Key drop rate is incredibly low.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Andrew.4506

Andrew.4506

I tried farming mobs in the tower, and farming the instances. The key piece drops are insanely rare. Been doing this for a good 5 hours now and only been able to put together one key from drops. Is there somewhere specific I should be farming or what?

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

You can buy pieces from a helper of Marjory’s near where she was back in Kessex Hills. 10 spores and like 10 silver equals a piece. However each piece can only be bought once per day per account.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You can also do a chamber on each level once per day for a piece of a key.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Why once per day? I’ve gotten 4 pink pieces so far doing the achievement that requires fighting stuff in the chambers.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Why once per day? I’ve gotten 4 pink pieces so far doing the achievement that requires fighting stuff in the chambers.

They aren’t once per day, they just kind of ‘rotate’, but you can do them all.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: WilliamDaBloody.2591

WilliamDaBloody.2591

Each level gives a different color. You are NOT guaranteed one on a daily basis (just tried on all three levels) for a chamber. So daily buying or grindy farming of mobs on all three levels is what needs to be done.

Farming? The drop rate is just too low for the keys.

So buying keys on a daily basis for a couple of weeks and then open the chest X times to for a chance on the mini will be what a lot of people are going to do. Giving the number of spores dropping in the dungoens the price for them will tank anyway.

This is intenionally to increase number of daily logins Anet needs.

In other words the RNG awards in the chest are time gated and tied to a gold sink.

I doubt a lot of people will farm the tower for keys after they got their achievements. It’s not that much fun and the chambers getting boring quickly and it takes to long until you can enter them again.

(edited by WilliamDaBloody.2591)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

I generally have terrible RNG luck with finding just about anything….but I’ve been getting lots of each color of key pieces. I wish I paid attention from where I was getting them. I just run up the tower killing stuff and doing the hybrid at the end. Afterwords I check my bags and have lots of goodies.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The key as a loot reward from chest is once per day.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

keys also drop from random trash mobs, so far I’ve opened 6 chests today just from running with zergs…having said that, what’s in the chest up top is pretty much 99.9% junk (ie the usual crappy blues and geens and a tiny bit of dragonite) you’re better off just buying the skins/mini’s (if you want them) outright from the trading post.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Andrew.4506

Andrew.4506

you’re better off just buying the skins/mini’s (if you want them) outright from the trading post.

I would if I could, unfortunately anet in their infinite wisdom decided to make a mini rare to get, account bound, and the farm to obtain it is insane.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Kerushi.7609

Kerushi.7609

1. Get an alt to the top of the tower.
2. On your main buy the key pieces from Majory’s helper
3. Put the keys in the bank
4. Log into that alt
5. Send your alt to your home BL
6. Take keys out of bank
7. Get to the character select screen, then log back in on the same alt
8. Unlock chest
9. Repeat steps 1-8 at reset until you get the mini or the achievement, whatever you are shooting for.

~Shirin Shi (Silvari Necro)
TFG Os Northern Shiverpeaks

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Kerushi.7609

Kerushi.7609

you’re better off just buying the skins/mini’s (if you want them) outright from the trading post.

I would if I could, unfortunately anet in their infinite wisdom decided to make a mini rare to get, account bound, and the farm to obtain it is insane.

Actually they changed that. You can sell it now

~Shirin Shi (Silvari Necro)
TFG Os Northern Shiverpeaks

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

nightmare chambers have a very high key rate from the end chest
1st floor chambers are blue keys, 2nd are green 3rd are pink. I usually get a key every 3rd or so chamber.

Bosses also have a very high key drop rate from the steel chests they leave behind. The warlock on the first floor gives me a key practically every time I do it. The spider and wurm are similar for green keys. Unfortunately there’s no champion for the third floor, but the third floor does have 3 chambers, 2 of which are absolute cake to reach.

I’ve opened the tri-chest at least 15 times now, and I dont spend a lot of time in the tower since finishing the meta-event.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: slurpey.6014

slurpey.6014

I tried farming mobs in the tower, and farming the instances. The key piece drops are insanely rare. Been doing this for a good 5 hours now and only been able to put together one key from drops. Is there somewhere specific I should be farming or what?

I don’t think the drop rate is low. It’s just another RNG maybe lol. I did 5 runs from first level to 2nd level, then from 2nd to 3rd level. Another 8 runs from 3rd start to 3rd end for people that couldn’t get there alone. I managed to get 5 full keys and still have spares. But at least people that are not this lucky can get them from the npc, that’s a good start I guess.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Reesha.7901

Reesha.7901

RNG, RNG, RNG.

