Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: BobbyStein

Previous

BobbyStein

Guild Wars 2 Narrative Lead

Next

The best is yet to come.

So more massacres, mayhem, and destruction in your words. Why is that since the start of this Living World (although I may risk saying that there were signs of this in the vanilla game as well) the only way you guys seem to be able to drive the story forward is through mass killings and calamities (that often draw parallels with real life modern attacks on innocents)?

Remember this picture attached to the Story Journal reveal page? I can’t decide whether it’s hilarious, ridiculous, or outrageously imbecile and depressing that it’s a spot-on summary of your entire storytelling to date…

What sort of stories would you like to see?

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

The best is yet to come.

So more massacres, mayhem, and destruction in your words. Why is that since the start of this Living World (although I may risk saying that there were signs of this in the vanilla game as well) the only way you guys seem to be able to drive the story forward is through mass killings and calamities (that often draw parallels with real life modern attacks on innocents)?

Remember this picture attached to the Story Journal reveal page? I can’t decide whether it’s hilarious, ridiculous, or outrageously imbecile and depressing that it’s a spot-on summary of your entire storytelling to date…

Tell us a story, that is worth telling. Ah, and don’t hold back on new maps, like real ones, not map teasers…

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: BobbyStein

Previous

BobbyStein

Guild Wars 2 Narrative Lead

The best is yet to come.

Tell us a story, that is worth telling. Ah, and don’t hold back on new maps, like real ones, not map teasers…

Vague answer is vague.

Big Improvment

in Living World

Kaiyanwan.8521

The best is yet to come.

Vague answer is vague.

Want me to write you a story? Hire me.
If you are good at something never do it for free.

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Tamias.7059

Tamias.7059

The best is yet to come.

Aren’t you a nice guy.

Victory Is Life Eternal [VILE]

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

The best is yet to come.

it would however be nice now and then to return to the intensely personal stories from the early levels. perhaps not with the same amount of variation (because work) but now and then an antagonist with a specific agenda to target the player character would be nice. I’m just imagining the possibility of our friends and contacts being used to shelter us from some shadowy assassin or other dire peril that has a specific agenda targeting us rather than world domination. I’m sure along the way we’ve made more than a few accidental enemies and collateral damage that may incite semi-justifiable revenge from a few characters.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

The best is yet to come.

You are aware what kind of game you’re playing, right?

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I’d love to see more exploration into the time before Humans came to the scene.
We hear small tantalizing things about how the Mursaat, Jotun, Seers, Dwarf, and Forgotten allied against the Dragons.
I’d love to see Priory/Indiana Jones style adventures where we learn more about the ancient past of Tyria.

That’s what really drew me into the latest episode. The Master of Peace commenting on a power that was so great. I hopped in my chair wondering if he meant the Bloodstones or some old relic we haven’t discovered yet.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

Ha. History … I dream to discover more about my race, went home and know that there was such a change. As much as I would like to discover different orders affiliated with the tyrie stories. for exploration. discoveries. get closer to the dragons.

it is wave, said like that.

actually, yes … for me approffondir immersion. Discover more of elements of our respective races. See the world evolve. Cities grow and improve. Always travel farther. To discover who is arriving at jotuns, muursaats to the ruins of our former gw1 known places. See stories that make us a true hero, a true commander. Or an explorer.

But now, I love your work (although I started to develop a big anti-humain/sylvaris racism.)

Oh! and … What happened to the consortium? they will continue to arrange southern sun?

# Asura because I’m worth it!

(edited by Louveepine.7630)

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

The best is yet to come.

My favorite stories from the personal story and from a lot of other games are the ones in which the stakes get smaller but more personal. I don’t mean to be mean and I definitely don’t want to denigrate the improvements that have been made in living story, but I think my favorite quest I’ve done in the entire game was helping an Asuran merge into a golem so he could be with his true love. It’s cute, unique and (relatively) simple. Some of the coolest world encounters you have are with ghosts that have sad stories to tell and in at least one case, helping them find redemption. I would really like an update that was nothing but adding one-off stories of different characters in a way that didn’t necessarily do anything other than tell a story. If it needed to be characters from Destiny’s Edge, I’d be fine with that so long as it was stuff that focused on adding more to the characters rather than relying on what is already there (like the story between Belinda and Marjory, I don’t feel enough stakes yet to actually want them to be together).

