Being forced to replay missions is bad

in Living World

Posted by: Diknak.8534

Diknak.8534

I really like the setup, but I only have one complaint:

I don’t like the fact that the achievements were locked until we completed the entire story. For example, none of the Seraph workers died the first time I did Disturbance in Brisban . . . I shouldn’t have to do it again just to get the achievement.

I honestly don’t know how you thought this was a good idea. This goes completely against industry standards and it seems like a cheap way to force replayability. Please don’t do this again.

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

I don’t like the fact that the achievements were locked until we completed the entire story. For example, none of the Seraph workers died the first time I did Disturbance in Brisban . . . I shouldn’t have to do it again just to get the achievement.

I honestly don’t know how you thought this was a good idea. This goes completely against industry standards and it seems like a cheap way to force replayability. Please don’t do this again.

Did some of them die the second time?

in Living World

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

I like how you use the word “force” but how does it apply?

I I forgot the hidden clause in the ToS that requires players to hunt achievements in order to progress through all and any content provided….o wait

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in Living World

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

It’s not as if Inquest is trying to hurt them, or anything… Well, it’s true that for the subsequent playthroughs it’d be nice to at least have some exp or loot from mobs in these quests, as currently one feels he’s rather wasting time there…

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

in Living World

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I agree. I think, if it’s possible, that the achievements should be hidden until you complete the content. This way, if you really, really want to grab achievements on the first run, you can google it or whatnot, but it doesn’t feel like you’re being forced to do them.

It’s not as if Inquest is trying to hurt them, or anything… Well, it’s true that for the subsequent playthroughs it’d be nice to at least have some exp or loot from mobs in these quests, as currently one feels he’s rather wasting time there…

They don’t drop any loot so you can’t just sit there farming the mobs inside an instance for eternity. Would be nice if this were changed so that, for example, the first X amount of mobs drop loot normally and after that, they stop, if the game thinks you’re getting to the point of silliness.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Living World

Diknak.8534

I like how you use the word “force” but how does it apply?

I I forgot the hidden clause in the ToS that requires players to hunt achievements in order to progress through all and any content provided….o wait

‘Forced’ is used in context, and you know it. The problem is with the very limited number of characters that can be used in the subject. But thanks for replying and adding to the conversation.

in Living World

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Don’t mind it myself. I imagine it’s to make the story more of the focus than the achievements.
This chapter was loaded to the brim with lore, answering many unanswered questions. I honestly like this model. Keeps things more emmersive than following a checklist guide ever would.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Living World

Diknak.8534

I agree. I think, if it’s possible, that the achievements should be hidden until you complete the content. This way, if you really, really want to grab achievements on the first run, you can google it or whatnot, but it doesn’t feel like you’re being forced to do them.

I agree, I think this is the best approach. It prevents the story from being spoiled due to the descriptor text while not requiring multiple run throughs. This is how some achievements are done on xbox and it works well.

in Living World

Diknak.8534

Don’t mind it myself. I imagine it’s to make the story more of the focus than the achievements.
This chapter was loaded to the brim with lore, answering many unanswered questions. I honestly like this model. Keeps things more emmersive than following a checklist guide ever would.

I agree with you that last season was very much checklist guided, but they can still have the story guided approach like they did this time but with the achievements unlocked.

in Living World

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

I agree, I think this is the best approach. It prevents the story from being spoiled due to the descriptor text while not requiring multiple run throughs. This is how some achievements are done on xbox and it works well.

This is how it was for Halloween achievements for the first year…and you can probably guess what happened. People freaked out, starting name calling and got overly kittened off about it.

The system in place works, and it does what it is designed to do. First run is to make sure you take in the story, second is for achievements…it does make sense.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in Living World

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

I totally agree with the OP. What’s especially annoying is that if I hadn’t read that the achievements are not available UNTIL you do the story once on Dulfy, I would never have known. The lack of direction and information IN GAME is beyond annoying.

Add in the fact that you cannot skip the bad daytime soap dialogue and you would almsot think that Anet were tryign to deliberatley troll the playerbase.

(edited by Mitch.4781)

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

While I’m loving the lore and new stuff to do so far, I do agree that locking the achievements until we complete the story once first is just plain annoying. It’s an obvious attempt to increase replayability, but it comes off feeling forced and artificial rather than a natural effect.

in Living World

Posted by: OtakuModeEngage.8679

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Do you really expect to get all the achievements in the first play through? one way or another you’ll have to replay to get the achievements. but no one is forcing you to get the achievements, there’s not even a reward for them.

in Living World

Posted by: joneb.5679

joneb.5679

There are rewards for the total achievement points held in an account. Apart from that the achievements are designed to make the new story content seem more than it is. By having players repeat it multiple times for each character makes it seem a lot to those who don’t mind doing that but to those of use who don’t play that way its very little content.

I use forums to give my opinions but I mostly avoid discussing over
them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

in Living World

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

I don’t mind the achievements being locked the first time through. What I do mind is that unlocking the achievements aren’t account wide while the achievements are account bound. If they are going to be one time achievements PER ACCOUNT, then after I do the story with my Ranger I should be able to do the achievements on my Guardian who is running through for first time.

in Living World

Posted by: jason.2043

jason.2043

I don’t mind the achievements being locked the first time through. What I do mind is that unlocking the achievements aren’t account wide while the achievements are account bound. If they are going to be one time achievements PER ACCOUNT, then after I do the story with my Ranger I should be able to do the achievements on my Guardian who is running through for first time.

Can we revisit this please. The point Galphar makes is very strong. Doing the story the first time should unlock the achievements account wide. Look how inconvenient it is in the Torn from the Sky achievements. I play a human as my main. I have to replay this one chapter FOUR times!

in Living World

Posted by: Yol.1685

Yol.1685

I went through acts 1 and 2 on my norn warrior and aside from getting the acknowledgement of completing the story parts I wasn’t able to do any of the achievements. I then went through the story on my sylvari guardian, and I was able to do the achievement where you help the sylvari resist the call of mordremoth. However, in prisoners of the dragon it wouldnt let me do peer review or the smiths, but it did recognise the achi where you have to land in the lit circle. So it appears that some of the access to achievements are unlocked for the account after running through the story first time. Personally, I wish that access to all the achievements was account bound after running through the story first time.

in Living World

Posted by: Goldrock.9076

Goldrock.9076

they kinda called achievments for a reason.If yuor forced to replay a mission so be it its a ACHIEVMENT.