Final cut scene at last instance is-

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

What else would it be? Harley Quinn of Batman has somewhat the same personality. She’s supposed to be irritating. If you hate her she’s good enough of a villain.

The difference here is that Harley Quinn gets caught by Batman, and often quite easily. There’s a scene in Batman Arkham City where she goes down in one punch (which is hilarious). Harley is fun because she has a kind of tragic back story, and depth to her character. She is a victim, as much as she is a villain. And sometimes she even turns against The Joker, only to return to him eventually.

I think people are most frustrated by the fact that Scarlet always gets away, while she doesn’t really seem all that competent. We’re told that she is a genius, but we don’t actually see her being a genius.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: hugemistake.5317

hugemistake.5317

Funny i thought the video was terrible, as is the story. Scarlet is one of the most annoying videogame bad guy i’ve ever seen. Bison in street fighter 2 had a better backstory.

Still i enjoyed the gameplay so overall i liked this update, but this video…

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Dott.5672

Dott.5672

If you hate her she’s good enough of a villan.

No.
No, no, no.
I’ll stop you right there, because people don’t hate Scarlet because she’s a villain. She’s an obnoxious piece of kitten who doesn’t fit into the GW world, she breaks lore like there’s no tomorrow, she has the most annoying voice I have ever heard in a game (yet she’s supposed to be very persuasive; “silver-tongued” even), she constantly pulls new “evil alliances” that make no sense out of her kitten , she incessantly escapes every attempt to apprehend her (hell, in this update she WALKED RIGHT PAST MY CHARACTER. She just left. Right past a charr with a flamethrower after a five-minute monologue).

So don’t say hating her means she’s a good villain. I don’t hate her because of what she does, because I’m not sure what she does or how she does it. I hate her for what she is and what she represents: ANet’s incapability of writing a good kittening story.

I hope one of ANet’s writers reads this. Hell, I hope Bobby reads it.
You wrote a bad story, Bobby. It feels like you looked to David Cage for storytelling and Matt Ward for character creation.

“Guild Wars 2 fans are big role-players, and
we love to give them the tools they need
to have big, important events!” Stop lying, ANet.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

How about you make a post that proves : 1) Scarlet has no depth, 2) The Story Doesn’t Develop, 3) No questions are ever answered, and 4) there is no motive.

actually the burden of proof is on you. I not going to try and give you examples of things that don’t exist.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Eszett.6950

Eszett.6950

If you hate her she’s good enough of a villan.

No.
No, no, no.
I’ll stop you right there, because people don’t hate Scarlet because she’s a villain. She’s an obnoxious piece of kitten who doesn’t fit into the GW world, she breaks lore like there’s no tomorrow, she has the most annoying voice I have ever heard in a game (yet she’s supposed to be very persuasive; “silver-tongued” even), she constantly pulls new “evil alliances” that make no sense out of her kitten , she incessantly escapes every attempt to apprehend her (hell, in this update she WALKED RIGHT PAST MY CHARACTER. She just left. Right past a charr with a flamethrower after a five-minute monologue).

So don’t say hating her means she’s a good villain. I don’t hate her because of what she does, because I’m not sure what she does or how she does it. I hate her for what she is and what she represents: ANet’s incapability of writing a good kittening story.

You wrote a bad story, Bobby. It feels like you looked to David Cage for storytelling and Matt Ward for character creation.

I’m a bit new to the forums, so I have no idea what do you mean by kitten? I don’t say that her story is actually GOOD, I think perhaps it was written in a scooby-do way, but that’s not the character’s fault! I would’ve liked the villans to actually do damage directly to our characters, so it was a bit more personal, or actually done something really evil, in that sense I agree with you but personally I don’t find Scarlet annoying.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Dott.5672

Dott.5672

Curse words are replaced with kitten. Even something as harmless as D—A—M—N.

“Guild Wars 2 fans are big role-players, and
we love to give them the tools they need
to have big, important events!” Stop lying, ANet.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: nachtritter.8961

nachtritter.8961

I’m a bit new to the forums, so I have no idea what do you mean by kitten?

