SPOILER Living story ripped from Mass Effect

in Living World

Posted by: Thuggernaut.1250

Thuggernaut.1250

Mass Effect:
1. Reapers awaken every 50000 years to consume life
2. Player experiences a vision of the reapers from a beacon (which he inadvertently triggered to save Ashley)
3. Player builds a multi-species coalition to fight reapers

Guild Wars 2:
1. Dragons awaken every 10000 years to consume magic
2. Player experiences a vision of dragons from Omadd’s machine (which he inadvertently triggered to save Taimi)
3. Player builds a multi-species Pact to fight dragons

I think anyone that saw the new cutscene from the most recent episode (that also played Mass Effect) instantly got a flashback to Commander Shepard. At first I thought that the writing got marginally better (compared to season one), but come on… now they’re blatantly ripping off another game with a threadbare plot to begin with?

in Living World

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

Mass Effect invented recurring invasions!
Mass Effect invented visions!
Mass Effect invented armies of multiple races!

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

Mongols routinely attack the Dynasties.
A Dynasty ruler envisions a future of the Mongols.
Dynasty ruler unites opposing Dynasties under one kingdom to combat the Mongols.

Author’s Note: I am not a history buff, feel free to make snark-less corrections.

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

Pale skinned men from across the waters visit every few decades, until one bunch seems hellbent on proposing ownership of land.
Whistler the Peacemaker envisions a future of White Man.
Little Bull attempts to rally all tribes against Whites.

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I can almost guarantee you that we could easily found stuff long before Mass Effect that did more or less the exact same thing. But I suppose that doesn’t count?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

Of course, here come the white knights to ride to Anet’s rescue. Nothing excuses sloppy writing (reusing tired old themes with a lot of “convenient” similarities to other RPGs), and nobody can deny that the Omadd’s machine sequence is a direct ripoff from Mass Effect. The “coincidences” are more than coincidences; the circumstances of the entire bit happen exactly like Mass Effect. It’s not just the vision that’s a ripoff, the way that the entire scene unfolds happens exactly the same as the scene with Commander Shepard.

It did? When did a Mesmer bubble Shepard before rushing to save Ashley?

Cute, but you know what I mean. Anyone that’s played Mass Effect knows exactly what I’m talking about.

Nobody (non-troll/non-fanboy) can with a straight face deny that the scene is a direct ripoff.

Anyone around here that hasn’t swallowed the Anet Kool-Aid yet?

Read the edit.

It’s still not exact. The only direct similarity, really, is that they get a vision from a machine. In ME, it’s activated unwittingly after being found by accident. In GW2, Taimi knows exactly what it is and intentionally goes in, having led you to it intentionally.

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

British colonies in America faced with numerous perils.
Hundred-dollar bill guy writes editorial about the importance of colonial unity.
Years later, political cartoon used as symbol in American Revolutionary War.

(edited by Boneheart.3561)

in Living World

Posted by: Assassin X.8573

Assassin X.8573

Gw1 developed and released SEVEN years before mass effect.
Gw2 is based on lore of Gw1 in which the player has visions from the eye of the north scrying pool.
You rallied words on a page to form a thread of incorrect information.

You are incorrect. If anything mass effect ripped from GW.

Game. Set. Match.

Darkhaven Gold Tiger Assassin X [JPGN][Sold][VII]
Videos on Youtube

(edited by Assassin X.8573)

in Living World

Posted by: hardy.7469

hardy.7469

Lol
I love when people forget that stuff exists before their lifetime.

Like saying anything with elves and orcs ripped off WoW or Warhammer. As if Tolkien or ancient mythos and children stories never existed.

in Living World

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Mass Effect? Seriously? It’s like literature only started 2 years ago.

Would someone please quit serving the Mass Effect kool aid. Apparently someone has had too much. Your drunk thuggie, go home.

in Living World

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I can almost guarantee you that we could easily found stuff long before Mass Effect that did more or less the exact same thing. But I suppose that doesn’t count?