To be honest, I’m not sure how that would work in practice in a way that wouldn’t feel like it was too small of an update, so I sympathize quite a bit. But I think the vast majority of complaints come from people who feel like the game started as your character being a big fish in a small pond and ultimately became about being a tiny fish in an enormous pond, incapable of changing or improving the world around you while NPCs did exactly that. So maybe if your character was helping the world around you in tiny bits, that would be a cool change of pace.

With all that being said, if you read this and think, “but that’s what we tried to improve on”, I completely agree and I really responded to this last chapter in a way I didn’t with most of the previous content. I blazed through the story because I wanted to see what was next, and the stuff with Scarlett hidden almost like an easter egg was absolutely brilliant. I just really hope that this is the permanent direction that we are going and not just a side road on the way to an ultimate story between two characters that are not ones I’ve created. :-)

(edited by wwwes.1398)

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

All right, barring all technical limitations:

I just wish us the players were in the spotlight instead of (unbearable) NPC’s. If you need a group to take a baddie down, have us group up as player characters. If not, have us solo our way. Let us be the hero that calls the shots, not a silent bystander. Let us feel heroic, be it solo or group.

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: BrianRonin.1673

BrianRonin.1673

The best is yet to come.

Vague answer is vague.

My favorite response to date from a Anet staffer.

Tonight I am finally gearing up to check out the new story, all this forum hype instead of negativity has had me regretting these long 16 hour days this week. I think the anet team learned a lot from season 1 and the story kept evolving with each lesson. The time you guys had to go from season 1 to season 2 was just the break you guys likely needed to really implement new story details and hooks that you didn’t know or could perform before.

You can’t please everyone, you shouldn’t feed forum trolls. I think the team deserves a pat on the back for taking the very unique stance on self improvement in a MMO.

As far as your question goes that wasn’t directed at me!

I’d love more story like the initial ark of the personal story, discovering things that relate to my character but may not necessarily be about my character.

I’ve love to see the story feel more like a group effort (I think you guys are already doing this from my reading) I know I love to roll into story instances with my friends. As a group of heroes as the story focus with our new NPC friends I think you have a powerful focal point.

Then finally, I’d like to see some public choice based development around the reconstruction of lion’s arch. Like stylistically deciding between what group of carpenters rebuild the buildings (for the look). Letting the players choose if we want the city to be more militaristic in the rebuild like high walls with air cannons or if we want to open it back up as a trading port with the world.

Given how people are still announcing their allegiance to team gashblade (go evon!) I think these type of choice story events can be good for the community as a whole.

Thank you for reading and i plan to post again once I’ve gotten the chance to check out the new story!

Ronin the Revenant – Necro – Borlis Pass
Worst Necro ever!

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

First of all, I want to see variety. Like in Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall.

From fighting a losing war to seeking refuge, guiding their countrymen through perilous passages, joining cultists that threaten the very faith they were fostered in, becoming rebels upon learning the horrid truth, fleeing to the desert wastes to seek greater power, turning the tide and taking the fight to the main antagonists, to facing the evil they’d considered their staunchest ally.

Mere students only blossoming their skills in their chosen studies get dragged into the machinations of someone who had nearly destroyed an entire continent 200 years ago. They encounter an enemy that nearly becomes their doom, but they are given a second chance to carry out the will of their saviors. From that point they rally the weary armies a troubled emperor, thwart the rituals of their cunning nemesis, join fractured nations, learning their culture, understanding them, cure an ancient ally who empowers them in return… and at last they unite an empire to destroy its ruination for good.

Promising initiates to an order intent on keeping peace in the bountiful provinces of the golden sun begin a journey that will take them from protecting villages from corsairs to the deepest pits of a hellish realm. Captains, hunted criminals, generals and war heroes, slayers of demons, saviors of the wealthiest princes in the world, negotiators of a ruthless undead warlord, lightbringers. They have to be all to even stand a chance, to become the chosen of the true gods… and their only hope.

Where are these stories, Bobby? You were there, you participated in the creation of these amazing tales. Where have they gone? What happened to them? Why can’t they inspire you anymore?

I can’t believe the spark that gave birth to epic legends such as that of Turai Ossa and Palawa Joko, Saul D’Alessio, and all those countless uplifting, touching, bittersweet myths and stories that were weaved into the fabric of the Guild Wars universe is gone.