Automatic censorship by the forum software for most offensive words.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

How about you make a post that proves : 1) Scarlet has no depth, 2) The Story Doesn’t Develop, 3) No questions are ever answered, and 4) there is no motive.

actually the burden of proof is on you. I not going to try and give you examples of things that don’t exist.

1) Read the short story. It doesn’t matter that it wasn’t in the game. Fact is, they gave the character depth. Oh sure, complain that its not in the game!

2) Your telling me that a seemingly normal area in the game, suddenly gets an illusion in the middle of a lake and all the trees are cut down around it, then the tower gets revealed and there’s toxic spores everywhere, to you assaulting your way to the top of the tower then killing the Krait’s prophet god, isn’t a developing story? All these Story arcs are self contained, or bleed over into one or two others. I am pretty sure that is by design, but you can’t say it doesn’t move on and continue foward. What? Are you angry that you haven’t seen any development in Scarlet’s story yet?

3) Even if you answered all of the questions yourself, the game explained very well why the Krait are working with another race that is underneath them, and that cutscene/story recap that played answered almost everything else up to that point. But wait, most of the content that explains the Krait’s hatred towards other races is also not in the game. Why are you going to be angry about Scarlet’s story not being in the game, but you are perfectly okay with the Krait’s not being in the game?

Why is no one angry that the Char are working together with humans? They should still be killing each other. Oh wait, that’s right. Time is supposed to change things. a coupld hundred years and elder dragons changed those two races to where they were working together. I guess the same 250 year expanse of time and an elder dragon kicking the Krait out of their homelands isn’t enough motive yet to team up with someone else, but, it was enough for humans and Char? Are you angry that it was such a sudden change, or are you angry because you don’t know how long this was going on behind the scenes?

Here’s the oher problem Thobek. You, and dozens of other people on the forums complain about the Character’s apparent lack of depth, the lack of story development, the lack of questions answered, and the lack of motive, but you don’t offer up any specific examples. You say you hate the story, but just hating something isn’t really enough. What is the reason you hate it, and if its because of Scarlet, you need to offer specific examples so Anet doesn’t make your percieved mistake in the future. How the heck do you expect Anet to fix that problem if you can offer any proof? What, is it that hard to prove something doesn’t exist? Religion and Science have been doing that for thousands of years. It shouldn’t be too hard for you.

David Cage wrote the story for a game called Indigo Prophecy in 2005. That game went from simple, something’s possesing people to kill other people, and within the span of 30 minutes at the end of the game, escalated into something involving the mayans and something about the world ending. That story was as convulted as can be and made no sense at the end. Heavy Rain was alright for a story, and Beyond Two Souls was acceptable. But, just because you can write one good story does not mean you should write all of them. Anet, Stay away from that guy.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Oh no!
Someone has something good to say about the Living Story… About /SCARLET!/
Quick! Every naysayer come in and shout out their opinion /yet again!/ This horse hasn’t been beaten quite to glue yet!!!!

Sarcasm aside, what exactly are you are expecting? Shakespeare level writing for characters in an MMO?
Scarlet /is/ a comic book villain. Explaining how or why she does the things she does is akin to asking how the Joker manages to get enough explosives inside a building to threaten to blow it up without anyone seeming to notice. If anything, she makes more sense then the Joker ever does because at least in Tyria, you really /can/ use ‘magic’ to do all sorts of things (like oh… I dunno… combine things that don’t normally go together… Like Oakhearts and Clockwork…)

As for the cinematic itself… I liked it. Just as I liked Scarlet as a Joker-esque villain. That’s my opinion, which makes it just as valid as anyone elses here (minus the constant vitriol aimed at the Developers. :P)

To be fair, in the universe Joker exists in, you can use magic as well.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Oh no!
Quick! Every naysayer come in and shout out their opinion /yet again!/ This horse hasn’t been beaten quite to glue yet!!!!

Sarcasm aside, what exactly are you are expecting? Shakespeare level writing for characters in an MMO?
Scarlet /is/ a comic book villain. Explaining how or why she does the things she does is akin to asking how the Joker manages to get enough explosives inside a building to threaten to blow it up without anyone seeming to notice. If anything, she makes more sense then the Joker ever does because at least in Tyria, you really /can/ use ‘magic’ to do all sorts of things (like oh… I dunno… combine things that don’t normally go together… Like Oakhearts and Clockwork…)

As for the cinematic itself… I liked it. Just as I liked Scarlet as a Joker-esque villain. That’s my opinion, which makes it just as valid as anyone elses here (minus the constant vitriol aimed at the Developers. :P)

To be fair, in the universe Joker exists in, you can use magic as well.

