so much sylvari favoritism

in Living World

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

This main protagonist – the guy who saves us all from Zhaitan – is a sylvari. The main antagonist – the biggest threat since Abadon – is a sylvari. The first elder dragon added to the game since launch looks to be tied to the sylvari. The sylvari starting zone has as many jumping puzzles as all other starting zones combined. And before Lion’s Arch fell, the sylvari portal stood higher than the rest. Can you tell the devs really like the sylvari?

in Living World

Posted by: Arivain.2618

Arivain.2618

Yeah and the players seem to hate them. I like them, but I like my Asura just as much.

in Living World

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Ummm you can just as easily make an argument about humans.

The 1 year mini was Queen Jenna, we had a month long event that involved DR (along with gem store items for special access in DR), the bazzar of the 4 winds was another city of humans, etc.

Honestly, I bet just the dev’s making the rounds from race to race/it fits with the current story. In another year or two when we get to the next dragon, I’m sure it will have at least a couple of months build up with something relating to that racial area. Besides, we’re the ones who killed Zhaitan, he just go credit for it. Also, I’d say that the elder dragons hold the title of “biggest threat since Abadon”. Besides I’m sure many players are just happy that the story is taking a turn towards another dragon, I know I am (not the dragon I most want to kill, but I can wait. But please, when I kill Jormag, I want his tooth to hang in my home instance like in Holbrek).

in Living World

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Because we Sylvari are clearly the master race- the rest of Tyria has just not realized it yet
Mwha ha ha ha ha!

Gunnar’s Hold

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Hm?
I am rather sure that my party of five (charr, two norns, an asura and a human) “saved us from Zhaitan”.
I don’t see any Sylvari there.

But okay, to be fair we should also count DE and the Pact.
That accounts for 2 Sylvari (Caithe and Traherne) while it includes one more of each of the other races + Human, Asura and Charr (as leaders of the Orders).

My math is not the best, but unless I miscalculate something I would say that there were way more non-Sylvari involved in the defeat of Zhaitan than there were Sylvari.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Sergoros.4398

Sergoros.4398

Hm?
I am rather sure that my party of five (charr, two norns, an asura and a human) “saved us from Zhaitan”.
I don’t see any Sylvari there.

Nah everything was done thx to Treaharne. U all just was his minions and sidekicks. I bet u “heroes” did nothing. Cannons on this airship was autofiring. It just let u pull triggers, so u would feel special.

in Living World

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Sylvari are ANets most original race and one they created specifically for this game. It’s no surprise they are a focus point of the story.

Even one of the writers once said the liked the Sylvari most.

So none of this is really surprising, not that it bothers me much. Personally I think Asura are the greatest master race and clearly they agree.

in Living World

Posted by: luxymonsteri.1078

luxymonsteri.1078

Sylvari are the only race that do not have a lot of GW1 material backing up their lore and appearances, and considering how new they are, they need all the attention they can simply get. Their lore still has huge gaps to fill, their culture is still a bit on the “meh??” side when looked at in-game. And Trahearne didn’t save us from Zhaitan (nor did Caithe) but he gave us a way to get to Zhaitan by sacrificing his whole salad life to charting, exploring and studying Orr. :P

And really, if you want to talk about favouritism, look at the humans. They had the whole GW1 for themselves and yet still the most lore-important characters are mostly human.

in Living World

Posted by: oneeyedirishman.6835

oneeyedirishman.6835

The first elder dragon added to the game since launch looks to be tied to the sylvari.

For the Living Story at least, that’s only because we happened to get Mordremoth first. Expect heavy emphasis on the Asura when we go after Primordus, Norn when we go after Jormag, etc. Hang in there. Your race of choice will get its day.

in Living World

Posted by: Ominous.7583

Ominous.7583

I’ll admit a few things.
1. I HATE elves, and before this game came out this is how I saw them.
however I have too say they have grown on me since then (no pun intended)
but I do agree they get way to much attention how about showing us big hairy charr some love as they are after all the coolest race in the game. :P

-Ironcurtain

in Living World

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

This main protagonist – the guy who saves us all from Zhaitan – is a sylvari. The main antagonist – the biggest threat since Abadon – is a sylvari. The first elder dragon added to the game since launch looks to be tied to the sylvari. The sylvari starting zone has as many jumping puzzles as all other starting zones combined. And before Lion’s Arch fell, the sylvari portal stood higher than the rest. Can you tell the devs really like the sylvari?

omg yes… I’m SO.. SICK.. of Sylvari… And it looks like we’re gonna have an entire PS revolving around the Sylvari. Ok, we get it Anet, you love them. you don’t have to make a game that revolves around them.

