Feedback regarding the music [merged]

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

From what I read of your posts Thomas you have spent your time telling everyone that your concerns are more important than theirs. Unless you bought everyone elses game then you have no right to tell people they should not be posting complaints about Scarlet or the trailer music.

People have a right to complain or compliment and the forum is the place for that, if you want contented players then go talk ingame as that is where they all are. Complaining about people complaining is neither constructive or helpful.

The music is bad, the more people that point this out the more likely the next time the music will be better and perhaps be more reminiscent of the quality fantasy music we have had before.

Just so we are clear, you -have- been fairly rude, insisting that you have not attempted to be does not make the issue better. If you have been doing it without trying then you really need to start reading what you type much more carefully.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Clearly using that music for the trailer works though.
I don’t think we have seen an discussion about a trailer as active as those about this trailer ever before

And as I have stated before, the music not fitting might very well be the point.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Rixxon.7531

Rixxon.7531

I love metal/rock but the song itself just didn’t quite hit the mark. It is generic and just not well arranged. I would love to hear more guitar in trailers but not this way, this is like a cheesy tryhard powermetalish demo from a garage bands guitarist. Also, metal works well with the GW atmosphere, look up “Fire of Spirit: Guild Wars” on youtube.

(edited by Rixxon.7531)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Marquie Thomas.1873

Marquie Thomas.1873

From what I read of your posts Thomas you have spent your time telling everyone that your concerns are more important than theirs. Unless you bought everyone elses game then you have no right to tell people they should not be posting complaints about Scarlet or the trailer music.

People have a right to complain or compliment and the forum is the place for that, if you want contented players then go talk ingame as that is where they all are. Complaining about people complaining is neither constructive or helpful.

The music is bad, the more people that point this out the more likely the next time the music will be better and perhaps be more reminiscent of the quality fantasy music we have had before.

Just so we are clear, you -have- been fairly rude, insisting that you have not attempted to be does not make the issue better. If you have been doing it without trying then you really need to start reading what you type much more carefully.

Just to make my self clear the music used in the trailer has done what its supposed to do for starter’s the music is to promote the contest/content the music is yes unfitting any one with some common sense can understand why its a nightmare theme you aren’t suppose to have the norm in a nightmare which is suppose to be abnormal so why not use abnormale music to promote it cause its something distorted and not what GW2 players are use to hearing thats what makes the trailer that much more understandable.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I love the music and it fits perfectly to the trailer and the event’s that is just happening.

I compose music on my spare time and I have made quite a few for low-budget movies and games and in my opinion making a song fit in to the story and the events that is happening at that moment is hard.
But what you have to clearly see when you are working with things like this is that you have to be open for all kinds of music, not just classic music and so on. Guild Wars is filled with classical segments and orechestial music and it could have been unfitting in this event. Even if you hate scarlet or not she is still kinda punky, rebellious and crazy, the Kraits are dark and evil and is now also glowing green-ish and the whole sceenery is quite dark with this dark glowig colours, if I would set music to that I would choose something dark and evil like with an orchestra but now we know Krats are agile and quick so battles and happening won’t be slow so the music as to be dark and evil but still kind of fast and we shall not forget that the theme of the event is that it is an assault so it has to be with a little touch of heroic too, like in movies where the hero is beaten to the ground but he/she finally finds something to turn the tide and he/she rise up an pummles to villian and the music is mostly then kinda hard with distorted guitars.

Anyway, I like the music I hope there will be more changes to the music not that I don’t like tha music that is now, in fact I love it but I would like a little more variety.
It’s so easy to complain in MMO forums that it sounds like everything is bad with the games… Well it is if you but all the worlds complaints about this game in to one place, I am sure no part of this game is good then.

But in another point of view I can see this being very bad as for an example some use in these forum… ‘You would not hear heavy metal soundtrack in Lord of the Rings’, but in defence of that, LotR is a pure fantasy while Guild Wars is pretty High-fantasy/steampunk and as for this steampunk(Aetherblades) part I would say Distorted Guitars fits just perfect.

