Unusual Earth Tremors

Unusual Earth Tremors

in Living World

Posted by: Avariz.8241

Avariz.8241

While adventuring in certain maps there are now noticeable periodic unusual earth tremors and the appearance of risens or other foes. This had me started thinking. As each elder dragon awoke each had cause land mass disturbances in their own individual way. Now that Mordremoth has awaken are the recent earth tremors and hostile pop ups attributable to Mordy? If the earth tremors are attributable to Mordy, is this an indication that Living Story season 2 would start earlier than people had anticipated?

Unusual Earth Tremors

in Living World

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

In wich map exaclty you noticed this? Because I’m completing the world with an alt and didn’t noticed anything weird so far.

Unusual Earth Tremors

in Living World

Posted by: Avariz.8241

Avariz.8241

In wich map exaclty you noticed this? Because I’m completing the world with an alt and didn’t noticed anything weird so far.

From the top of my head, the earth tremors and hostile pop ups happened periodically in Cursed Shore on the plain below the steps to the Gods’ Promenades at Anchorage.

Unusual Earth Tremors

in Living World

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

Some bosses when they spawn and when you fight them cause the earth to shake. Claw of jormag crashing for one. unless you where in magguma jungle I wouldn’t attach it to Mordy. It happens quite frequently unless it had a really long duration 5mins or more i wouldn’t think it was that out of the ordinary.

Unusual Earth Tremors

in Living World

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

OP is not imagining this. A lot of people have pointed out this happening in areas where there is no external cause. There was a discussion about it a while back, it might have been in the lore forum but I don’t recall.

Unusual Earth Tremors

in Living World

Posted by: Tom.8029

Tom.8029

In Guild Wars Prophecies near Lion’s Arch, there was a disturbance that resembled a tremor that resulted in a hole in the ground and the beginning of Guild Wars: Eye of the North and the arrival of a new foe known as the Destroyers. There may be no connection. But I felt like I should mention it.

Primordial Dragons [Drgn]
Fort Aspenwood Elementalist

Unusual Earth Tremors

in Living World

Posted by: Tamias.7059

Tamias.7059

OP is not imagining this. A lot of people have pointed out this happening in areas where there is no external cause. There was a discussion about it a while back, it might have been in the lore forum but I don’t recall.

You are correct

In Guild Wars Prophecies near Lion’s Arch, there was a disturbance that resembled a tremor that resulted in a hole in the ground and the beginning of Guild Wars: Eye of the North and the arrival of a new foe known as the Destroyers. There may be no connection. But I felt like I should mention it.

Yes, the Destroyers, the minions of Primordus, the first Elder Dragon to rise. Eye of the North took place in 1078 AE, the year that Primordus was originally supposed to awaken, but by killing the final boss, the Great Destroyer, we the players set back his awakening by a generation. We assumed the earthquakes were due to the Destroyers, but then we didn’t know any better at the time.

Here’s what the novel, Edge of Destiny, has to say on the matter:

Tyria should have known. The signs of the dragonrise were everywhere.
The earthquake that shook Rata Sum.
The tidal wave that carried ships into the streets of Lion’s Arch.
The geysers that erupted in the tundra beyond Hoelbrak.
The pall that hung over the Black Citadel.
Tyria had been wracked by such terrible birth pangs before.
The people should have guessed a dragon was rising.

This was in 1320 AE, 5 years before the start of the personal story and 7 years before present day. Prior to this, earthquakes and tidal waves were thought to be characteristic omens of Primordus and Zhaitan, respectively, but by the sounds of it they’re portents of any dragon rising—in conjunction, at least.

But all of these things happened before Kralkatorrik awoke. Mordremoth is awake now (or maybe he isn’t—maybe he’s just stirring, like Primordus was in 1078 AE). In any event, these birth pangs can only be a result of Scarlet’s actions, rather than a foreshadowing of their consequences. Mordremoth wasn’t “supposed” to awaken just yet—we delayed Primordus’ awakening by 42 years, and every Elder Dragon thereafter awoke within 50 ± 5 of the last…until now. Whatever Scarlet’s plan was, it involved awakening the dragon much, much earlier than it should have. We return to Canach’s dialogue, whilst imprisoned in Vigil’s Keep:

Canach: “So, you’ve killed Scarlet. I suppose you think you’re a hero. Tell me, did she say anything before you snuffed her out?”
Player: “She said Tyria would bow to a new master.”
Canach: “Speaking from experience, no one goes to these lengths without thinking they are doing some good. It raises a troubling question.”
Player: “Which is?”
Canach:“What good did she think she was doing?”
Player: “I can’t say.”

Victory Is Life Eternal [VILE]

Unusual Earth Tremors

in Living World

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

If it was caused by Destroyers again… I think it would be a really interesting choice given to the players: Which dragon to fight next? Primordus or Mordremoth?

Now that would be a choice

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Unusual Earth Tremors

in Living World

FlamingFoxx.1305

But we know it’s most likely Modremoth, given the cinematic at the end of the Living Story.

Also you can’t really get players to pick which dragon we should fight next, that would detract from the idea that the world is living. Player choices need to be initiated through logical things, such as the cut throat politics election. In the context of an election it made sense for the players choice to have an impact on what happened in the game world. But picking which dragon to fight doesn’t make sense, the answer should automatically be either both or which ever one is a greater threat at the moment.

Unusual Earth Tremors

in Living World

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Apart from us knowing that’s Mordi:

Let’s say, there are two dragons being a same threat at once. Pact and the players have resources to only deal with one at the moment and monitor the second.

So we have to choose one and let the other play, probably sacraficing the innocents/area terrorized by the second.

Seems even more logical for me. Picking one ED after one like they’re just sitting there, waiting in queue to be slain one by one. Doesn’t make much sense either.

And players’ decision of this value would really give a serious kick to the definition of Living World.

This is all discussion though, because we already know that S2 is almost finished or finished. We won’t face the dragon in LS (I hope!), but that gives general idea where are we heading.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Unusual Earth Tremors

in Living World

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I recall finding this ever since LS1 ended. Keep in mind you must have screen shake enabled.

Unusual Earth Tremors

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

It should be kept in mind that A LOT of events have natural earth-shaking effects to them. It is, as such, hard to tell if you’re experiencing something new, or if it’s just an event you usually aren’t around for. And this goes for everyone.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Unusual Earth Tremors

in Living World

FlamingFoxx.1305

It’s happened in Lions Arch where there are currently no events or anything… So yeah.

Unusual Earth Tremors

in Living World

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

I only noticed during my monthly jumper archivement that the Morgans Spiral JP had a lot more shaking than usual. Usually it has a second of shake about every 5-10 seconds. This time when i tried it, there was a period when it felt like it was shaking for a stable 5 seconds without an interruption.

At least i think i experienced it. Could have been anything on my end.

Unusual Earth Tremors

in Living World

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

I honestly think this is merely a side effect of them turning up the screen shake effect globally for whatever reason.

Go do any events in which screen shake was prevalent before – Megadestroyer’s surfacing for example. The screen shake there is now immense

‘Natural’ screen shake occurrences are probably accordingly magnified.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!