I didn't ask for a Jubilee

in Living World

Posted by: Feralwolf.7091

Feralwolf.7091

I can’t muster the strength to grind out the Kiel vs. Evon “content”. I didn’t yet finish grinding the kite people “content” (it’s so forgettable I can’t remember the name of it). I did the Sky Pirates dungeon once, and didn’t care to grind the rest of it. I grinded the heck out of Dragon Bash only because I wanted the rewards. It was absolutely no fun clicking pinatas. The only living story content I actually enjoyed was the Molten Alliance dungeon, and that lasted only 2 weeks. Now we have yet another festival, but wait… it’s called a jubilee, which just makes it much more embarrassing. Last week I finally finished the personal story, which the last 10 missions were one of the few examples of GW2 feeling epic.

At this point the only thing I have to look forward to is finishing my Dungeon Master title and Ascended armor. This story is almost completely dead to me. I wish the Living Story never was implemented. It’s so bad and disjointed.

I’ve been playing Guild Wars since the beginning of GW1. I’ve spent $200 on gems, because I’m old and have the money to burn. Please don’t tell me it ends this way. Will Guild Wars ever be EPIC again, or are we seriously celebrating a Jubilee in the 1st week of August for no reason at all? School starts at the end of this month, and no way am I wasting the rest of my summer with this soft, weak, and pathetic excuse for content.

Just rename the game from Guild Wars, because this game is surely not a War anymore, and rename the Living Story appropriately while you’re at it. Dead Story.

in Living World

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

No reason at all = birthday of the game?

in Living World

Feralwolf.7091

What game celebrates a birthday 3-4 weeks in advance? Mini-games must die. I must fight dragons… no not the pinata variety.

in Living World

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

What game celebrates a birthday 3-4 weeks in advance? Mini-games must die. I must fight dragons… no not the pinata variety.

The event releases last for a month, so this “jubilee” covers the game’s release anniversary. Second, they’ve said there won’t be any instanced mini-games this time around.

in Living World

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

You’re not alone. I have friends that have taken a break because they don’t feel like grinding out more festivals. They basically say they will return when some decent content comes out. Which worries me since we’ve had back to back festivals for a while now and halloween and wintersday is coming up i.e. more festivals.

Most people enjoyed the Molten Alliance over the others, I will say its the best Living STORY they have released since launch and we still don’t know who was the driving force behind it. And I really hope we haven’t meet that person yet because so far I can’t stand any of the characters they have introduced to us, except Evon but they’ll probably screw that up as well.

HIGH END FANTASY <- this is what the stories should be about. not low end social political rubbish. If I have to deal with one more employment contract or trade agreement I’ll probably end up joining my friends on the sidelines until a better story arc is released.

in Living World

Posted by: Axiom.6137

Axiom.6137

Living Story has managed to make holiday content, which is fun on occasion as a change of pace, into something I now want to gag over.

It’s overload of exactly the wrong kind of content and the now twice monthly pace has got to be a sure sign of insanity and not the creative, zany kind.

I love this game. I can even appreciate a lot of the new features that have been added over the last year. However, Living Story is actually driving me from the game, which I would assume is the opposite effect a developer would desire from an investment of time and resources into ongoing, free content.

I might be able to just ignore it, if not for the fact that it has eaten up all the resources that originally were intended to create bucket loads of new Dynamic Events across the game world. With the game world stuck on an infinite loop of what had originally been promised as dynamic content, but is now just theme park performances that repeat ad nauseum, it’s not content one can ignore, it’s content one who enjoys the open world can come to absolutely loathe with deep passion.

in Living World

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

@Axiom: word. The notion of a “living world” or “living story” originally made me hope that it breathe life back into empty zones. Instead, it empties the world even further by focusing so much on Lion’s Arch which is the overrun, overdone hub already, and temporary content. No, “spam the interact button” scavenger hunts do not count as breathing life into the open world.

I want to actively take part in high fantasy story, not be a silent errand runner in the “pirates, pirates and gimmick PvP” loop that the game is stuck in.

in Living World

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I have no problem with holidays in the midst of telling a living story. I have no problem with following a liturgical calendar; I actually prefer it in a game.

I do have a problem with the volume of temporary content, mini-games, mindlessly walking up and down roads, platformers as core game, etc., that has defined the LS to date.

Again, no problem with holidays, but it would have been good to follow up Colin’s blog post with something substantive of a permanent, evolutionary nature. We’re left to wonder exactly what will change and what will not.

in Living World

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

To everyone: This is not the 1 year Anniversary update. This is the Queens Jubilee.

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

To everyone: This is not the 1 year Anniversary update. This is the Queens Jubilee.

Which will most likely be the first part of the 1 year Anniversary update, since historically each chapter of the living story seems to be 2 parts spread over a month.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Antara.3189

Which will most likely be the first part of the 1 year Anniversary update, since historically each chapter of the living story seems to be 2 parts spread over a month.