As for a less theatrical answer to your question: less frequent senseless violence (especially targeting likeable characters or groups of characters) and more scenarios similar to the Ascension in the Crystal Desert, where we actively seek greater power in uninhabited, forgotten regions. Many more stories involving the Orders who finally learn how to pass on the idiot ball to their foes and proactively seek to further their agenda: Vigil campaigns routing large pockets of branded/icebrood/destroyers, or giving — and succeeding in — humanitarian aid to refugees displaced by dragons, local conflicts, etc. Order of Whispers operations against the Inquest and the remnants of the Aetherblades, investigating the corrupt ministry of the humans (may as well foil some sinister plots of those bourgeois White Mantle pawns), the Arcane Council’s ties to the Inquest, shedding some light on Imperator Ruinbringer’s rumored shady dealings, etc. Durmand Priory: tomb raiding ala Lara Croft and/or Indiana Jones, even in dragon-held domains. Oh, and more explorations into Orr; the southern shores (Palawa’s forward scouts might already be there now that ol’ Z has kicked the bucket!), further into the catacombs of Arah, Zhaitan’s corpse, etc.

And what I cannot stress enough: Inspiration in both storytelling, writing, and lore from Guild Wars 1.

@Tamias: Never claimed I was nice. As long as some hear what I’ve been trying to tell for nearly 2 years and start thinking (back then it started very mildly and politely, but over time I became embittered), I’m okay with infamy. I just care too much about the Guild Wars universe to be hindered by playing nice. In the immortal words of Pyre Fierceshot: “Only a poor warrior abandons his best weapons.”

@Sariel V: When I bought the game, I was entirely sure it was a fantasy MMORPG based on an incredible prequel. Now I’m not so sure. It’s more like what I described in my signature with (post-)apocalyptic scenarios awaiting us in every zone we visit.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

(edited by Thalador.4218)

Big Improvment

in Living World

Kaiyanwan.8521

OK, things that have to happen to make story telling bearable:

1. Don’t make your players ingame characters feel dumb

Like we all know there is a new dragon. But our characters do not. This creates a big disconnect between the player and the character, breaking immersion non-stop.
A story writer could fall into the trap to think that most players are curious to learn how the character ingame discovers the truth (about the dragon), but in the end, now that the players knows about the dragon, they more likely feel like all content up to the “reveal” of the dragon is just filler content.
Actually, nothing but the dragon itself will satisfy many players. No need to defeat him, just meeting him would be enough to close the former LS1 storyline (awakening of the dragon) and offer some new chance for suspense and curiousity, instead of feeling like killing time.

2. Make me a hero

You know, your new group of random heroes (Destiny’s Edge 2.0) is OK. I do not care about them too much, but hey, variation is good. Unfortunately, the story writers have decided, that variety is no longer needed.
Every. Single. Living. Story you introduce includes them. I am as tired of dumb Braham as I was of Scarlet.

I am a Commander of the Pact, second in command (until I get a chance to feed Trahearne to the rabbits, which will make me number one), and so is every other player who has finished the Personal Story (which is sort of the story line you expect people to have completed). Now that we know, there is a new dragon (see 1. Don’t make your players ingame characters feel dumb) it is time to mobilize the troops and confront the new evil before he gets too strong.

Put the “personal” part back into the story. Make it about me, not about a brain-amputeed norn, two girls who actually need a time out and have some serious fun desperately, a nerdy kid and a pet with a pet. Let them be part of the story, but not the story itself. And give the player the illusion, that he/she is discovering things, and pushing the story forward.

3. Give me back my cut scenes

Let my character actually talk to people, like in the Personal Story. Give my character some character. Why did you get rid of the conversation cut scenes anyway? Are the voice actors too expensive?
This was a really cool feature, which I am very sorry that it is gone. Monologue and dialogue are very strong vehicles to transport a story. Giving it enough room to happen sets the important parts of it apart from the random chatter.

I could go on, but hey, I was very generous already…

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

So “keep guessing until you get it, all the while I’ll tell you how bad it is”.

He’s not asking for you to write a story. He’s asking what topics you’d like addressed as the story progresses.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

(edited by TheDaiBish.9735)

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

The best is yet to come.

Vague answer is vague.

You’re a good writer? Why don’t you share your works with all of us, as it seems you are very open to critique.

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The best is yet to come.

Some the best story bits in the main story came from the investigations and things like the bit in Scarlets House. They just needed to be a bit more substantial rather than “press F to find out more”. Puzzle solving perhaps, following clues without a big green star over the item.