Then go ahead. If it’s so easily found, it shouldn’t take you long to get back with us with examples.

in Living World

Posted by: Riaky.8965

Riaky.8965

Mass Effect:
2. Player experiences a vision of the reapers from a beacon (which he inadvertently triggered to save Ashley)

Guild Wars 2:
2. Player experiences a vision of dragons from Omadd’s machine (which he inadvertently triggered to save Taimi)

I think anyone that saw the new cutscene from the most recent episode (that also played Mass Effect) instantly got a flashback to Commander Shepard. At first I thought that the writing got marginally better (compared to season one), but come on… now they’re blatantly ripping off another game with a threadbare plot to begin with?

That is MADNESS!

in Living World

Posted by: Dunan Atreides.5436

Dunan Atreides.5436

A person refuting your claim doesn’t mean that he/she is an Anet Fanboy/girl.

Cyclical catastrophe is nothing new. It’s been a thing in science fiction for ages, and even a thing in religions (remember the Mayans and all that 2012 hooplah). The reason people aren’t taking your side on this is, is that it’s such a shallow connection to make, when considering all the stories of the world.

in Living World

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

You know, I played all ME games and I never once thought about it. Nor do I care. If you feel it rips off certain story elements just remember that it’s extremely difficult to create something 100% original and unique these days, and it does not automatically mean that it’s ripping something off.

Please…

in Living World

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Wow….really? I dont…I cant even… just stop… if your going to complain about similar scenes there I have a list of dozens of games you can go troll on. Some things are simply good delivery methods for stories. If your a pretty heavy reader youl see alot of authors will use similar mechanics to deliver information to the main character.

Theres…just not a whole lot that can be said here because of the raw un-tempered ignorance you have managed to state in a few short posts…bravo OP.

Im actually impressed and thats fairly difficult to manage.

Ghost Yak

in Living World

Posted by: Naetell.3815

Naetell.3815

I’m just going to step in here and tell you now that Mass Effect was based on Fred Saberhagen’s novels, more specifically the Berserker series.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker_%28Saberhagen%29

Which in turn were based on older writings, etc, etc…
If we really want to get into the nitty gritty of it, we can discuss the topic from the literary point of view, in which case we’ll start with the seven basic plots:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Basic_Plots

So, time to get the writing gloves off or is playing in the kiddie pool sufficient for you?

in Living World

Posted by: glehmann.9586

glehmann.9586

As it stands, the similarities are that in both games you save a colleague and are given a vision about the bad guys as a result. The nature of the visions are completely different.

If instead of Omadd’s machine we interacted with some kind of magical Jotun beacon that gave us a vision that revealed the existence of the dragons where they were previously just myths, you might be on to something. Instead, we get a machine built by a contemporary Asura that gives us a vision of how the world works, which includes the bad guys in a significant role.

As it stands, I think the dragons compare more favorably to the real-world’s extinction events than to Mass Effect’s synthetic reapers, given how often they’re comparing the dragons to forces of nature and treating them as inextricable parts of the world. Really, the only favorable comparisons between the two are their devastating effects and cyclical appearances.

Seriously, we might as well start complaining that Guild Wars 2 is ripping off all the stories that go with a “hero’s journey” narrative.

in Living World

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

This story is different from any other story ever!!!

Ley lines are involved!! Sam Spade is a girl! Honey Boo Boo got smarter! The extra had a Gold surplice, not a Red shirt! And so much more! Too many Snowflakes to list!!

Over 9000 exclamation points!!

Its so fantastic I hope Uwe Boll makes a Scarlett movie!! With Nicholas Gage as Scarlett!!

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

in Living World

Posted by: CalamityO.2890

CalamityO.2890

Of course, here come the white knights to ride to Anet’s rescue. Nothing excuses sloppy writing (reusing tired old themes with a lot of “convenient” similarities to other RPGs), and nobody can deny that the Omadd’s machine sequence is a direct ripoff from Mass Effect. The “coincidences” are more than coincidences; the circumstances of the entire bit happen exactly like Mass Effect. It’s not just the vision that’s a ripoff, the way that the entire scene unfolds happens exactly the same as the scene with Commander Shepard.