That’s purely hypothetical. “Historically” speaking, it would not be far fetched to see this story tied into each other.

Granted, it has not been officially stated that the Queens Jubilee is related to the 1 year Anniversary of Guild Wars 2.

Without an official posting, statement that says this is the prelude to the anniversary of release, then anyone stating otherwise is simply telling others false information.

(edited by Antara.3189)

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

Without an official posting, statement that says this is the prelude to the anniversary of release, then anyone stating otherwise is simply telling others false information.

Wouldn’t that however also be the same case about saying how it is not tied to it?

I even think they actually said something about the anniversary when talking about this release a few weeks back. I’ll see if I can find it.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Antara.3189

Wouldn’t that however also be the same case about saying how it is not tied to it?

I even think they actually said something about the anniversary when talking about this release a few weeks back. I’ll see if I can find it.

There is no statement o the actual release page about the one year anniversary of Guild Wars 2 and this event. Even in recent 3rd party sights I have not seen any official statement with a link.

I vaguely remember a statement regarding QJ but also talked confirmed there will be a one year celebration, but nothing stating QJ is directly related.

So in regards to your questions. This is the “Queens Jubilee” not “1 Year Anniversary”

(edited by Antara.3189)

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

It is however confirmed that the QJ WILL be here for a month, which would mean that it will be here during the 1 Year Anniversary and could therefore be assume to be tied to the 1 Year Anniversary.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

The game had been good in terms of content and history until the Lost shore content.

Then, A-net make the worst decision of ever : Introduce the “Living story”. Its not a bad idea at all, but is really bad concepted. I want back the days of Mad king and Lost shores sort of content

in Living World

Feralwolf.7091

Thank you all for your replies. It gives me a bit of hope that Anet (or NCSoft if need be) will read our universal objection to this grindy crap being called content, and change the course of the game. This game has been in a tailspin since release. How can a company do so many right things before the release of a game, and so many wrong things after release? Announce an expansion or something for the love of God. Here’s to hoping that someone notices our unsatisfaction, and saves this game before the community leaves in droves.

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Colin Johanson: “I swung a sword, I swung a sword again. Hey! I swung it again, that’s great!”

ArenaNet let us know early on they didn’t want us to swing our swords again. That’s why all the content is turning into mini-games, elections, jumping puzzles and “I pressed the F key, I pressed the F key again. Hey! I pressed it again, that’s great!” “achievements”. Guild Wars 2: taking the achieve out of achievements and the combat out of the combat MMO.

in Living World

Posted by: Sexy Blanket.9653

Sexy Blanket.9653

Yeah, I’m bored of all this festival, omg we murdered Zhaitan, LA is sooooo 1337, go us we are amazzzingh!

(Personal story spoilers)

Where’s the Pact, wtf are they doing? Is Traherne scratching his nuts (he’s Sylvari it’s not explicit), letting everyone get drunk and get sucked into these dumb festivals? Why haven’t the Order of Whispers sent me on another assignment? Am I too cool for them now? Are they too shy to sent me mail? Are there no more secretes left….ANYWHERE?

Furthermore, when are we going to start getting besieged by another dragon? Can it destroy LA?

As you can tell the living story isn’t making alot of sense to me either.

Fires Of Wrath (WvW)/Lol Cannon (PvE)/Phantoms Breath (sPvP)

in Living World

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

The game has been out for a year and yet we’ve had barely any fresh content involving the other elder dragons or their minions. A festival here and there is fine, but GW2 has definitely gone overboard with them. Variety is the key to a memorable experience.

It doesn’t help that pretty much everything from the personal story is abandoned after you complete it. The ‘living world’ content is the same, since most of it is all temporary and therefore any build up is going to be lost on new players or anyone who is unable to log in whilst temporary content is available.

in Living World

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

Anet have taken the 3-4 times a year festivals of GW1, which everyone thought were nice fun diversions, completely misunderstood the nature of the affection for them, and made them into the entire game. If I didnt have good friends in GW2 that I like to use it to catch up with I would stop playing out of sheer disgust.

in Living World

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

The festivals aren’t the entire game. They have concentrated on them for the first year, because now they can set them on their regular cycle and go on to create non-festival content.

So every couple of months we see a return of a festival, giving them more time to beef up new content.

in Living World

Posted by: Comicus.4036

Comicus.4036

To be honest: I cannot give a hoot for this latest event. I am bored with chasing achievements and cannot get any enthusiasm for this. I will probably look at/do what is out in the open world as I can do that while playing normally. I will pop into the event to see if anything really catches my interest, but even the lure of “10g in 40 minutes” has not made me rush to it. Of the things offered I can say that I like the fact that it is not in LA. Temporary content, again, is too much for me. I want to enjoy a ‘living story’ but this story, since F&F, has become a race to get through mini games. I think it is time for me to concentrate on just playing my alts through areas I enjoy and levelling them to 80. I will not stop playing because I like the core GW2, but I will not stay on the AP/mini game train.