My friend and I did the entire event together. So far, he got enough to make 5 keys (and more). I got nothing.

I guess I have to pay to get my keys. Yay! I love RNG I really do. It is one of those things where players get rewarded fairly for their efforts (cough).

If there was one thing I could remove and one thing that I am fed up with in this game: RNG.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: ricohman.7302

ricohman.7302

Dont you get the 3 pieces in your mail, also with another character i got 2 of one colour, 4 of another in drops and got the pink i needed from the tri chest. If i was able to open the tri chest with 2 chars in 3 hrs then i think the drop rate is ok

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Bratpirat.6137

Bratpirat.6137

I got no key at all in my last 10 chambers, so the droprate is not ok to me.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Black Regent.5897

Black Regent.5897

Citation? I received no key pieces for instance end rewards yesterday. The only chest reward I’ve seen so far that gave a key piece was the chest after beating the Toxic Hybrid in story mode.

It is possible that this is a 24-hour thing that I missed, but, if so, I must have been REEEEEEAL close to the timer flipping when I kill the Hybrid again because I got plenty of other “once a day” bonus chest rewards.

As for the RNG, yea, the keys are a typically horrendous example of how bad ANET is at understanding the simple mathematics of chance. Or maybe they just don’t care, I don’t know.

The problem is they insist upon nesting your chances within other chances. Not only is it a “chance” that a piece will drop at all, you only have a 1 in 3 chance of the piece you NEED dropping on a full run from the bottom up and then you just use it to open a chest for a “chance” at something good.

I got screwed because I had bad luck on the first two floors and got no key drops at all, then I got six F’ing drops on the third floor, so I was running around after the first run and chest open with five friggin’ pink keys that are of absolutely no use. Or let me trade two of them for one of another color at the merchant or SOMETHING. The chance of that happening is about 0.13%, but kitten it is frustrating as hell now that it did because here I am sitting on all these worthless keys with that chest just sitting there laughing at me.

And it’s so pointless, too. Just make it one key and cut the drop rate on it to 1/3 of the chance of any color dropping now. Or, to get people to stay on different floors, make them champ-kill rewards. Something else. ANYTHING else. Just PLEASE stop nesting chances within chances, it’s just absolutely terrible.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: slurpey.6014

slurpey.6014

Citation? I received no key pieces for instance end rewards yesterday. The only chest reward I’ve seen so far that gave a key piece was the chest after beating the Toxic Hybrid in story mode.

It is possible that this is a 24-hour thing that I missed, but, if so, I must have been REEEEEEAL close to the timer flipping when I kill the Hybrid again because I got plenty of other “once a day” bonus chest rewards.

When you open the big box on top of the tower you receive a key piece once per day. once per day means server reset. so you can open it at 3.59 pm pdt and at 4.01pm pdt and get 2 keys. One before and one after reset as an example. Or you can get 1 key piece from a champion event per day (inside the tower), or one key piece from the last instance but it seems that if you’ve done all your achievements (mini, hybrid slayer) for the last instance then it’s more likely rng to get one after finishing the instance. The Npc outside in kessex hills sells you 1 complete key a day as well (account wide not per character) everything else is unfortunately instance level farming.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

When you open the big box on top of the tower you receive a key piece once per day. once per day means server reset. so you can open it at 3.59 pm pdt and at 4.01pm pdt and get 2 keys. One before and one after reset as an example. Or you can get 1 key piece from a champion event per day (inside the tower), or one key piece from the last instance but it seems that if you’ve done all your achievements (mini, hybrid slayer) for the last instance then it’s more likely rng to get one after finishing the instance. The Npc outside in kessex hills sells you 1 complete key a day as well (account wide not per character) everything else is unfortunately instance level farming.

Sounds to me like there’s plenty of ways of obtaining keys, idk what everyone is whining about…

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

Sounds to me like there’s plenty of ways of obtaining keys, idk what everyone is whining about…

Look how they’re available.
RNG – drops from mobs
RNG – drops from nightmare cells
1/day from the top of the tower instance?
Purchasable 1/day also limited by RNG spores/TP gold sink and a small gold sink on top of that.