And here is the white knight defending Biowares game. If you want to talk about sloppy writing, then ME III ending was very sloppy indeed. As for similarities, whilst there may be some influences taken from ME. The actual implementation is applied differently. As some one said, nothing is 100% original. And no the entire scene and vision was not exact at all. So to say it was a rip off is incorrect. But hey, feel free to leave and play ME instead. You won’t be missed.

inthecubbyhole.wordpress.com

in Living World

Posted by: Raziel.4216

Raziel.4216

Mass Effect did not invent cyclical antagonists, they made a great story with’em.
That’s like saying everyone stole orcs and elfs from wow

If Legend of Zelda came out tomorrow, the usual
forum dwellers would go nuts about the need to
“grind” to get exp, new swords, new potions etc

in Living World

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

in Living World

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Raziel.4216:

That’s like saying everyone stole orcs and elfs from wow

Who stole it from DnD…

Who stole it from LotR…

Who stole it from Nordic and Germanic mythologies…

? ~It’s the circle of life!~ ?

in Living World

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

Hah.. funny. I give it a 3/10 on the trolling success scale. I like the part about the Dragon cycle, since it was put into the lore years before the game you’re comparing it too. Since, you know.. there was a Guild Wars, and this is Guild Wars 2. Also the whole idea of a cycle of things is not exactly unique.

The players experience a vision of the Eternal Alchemy, not specifically dragons. But sure, we “save” Taimi doing so, a very unique concept right there. Never seen that before, never have I seen anyone do such actions in movies, books, other games. Yup. Totally was from that one specific game!

Oh, and the Orders are working together, there’s multiple races? Oh, kinda like in Guild Wars? You know.. this is Guild Wars 2. I know that number two might be difficult to grasp, but this is actually the second of two games in the same fictional universe! It’s like.. mind blowing, I know. I’ll give you a moment to let it sink in.

Good effort though. I was entertained, would read again.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

in Living World

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

Hah.. funny. I give it a 3/10 on the trolling success scale. I like the part about the Dragon cycle, since it was put into the lore years before the game you’re comparing it too. Since, you know.. there was a Guild Wars, and this is Guild Wars 2. Also the whole idea of a cycle of things is not exactly unique.

I’m not here to support the OP, but you’re quite wrong there.

The concept of Elder Dragons were thought up as early as 2007. Mass Effect was released in November 2007, and by then it’d been in development for several years.

So no, there were no years between the conception of the Dragon cycle and Mass Effect’s release. It’s more likely neither affected the other, but there’s also a slight chance some devs or writers might have been involved in testing or got a hands-on trial from a relative or friend at BW and were influenced by the story. Even then it wouldn’t be a big deal, since the dragons had all potential to make for an exciting and unique story done in true Guild Wars fashion…

However, with this writing team all hopes of such an outcome were dashed long ago.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

in Living World

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

This. There is nothing original in Mass Effect.

in Living World

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Of course, here come the white knights to ride to Anet’s rescue.

At least one of those wasn’t a White Knight, chief. I hate to disappoint you. He’s been beating on the story for a while now. You just happened to pick one of the more bizarre arguments.

Nothing excuses sloppy writing (reusing tired old themes with a lot of “convenient” similarities to other RPGs),

. . . really? You want to start with that to bolster your “GW2 rips off ME” argument? Okay then.

I’ll be easy on you. Go read about the Monomyth and Hero’s Journey (two separate entities), then come back here and try this again. Until you decide to do your research about repetitive themes (TV Tropes is a good start) then I don’t think there’s much we can discuss here.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Living World

Tobias Trueflight.8350

This story is different from any other story ever!!!

Ley lines are involved!! Sam Spade is a girl! Honey Boo Boo got smarter! The extra had a Gold surplice, not a Red shirt! And so much more! Too many Snowflakes to list!!

Over 9000 exclamation points!!

Its so fantastic I hope Uwe Boll makes a Scarlett movie!! With Nicholas Gage as Scarlett!!