Sorry for my ramblings and for my english eumm… I bet it was realy bad this time

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: LunarNacht.8913

LunarNacht.8913

The music made me think of final fantasy boss fights.
That can’t be bad.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

But what you have to clearly see when you are working with things like this is that you have to be open for all kinds of music, not just classic music and so on.

of course you have to be open to all kinds of music but it still has to fit into the video and the overall atmosphere of the setting you are trying to portray, which it does not.

Here we have this mysterious tower which we about about to explore, it is dark, gloomy and foreboding – cue cheesy 80’s guitar rock track. This isn’t SAB.

Its obvious that it was chosen to support the guitar competition. I just think they should of released two videos before ruining the trailer.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Iluzija.1798

Iluzija.1798

I remember reading in the comments someone saying it was like a bad fan AMV, I couldnt agree more.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

I’m fine with metal, the problem is that the track there wasn’t good enough. The arrangement and the mixing/distortion/effects are just not on par with the other music in game.

I don’t mean to be down on anyone if this is like a studio recording of someone’s band but yeah, I would expect the bar to be set as high for future metal tracks as Jeremy Soule set it for the current orchestral. That’s extremely high, but there it is.

Have a look at this guy for some ideas. Not saying he has like the best arrangements ever but he does interesting things with a lot of different styles of music.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

in The Nightmare Within

EdgarMTanaka.7291

But what you have to clearly see when you are working with things like this is that you have to be open for all kinds of music, not just classic music and so on.

of course you have to be open to all kinds of music but it still has to fit into the video and the overall atmosphere of the setting you are trying to portray, which it does not.

Here we have this mysterious tower which we about about to explore, it is dark, gloomy and foreboding – cue cheesy 80’s guitar rock track. This isn’t SAB.

Its obvious that it was chosen to support the guitar competition. I just think they should of released two videos before ruining the trailer.

To be honest, I watched the Trailer yesterday and answered to this topic today and clearly see now that yes the music does not realy fit the trailer… But to be fair, OP said that ‘The music was bad and didn’t fit the game’ and on that note I would disagree by saying what I said earlier :P

Also what you said, the music was made for the competition and the trailer to show us whats to come. I can imagine quite alot of good AMV’s to do to this one.

Why SAB even comes to your mind puzzles me as if you just say that becouse you think this track is like an 80’s track and SAB has a Retro 80’s game feeling by so it wouldn’t be anything like SAB anyway.
Guild Wars is not the first game where dark and gloomy is themed by metal like this and as I only can speak for myself, it works wonderfull to me.

The tune in it self isn’t bad but I could agree with some that the quality is not topnotch wich you would expect from a game like this, but it could be the trailer sound quality that is bad. I dunno.
Edit: Yep, noticed the song here https://soundcloud.com/arenanet and the quality is much much better!

(edited by EdgarMTanaka.7291)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Sylentir.8913

Sylentir.8913

On one hand, I don’t mind the music. On the other hand, it really doesn’t fit the video used. Maybe another video could work, but I feel that the video in question needs quiet, creepy classical. Just my 2 cents.

Talia Gallowglass [Few] ~ Sylvari Engineer Main
Ferguson’s Crossing

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Making metal fit anything GW related is easy. You can have symphonic metal playing when you are overlooking an epic battle, a metal ballad when romance between norn or charr NPCs happens, power metal playing during a boss battle…

The problem it’s not that it’s metal.

The problem is the track itself. It doesn’t say “Nightmare within”. It says something more like “Frantic vertigo” or “Time’s running out”.

This track would work during a fight in a falling platform or at the top of a tower against a boss. Or in a timed battle against golems or demons in a mechanical room. Or a fight similar to the SAB Wizard of Storms.

