Profession-Based Missions

in Living World

Posted by: HopelessOptimist.6298

HopelessOptimist.6298

I think something that would really help tie together the living story and your characters’ personal storyline is if ArenaNet implemented monthly profession-based missions. Basically, these would be side missions for each of the professions that would complement the main living story missions.

Think about how cool it would be to run along the rooftops as a thief on a mission that involves sneaking past Scarlet’s minions to steal her battle plans without being seen/getting caught. Or being a guardian and teaming up with the Lionguard on a mission to protect Lion’s Arch while Scarlet’s minions attacks the city. There are a lot of fun possibilities!

It would help to really feel like you are part of the living story and that your profession is more than just a bunch of skills. What do you guys think?

in Living World

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I like it. I assume you mean for there to be 8 separate monthly missions each month, for those who don’t have altitis?

in Living World

HopelessOptimist.6298

Yeah exactly – 8 different missions each month, 1 for each profession.

in Living World

Posted by: Syrpharon.7491

Syrpharon.7491

I support this idea but I could only hope the team would actually make some quality missions with all the costant content they have to add per month that apparently already takes all of their time.

I would also suggest, in case the living world related missions are too much of a run against time, to create default specific profession missions linked to your personal story, that once completed could reward you with unique skins or town clothes for your profession.

in Living World

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Players like to see all the content. Creating content that is exclusive to one class really does exclude 7 others. The majority of players dislike being excluded from the majority of the content.

in Living World

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

I think something that would really help tie together the living story and your characters’ personal storyline is if ArenaNet implemented monthly profession-based missions. Basically, these would be side missions for each of the professions that would complement the main living story missions.

Think about how cool it would be to run along the rooftops as a thief on a mission that involves sneaking past Scarlet’s minions to steal her battle plans without being seen/getting caught. Or being a guardian and teaming up with the Lionguard on a mission to protect Lion’s Arch while Scarlet’s minions attacks the city. There are a lot of fun possibilities!

It would help to really feel like you are part of the living story and that your profession is more than just a bunch of skills. What do you guys think?

Could be a cool way to unlock profession-specific cosmetic items

You’re welcome, ANet.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

in Living World

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

If they ever re-do the Personal Story this would also make a great addition as to provide the characters some missions that “train” them in their professions, would give more sense to the idea of “rising from the bottom”.

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

in Living World

Posted by: NinjaChris.9340

NinjaChris.9340

I’m sorry to burst your bubble, but this is something that will simply never happen.

Most game companies shudder at the though of excluding content from the player. That’s why a lot of big games show everything they have actively to the player, leaving very little to discover through exploration. Splitting a game into different paths basically means wasting time, work, and money on for example 40 hours of gameplay of which the player will only see 10.

AN did split up content in their game before, in the Personal Story. 5 paths for the playable races (each one having different paths in and of themselves), then 3 paths for the different orders. This meant they produced an excruciatingly large amount of content, but a single playthrough of a storyline consisted of very little, it felt disconnected and rushed.
Asking AN to create 8 missions on a bi-weekly schedule, only one of which will be experienced by the average player, instead of making a string of 8 missions is a ludicrous demand.

(edited by NinjaChris.9340)

in Living World

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

I’m sorry to burst your bubble, but this is something that will simply never happen.

Most game companies shudder at the though of excluding content from the player. That’s why a lot of big games show everything they have actively to the player, leaving very little to discover through exploration. Splitting a game into different paths basically means wasting time, work, and money on for example 40 hours of gameplay of which the player will only see 10.

Asking AN to create 8 missions on a bi-weekly schedule, only one of which will be experienced by the average player, instead of making a string of 8 missions is a ludicrous demand.

Wasn’t that supposed to be the basis of the personal story?

Call me crazy, but it’s supposed to be PERSONAL.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

in Living World

Posted by: NinjaChris.9340

NinjaChris.9340

Wasn’t that supposed to be the basis of the personal story?

Call me crazy, but it’s supposed to be PERSONAL.

Yes, that’s what I talked about in my edit.
That is why the PS sucked. We are not playing Mass Effect here. This isn’t an RPG epic in which every choice can be honored to a T (which not even Mass Effect did). This isn’t some mystical land where video game content just appears.
This is only a game, and compromises have to be made and over-reaching will be punished.
That is why the Personal Story fell short and this is why the Player Character is only having little personal involvement in the Living Story.
Perfectly representing every players wishes is a luxury no game, and especially no MMOrpg can provide.

in Living World

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

It would be neat I suppose but some people have built their characters (for personal reasons or rpwise) to be a bit more than what meets the eyes.

For instance, my white charr warrior is part of the Ash Legion and also a member of the Order of whispers despite her being a heavy bearing armor user. Whilst yeah, she could easily fit into all the warrior stuff, stealth can be fun too~

Duty is heavier than death.

in Living World

HopelessOptimist.6298

AN did split up content in their game before, in the Personal Story. 5 paths for the playable races (each one having different paths in and of themselves), then 3 paths for the different orders. This meant they produced an excruciatingly large amount of content, but a single playthrough of a storyline consisted of very little, it felt disconnected and rushed.

Valid points. Though personally I have characters across several different professions, as I think many people do, so you wouldn’t really be restricted to just 1 mission necessarily. And maybe if you were a party with a character of a different profession, you could join them. I think one of the main appeals of the game is having a character that feels part of the world, and this would really deliver on that in my opinion.

Though AN would definitely need to have the manpower to support this initiative. I think if they were like “mini-missions” it could be doable.