You have a point about magic in the DC universe. However, I don’t ever recall the Joker ever being able to use it.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

What a waste they use that take on Scarlet.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

David Cage wrote the story for a game called Indigo Prophecy in 2005. That game went from simple, something’s possesing people to kill other people, and within the span of 30 minutes at the end of the game, escalated into something involving the mayans and something about the world ending. That story was as convulted as can be and made no sense at the end. Heavy Rain was alright for a story, and Beyond Two Souls was acceptable. But, just because you can write one good story does not mean you should write all of them. Anet, Stay away from that guy.

Don’t forget it even has cyborgs from the future. Not making that up, for those of you who haven’t played Indigo Prophecy (aka Fahrenheit). That story made no sense what so ever.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Adventurous Cookie.1658

Adventurous Cookie.1658

Dat kittened smile haunts me in my dreams.

Attachments:

Anet, you’re breaking my heart! You’re going down a path I cannot follow!

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Evilbeavers.3964

Evilbeavers.3964

I started playing (again) at the end of the scarlet invasion so I really have no idea what is going on with her story. I really really really really liked the ending cut scene as it kinda gave me a glimpse of things that happened.

Also… Tyblat

Y U DO THAT?!

Kiblet – War Nubs – [NUB]
Terribad Ranger
Stormbluff Isle

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Not sure if this was discussed anywhere, but I was speaking with some guildies about Scarlet and all of these story arcs they are putting together.

Does anyone else notice that:

Molten Alliance, Aetherblades, Toxic Alliance = Vigil, Durmand Priory, Order of Whispers? The evil versions obviously. They are even growing an evil Pale Tree. Scarlet is creating evil versions of what we got going on.

The LS up until now doesn’t sound so random when you think about it with this in mind.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

in The Nightmare Within

Mesket.5728

Not sure if this was discussed anywhere, but I was speaking with some guildies about Scarlet and all of these story arcs they are putting together.

Molten Alliance, Aetherblades, Toxic Alliance = Vigil, Durmand Priory, Order of Whispers? The evil versions obviously. They are even growing an evil Pale Tree. Scarlet is creating evil versions of what we got going on.

The LS up until now doesn’t sound so random when you think about it with this in mind.

Someone must have rolled a dice… where is Evil Abed?

(not all will get the reference).

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Cinematic was gorgeous and recapped the LS nicely. I liked the feel of it. But…

As others have said, it didn’t progress the story in any way. She recapped and walked out. Didn’t even spill the beans about the current LS. They’ve gotta start dropping some good stuff soon. Heck, we found out Darth is Luke’s dad in Empire…they didn’t wait until Jedi to tell us. Dealing with the “bomb” is often just as awesome as the anticipation and the actual drop. Too much anticipation eventually just becomes boring.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

You have a point about magic in the DC universe. However, I don’t ever recall the Joker ever being able to use it.

Emperor Joker, he took Mxyzptlk’s power.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

I adored every little bit of that final instance. Scarlet was pinpoint. (Come on, her commentary while you were going through the fights was so creepy and amazing voice acting. Really enjoyable). And I loved the cutscene as well

seems like it’s becoming a huge bandwagon to just hate on Scarlet whenever even when anet does good with her. They haven’t done everything well with her AT ALL, that’s not what I am saying. But this time around it was good. I personally like that we have a reoccurring villain instead of just having her show up, kill her, and be done with her like they have done in the past.

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Aly Cat.9415

Aly Cat.9415

Shiren, I dislike Trahearne because he’s dry, boring and humorless, and also because he checked out as soon as his personal destiny was fulfilled, and nobody even calls him out. Instead we’re begging him to celebrate a victory he didn’t contribute to. Technically Tybalt takes over our story for his duration as well but people love him because he’s…loveable. Heck, I even like Logan in a SMH “Oh Logan” sort of way. And he’s such a fun target for Anise.