But not during a fight with a faction of xenophobic spider-folk allied with another weird faction of sadistic plant people to spread all over the place spores filled with lysergic acid diethylamide in a dark room with wooden walls.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Perhaps an idea for a future contest: Make a music video for symphonic GW2 music.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Zoxea.9564

Zoxea.9564

The style of music is not “the” problem. The problem is the entire clip. There is no harmonization between images and sound, very bad editing. (No need to be an expert to see it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NVWPP2LYD34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_TgAf4lbvTM

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Lich King.1524

Lich King.1524

The music from the trailer just horrible. It reminds me a music from Dendy then strange metal theme. Not fits to the trailer at all.
Completely dissapointment.

Music is a soul of the game. Music directly operates with people emotions.
Please be careful!
Bad music = bad game.
Anet please hire back musicans who made main GW2 theme.
Also Last good theme was in “Bazaar of four winds”.
Personnaly I suggest to hire Matt Uelmen. Don’t think that this is a joke. His music was a soul of Diablo1-2/Wow Classic/BC.
Alternatively (more cheap solution) ask your players about music contest, they will love to create a lot of nice melodies for free to you.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Sadly i haven’t lost faith in devs what i have lost it in is the community and how much a train wreck its become

way to insult us all. now go away

I agree, no need to insult the community. We give feedback to the devs which is important otherwise where else do they get feedback?

Feedback on the music of a trailer is important? In what reality? Definitely a first world problem.

in The Nightmare Within

Thobek.1730

Sadly i haven’t lost faith in devs what i have lost it in is the community and how much a train wreck its become

I agree, no need to insult the community. We give feedback to the devs which is important otherwise where else do they get feedback?

Feedback on the music of a trailer is important? In what reality? Definitely a first world problem.

You show extreme short sightedness if you think music isn’t important in a game/trailer/intro. Supposedly music is the leading cause of nostalgia so I don’t want to be reminded of an 80’s rock track when ever I see that tower.

in The Nightmare Within

Thobek.1730

Why SAB even comes to your mind puzzles me as if you just say that becouse you think this track is like an 80’s track and SAB has a Retro 80’s game feeling by so it wouldn’t be anything like SAB anyway.

Edit: Yep, noticed the song here https://soundcloud.com/arenanet and the quality is much much better!

SAB comes to my mind because the music has a dated sound, I’m thinking something from the 80’s, heavy sustain. I did like the ending to the track but as someone said earlier this would much better suit a scene of quick cut close ups showing the char getting reading for war and an army of them marching to battle. Like Hells March from C&C Red Alert – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-gI_pFog0 – 32secs in.

in The Nightmare Within

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Well how we interprets the music is different from person to person, and as I said I don’t think the music fitted the trailer but it is realy good and will fit many idéas of mine for many AMV’s for this game.

You show extreme short sightedness if you think music isn’t important in a game/trailer/intro. Supposedly music is the leading cause of nostalgia so I don’t want to be reminded of an 80’s rock track when ever I see that tower.

In my opinion the trailer isn’t good at all.
All it is is a stupid flythrough of a few rooms with this metal music, the trailer does not speak to me at all in sence of music being important as a trailer… Well I wouldn’t call this an important trailer… This is a freakin update, how many other game companies makes trailers of updates!? This is a preview, a preview of a few rooms and the new music.

At the moment all songs made for this game has been over the top, some better than others ofc, but I do love it when there is more veriaty of music ganres in the game.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Jinn Kazuma.2163

Jinn Kazuma.2163

someone posted this on the GW2 reddit page – worth posting here. Its not good when a trailer can be poked fun at this much.

This was hilarious and would have made for a great official trailer. This was comical in that cartoon way Scarlet’s personality has shown.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: narrock.6890

narrock.6890

Well I wouldn’t call this an important trailer… This is a freakin update, how many other game companies makes trailers of updates!?

all other mmo’s have update preview trailers ALL OF THEM even non mmos like Skyrim and fps games have update trailers.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Nice straw man argument there.

While you’re at it.

