Tequatl Rising - Step in the right direction

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Reaction to the second phase of the September Living Story, Tequatl Rising, seems to be mixed so far, but I for one, think that this is a good thing. It’s an example of taking an existing part of the world and expanding upon it, making it more interesting and rewarding to complete. And because it’s (hopefully?) permanent content, players who haven’t visited Sparkfly Fen or who are unable to be present for the two weeks from Sep 17, don’t miss out on content. The new rewards and achievements are there for players to complete at their leisure, and the fact that Tequatl has a chance to drop Ascended mats and weapons means there’ll never be a shortage of players willing to take him on.

Of course I don’t want story-driven Living Story chapters to disappear, but interspersing them with “slower” months like September is exactly what I’ve been wanting ever since things took off after Secret of Southsun. Have one month dedicated to a new story chapter (that lasts for one month), then follow it with a break month consisting of festivals/returning content.

This is, of course, dependent on the assumption that Tequatl isn’t mysteriously going to stop giving out his new rewards/achievements after September is over. Has anyone heard any word from ANet as to whether the new Tequatl achievement category is permanent going forward?

in Living World

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I’m very excited at the idea that they’ll be revisiting all the dragon bosses. Hopefully Zhaitan and the Shatterer are next in line.

Of course the new rewards are an encouragement for players to give this much harder fight a go. I hope that in light of the other unfixed dragons, people will not resort to farming those instead. If Tequatl suddenly becomes a lot more work, then will people still want to put the time and effort in? I hope so. I also hope the battle in itself is fun and exciting enough to keep people coming back for more.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Living World

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

What I hope is that this time the best loot comes from successfully beating the event and not stalling it to farm champs…

And hopefully it will be also punishing to those who come to the event, jam their 1 key down and go AFK.

One – Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

What I hope is that this time the best loot comes from successfully beating the event and not stalling it to farm champs…

And hopefully it will be also punishing to those who come to the event, jam their 1 key down and go AFK.

Well, since you won’t get any drops from champs that spawn it would be quite stupid to farm said champs.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Tom Gore.4035

Well, since you won’t get any drops from champs that spawn it would be quite stupid to farm said champs.

It’s as if ANet learned something from the Invasions?

I’ve also heard you get no reward if you fail the event. Another lesson learned?

One – Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

I’ve also heard you get no reward if you fail the event. Another lesson learned?

Let’s see about that! I am sceptical about the 80 minimum requirement. This would make it impossible? at early/late hours. But we’ll see how hard it is when it comes out! I’m excited about the change nontheless and a step in the right direction indeed.

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

in Living World

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

I’m ok with the dragons and other such events being actual big events, if the server can handle it. As such those big events not happening that often is fine with me, there are enough other bonus chest champs around that just fall over when looked at and happening every hour.

in Living World

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I didnt like the combat design, it looks like they are trying to mind control players to do jumping stuff(aka further LS maybe), this is my first impression anything besides that more spawns and harder health pool means nothing.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in Living World

Posted by: ZenSwift.5918

ZenSwift.5918

Knowing my server if the event is too hard, or takes too long players will be discouraged to go back and try again.

Here’s a thought that some players might have:
The more champs/enemies that are killed during the event, the more loot you’ll get at the end. So that means draw out the battle to maximize loot quantity.

in Living World

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I didnt like the combat design, it looks like they are trying to mind control players to do jumping stuff(aka further LS maybe), this is my first impression anything besides that more spawns and harder health pool means nothing.

Are you referring to the shockwaves that must be jumped over?

in Living World

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

This looks really cool, but there is one big problem:

- The waypoint is contested and you need 1 minute to get back to the fight.

I know from numerous failed attemps at Temple of Grenth, that when players think it will be boring to come back walking, they simply stay there and wait to see if there is a reward for them, which means the event is scales for X players, but most of them aren’t fighting and everyone else can’t do anything against an event scaled for more players that are really fighting.

Even if you normally res, sometimes when the event is near its end, there is a chance you will be too far to get the reward so sometimes you don’t go to the waypoint if you think the event could end before you arrive.

