If Scarlet is "good", why kidnap Jennah?

in The Origins of Madness

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

May contain spoilers, stop reading now if you don’t want any.
Scarlet may very well be “good” and after the dragons, as theorized by many as of lately. Especially so after this release.
But it doesn’t explain why she would kidnap Queen Jennah during the queen’s speech LS.

Most of her stuff can be explained… more or less… if she indeed is after the dragons:
Molten Alliance – She needs weapons to fight the dragons.
Aetherblade – She needs high tech and airships to fight flying enemies.
Toxic Allieance – She needs a strong neurotoxin to … tranquilize a dragon?
Watchwork/Twisted – Build a huge robot to fight the dragons with… apparently.
The invasions – Weapons testing. Gotta make sure the weapons work properly.
The marionette encounter – Weapons testing, she even says it and asks us to not die or give up as opposed to before when she went all “die die die, die die die” on us for messing with her plans.
Why not just ask us to help kill the dragons? – Because she needs to fuly awaken them to fight them and we wouldn’t agree to that. She also thinks very highly of herself and rather the opposite of anyone else so she wouldn’t trust anyone but herself to do it.
But one thing that I have a very hard time to make sense of is why she would try to kidnap Queen Jennah? If it would be assumed that Scarlet would be “good”, what reason would she have to kidnap Jennah?

A somewhat farfetched theory I just randomly came up with could be that she wants to “reactivate” Destiny’s Edge and kidnapping Jennah would give Logan a reason to wake up.
More or less supported by that she attacked charr and norn – “reactivate” Rytlock and Eir.
She has also “reactivated” Caithe as seen in the Twilight Arbor.
Some ANet staff mentioned in a livestream late last year that some voice actors were very hard to book a time with and specifically pointed out Zojja’s voice actor Felicia Day as one of them, which would explain the lack of Zojja.
Zojja might come now that Taimi is here as Taimi seems to be related to Zojja somehow.

But as mentioned, it feels a bit farfetched.
Anyone have any better idea?

Posted by: Aajolea.8132

Aajolea.8132

She isn’t good. Attacking forces posed against dragons such as pact and many of the races threatens by dragons. Not even using her force against dragon minions or lieutenants, not even testing them against them, just against forces of ‘good’. Theory may be nice, but reality of actions is quite the opposite.

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

She also, y’know, did a little more than just kidnapping in DR. Slaughter of civilians ring any bells?

Plus the MA raiders she loosed on Diessa and the foothills.

She certainly doesn’t need to be assaulting the dragons’ primary opposition to ‘test’ her weapons.

Disciple of Quag

Mikuchan.7261

Whether she tests the weapons on the dragon’s primary opposition or not isn’t really relevant. She trusts only herself. Also we are her main opposition so why not test the weapons on us?
Also, referring to the flame and frost and DR drama, it’s much easier to get civilians to test on since they’re defenseless. There she wanted to test the effect of the molten weapons and the twisted watchwork.
Now she wants to test her defenses as well which is why she has started testing them with us instead since she noticed that we are pretty good at countering her.
Dragon minions wouldn’t do anything to her and dragon lieutenants would be too dangerous to test on before she knows how potent her stuff is.

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

There is nothing ‘good’ about Scarlett – literally or figuratively.

SBI

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

sigh.. if scarlet isn’t malevolent then she’s exceedingly moronic
i honestly don’t even think i need to explain that statement

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Mikuchan.7261

sigh.. if scarlet isn’t malevolent then she’s exceedingly moronic
i honestly don’t even think i need to explain that statement

She is “moronic” in a sense, yes.
She stared into the essence of the eternal alchemy and lost her sanity.
Omadd led her to do that and after that she hated him with all of her heart and decided to kill him on the spot.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

do not scroll over the spoiler

i wondered if it was some sort of psychopathic homicide, but seeing her mentors photo in the cave and the state of it, i really feel sorry for her now

i’m curious as to what the whole caithe ‘thing’ was about.. she intended to abduct her also

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

(edited by cheshirefox.7026)

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

Jennah saved an elder dragon from being killed so of course she is evil….

No one can deny this fact

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

Uh, dearie, we didn’t have anything to do with her before she started her ‘testing’. That started long before we had any idea who she was, let alone being her opposition.