To add insult to injury, the 2nd most played race: Norn has gotten the least focus of anyone since launch. of course Brahm is the least developed, wimpy of the new DE even though he’s the race that should be the strongest (although they retconned that). So much personal bias in the writing.

For the Living Story at least, that’s only because we happened to get Mordremoth first. Expect heavy emphasis on the Asura when we go after Primordus, Norn when we go after Jormag, etc. Hang in there. Your race of choice will get its day.

we’ve already had a focus on the Sylvari. Now we get another Sylvari story? How long do you expect people to “Hold in there”? 4 years?

Sylvari are the only race that do not have a lot of GW1 material backing up their lore and appearances, and considering how new they are, they need all the attention they can simply get.

Oh please.. the Norn still have less lore than the Sylvari. Jora. that’s their whole contribution to the lore. They even made sure to ad dialog mocking the breaking of Jormags tooth. Just so they could play down the importance. They are dumber than all the other races, they aren’t even as strong as the Charr anymore, they have almost no magical abilities(& the shaman’s are meaningless now that Scarlet & the Asura could just pop in & out of the mists willy nilly), they can’t even craft as well as the Sylvari now. It’s laughably obvious the people writing just don’t like the Norn that much & love the syvari & they’ve made sure to make them the most throw-away race in the game.

My math is not the best, but unless I miscalculate something I would say that there were way more non-Sylvari involved in the defeat of Zhaitan than there were Sylvari.

Maybe you can explain how # of each race = focus? Because there is more focus on Trehearn though all the story than any single person.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

in Living World

Posted by: Leshain.6720

Leshain.6720

I don’t know much about Guild Wars Lore in general, but I think it has to do with the fact that the Sylvari are the newest playable race. With Traherne, Canach, Caith and Scarlet, they are building Lore for them, albeit….. Junk lore.

They have some of the best Voice acting in the game though. But yeah, mo’ steampunk human focus would be nice.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

^ Ehhh, I’d rather not. I’m not a big fan of steampunk, and I kind of hate the way it seems to be taking over the GW2 world.

in Living World

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

Yeah, and my main is a Sylvari ele! This cant be a coincidence!

omg yes… I’m SO.. SICK.. of Sylvari… And it looks like we’re gonna have an entire PS revolving around the Sylvari. Ok, we get it Anet, you love them. you don’t have to make a game that revolves around them.

To add insult to injury, the 2nd most played race: Norn has gotten the least focus of anyone since launch. of course Brahm is the least developed, wimpy of the new DE even though he’s the race that should be the strongest (although they retconned that). So much personal bias in the writing.

we’ve already had a focus on the Sylvari. Now we get another Sylvari story? How long do you expect people to “Hold in there”? 4 years?

Sylvari are the only race that do not have a lot of GW1 material backing up their lore and appearances, and considering how new they are, they need all the attention they can simply get.

Oh please.. the Norn still have less lore than the Sylvari. Jora. that’s their whole contribution to the lore. They even made sure to ad dialog mocking the breaking of Jormags tooth. Just so they could play down the importance. They are dumber than all the other races, they aren’t even as strong as the Charr anymore, they have almost no magical abilities(& the shaman’s are meaningless now that Scarlet & the Asura could just pop in & out of the mists willy nilly), they can’t even craft as well as the Sylvari now. It’s laughably obvious the people writing just don’t like the Norn that much & love the syvari & they’ve made sure to make them the most throw-away race in the game.

Maybe you can explain how # of each race = focus? Because there is more focus on Trehearn though all the story than any single person.

Well, the Norn ARE pretty one-dimensional.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

in Living World

Posted by: CaptainVanguard.4925

CaptainVanguard.4925

The Sylvari storyline is coming to a close, I think of the personal story and living story as chapters 1 and 2 of the Sylvari chain, with Mordremoth being the final chapter in the Sylvari, for a while I suspect.

They have a final story to tell and I’m happy to let them tell it, but after this id like the other races to get “a lot” more attention, I do want the Sylvari heavy theme of Mordremoth to be just that however, Sylvari heavy.

Make enough Sylvari content that it focuses entirely on giving a kitten about this one race of plant people, and in turn their contribution to the world they can give back to it for helping them.

This final Sylvari themed story should focus entirely on Sylvari character development and I emphasis “Character” not race.

This means:
Canach, Caithe, Faolain, Malyck, Treaherne, (Possibly a return to Sieren).

