in once during the time the content is available and you have forever access to it. You don’t even have to do anything except log in. It’s easy.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I think following the 200 gems per update formula would get very expensive, and since they are new they won’t have the gold to buy gems.

Um… exactly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_analogy

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Lankybrit.4598

I think following the 200 gems per update formula would get very expensive, and since they are new they won’t have the gold to buy gems.

Um… exactly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_analogy

LOL They brought up that analogy. Not me.

Updated every Monday

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

Just going to point out that for the time it took people to complain about the price of the content, you could of logged into the game and got it for free.

That’s not always the case. What if you’re on vacation for example.

Anyway, I’m not sure the analogy to TV episodes quite works for gaming. With TV, lots of people have DVRs so can set that up to record the programs they’d like to watch whilst they’re away. Also, in the States, you guys have Hulu. :P

I get ANet wants to make money, but not charging customers equally for content doesn’t seem quite right to me.

If you guys want money, how about expansions or housing, etc, etc..

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

This seems like a VERY poor way to make money.

Why not put your effort into releasing an expansion, rather than hoping that people will spend 200 gems per “chapter” of a missed LS season? I mean, there can’t be that many people who will be willing to do that(not to mention just purchasing via gold).

This seems like an implementation we’ve seen before and ANet has backtracked time and time again on it. I’ve no doubt that they will again change their implementation to just give the LS unlocks regardless if you logged in or not(so save your gems/gold).

tl;dr: Focus on an expansion instead of hoping for people to shell out gems for (imo) substandard content.

PS: your TV show analogy doesn’t work, as I can set my DVR to record while I’m away(or watch whenever I want with HBOgo etc.).

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

Making people pay for missed content is rather silly imo.
Can you imagine someone who missed 10 episodes of Season 2 due to exams
and when he finally comes back, he has to pay 2000gems JUST to unlock them to play? (considering 1 episode costs 200gems)

Why would he even bother to pay?
Seriously, judging by the quality of season 1’s story, is it even WORTH to pay 200gems?

You’re just encouraging people who are not able to play to actually seriously consider quitting the game.

Very VERY stupid move Anet.
This is probably one of the WORST decisions you’ve made.

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

(edited by Snowmoon.1758)

Paying for past content?

in Living World

rincewind.9528

This seems like a VERY poor way to make money.

Why not put your effort into releasing an expansion, rather than hoping that people will spend 200 gems per “chapter” of a missed LS season? I mean, there can’t be that many people who will be willing to do that(not to mention just purchasing via gold).

This seems like an implementation we’ve seen before and ANet has backtracked time and time again on it. I’ve no doubt that they will again change their implementation to just give the LS unlocks regardless if you logged in or not(so save your gems/gold).

tl;dr: Focus on an expansion instead of hoping for people to shell out gems for (imo) substandard content.

PS: your TV show analogy doesn’t work, as I can set my DVR to record while I’m away(or watch whenever I want with HBOgo etc.).

I will gadly pay for the season one too. I really want to play the story that I missed.

Having this as a feature is a great improvement. Now If I miss something in the season 2 I just need to spend a little cash, and voila, can play it.
No more missing chunks of the story or content!!
That’s make the difference for me. Seems that we will be at least free for the tyrany of the clock!!

Hope that they manage to get season 1 in the new system soon.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I like how people toss out premium features like HBOgo, which all have an additional cost. Where as this does not. I can see the argument that we can set out DVRs up to record in advance…to an extent. I think mine only goes out like 2 weeks…

Anyway, how is paying 200gems if you miss the content any different if they had simply boxed it all up as an expansion / mini expansion / whatever and made you buy a box to get it? The only difference would be that it you get everything all at once and that you paid a bigger price tag up front. In this instance if you log in to play regularly, you can potentially get all that content for free. Yes, obviously part of how satisfied a customer we’ll be depends on whats in the package, but personally, I like free….

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

and when he finally comes back, he has to pay 2000gems JUST to unlock them to play? (considering 1 episode costs 200gems)

Seriously, judging by the quality of season 1’s story, is it even WORTH to pay 200gems?

You’re just encouraging people who are not able to play to actually seriously consider quitting the game.

It is extremely unlikely that someone would be so busy that they couldn’t spend 5 minutes every TWO WEEKS in order to unlock it for free though, don’t you think?

It is also very unlikely that someone would have exams for about half a year.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Snowmoon.1758

I like how people toss out premium features like HBOgo, which all have an additional cost. Where as this does not. I can see the argument that we can set out DVRs up to record in advance…to an extent. I think mine only goes out like 2 weeks…

Anyway, how is paying 200gems if you miss the content any different if they had simply boxed it all up as an expansion / mini expansion / whatever and made you buy a box to get it? The only difference would be that it you get everything all at once and that you paid a bigger price tag up front. In this instance if you log in to play regularly, you can potentially get all that content for free. Yes, obviously part of how satisfied a customer we’ll be depends on whats in the package, but personally, I like free….

Hey if the quality of content is worthy of an expansion, i’ll pay for it.
Season 1’s quality is HARDLY worthy of an expansion level content.

Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Hey if the quality of content is worthy of an expansion, i’ll pay for it.
Season 1’s quality is HARDLY worthy of an expansion level content.

I won’t argue that LS1 had issues. Lots of them.

However, if I get like 3 new zones or what-have-you (just picked something random off the top of my head) and I get those free just for logging in… I don’t have to buy them, that sounds awesome to me. I wouldn’t mind paying for that either, if I missed out on its ‘debut cycle.’ Like I said, it all depends on what is “in the package” that is LS2.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Snowmoon.1758

It is extremely unlikely that someone would be so busy that they couldn’t spend 5 minutes every TWO WEEKS in order to unlock it for free though, don’t you think?

It is also very unlikely that someone would have exams for about half a year.

What about someone who feels like taking a break from GW2 due to burnout?
1 year later, do you think he’ll still wanna pay for it?

Argghh it all boils down to how poor Season 1 was received.
If it was actually very good i wouldn’t have complained.
But godkitten !! imagine paying for such trivial content

Seriously, i JUST cannot get rid of the bad taste of season 1.
I actually HATE the word Scarlett. imagine that.