It all stems from, once again, the fact that RNG is broken and no one is doing anything about it. Some people win the lottery every day, other people might as well be working the coal mines, yelling at their dead canary about their disparate work environment.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: J Night.3468

J Night.3468

Rare? i got two and a half keys on my first run through to the top and i was rushing for most of it.

Embrace the darkness..

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

Look how they’re available.
RNG – drops from mobs
RNG – drops from nightmare cells
1/day from the top of the tower instance?
Purchasable 1/day also limited by RNG spores/TP gold sink and a small gold sink on top of that.

It all stems from, once again, the fact that RNG is broken and no one is doing anything about it. Some people win the lottery every day, other people might as well be working the coal mines, yelling at their dead canary about their disparate work environment.

I have arguably the worst drop rate in the game and I still managed to make 2 keys just today off of drops alone. They aren’t as rare as people are whining about. I’m betting most of them are just running through to 3rd floor, grinding out a few mobs, possibly doing a chamber or two, then rushing to the forums to complain they didn’t get enough to make a key.

Everytime I go in, I’ll start at the bottom unless I’m feeling really lazy. It doesn’t take that long to fight your way to the top. And guess what? By the time I reach the top I usually have enough to make half a key, if not a whole one. In fact the 2 times I’ve done the chest so far, I haven’t used the ones I got in the mail. It was all from drops. Yes they don’t get puked out like aetherkeys, but they aren’t impossible to get.

As bad as my drop rates in this game are, and I agree the RNG is garbage in this game, I would be the last person saying the drop rates are fine, but I think on these they are ok. And considering that, plus you can still get them guaranteed other ways, there’s no reason to cry over it. Go try having fun for once instead of worrying about min/maxing your grinding. This instance is a blast if you don’t go to farm. Look at it this way, most of us agree the RNG is borked, but guess what? That chest has RNG too. So even if you get your keys, you’ll prob just get some random useless gear anyway. So just have fun. Stop worrying over it.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Yes, it is very low. Any you can buy one of each color key piece a day from the vendor. But it would have been nice if you could buy 3 key pieces of any color instead of just one of each. That way you could use the vendor to complete sets. You might need 2 red keys to complete your sets for the day or 2 reds and a green would give you 2 whole keys.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

It’s amazing that someone can experience good luck and then tell everyone that if they don’t have good luck, they shouldn’t complain because there is no problem.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Black Regent.5897

Black Regent.5897

This is incorrect. I did the Chamber instance on day 1, again yesterday, and again just now. I was given the option to choose a key only once: after completing the Chamber instance in story mode. Repeated runs have resulted only in the choice between a shell and heirloom pouch. Other than that, the only sources for keys appear to be the 24 hour vendor and random drops from mobs.

Also, I have NEVER gotten a green key drop. Not once in multiple runs from bottom to top has a green key dropped. Obviously this is not because it doesn’t happen, but it’s a perfect illustration of why this sort of system is so screwed up despite ANET’s stubborn refusal to stop doing it. It doesn’t matter how many keys I get from the other two floors, they are rendered 100% useless by the lack of 2nd floor keys. They are not tradable, you cannot exchange them with a vendor, they’re just ugly, useless little keys that will eventually be right-clicked and destroyed having served absolutely no purpose.

(edited by Black Regent.5897)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

^ Heh, wish we could trade keys. I have 4 Green Keys, 2 Blue Keys, and absolutely no Pink Keys. (Luckily I made the right decision and picked the Pink Key when I beat the Story Instance.) I’ve resigned myself to just buying a Pink Key before heading into the Tower just to beat the RNG odds.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

RNG, RNG, RNG.

My friend and I did the entire event together. So far, he got enough to make 5 keys (and more). I got nothing.

I guess I have to pay to get my keys. Yay! I love RNG I really do. It is one of those things where players get rewarded fairly for their efforts (cough).

If there was one thing I could remove and one thing that I am fed up with in this game: RNG.

It’s another part of their pre-launch design philosophy they scrapped. They talked about doing a dungeon and getting something you want (instead of hoping for a 1% drop item), feeling rewarded each time you did a dungeon (originally it was one piece of gear per dungeon run, that turned into tokens and several runs). Now we have an entire tower where you can run around in it for hours, get to the top and get nothing but a rare or two with some blues and greens.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Reesha.7901

Reesha.7901

It’s another part of their pre-launch design philosophy they scrapped. They talked about doing a dungeon and getting something you want (instead of hoping for a 1% drop item), feeling rewarded each time you did a dungeon (originally it was one piece of gear per dungeon run, that turned into tokens and several runs). Now we have an entire tower where you can run around in it for hours, get to the top and get nothing but a rare or two with some blues and greens.