In terms of other stories, I want side stories going on around the world. We still really haven’t seen a true Living World yet. Its still essentially just a standard storyline, just opened up to wider number of people and split into chunks. The rest of the world just seems to shut down. We have centaur wars, charr/human conflicts and pacts outside Ebonhawke. Perhaps every couple of Months our Order could send us somewhere to investigate something. Maybe lore, or spy on a faction, invesitagte an artifact, investigate news of new dragon incursions in the Brand or Shiverpeaks. This is what i expected the Living World would be, but we haven’t really broken new ground here yet.

Maybe whilst telling the main story, we could have side stories of other things going on in the world. Even if its just a series of new DE’s we could play through.

In terms of the main story…big improvement this time. There was lots of it (always a good sign!!!), throwbacks to existing lore (another good sign!!!!), a great mix of action/dialogue and some excellent dialogue (well in Taimi mainly). And please don’t go back to cutscenes. They added nothing for me. What you have now works imo.

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

Of course, the issue with all this is that most likely, the first time stories could actually be tweaked would be months from now because of programming and what not. But a few tweaks in dialogue could probably be done, and anything that makes the PC seem more like the leader of the group would be a really good idea.

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I would love to see more history, lore, powerful artifacts, information on the races that defeated the dragons last time and how they did it. I would also like to see us encounter the dragon sooner in the story. We didn’t meet Zhatian until the moment we killed him. I would like to see the dragon destroy something before we are even close to facing him. Make the threat of destruction more real.

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

3. Give me back my cut scenes

Let my character actually talk to people, like in the Personal Story. Give my character some character. Why did you get rid of the conversation cut scenes anyway? Are the voice actors too expensive?
This was a really cool feature, which I am very sorry that it is gone. Monologue and dialogue are very strong vehicles to transport a story. Giving it enough room to happen sets the important parts of it apart from the random chatter.

I could go on, but hey, I was very generous already…

The reasons for getting rid of that specific type of cut scenes is that it simply did not tell the story well and broke immersion. I am glad that they are gone. Sadly the player must pay attention to the surroundings to get the full effect. I like cut scenes like Guild Wars 1 cut scenes.

As for the type of story I want to see is more of The Quest, and Voyage and Return out of the The Seven Basic Plots I find the game is filled with Overcoming the Monster. There are monsters everywhere. More back-story and more ties to Guild Wars 1 would be nice. I see possible hints of it in Season 2 I am going to hold off all criticism until I see the full story however.

That said the delivery is much improved over season 1.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

This is a huge improvement on how to deploy LS updates. I gave up on season 1 LS half-way though. There wasn’t much of a story and I couldn’t see the point of grinding through the quests just to tick off achievements. This is the first living story line I played where I want to see what happens next.

Pluses:

• New zone to explore — hoping next episode will unlock more of flat top
  • Good background especially the journal notes in the extra items in Scarlett’s old room
  • Quest journal with what seems to be a permanent new story

Room for improvement:

• Some of the quests seemed to be delayed due to waiting on character dialog. Would be nice to have a button to move them a long.
  • Not a fan of the unbalanced PVE combat mechanics. You slowly wear down your opponents in a fight, but they can quickly reduce you to 0 health. I would prefer if both sides had the same mechanics.
  • less jumping

(edited by Faux Play.6104)

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

While I do not agree to the… vehemency of Thalador’s post, I have to agree with his intention in terms of the direction of story.

The first two chapters of the personal story, as well as the fourth chapter (the first one with your mentor – before going to the racial sympathies) were the most unique storylines in Guild Wars 2 to date. Arguably the dungeon story modes too.

Aside from those, which focus on subterfuge, underhanded plots, personal battles, and other such things, all we get are “dragons causing mass destruction! dragons causing death! dragons! dragons! DRAGONS!”

Or supplement “Dragons” with “Scarlet” or “Karka” or “Alliances”.

Canach’s plot is arguably the most unique of the Living Story’s plots.

But compared to GW1? Even that appears the same with different flavors.

I think when we finally leave Tyria, there will be a chance at a new kind of storyline. But it seems like the intention is to go through the major dragons first, which will be all the same overarching kind of story.

But in Tyria, the Orders have such a minor role in what makes them unique (most of their roles is related to the Pact in the players’ eye) that there really doesn’t seem like much point to them. Sure, in lore they’re distinctively different, but this isn’t really portrayed to the players.