I agree that Scarlet’s lacking in depth and there’s too many unanswered questions regarding Caithe’s secret, the other tree and the connection of the birth of the Sylvari to the awakening dragons, but the supporting cast is appealing (and much better companions than Trahearne was) and we’re seeing other preexisting story lines furthered (seriously, what is up between Logan, Anise and the Queen? I must know!)

I’d also like to know more about Scarlet’s Asuran education. Zojja hasn’t really weighed in yet (scheduling conflicts with voice actors?)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Agreed. The last slide actually made her seem menacing for a split second.

Wow, really? You found that menacing? hm. To me, she just gets more eye-rolling every time they try to “develop” her “character”. I love the YouTube comment on the dev stream:
Nah they rather give us more open world zerg content and shove their beloved Scarlet “I speak like a deranged baby” Briar down our throats and twist their lore to fit her because she is so perfect and god-like.

I adored every little bit of that final instance. Scarlet was pinpoint. (Come on, her commentary while you were going through the fights was so creepy and amazing voice acting. Really enjoyable). And I loved the cutscene as well

I’m sorry, it was NOT creepy. It was annoying & cheezy. Ridiculously over-the-top “craaaaazyy” threats. Generic “ooo i’m scary” whispering. It was awful. Varesh Ossa was far more menacing & actually felt insane. She was very reserved, intelligent, but totally devoted to something that was just wrong. But she 100% felt it must be done. She was absorbed by her madness. She didn’t do the obviously-self-aware generic modern wacky-sassy-crazy-girl with cheezy b-movie horror quotes. Scarlet plays an insane cartoon.

I’m surprised people actually think any of Scarlet’s dialog is anything but laughable, & her back-story & accomplishments just insulting. Her back story & “motivation” is meaningless if her actual character is nothing more than an annoying teenage with god powers. hating Scarlet isn’t a band-wagon, there are very good reasons for it.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: kaid.7695

kaid.7695

When is this cinematic supposed to show up. I got all the way to the top of the tower and did the toxic hybrid thing and did the injection but I never saw any cinematic.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Scarlet has depth as a character. Everything that was showing in (and out) of game has proved that to this point. What, is everyone angry that there weren’t subtle hints in Beta in early 2012 about this? Is everyone angry that they didn’t know anything about scarlet when the first living story update hit? Is everyone angry that they didn’t know the character’s motives 9 months ago?

You mentioned FF7 in your post, and while it’s true that not all was revealed until much later in the story, at least the story progresses with each step. You cannot say the same for this one: nothing really happens, storywise. Sure, we got a tower, but we don’t know anything more about Scarlet’s or her plans. We learned more about Rox in this patch than we did about her. And Rox only appears as a side character.

As for no questions being answered, the main questions are why does she do it and how does she do it: neither of those is even hinted at. If the question were: can she look mean at you then yes, the question was answered.

Scarlet has no depth because Scarlet has no flaws. Nothing you do as a player so much as touches her, the cinematic confirmed that once again. There is no ‘other side’ to her, she’s just perfect and all her plans always succeed, or at least they obviously never fail. That’s lack of depth. The fact that she’s never seen communicating with anyone is another lack of depth: we only see one side of her.

As for the motive, I’ll grant you that she has a motive. The motive is mostly from piecing together shreds of lore and dev interviews, but it’s there. As for your other points, I think I’ve just proven that they’re quite valid. Being a fanboy doesn’t make the proof go away, but a cool cinematic can do wonders: I for one liked it and for the very first time, Scarlet seemed a bit less annoying than she has been since release.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Sounds farfetched to me. The reason why it’s ‘possible’ is because the orders represent the fantasy stereotypes: fighter, spellcaster and rogue. Scarlet’s lackeys can often fit one of those stereotypes, but that’s not exactly making it less random.

Someone must have rolled a dice… where is Evil Abed? (not all will get the reference).

All I can say is: go get that pizza yourself Jeff!