I would focus heavily on these guys being the main people that need major char development in this arc.

Also, maybe a small nod to Scarlet post her death with a bit of exposition back story about what Scarlet knew about Caithe and how she found out.

Is it favoritism? Yes, Is it needed, yes.

While id like more Charr and Norn stuff, and Asura stuff, I do think Sylvari need to have their story finished especially the way LS S1 ended, it set up the stage for Sylvari’s tale to come to its final closure in the next chapter which is greatly needed.

in Living World

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

First off, the Salad people are the driving force behind the game’s main storyline. Without them, there would be no GW2. The plants did appear when the dragons started waking up. The Dragons and Sylvari are connected in some way. This connection is a mysterious one that is worth exploring.

Plus the NPCs for this group are more complex. They’ve got strengths, flaws, and obsessions. Take Caithe for example: She is obsessed with re-establishing Destiny’s Edge, her friends and posse. There is her romantic struggles with Faolain. There are suggestions in the PS that she is leaning towards Nightmare despite her assertion that she is a Dreamer. It possible that Caithe’s secret is that she has already joined Nightmare. If a sylvari PC is dusk or night cycle, Caithe opens up more and tries to establish a closer relationship.

It’s also possible that the devs are bored by the storylines for the other races.

For example, humans in this game aren’t as amazing as in GW1, and that goes double for Logan, whose great-great-granny was an awesome, unique, spicy character to have on the Heroes team. Logan himself is too bland and follows the rules too much. There isn’t anything interesting about a guy who lives like an asexual monk and serves the Queen as if she is a goddess. He’s too straight-laced. Plus, he lacks serious flaws and neuroses that make any character interesting. Gwen, Logan’s ancestor, had those flaws and neuroses thanks to her experience during the Searing. Because of this guy I couldn’t get past level 10 in the human storyline. Plus the human storyline is too similar to the Sylvari PS anyways.

The Asuras in this game are in a similar conundrum. I loved the Asura in Eye of the North, partly because of their more attractive design and partly because of their unique personalities. The Asuras in this game come across as cruel and arrogant like Zoija and Omadd. See Scarlet Briar’s story, What Scarlet Saw, if you don’t believe me. Even Asura RPers refuse to break this mold in free form RP. There is very little variation in personality between all the little guys. I was forced to stop playing Asura because of the attitude from the NPCs and RPers.

In Eye of the North, there were compassionate Asura like Vekk and unethical little buggers like Gadd (aka Vekk’s father and the inspiration for Inquest). Vekk was annoying in the beginning by calling the PC a bookah, but the fact that he sticks around the hero despite his personal bias said that there was more to him than what the player initally saw. Then there was Oola, a paranoid Asura who was obsessed with her golems esp. security golems.

(edited by kta.6502)

in Living World

kta.6502

This final Sylvari themed story should focus entirely on Sylvari character development and I emphasis “Character” not race.

This means:
Canach, Caithe, Faolain, Malyck, Treaherne, (Possibly a return to Sieren).

I would focus heavily on these guys being the main people that need major char development in this arc.

Also, maybe a small nod to Scarlet post her death with a bit of exposition back story about what Scarlet knew about Caithe and how she found out.

Is it favoritism? Yes, Is it needed, yes.

I agree with this. The Sylvari NPCs need much more development because of where the PS left off. I want to find out Caithe’s secret, and I also want an opportunity to get back at Trehearne for treating my main character (lv. 80 Sylvari Fire / Condition Damage Engie) as dirt during the PS. I want to know if Malyck found his family. Hopefully, we’ll see Canach start a new life.

(edited by kta.6502)

in Living World

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

*First off, the Salad people are the driving force behind the game’s main storyline. Without them, there would be no GW2.

Thank you for pointing out THE WHOLE PROBLEM. Most people are not that interested in the Sylvari. that’s why they are 2nd to last in character choice. Anet making them the focus is what’s bad.

in Living World

Posted by: bullyrook.2165

bullyrook.2165

Nah, it all makes sense now that they are being set up as dragon minions. Imagine the shock! Your closest allies, even yourself, may turn out to have been created by the world’s gravest threat.

in Living World

kta.6502

Nah, it all makes sense now that they are being set up as dragon minions. Imagine the shock! Your closest allies, even yourself, may turn out to have been created by the world’s gravest threat.

Maybe they are children of Modremoth.

I’ve been getting this idea that Mordremoth is either the Pale Tree’s dark side or her evil ex-husband. I don’t think the tree is a dragon champion because she has 4 champions who protect her (aka the Luminaries). It’s curious that Pale Tree insists on assigning her children the role of dragon-slayers.