Which is where I think the crux of the issue is: portrayal to the players. This was one of Scarlet Briar and her alliance’s biggest downfalls in most players’ views – how she was delivered and how much information we, the players, got at each update. This seems to have improved a bit with Season 2 – hard to say with only one sample – but compared to GW1 this is incredibly pathetic, to be blunt. Just look at all those events in the world. Thousands of events, and how much of them give worthwhile story and plot? Barely a few. All those in Orr talk about relics and artifacts and knowledge… but we never see or are told anything about this stuff. We are given a bunch of points of interests, but know next to nothing about the history of these places – take the Zaishen Anthanium. Why were the Zaishen there? What was the places purpose? Why is there a statue of Grenth and coffins there instead of a statue of Balthazar? And for crying out loud what are those researcher asura looking for? We never learn. We’re never even given a hint to it.

And with Season 1, all the “we won’t tell you” was defined for the reason of “we’re saving it for later”. Yeah, sure, later when everyone grows tired of getting jack and kitten for lore and story and those who care for such leave. Guild Wars 2, now: “there’s stuff happening, but you barely know any of it!” Guild Wars 2, 5 years from now: “and THIS is the revelation you waited 6 years for!” That’s what it views to me like we’re getting when we’re told “it’s a story for later.”

I get that development takes time but honestly, it really feels like ArenaNet is intentionally putting out as little content as possible, given how much GW1 gave and made for money, and how successful GW2 was at launch with selling. And given how we’ve heard nothing about Jeff and Ree for the past 2 years now, in terms of what they’re working on – other than the novel Sea of Sorrows for Ree, that is.

And I’m getting into a tangent now, but it’s all frustrating.

What do I want to see with storytelling? Pretty much what Thalador wants to see, really. Variety. And actual lore delivery. Not breadcrumbs spread over the years. That’s not interesting – it may be in the short run, but people grow tired and forget things eventually, and we’ll just waltz away to more interesting games. Like most of [Lore] has.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Michael Walker.8150

Michael Walker.8150

I would really love to see some stories filling in some gaps, that players have missed because they were busy taking down bigger things. Short stories basically. Can be about anything really but preferably about positive events or outcomes. Negative ones are harder because those stories would be complete in themselves and shouldn’t have follow up quests.

For implementation I’m thinking something along the lines of the vision we had before traveling to Orr, if you want to include the player character that is.
What I would prefer though are stories about other characters, playable characters, highlighting the struggles of the common folk.

This would give you the chance to write a more focused storyline also and might be a nice change of pace compared to writing a story for commander299.844

Orr still looks exactly the same because it will take forever to rebuild it. However, it would be nice to have little details change that show players that the place is slowly healing. There are many things a little unclear and not fully fleshed out when it comes to the first campaign and the first living story and this would be both a chance to get stories you have written, but didn’t make it, into the game and attract players to older maps without the giant effort of creating map wide achievements and mechanics. Also you could test new mechanics on a smaller scale with less variables

This would all by at your leisure, no set release dates.

what do you think about the idea of short stories in the game, outside of books and conversations?

of course the content has to be flawless and not take any but instead give time to the writing of LS content!! (No, seriously, it should be done in your “disposable time”)

//edit

as mentioned, if you want users to write stories for you, you gotta pay :P

(edited by Michael Walker.8150)

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

If I can just slide in here, I’d like to see a location develop over the course of a living story.

For example, Fort Trinity was supposed to be this huge effort between the three Orders revamping an old fortress overlooking the Straits of Devastation because it’s a really strategically important location. That’s cool, but we never really see that, and the few parts we do see are split across a whole bunch of personal story events.

We’re probably going to need a new Fort Trinity if we’re going to go west and punch Mordy in the gob. So what if we had the opportunity to strike land somewhere and build it up? Trahearne says “commander, a word (this won’t end well) (moving on) go find a spot to build a fort” and we’re like “okay” and we go somewhere and build a fort. Could be cool.

pls no, joker
no pencil tricks

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Chamolin.4530

Chamolin.4530

I didn’t stay and see the hologram. I thought it finished. I’ll have to do it again.