This can be a big problem, specially if they’re increasing the dificulty and making the big guy run after 15 minutes. Player greed and lazyness is a factor that has to be counted and putting the waypoint too far will make this event unsuferable like Grenth when most players are doing this.

PS: I hope if they add achievements for controlling the turrets that if you help defending the turret you get the achievement too, or players will be trying to make the zombies kill the turret controller so they can get the achievement themselves.

in Living World

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

If you never want to kill Tequatl again, the change is good. After ~3rd day of failing the event, people will stop showing up. It’s Karka Queen 2.0.

in Living World

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

You dont know that people will never kill Tequatl because nobody exept for 60 People fought the new Version with a hard handicap. ( They all had Cleric Gear and other handicaps ) In fact they fought the real hard mode of the new Tequatl and for us, it will be easier because we wont have handicaps.
Just admit it. All you want is free loot, nothing more.

in Living World

Elbegast.6970

You dont know that people will never kill Tequatl because nobody exept for 60 People fought the new Version with a hard handicap. ( They all had Cleric Gear and other handicaps ) In fact they fought the real hard mode of the new Tequatl and for us, it will be easier because we wont have handicaps.

I don’t care about loot. You could give me a guaranteed ascended item at the end of every fractal and I still would not run the fractal. I chased those carrots on sticks for 8 years in WoW. I am done with the chase.

I know human nature and I know that people who scream for a challenge don’t really mean what they say. Humans, if given a choice, will always take the path of least resistance. If they fail at Tequatl, they will rapidly move on to something else. I hate being right about these things, I really do.

in Living World

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Reaction to the second phase of the September Living Story, Tequatl Rising, seems to be mixed so far, but I for one, think that this is a good thing. It’s an example of taking an existing part of the world and expanding upon it, making it more interesting and rewarding to complete. And because it’s (hopefully?) permanent content, players who haven’t visited Sparkfly Fen or who are unable to be present for the two weeks from Sep 17, don’t miss out on content. The new rewards and achievements are there for players to complete at their leisure, and the fact that Tequatl has a chance to drop Ascended mats and weapons means there’ll never be a shortage of players willing to take him on.

Of course I don’t want story-driven Living Story chapters to disappear, but interspersing them with “slower” months like September is exactly what I’ve been wanting ever since things took off after Secret of Southsun. Have one month dedicated to a new story chapter (that lasts for one month), then follow it with a break month consisting of festivals/returning content.

This is, of course, dependent on the assumption that Tequatl isn’t mysteriously going to stop giving out his new rewards/achievements after September is over. Has anyone heard any word from ANet as to whether the new Tequatl achievement category is permanent going forward?

I’m hoping that this will be done for ALL the dragons and it will be a rotating experience. Every two weeks? Every month? Every other month? I don’t care the rotation but permanent and rotating is the key to me liking this. When they aren’t on the rotation they go back to the old way of doing them. The rest of the time they are cool more challenging and more rewarding content. Here’s hoping.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Living World

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I don’t care about loot. You could give me a guaranteed ascended item at the end of every fractal and I still would not run the fractal. I chased those carrots on sticks for 8 years in WoW. I am done with the chase.

I know human nature and I know that people who scream for a challenge don’t really mean what they say. Humans, if given a choice, will always take the path of least resistance. If they fail at Tequatl, they will rapidly move on to something else. I hate being right about these things, I really do.

Be happy then, because you are wrong. Thinking that everyone acts the same is foolish. Why would anyone play Dark Souls if nobody really wants a challenge?

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

in Living World

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

Why wouldn’t it be permanent? It’s like a Dungeon revamp, but for a world boss.

About the WP being contested: it’s the same as in dungeons now, you can’t zerg bosses down like you could. It’s important to stay alive and ress those around you.

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

in Living World

Posted by: VoxShatterfall.5470

VoxShatterfall.5470

ANET learned the lesson after first implementing the champ loot on Jormag – none of the champs there (which constantly re-spawn) drop champ loot anymore (they initially did).