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Autumn Frazee.3158

Autumn Frazee.3158

Living World QA Embed

If you joined a group for your first time through the Nightmare Incarnate instance and someone who had already completed the instance opened it for your group, then your first time through would have been in the repeatable version. The instance checks the instance owner’s progress; if they have completed it before, the whole group will do the repeatable version, not the story version. Once you have completed the instance for the first time, your progress will also update to repeatable and every consecutive time you enter the instance, even if you enter solo, you will be put into the repeatable version. This is just a limitation on how we can set up a ‘story’ and ‘repeat’ version of something that is not a dungeon.

If you want to experience the Story version after you have already run the instance, party with someone who has never done the instance before and have them open the instance for your group. Also, if it is your first time inside the Nightmare Incarnate instance and you want to experience the story, make sure your group’s instance is not opened by someone who has done it before.

Lastly, if you wish to review the cinematic inside the repeatable version, you can interact with the terminal inside the boss room after the instance has been completed; it will allow you to watch the cinematic as many times as you wish.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

As someone who didn’t play any of the Scarlet stuff before the new Aetherblade path, I appreciated the recap. I can see why someone who’d followed along all along though would be disappointed.

… that said, the toxic hybrid thing was positively creepy the way it crawled around by its arms after being “birthed.” That might actually give me nightmares IRL, lol.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Kromium.5189

Kromium.5189

It was at this very moment I decided that Scarlet wasn’t that cute.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

Someone must have rolled a dice… where is Evil Abed?

(not all will get the reference).

Always have my attachable beard with me.

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

1) Read the short story. It doesn’t matter that it wasn’t in the game. Fact is, they gave the character depth. Oh sure, complain that its not in the game!

actually it does matter, relying on sources that aren’t in-game is a terrible way to tell a story. So far we have information about Scarlet scattered amongst the game, short stories, interviews with writers, and random posts on these forums… and you’re saying it doesn’t matter. Not everyone knows about them and even still it doesn’t give the character depth instead that created a MarySue type villain which is worse.

2) Your telling me that a seemingly normal area in the game, suddenly gets an illusion in the middle of a lake and all the trees are cut down around it, then the tower gets revealed and there’s toxic spores everywhere, to you assaulting your way to the top of the tower then killing the Krait’s prophet god, isn’t a developing story?

That’s exactly what I’m saying. Its because the story is on a cycle, its an repetitive recipe. Step 1 – Scarlet creates an alliance, Step 2 – we foil her plans, Step 3 – she teleports away, Step 4 – go to Step 1.

Why is no one angry that the Char are working together with humans? They should still be killing each other. Oh wait, that’s right. Time is supposed to change things. a coupld hundred years and elder dragons changed those two races to where they were working together.

So did 250 years pass from the previous patch to this one? No one knows how difficult the process was for the Char and humans to create an alliance. Even now there is the resistance so everything is not all perfect like you may suggest. The Krait have been always the most violent xenophobic race since GW2 was released, this alliance with the Nightmare court hasn’t developed over 250yrs like the Char/Human alliance has.

Here’s the oher problem Thobek. You, and dozens of other people on the forums complain about the Character’s apparent lack of depth, the lack of story development, the lack of questions answered, and the lack of motive, but you don’t offer up any specific examples.

There is plenty of posts on these forums about why Scarlet is a terrible villain. Go read them. Its not like the forums are full of just “I hate scarlet” everyone has their reasons, and there are a lot of them.

But for me personally – I can’t stand her because here is a villain that has suddenly popped up yet she was the only non Asuran to be allowed into the colleges, and trained in them all, she then went on to train with masters of various fields and we have never heard of her before her first introduction at the Jubilee. Not one whisper or mention of her until now, absolutely nothing for someone so accomplished. So that shows poor planning.

Second, her personality. Her childish dialogue and crazy ramblings for someone who is a supposed genius doesn’t match up. People have been speculating why she talks like this, Bobby says there is a reason but won’t say what it is, and he only mentions this in a random forum post. So to the multitudes of others that didn’t stumble across that random post its a contradiction and does not make any sense.

Third is the pacing of the story, and the amount of relevant, story developing information that is given. Its very little. What is Scarlets motive behind all of this, its 6 months in and we still don’t know. She knows Caithe secret – what is it? She has managed to form alliances – how? She managed to build a massive Aetherblade base on the borders of Lions Arch?! how did no one notice this? where did she get the resources? where did she recruit the countless pirates from three main races? How are steamcreatures connected with Scarlet? Was she actually behind the Molten Alliance or was she just taking credit for it (there is no evidence it was actually her)? If it was her how did she convince two groups that dislike each other to work together? what were they promised? Were they even promised anything or were they threaten? who knows?! How is scarlet able to grow red thorns from her body? Where does she keep teleporting to after each patch? Where is she creating this clockwork army? Who is creating it? the pirates?