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Chamolin.4530

Chamolin.4530

I enjoyed episode 1. Haven’t achieved any of the achievements yet but I intend to try. Its about time we got some more single player boss fights that require a decent amount of skill. something to make this game feel more like a game and not just a pass-through story with dialogue and a few mobs. The last boss fight was really well done and it wasn’t a walk in the park. The boss requiring you to defeat him solo without much help from the NPCs made me very happy. Story seems engaging and I can’t wait for episode 2. Good Job, Arenanet!

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I would like to see some lose ends tied up. I know some of these are 250 years too late, but what happened to Evania? And where is Livia now? What happens to my Hero’s and henchmen from Guild Wras? I’ve seen some graves for some of them but not all. Who did build the Eye of the North. Where have the 6 Gods gone? Why are there portals to the underworld spewing out monsters? How far have the White Mantle got in there plans to retake Kryta and can they be stopped? There are many more questions I have, but until/if we ever get to go back to Cantha/Elona they can wait.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: joneb.5679

joneb.5679

There should have been a full new zone by now not fed to us in bits but something full of events and bosses, champions and a world boss. It doesnt mean that even if a full zone is opened up to us the LS story cant develop in it the same time as we explore the new events etc. The events throughout the world of Tyria do not all relate to the personal story and the world is accessible even without doing the personal story

I use forums to give my opinions but I mostly avoid discussing over
them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

Must say I like this – a lot!

• Good story-telling
  • Nice instances
  • Replayable
  • Fun achivements
  • It’s permanent!
  • loot varies and is good… like Ascended and other things of need
  • Different things for diffrent play styles in Dry top
  • Loads of events, that suits whats going on in the area
  • I have probably forgot more good things about this…

Thank u A-net!

Kima & Co

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

Just wanted to add some kudos to the dev team for this release as well. The Dry Top zone is beautifully rendered, the events are varied and fun, there are some neat areas to explore, and the story was engaging. Nice work!

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

The best is yet to come.

Pfft. Don’t be a hater! Plus, it’s really hard/boring to design game content that doesn’t have some central point to mass mayhem and killing. Something like The King’s Speech or Roots wouldn’t exactly make satisfying game models unless you think “pressing F to run to an airport and get your girlfriend back” sounds like a game…

It’s pretty hard to make interactive media to tell a story that doesn’t include action or violence.

You want variety – well, we have variety. Sort of. I will not lie and say I do not have my doubts about the success of it – but there is mystery that shrouds The Pale Tree, the Sylvari and even the Zephyrites. Just because Mordremoth is the center of the destruction in this Living Story, that hardly makes the dragons any central character yet. Of course, they should be. It would be stupid to not make include them at some point. Dragons shouldn’t just magically disappear.

And that’s just involving Mordremoth. When we push onto other dragons, we might see more variety. Such as some (more) information about Jotun and the Sons of Svanir when we fight Jormag; and when Kralkatorrak (or whatever the name of him is) becomes the central dragon of fighting, we might see some closure with the Palawa Joko storyline and start pushing into Elonian territory.

Primordius will eventually also come around – I’m not sure what we’d see with him, but you get the point with the previous examples.

I think, the key is, that the story is diverse if you don’t let the “dragons, dragons, dragons!” mentality ruin your POV.

(edited by Cuddy.6247)

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Dunan Atreides.5436

Dunan Atreides.5436

I would like to see the kind of story that would make people buy Guild Wars 2 just to experience the story.

I would like the kind of story and characters that spawns rabid communities around them like the show ‘Community’,

I would like the team to explore small stories as well, and not be afraid to flesh out small dynamic event story chains without audio, because it seems audio always costs so high logistically.

I would like to have the story/game get so good that I can brag to random people that I was there from the beginning, and they will actually be jealous of me.

These are all really ‘after effects’ of the story, but I leave the details up to you guys.

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Zagerus.8675

Zagerus.8675

Have to chime in here as I am thoroughly enjoying every bit of this update. I loved the story that was told in season 1, I’ve never played anything that made me feel quite as heroic as I did taking down the Watchknights and storming Scarlet’s airship-drill with a hundred other players. It was a-mazing, and there are hundreds of other moments just like that that I’ll remember forever. Season 2 feels so organic and fleshed out already, especially with all of the lore that was seeded in I am totally digging it. Can’t wait for the next pieces of content to drop!