(edited by kta.6502)

in Living World

Posted by: bullyrook.2165

bullyrook.2165

Same reason Glint did: if Mordremoth finds her, he will kill her.

in Living World

Posted by: Drakonis.4579

Drakonis.4579

Well, the Norn ARE pretty one-dimensional.

The same could be said of every race if we were to analyze their basic traits and general personalities.

in Living World

Posted by: JazKW.6547

JazKW.6547

I see everyone wanting to kill Jormag, why not Kralkatorik? A mountain sized dragon with a 1000 foot wingspan that blocks out the sun…. Why not Ol’Kralky?

in Living World

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

Something about the Sylvari- their conversational obsession with “The Dream”- they remind me a bit of “those” friends I had growing up in northern California- you know the ones I mean, also coincidentally very into herbology.

And yes, it seems Anet does like to use sylvari a lot in this game, likely because they’re new to this game.

There are a lot of humans as well, due to them being the main characters of GW1, and charr are introdiced as friendly NPC’s a lot to drive home the charr-human truce.

Norn and Asura seem rather underrepresented. The Norn I kinda get- while there’s certainly a vibrant an interesting culture, they mostly seem like large, Nordic humans.

The Norn at least got some focus in Flame and Frost, and a representative (Braham) in Destiny’s Edge 2: Electric Boogaloo. We asura got a child who came in late in the story and did nothing.

At least we have the Super Adventure Box to keep us busy- I have high hopes for April, Anet.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

in Living World

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

If a sylvari PC is dusk or night cycle, Caithe opens up more and tries to establish a closer relationship.

Wait what? Time to make a third Sylvari!

As for Trahearne. He’s not really the main protagonist nor did he save everyone from Zhaitan. His Wyld Hunt was to reverse the corruption inflicted upon Orr (which we help him do). He’s not at all present for the Zhaitan battle. Caithe and the Sylvari PC’s Wyld Hunt is to defeat Zhaitan. But this really isn’t that influential either. It’s pretty much mutually decided between the orders and races that Zhaitan is a threat to get rid of.

Whatever race your character is + Destiny’s Edge (multi racial) are the main heroes of the Zhaitan battle.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

(edited by Sera.6539)

in Living World

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

First off, the Salad people are the driving force behind the game’s main storyline. Without them, there would be no GW2. The plants did appear when the dragons started waking up. The Dragons and Sylvari are connected in some way. This connection is a mysterious one that is worth exploring.

There may be a connection, but to say that without them there would be no GW2 is kind of ludicrous, sorry.

Plus the NPCs for this group are more complex. They’ve got strengths, flaws, and obsessions.

That goes for all races except the Sylvari. There’s nothing complex about them at all. Either they are ‘save the world and make everyone work together because they are too dumb to figure that out by themselves’ or they are not. There’s no middle ground. Sylvari are always perfect in whatever they do. Caithe is a perfect thief and portayed as the only one not stupid enough to realize cooperation is the key to victory. Trahearne is the same and gets an uberpowerful magic sword to boot. One of the best blacksmiths according to the story is a Sylvari (chosen over a Charr no less!). Sylvari are immune to dragon corruption. Sylvari can view the future. Scarlet (Sylvari) is the smartest being on the planet. Even the flawed Sylvari, Canach, causes more trouble than most other minor villans.

Personally, I’m kinda sick of the ‘if it is something special, a Sylvari did it’ attitude that keeps popping up through the entire lore. For once, let the Pale Tree be just that…a frikkin tree!

It’s also possible that the devs are bored by the storylines for the other races.

For example, humans in this game aren’t as amazing as in GW1, and that goes double for Logan, whose great-great-granny was an awesome, unique, spicy character to have on the Heroes team. Logan himself is too bland and follows the rules too much.

That’s because THAT is his flaw. He’s been so torn up by the Destiny’s Edge breakup that he’s trying to be a perfect person in every other way. He’s still atoning for something he ultimately knows he’d have done again if he could change it. At the first meeting with his old groupmates, he immediately goes aggressive towards Rytlock. A noble, smart and bland person wouldn’t have done that.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I’m not a fan of the Slyvari or how ever the hell you spell there name. There is not one thing I like about the. At all I he whole game. From models weapons right up to there charectors and lore. There is nothing more I would like more than to see them wiped from the face of Tyria. I like every other race in the game. Or something about them. But the sylvari just done sit right with me. There whole exzistance just feels like an kitten pull.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|