Bottom line is an annoying, childish, supposed genius sylvari has turned up undeterred and not bothered that all her invasions have failed just teleports safely away at the end of each patch after a pointless monologue where she talks about “fancy panties” with no new information given to develop the story. I feel like this cycle could possibly go on forever if they wanted. No progress is being made. The only thing they are running out of is new alliances to form.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

My feelings on Scarlet notwithstanding, I have to say that Tara Strong does a superb job with voice acting her.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Xalugami.2096

Xalugami.2096

The only thing they are running out of is new alliances to form.

Don’t mean to cut in to your reply, but I don’t think the above snip is true.

When every possible race is paired up with another, they’ll dump all the races back into the hat and start making duplicates (like Nightmare Court + Inquest Alliance). Eventually when every race gets paired up with each remaining race, they’ll start pairing up Alliances (like the Twisted Aetherblades or the Molten Toxic Alliance). So this can go on for an incredibly long time. I can almost imagine when GW3 releases and Scarlet’s still making Alliances (because this is the vibe I’m getting so far).
That is, unless we actually get some sort of story* in the Living Story. But until they feel like doing more than sifting through cards in a hat, it feels like we’ll be plagued with the current 2-Month Alliance before watching Scarlet disappear to start forming the next pair of races to get allied together.

I’m just waiting for the update that says “Oh the Pact killed the other Elder Dragons while you were busy, so now you can keep focus on chasing Scarlet forever.”

*As in cohesive plot that will amount to something more than what happened 2 months prior with the last Alliance (I guess the current routine still falls under “story”, but that’s just like reading the same book again and again).

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Oh no!

Maybe Anet is targetting people like you – the easily pleased.

I’d rather be ‘easily pleased’ then ‘constantly angry’ and ‘eternally disappointed’ like many forum posters here. (Thanks for the subtle shot at me, btw…)

GW2 is hardly a perfect game, but at least I can enjoy it enough to continue playing it instead of coming to the forums and going on and on about the parts I don’t like. Basically doing the equivalent of ‘Talking over’ and drowning out anyone that has something good to say is a constant tactic I see repeated on these threads.

What started out as the OP saying ‘I really like the final cinematic…’ all too quickly became yet another ‘I HATE SCARLET!!’ type thread for absolutely no reason other than to take a few more thinly veiled shots at the developers writing ability.
Haters will hate, I guess… Right? :p

P.S. I was going to go much more in depth on why Scarlet has a lot more depth then you seem to think. But it’s pretty clear people have made up their minds on the subject, for good or ill.
I’m not going to waste my time (or yours) explaining it and trying to go against the general agenda of some people here have to bash Anet and GW2 every chance they get.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

(edited by ShinjoNaomi.1896)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

The cutscene looked pretty, but it was hollow, as has all of the Living World updates since this all started. The story is gonna have to beef itself up a bit if ANet’s gonna continue to try to sell this novelty of a Living World to it’s players and actually keep them interested.

I actually enjoyed the final cut-scene, especially considering I’ve been away for 6 months. It was nice to see a catch-up, albeit a brief one.

Quality of content aside, of course the masses will be kept interested, after all they provide achievement points. And achievements are becoming more and more ‘quest-like’ every day, with the addition of being a fine tools for one player to say to the other ’I’m better than you’. It’s a bit disappointing…

MMOs these day: Working to drive communities apart rather than keep them together.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

If you joined a group for your first time through the Nightmare Incarnate instance and someone who had already completed the instance opened it for your group, then your first time through would have been in the repeatable version. The instance checks the instance owner’s progress; if they have completed it before, the whole group will do the repeatable version, not the story version. Once you have completed the instance for the first time, your progress will also update to repeatable and every consecutive time you enter the instance, even if you enter solo, you will be put into the repeatable version. This is just a limitation on how we can set up a ‘story’ and ‘repeat’ version of something that is not a dungeon.