If it’s Scarlett Johansen as Scarlet Briar, I’m in.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Living World

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Tobias Trueflight.8350:

If it’s Scarlett Johansen as Scarlet Briar, I’m in.

Sadly, I don’t think Scarlett could pull off Scarlet’s maniacal laugh or hair….fronds(?).

I wouldn’t mind seeing her in the Magitech armor though.

in Living World

Posted by: Lord Krilik.3692

Lord Krilik.3692

Mass Effect:

Guild Wars 2:

Crucial Info

Eye of the North released in August 31st 2007

Mass Effect 1 released November 20th 2007

Guild Wars Eye of the North Plotline

Destroyers awaken every 10,000 years (Because they are lower minions of one of the Dragons).

Player sees vision of the destroyers in the pool within the Eye of the North (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chk3LwQ4s3Q)

Player unites races against the destroyers.

Conclusion

Arenanet did not rip off Mass Effect.

EDIT: Additional Info to make it even juicier

“The Destroyers are fiery, mindless creatures who are controlled through a hive-like mind by the Great Destroyer. Dwarven legends say that they are the heralds of the Great Destroyer and that their purpose is to clear Tyria of all life in order to prepare for their master’s final arrival. Although it was originally believed that the Great Destroyer is their master, they are ultimately subjects of the Elder Dragon Primordus.”

Link: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Destroyer

Very similar to the reapers. They even have similarities to the collectors and reapers in physical design (http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Reaper).

Even better coclusion

Mass Effect ripped off Eye of the North?

Of course they were clearly in production at the same time, so neither ripped the other off. The most likely story is that this is a coincidence. This is certainly not the first time such a story has been done.

Further to this. Art appears to move in trends. A good, recent example is the releases of Guild Wars 2, Dragon Age and Skyrim all happening within a short space of time. (2011-2012). Considering the lengthy development times we cannot assume they copied one-another.

We CAN assume that there was some forecasting and external influences (2012 was the year of the dragon) that inevitably lead to this trend. Anyone who has studied Psychology could explain to you that this is how people work. We are horribly influenced by our environments without necessarily realizing it, to the point where we all come up with the same ideas and do the same things while believing we are completely individual.

Fun stuff.

(edited by Lord Krilik.3692)

in Living World

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I think we can all agree that neither title is using completely original stories.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

in Living World

Posted by: Clear.8512

Clear.8512

in Living World

Posted by: Imperios.2543

Imperios.2543

Now we only need to have a Harbinger-like dragon champion.

in Living World

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Now we only need to have a Harbinger-like dragon champion.

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

in Living World

Posted by: Phalanix.7542

Phalanix.7542

Funny these ME reference threads are popping up. I was telling my guildmates during LS1 where I thought the Living Story was headed:

- Dragon Wakes up
- We get to choose an option of Blue, Green, Red to save the world
- Someone dies (I guess LS2 confirmed someone of authority will… lol)
- Dragon is defeated
- All waypoints blow up
To accommodate the loss of waypoints for traveling………….ANET introduces MOUNTS (like so many out there wanted).

^________________________________^’

in Living World

Posted by: Ariella Goldstein.3562

Ariella Goldstein.3562

Okay, this is silly. Nobody ripped anybody off.

However, with the machine, I do find the ME references coming from the peanut gallery fun, since I do love ME, and my Xbox is in the shop… Must get Mass Effect fix, even if from a twisted an tortured route.

in Living World

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Mass Effect:

Guild Wars 2:

You can’t seriously be claiming any of that wasn’t done long before Mass Effect.

in Living World

Posted by: geogyf.5087

geogyf.5087

All i can say that both titles stories are unoriginal.

hahahaha

in Living World

Posted by: MadDemon.7548

MadDemon.7548

GW2 copied Mass Effect, Mass Effect copied something else, that thing copied another thing, etc.

