State of the game

State of the game

in Living World

Posted by: bigmonto.4215

bigmonto.4215

With Dailies, Achievement rewards, and ascended crafting, Anet is making Guild wars 2 more and more grindy. With the living story updates, it basically serves as a set of new Achievement to grind through, and serves little to advance any types of story or fun factor. All the while, the profession has becoming increasing unbalanced with Warrior completely over populates every single aspect of the game.

I think the way Anet introduces new content really needs to changes. These 2 week living world updates are too frequent and low quality, they also almost never introduce variety for Pvp players.

My suggestion is to do monthly pve content updates with monthly skill balance updates happening in the mid-month.

Monthly PvE content updates will increase the quality of the content, and allow the casuals time to fully enjoy the content, instead to have the feeling to grind though everything.

The monthly skill balance updates can be used to introduce new skill(s), or pvp game mode. One of the biggest enjoyment of PvP is create and test new builds. With traits and skill changes monthly, Pvp game-play will get a lot more variety as the favor build of the month gets changed constantly. Since players know a profession’s relative power gets adjusted monthly, we also will more likely stick to the profession we enjoy playing, or trying new profession we are interested in trying instead of all flocking to play a overpowered profession like warriors now. This may eliminates the needs to introduce higher tier or gear to keep players interested.

State of the game

in Living World

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

I really don’t understand people who call achievements grindy.

They are pointles and only serve the purpose of you feeling more rewarded for completing the content.
What you say? I can bash 150 pinatas and get some wings? Well, I don’t have to since it’s only a skin, but I like the wings therefore I am forced to do it.

I just watch the living stories pass by and if there is a reward I like I’ll do the achievements, otherwise I don’t care one bit.

Achievement points don’t make your x any bigger.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

State of the game

in Living World

Posted by: bigmonto.4215

bigmonto.4215

You are right achievement by itself is not that grindy. But the real issues is how it is tie to the living story updates.

Almost all of the living story updated are achievements grinds, seriously what else is there in the living story updates? If it was not for the achievements with the living story, all the new contents can be experienced in less than 1 hour. I would like more quality content and not time sink like open # of bags, or join # of mini games.

That why I propose 1 month content updates, so we may have more quality content that’s not just a achievement time sink.

The real grindy part of this game is the ascended gear crafting and to some extend dailies. Seriously 500 Empyreal Fragment and to a lesser extend Dragonite Ores per weapon is ridiculous. If Anet lower that to 200 or double or triple the Empyreal drops things would be fine.

State of the game

in Living World

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

I really don’t understand people who call achievements grindy.

What is a grind is rather personal. I happen to have a low threshold for doing what I consider irrelevant activities. This includes fighting hordes of the same enemies, opening doors over and over again, collecting X number of particular items. It’s especially intolerable when these activities seem to have no effect on the world. I prefer to do activities that advance some plot or actually make a change in the world (as minimal and temporal as those changes happen to be presently). When Arena Net gates content behind doing their achievements this is a grind for me. I didn’t particularly like fighting Scarlet’s Invasions as they felt immersion and manifesto breaking 1 and I grew weary of them after doing one invasion. Yet, I had to do many invasions just to progress the plot. As small as these plot updates are I still do them as I liked Guild wars lore (though I’m quickly falling out of love with it as the story revolves around Scarlet who I don’t find to be a very well written or presented villain). The same thing happened again this patch with the Halloween activities. I don’t particularly like the Mad King’s Labyrinth as it’s just boring for me to follow a chain of people around tagging mobs for loot, but I had to do many activities here to advance an achievement chain just to get the next part of the story. It’s time gating the story by making it mandatory to do the achievements, many of which are repetitive and boring for me.

1https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/speech/Are-we-trading-Dynamic-Events-for-Rifts/2671441

(edited by SirMoogie.9263)

State of the game

in Living World

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

The LS is a fill-up content until they open the game in China. They cant sell a game and an expansion to those people at once. It is not profitable They need to sell them the same game then then after an year maybe they can release an expansion.
Transforming GW2 in full Chinese must take a huge amount of work yet again doing the same thing with an expansion. The Chinese are not gonna miss out on living stories because they don’t change the world at all except a few dungeons.

State of the game

in Living World

Posted by: Paciunek.2496

Paciunek.2496

The real grindy part of this game is the ascended gear crafting and to some extend dailies. Seriously 500 Empyreal Fragment and to a lesser extend Dragonite Ores per weapon is ridiculous. If Anet lower that to 200 or double or triple the Empyreal drops things would be fine.

I think every person that actually play pve don’t have to complain about ascended mats drop. It’s nearly everywhere: chests, dungeons, fractals, wvw… I throw away full stacks, daily, and I don’t want more.