If you want to experience the Story version after you have already run the instance, party with someone who has never done the instance before and have them open the instance for your group. Also, if it is your first time inside the Nightmare Incarnate instance and you want to experience the story, make sure your group’s instance is not opened by someone who has done it before.

Lastly, if you wish to review the cinematic inside the repeatable version, you can interact with the terminal inside the boss room after the instance has been completed; it will allow you to watch the cinematic as many times as you wish.

ah thanks!

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

The content gameplay itself is great , the story not so much . I actually enjoy the tower , its hard and interesting

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

She goes on about the Infinity Ball too, so maybe she can tap into alternative worlds like the one you’ve seen if you’ve done the Asuran personal story. There, the good guys of our world, turn out to be evil; so perhaps Scarlet and her alliances are all good in this alternative world set in the future – the same place where the steam & mech creatures come from, and only evil when they cross over into our version of the world.
If so, it’s very interesting, but at the same time the story being told is so lacking of these details that all these really interesting eventualities get lost in a menial hide&seek game with Scarlet as she goes from one place to the next.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

There seems to be a bug with that. I tried to see it several times already, and always the cinematic got cut when the person who opened instance finished watching their version (after which interacting with console did nothing). I managed to see it only after i did the instance solo.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: narrock.6890

narrock.6890

P.S. I was going to go much more in depth on why Scarlet has a lot more depth then you seem to think. But it’s pretty clear people have made up their minds on the subject, for good or ill.
I’m not going to waste my time (or yours) explaining it and trying to go against the general agenda of some people here have to bash Anet and GW2 every chance they get.

show me this i have heard this so many times from scarlet sue defenders yet NONE has backed it up once.

I’m not going to waste my time (or yours) explaining it and trying to go against the general agenda of some people here have to bash Anet and GW2 every chance they get

what “Agenda” scarlet is just plain bad writing that rips off better character and has zero motivation as of yet and, no the websites stories don’t count they still explain nothing and, are not in game so i don’t see it as in part of it.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Immortal.3647

Immortal.3647

its a very nice 2013 flashback

in The Nightmare Within

Mesket.5728

They can give Scarlet all the depth they want and even if they end up making an interesting story, it doesn’t have to like me.

I don’t like her conceptually, I don’t like made up on the go “armies”, I don’t like her smile, her joker wanna be attitude. I don’t like what she might be looking for, I’m just not interested. She behaves like a spoiled teenager, desperate to get some attention. Everything around her was forced in the story, her knowledge, her way of manipulating factions, her powers… nothing is believable and it has to be explained through very unlikely scenarios. It’s a character I simply cannot buy.

The only damage she is really causing is to the game lore if this character ever becomes representative of the Guild Wars franchise. For all we know, Scarlet had much more impact on the world than Zhaitan, many times more; it just doesn’t make any sense. Even if at the end an Elder Dragon was behind Scarlet, it can’t be more powerful than she already is. She controls everything from everywhere at any time, it’s stupid. It’s also stupid that we are still beating her, just let us finish her and move on with a real story about Tyria.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Neb.4170

Neb.4170

Even if at the end an Elder Dragon was behind Scarlet

Scarlet is behind the Elder Dragons.

Ha.

in The Nightmare Within

Mesket.5728

Ha.

That would be the end of GW2 for me (and many others) at least lorewise. I will just play the arcade then.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Neb.4170

Neb.4170

Ha.

That would be the end of GW2 for me (and many others) at least lorewise. I will just play the arcade then.

Funny enough, Scarlet makes the Elder Dragons look like ‘good’ bad guys and they are also pretty bland and uninteresting.

Really, what point is there to the Dragons? Do they have any goals? All they seem to do is destroy. They have the personality of a Tornado/Earthquake.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: JackDaniels.1697

JackDaniels.1697

I liked the cutscene. There was nothing really tying Scarlet to all these alliances until the invasions happened, but even then, nothing was really said about it.

So this in-game cutscene confirms that Scarlet was behind all of it. We still don’t know all the details of her big plot, but that’s ok, because who wants the ending of a movie spoiled.

“I got a fever! And the only prescription, is more COWBELL!”