There are no original stories anymore. There are only variations of the same story.

in Living World

Posted by: Acidicore.3264

Acidicore.3264

Mass Effect ripped off H.P Lovecraft with their theme for the reapers. Someone go dig up ol’ Love and have him take Bioware to court!

in Living World

Posted by: Maris.3164

Maris.3164

You can blame the masses for unoriginal stories really. Everything is a rip off from something else because… it sells.

I find GW1 storyline more original than GW2 storyline but if you stray from the main story for a second you find lots and lots of original little stories all over the maps. Don’t walk around blindfolded, you might miss something really cool

in Living World

Posted by: JMadFour.9730

JMadFour.9730

Of course, here come the white knights to ride to Anet’s rescue.

funny to me how anyone who disagrees with you is a “white knight.”

the people who use that “defense” often are just kitten that people aren’t worshipping them for their incredibly insightful thoughts.

smh @ people whose gaming experience begins with the xbox 360.

“Quaggan is about to foo up your day.” – Romperoo

in Living World

Posted by: Rangersix.1754

Rangersix.1754

Dear OP, watch Babylon 5. Mass Effect is almost copy&pasted from that series.

in Living World

Posted by: blueembassy.1203

blueembassy.1203

Mass Effect contained NOTHING unique and unheard of (I enjoyed the game and played it for a long time, but still).

The thing you are referring to was first written by H. P. Lovecraft (hence name: lovecraftian myth). The story was about an ancient being that awakens at regular intervals and does something (I won’t spoil the story). It is entitled ‘The Call of Cthulhu’ (though there are other stories by Lovecraft that use the same symbols).

The fact that GW2 uses similar symbols doesn’t mean much. Except maybe this is a good idea?

in Living World

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

…. We CAN assume that there was some forecasting and external influences (2012 was the year of the dragon) that inevitably lead to this trend. Anyone who has studied Psychology could explain to you that this is how people work. We are horribly influenced by our environments without necessarily realizing it, to the point where we all come up with the same ideas and do the same things while believing we are completely individual.

Fun stuff.

2014 is the year of the Horse
Mounts Confirmed!

in Living World

Posted by: Styxx.1564

Styxx.1564

Thuggernaut has probably left the building (through the back door, quietly).

in Living World

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Thuggernaut, read what tropes are and then come back and say this.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Living World

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

Actually, Mass Effect came out in November 2007, while GW2 and its storyline were announced in March/April/May of 2007. Unless Anet came out with the storyline following Mass Effect’s announcement in 2006 (when it was not at all clear who the Reapers were or what they did), GW2 did not copy Mass Effect.

in Living World

Posted by: Thuggernaut.1250

Thuggernaut.1250

ya’ll can argue about tropes archetypes and all that garbage to your hearts’ content. you can say Shakespeare or whoever you want did everything first for any kitten on earth anyway. watch the youtube video from Mass Effect, then go and play the Omadd scene again.

also, someone above mentioned Harbinger, now that would be straight cash. we could actually get a real villain into instead of these mindless dragon zombies. how about a dragon/Harbinger assumes direct control and taunts the kitten out of the boring useless destiny’s edge fools? and hopefully dispose of that obnoxious Taimi too.

in Living World

Posted by: Lord Krilik.3692

Lord Krilik.3692

Ok I will repeat this once because I don’t think you read any of the comments:

1. The storyline for GW 2 regarding the dragons and their minions was written before Eye of the North released (Eye of the North was released to set up the events of GW2).

2. Eye of the North released BEFORE Mass Effect 1.

in Living World

Posted by: Malthurius.6870

Malthurius.6870

also, someone above mentioned Harbinger, now that would be straight cash. we could actually get a real villain into instead of these mindless dragon zombies. how about a dragon/Harbinger assumes direct control and taunts the kitten out of the boring useless destiny’s edge fools? and hopefully dispose of that obnoxious Taimi too.

If you think the dragons are mindless zombies then you haven’t been paying attention.

In the last few parts of the original personal story, and even now, the dragons show the ability to plan and defend themselves. They are far from mindless… single minded? Yeah, but far from mindless. Oh, and we had a Harbinger anyway, Scarlet, and people tend to not like her anyway (However, I thought she was alright as a villian.)