Commander Vox Shatterfall / Ward Zabach / Ifrit the Immolated
Angry Intent | Multiple Servers
WTB Razor Blade Free Candy!

in Living World

Posted by: dargosian.2704

dargosian.2704

Be happy then, because you are wrong. Thinking that everyone acts the same is foolish. Why would anyone play Dark Souls if nobody really wants a challenge?

BOOM!

Threadmancer, trollgineer, hecklementalist, and warrior. Forum warrior.

in Living World

Elbegast.6970

BOOM!

Well, hello there Dargo. Long time, no see. =D

I do hope I am wrong about Tequatl but my track record is impeccable. I have a 6th sense for failed content.

in Living World

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

People have been complaining about the dragons being too easy for like months. Now they make Tequatl harder and more complex, and people wouldn’t like the challenge?

Maybe we should reserve judgement on this content till we actually play it?

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

To the people complaining that the rewards for fighting Tequatl is likely to be insufficient if he’s too hard, if the revamped Dragon encounters instead gave guaranteed EXOTICS instead of Rares, would you consider it worth the effort?

in Living World

Elbegast.6970

To the people complaining that the rewards for fighting Tequatl is likely to be insufficient if he’s too hard, if the revamped Dragon encounters instead gave guaranteed EXOTICS instead of Rares, would you consider it worth the effort?

I wouldn’t consider it worth the effort even if it dropped a guaranteed precurser along with an ascended item. I’m not swayed by rewards.

in Living World

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

It remains to be seen if it is good or just another abandoned karka queen.

in Living World

Posted by: crystal.5930

crystal.5930

Exactly what I was going to say.

Chosovi Rose, Thomas Thorn, Crystalbrier, Bracken Farstone, Crassul, on Tarnished Coast
“Worshipping nonsense and imagination” — Hayden Herrera (paraphrased)

in Living World

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Just gotta say Cleric’s gear is not a Handicap. When I run Cleric’s or Magi gear, I am unstoppable (as a Ranger), and my pet turns into a nearly unkillable machine of death. If you mean handicap by having lower level gear or lower quality gear, I agree with you on that part.

It remains to be seen if it is good or just another abandoned karka queen.

Hopefully Anet learned from the Karka Queen and they adjusted their future updates accordingly. If not, then I fear that every dragon boss will end up just like the Karka Queen.

in Living World

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Keep in mind that they have mentioned revisiting the Karka Queen as well (if I remember correctly).

in Living World

Tom Gore.4035

Karka Queen will have upgraded loot (including a chance for an ascended weapon chest) so I predict KQ being much more busy than previously.

One – Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Kashrlyyk.5364

Kashrlyyk.5364

.-….

Because it is SINGLE PLAYER. You fail because YOU screwed up! In Guild Wars 2 you fail events if SOMEONE ELSE makes a mistake.

What I read about the changes sounds horrible and artificially convoluted. It also means you can probably forget about beating it at low population times.

in Living World

Posted by: Ice of Dragons.1637

Ice of Dragons.1637

This will be a update ? nice any links or other info ?

in Living World

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Are you referring to the shockwaves that must be jumped over?

No, that is excelent, the pads near the cannons is what im talking about.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Living World

Posted by: Vex.3021

Vex.3021

I’m not very excited about tequatl v2, i want new content not recycled stuff.

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I’m not very excited about tequatl v2, i want new content not recycled stuff.

Recycled stuff would however refer to something like another fight that had the exact same mobs and mechanics.
That is not the case here, since you are quite clearly getting a more or less new fight with several new mechanics.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

It’ll be busy the first week, then interest will decline, and it’ll be dead like karka queen.

in Living World

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

Whaaaat, we’re getting back the dragon content, event if it is just recycling? Yes!
No idea how this will make sense lore-wise (as it has been said that they’ll connect updates with living story), but glad to see that existing stuff is being improved and that we’ll get more exciting PvE events. The only issue that arises is 80 ppl necessary for completion – as mentioned, this could easily become yet another forgotten Karka Queen.

It remains to be seen how this will work out but Anet, thank you for not having another pointless festival this month, and actually looking into improving the existing content.
New dragon content would be much appreciated, though.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community