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

I liked the cutscene. There was nothing really tying Scarlet to all these alliances until the invasions happened, but even then, nothing was really said about it.

So this in-game cutscene confirms that Scarlet was behind all of it. We still don’t know all the details of her big plot, but that’s ok, because who wants the ending of a movie spoiled.

It wouldnt be spoiling the ending… we’re no where close to that from a story arc perspective. Showing some semblance of her big plot would be providing the rising action this Living Story desperately needs.

in The Nightmare Within

EverythingXen.1835

Ha.

Funny enough, Scarlet makes the Elder Dragons look like ‘good’ bad guys and they are also pretty bland and uninteresting.

Really, what point is there to the Dragons? Do they have any goals? All they seem to do is destroy. They have the personality of a Tornado/Earthquake.

Without a doubt in my mind she’ll end up jabbing another one into more aggressive action. If for no other reason the forumbase continues to clamor for more dragon-based content.

As to the Dragon’s purpose… they exist to consume the magic that builds up in Tyria naturally over hundreds of years. They awake, consume almost all of it (with often catastrophic results) and go back to sleep until the build up wakes them up/they get hungry again. It’s very much a natural part of the planet’s cycle. (this stuff is also provided in game through your personal story… most of it anyway)

Which when you think about it, raises some interesting ramifications about our actions when we basically kill one… think like magical global warming or something…

Which, in turn, shows how even a brainless force of nature style enemy can provide more interesting and compelling story content than Scarlet has provided with a year behind her.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

They can give Scarlet all the depth they want and even if they end up making an interesting story, it doesn’t have to like me.

I don’t like her conceptually, I don’t like made up on the go “armies”, I don’t like her smile, her joker wanna be attitude. I don’t like what she might be looking for, I’m just not interested. She behaves like a spoiled teenager, desperate to get some attention. Everything around her was forced in the story, her knowledge, her way of manipulating factions, her powers… nothing is believable and it has to be explained through very unlikely scenarios. It’s a character I simply cannot buy.

The only damage she is really causing is to the game lore if this character ever becomes representative of the Guild Wars franchise. For all we know, Scarlet had much more impact on the world than Zhaitan, many times more; it just doesn’t make any sense. Even if at the end an Elder Dragon was behind Scarlet, it can’t be more powerful than she already is. She controls everything from everywhere at any time, it’s stupid. It’s also stupid that we are still beating her, just let us finish her and move on with a real story about Tyria.

Not that we haven’t been giving many many reasons Scarlet is awful (& that people just ignore), but thank you for articulating it so well.

Who cares if you spoil the ending if everything before it is awful? The damage is done.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

in The Nightmare Within

Mesket.5728

Ha.

Without a doubt in my mind she’ll end up jabbing another one into more aggressive action. If for no other reason the forumbase continues to clamor for more dragon-based content.

As to the Dragon’s purpose… they exist to consume the magic that builds up in Tyria naturally over hundreds of years. They awake, consume almost all of it (with often catastrophic results) and go back to sleep until the build up wakes them up/they get hungry again. It’s very much a natural part of the planet’s cycle. (this stuff is also provided in game through your personal story… most of it anyway)

Which when you think about it, raises some interesting ramifications about our actions when we basically kill one… think like magical global warming or something…

Which, in turn, shows how even a brainless force of nature style enemy can provide more interesting and compelling story content than Scarlet has provided with a year behind her.

hmmm then why arent we seeing them having epic fights against each other to be the top predator of the world’s magic?

If they need to sleep for eons waiting for the magic to build up,… wouldn’t they be annoyed as hell if another dragon waked up first and consumed it already?

in The Nightmare Within

EverythingXen.1835

Ha.

hmmm then why arent we seeing them having epic fights against each other to be the top predator of the world’s magic?

If they need to sleep for eons waiting for the magic to build up,… wouldn’t they be annoyed as hell if another dragon waked up first and consumed it already?

At the risk of sounding even more cynical than I have already… because Scarlet.

I dislike Scarlet less because of her actual character and story, and more because of all the other possible storylines we could have instead.

(edited by EverythingXen.1835)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Wishmaster.7693

Wishmaster.7693

Screw you guys I could see Rox again