Let’s throw this music into guild wars 2:

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

The style of music is not “the” problem. The problem is the entire clip. There is no harmonization between images and sound, very bad editing. (No need to be an expert to see it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_TgAf4lbvTM

They need to hire that guy for their trailers.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Complaining about trailer music is a sign GW2 is successful.

in The Nightmare Within

Thobek.1730

Have a look at this guy for some ideas. Not saying he has like the best arrangements ever but he does interesting things with a lot of different styles of music.

that guy has some real talent. I liked the last part of that skyrim track.

in The Nightmare Within

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Well I wouldn’t call this an important trailer… This is a freakin update, how many other game companies makes trailers of updates!?

all other mmo’s have update preview trailers ALL OF THEM even non mmos like Skyrim and fps games have update trailers.

Oh yea, they happens to throw out a little extra energy on an update once in a while when there is something new and spectacular. Skyrim has what 9 updates and one trailer what I can find, WoW seems to have trailers now and then but that is for Expansions mostly not updates, same goes for Lotro and most other MMO’s.
So what I mean is that GW2 has a small “trailer” (Made from the Developers of the game) for more or less every bi-weekly update and they are more or less only flythrough camera of the new content.

This was just ridiculous from the start so I am gonna leave it at that.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

The music from the trailer just horrible. It reminds me a music from Dendy then strange metal theme. Not fits to the trailer at all.
Completely dissapointment.

Music is a soul of the game. Music directly operates with people emotions.
Please be careful!
Bad music = bad game.
Anet please hire back musicans who made main GW2 theme.
Also Last good theme was in “Bazaar of four winds”.
Personnaly I suggest to hire Matt Uelmen. Don’t think that this is a joke. His music was a soul of Diablo1-2/Wow Classic/BC.
Alternatively (more cheap solution) ask your players about music contest, they will love to create a lot of nice melodies for free to you.

The chap wot does GW2 is Jeremy Soule. He is a god amongst game composers, second only to Nobuo Uematsu (of Final Fantasy fame).

Incidentally, Soule also composed music for the original Guild Wars, TESIII-V (that’s Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim), Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale, Dungeon Siege, and many, many others. He’s considered akin to John Williams (Star Wars, Jaws, ET, Jurassic Park… and countless others), and is currently ranked highly by modern classical music fans (thanks to the UK’s Classic FM Hall of Fame votes, he reached No. 5 with the TES series, competing with the likes of Bach, Beethoven, Mozart – only Rachmaninov, Vaughn Williams and Uetmatsu are ahead of him).

They really don’t come a whole lot more recommended.

Uelman’s alright, though. His work with Diablo was great indeed.

I don’t hate metal, however the trailer music could’ve been better if arranged to suit the existing game music style (yes! even with guitars). The current result is as jarring as if we suddenly came upon the works of Jackson Pollock informing the design of Divinity’s Reach.

Unless, of course, that is entirely the point.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Miroe.2054

Miroe.2054

The visual aspect of the trailer is just fantastic. That tower is really well designed and im totally diggin that blue green color combination of the toxic alliance. But that music… THAT MUSIC. Its generic, its trashy and it goes completely against the enchanted, exotic mood of the update. Please Arenanet, do that again. With some Norn themed update. And with a track that is a little more original. The game could take itself a little more serious outside of the festivals.

Two suggestions which direction the music of the toxic trailer could take imho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWUhIURJW_4 (for being more contemporary)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0z08OpmEPc (for being more exotic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjcu1QdapLI (for being more PWNZOR!!!11)

Hey, why not just makin it a inofficial contest for the best soundtrack instead of the best movie? ^^

(edited by Miroe.2054)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

There are music production companies specialized in trailers such as Immediate Music and Two Steps from Hell. They make some of the best trailer music around and sincerely I believe they’d do alot better.

For this one, personally I’d go for something with a more serious and slower paced sound, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiST_CY8Zo4

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

(edited by Hermes.7014)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Korval.3751

Korval.3751

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

What is going on over at Arenanet?

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

Don’t get me wrong I think the guitar is alright, but it is so out of place and random. Random as the year of post release has been after GW2.

You guys need to find yourselves.