Yes, it is lovely. Let’s see:

Fractal weapons: RNG
New Twilight Weapons: RNG
Precursors: RNG
Ascended weapon drops: RNG
Tequalt mini pet: RNG
Yellow Aquabreather: RNG
Black Lion Claim Ticket Scrap : RNG
Toxic Spore Skin back-slot item: RNG

And there are many more of course. Funny enough, even salvaging items to increase rng has a rng element to it.

They have added ascended crafting, so there is a way to obtain those outside rng, but besides those: It all seems to be about RNG these days.

I am happy I can at least buy those key pieces, but overall: I miss ways to work towards things in this game without the RNG element and without feeling punished for not having RNG luck. This tower is no exception.

Rant over. Sorry for hijacking this topic. I just find the vast amounts of RNG in GW2 extremely frustrating.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Just wanted to mention that I think drop rates have gotten worse. At the start of the event I was getting one or two key pieces after a few hours of play going from floor to floor. The last 3 days I have not looted a single key piece from any floor and I am relying entirely on the key pieces from the merchant to make tri-keys. The loot I’ve been getting from the chest is not even worth the cost of getting the keys via the merchant. Won’t be doing that any more.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

After going in the Tower several more times, my advice now is to do the Nightmare Chambers if you’re after key pieces. Those seem to drop fairly commonly from the end chest, so aim for Chambers on the appropriate level if you need a specific colour.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Actually top instance you only get a key piece the very first time. I’ve done the big boss LOTS of times and only get an option for a champ box and not keys.

I have 5-7 green & blue keys and need pink pieces and not getting any dropping for me. -_-

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Just wanted to mention that I think drop rates have gotten worse. At the start of the event I was getting one or two key pieces after a few hours of play going from floor to floor. The last 3 days I have not looted a single key piece from any floor and I am relying entirely on the key pieces from the merchant to make tri-keys. The loot I’ve been getting from the chest is not even worth the cost of getting the keys via the merchant. Won’t be doing that any more.

I seem to be experiencing that as well. First couple days I managed to get enough keys to make 4 complete ones and a few duplicate extras. The last couple days I’ve gotten very few drops and had to rely on buying key parts to make even a single one.

Could just be luck, though. Luck is stupid that way.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

They must be trying to tweak this. Farming the second floor caverns for most of a day netted not one green key. Farming the first floor caverns for hours earned no blue keys.
Running through the third floor yielded 8 pink keys. Yet last night I got a green key from the final boss chest. Go figure.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Winespring Brother.2970

Winespring Brother.2970

Just as an FYI, the mysterious green/blue/pink keys also drop from the toxic seed boxes that you can purchase up to 5/day for 750 glory in the Heart of the Mists from the rank glory vendors. I get 0-2 keys per day from 5 boxes.

Yak’s Bend
Charr Ranger of the Iron Legion

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Just as an FYI, the mysterious green/blue/pink keys also drop from the toxic seed boxes that you can purchase up to 5/day for 750 glory in the Heart of the Mists from the rank glory vendors. I get 0-2 keys per day from 5 boxes.

Unfortunately, those require doing PvP. :P

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Winespring Brother.2970

Winespring Brother.2970

Daily PvP is a good way to get extra achievement points, and these toxic seed boxes are a good sink for my 100k glory lol, not to mention hot-join is much easier than running the 3rd level gauntlet if you don’t have a group to run with.

Yak’s Bend
Charr Ranger of the Iron Legion

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

Daily PvP is a good way to get extra achievement points, and these toxic seed boxes are a good sink for my 100k glory lol, not to mention hot-join is much easier than running the 3rd level gauntlet if you don’t have a group to run with.

I’m not particularly interested in running a game mode I don’t personally enjoy for rewards unrelated to that mode. Just personal opinion there, though…

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Eis.6984

Eis.6984

Yeah, the chance at a chance at a chance thing is ridiculous.

I’ve opened that chest about 20 times, and gotten no event items other than the worthless recipe.

I came back to the game recently, in part because I wanted to check out how Living Story events were these days. Between the Halloween event this year (much worse than last year) and the two toxic events, the game has taught me to stop bothering with Living Story content the instant my meta achievement is done.