Disciple of Quag

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Because Jennah is really the evil mastermind? I mean she did mindkitten Logan…

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Zyphent.2967

Zyphent.2967

Are people really throwing around that she is “good”?

She may not be maliciously trying to destroy us all (maybe), but that doesn’t mean she is good. She is just pursuing her own goals, its not so black and white.

Posted by: enos.1580

enos.1580

But as mentioned, it feels a bit farfetched.
Anyone have any better idea?

Yeah. She’s just a terrible character that high-up pressure keeps in the game. There’s no point to anything she does, nor competent writing or plausibility.

—Arakny, 80 Engineer
—Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

She could have joined up with the Pact instead of doing all this.
The idea of a Sylvari taking on their own destiny was an interesting idea.
It just didn’t pan out well on her, not little Miss “Die die die die die die!”

I have, however, enjoyed how she’s more serious in this release.
The problem with that is she should have taken this approach when we first met her for me to enjoy this character.

So she’s collecting elemental powers via technology if the Priory NPC was correct.
If so she should have shot down the Zephyrites, because their air magic was superior to most conventional stuff.

I doubt she’s “good” because she’s barely a good character now.
I fear that the writers will try to make some sort of redemption moment for her, or at worst try to have us fight alongside her.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Scarlet could be good… but she is possessed/corrupted. She is being controlled by the dragons, as per her journal. Everything she has done has been for whatever is controlling her at this point.

Posted by: The Spiral King.2483

The Spiral King.2483

Scarlet good? Is this the same Scarlet who launched a terrorist attack on DR, killed loads of civilians, assassinated a high ranking leader of a bipartisan city, captured civilians for horrifying testing and experimentation, in general has unleashed loads of minions with no thought for collateral damage or deaths, and has acted completely and gleefully satisfied with all of this? Not even this writing team would have the gall to pull a, “but she was trying to protect us all along/but she was fighting the elder dragons, seriously.”

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

i wondered if it was some sort of psychopathic homicide, but seeing her mentors photo in the cave and the state of it, i really feel sorry for her now

Speaking of the cave thing – did anyone else see that chart of “potential alliances” on the wall? Most were crossed out in red ink, the most hilarious one seemed to be Centaur + Quaggan. The Aquatic Equestrian alliance?

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Scarlet could be good… but she is possessed/corrupted. She is being controlled by the dragons, as per her journal. Everything she has done has been for whatever is controlling her at this point.

Which means we don’t want her to kill herself. She doesn’t deserve the Saren treatment (for those who have played Mass Effect).

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Bloodstone, anyone?

Posted by: Kriknav.9268

Kriknav.9268

I don’t think Scarlet ever intended to kidnap the Queen. If you recall, she wasn’t successful as it was a trick. When have we known Scarlet to be surprised by anything we do. I think she knew it was a trick and played along. It could be, as you said, to re-activate Logan or it could have been completely for show to keep focus off of something else.

Mikuchan.7261

Jennah saved an elder dragon from being killed so of course she is evil….

No one can deny this fact

/thread, lol

I don’t think Scarlet ever intended to kidnap the Queen. If you recall, she wasn’t successful as it was a trick. When have we known Scarlet to be surprised by anything we do. I think she knew it was a trick and played along. It could be, as you said, to re-activate Logan or it could have been completely for show to keep focus off of something else.

As Scarlet seems to “know everything”, it’s not impossible that she knew that it wasn’t the real queen but instead intended to show the people, or mainly Logan, how little he knows about her and how little she trusts him.
But I don’t know why she would do that… It’s right back to the “re-activation” of Logan in that case. But I still see that a bit farfetched.

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Scarlet sounds like someone who had a good intention (saving Tyria) using bad method (burning it? or watch it burn?).

All these alliances are her way to test the Pact if they can really handle the dragons, because if they fail on stopping her, then she’s the last hope of Tyria. However if the Pact beat her, then she has fulfilled her purpose on testing the conviction and strength of the Pact.

These whole thing bears resemblance to Laxos trying to make that Fairy Tail guild stronger. cliche.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

There is no way she is “good” now… whatever (*cough Mordemoth *cough) warped her mind and gave her visions of destruction and death has transformed her.

She is Evil now.