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

I love love love this first episode of season 2! The pacing and storytelling has seen so much improvement, it felt like an engaging narrative right from the start. I was posititvely surprised to find four (or was it five?) consecutive story instances as you progressed into throughout the zone. I like how it had a bit of platforming, a bit of fighting, a boss battle and an epilogue with optional investigation for more background and lore. I hope this isn’t the end of the Zephyrites (or their Labyrinthine Cliffs thing) though, I really like them and their architecture! I also like how we uncover some background on Scarlet. While I disliked her random zany overpowered appearances as a villain in season 1, finding her holomagic stuff in that house makes a nice attempt in making the character a little more believable, even after her death. Also the little references to personal storylines, such as Riot Alice, were a nice touch! And all the conversations throughout Prosperity, I love things like that, it really fleshes out the world atmosphere.

But best of all, if I have less time to play, now I can play whenever I want and not miss stuff – I can’t stand rushing in games, so much love for that.

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: IIvIIozzie.9250

IIvIIozzie.9250

The best is yet to come.

Vague answer is vague.

The kind of storytelling I’d like to see is where we can actually feel a connection to the characters. The problem with the races right now is most NPC’s do not stand out as individuals. Arenanet painted themselves into a corner when they decided “Well the Asuran are very smart and arrogant, the Norn are proud and competitive The Sylvari are quite ignorant, excited and in tune with the natural world , the Charr are similar to the Norn but also tend to be pessimistic and finally the humans – well they can be just about anything they want to be.” The way the other races have been stereotyped by design makes it difficult to find them interesting. Every NPC you talk to of a particular race doesn’t feel any different than when you talk to another NPC of the same ilk.

In our personal story we are introduced to secondary characters so frequently that you don’t have any time at all to feel any kind of bond with them, even the characters that are suppose to feel like your mentors. I only cared slightly about Tybalts death, but only after completing that storyline for the third time. After playing the storyline over and over again I thought “I’ve done this x times, and I still have no idea who the hell this person is”. I vaguely remember a norn lady being turned undead towards the end of the storyline but since I had little interaction with her it didn’t affect me as a player, and it should have, especially after having done it multiple times.

I’ll go as far as to write you could kill off Destiny’s Edge and the “Destiny’s Orphans” entirely and most players wouldn’t really care. We’ve been given very little personal interaction with them and their personality’s feel very flat. Characters like those should have their story intertwined with the players more frequently and in every facet of gameplay. The dungeon story line’s feel very bland after the second or third time going through, let alone the 50th.

If you really want to have epic storytelling consider working on your technology where we can have dynamic events cross over between zones. One example for such an event would be to have a quirky skritt who travels between zones trading goods, visiting friends and family and fighting an awful lot of enemies along the way. Something like that where you can have plenty of different 1on1 experiences helps build a relationship that players can invest their emotions into.

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I realy like the story your team is giving us. I don’t understand those who tries to change your story to something they have in mind. One can never please everyone with one story, there will always be someone who want’s it to be different.

No, if I want my own story I do me an RPGmaker game, write lyrics or my own novels I wont try to make GW2 to be exactly how I want it to be. I want to see GW2 story as Anet want’s it to be.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

So basically, what they did with this release? Good story, new map.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

Loved it, whoever the writer or writers where for this piece of content need to get floated a big fat pay raise.

For once I actually gave a kitten about the story members, each one had personality, each one had interesting things to say.

9/10

The only reason I deduct a point is because Kas and Majory’s lovey dovey crap was really really forced down. The entire time I was thinking.

“Okay we get it your in love, now can you help me find this mass murdering psycho?”

Regardless, I hope to god we get more, well-written and interesting content, even in little instances like this!

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Icealen.3802

Icealen.3802

I liked this new “episode” style living story. It gives everyone a chance to complete it, even casuals like me, or I can just simply log in and complete it later. No race to try and squeeze everything in. Bonus – it’s repeatable! It is indeed like watching a weekly TV show. It is a nice change to the system imo. I like the style a lot.

I’d be hard pressed to find something I didn’t like about the new Dry Top zone. Sandstorms, quicksand, utilization of zephyr light/sun/wind skills (I really liked these when they were first introduced in the sanctum last year), quests (even the three-toed tootsie), cactus harvesting, exploration – they all added up to lots of fun for me.

You guys continue great things. I can’t wait to tune in for the next episode!

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Natsu.2589

Natsu.2589

I didn’t like season one, because of many shortcomings I don’t want to repeat here. Let’s just hope we can leave this behind us. That having said, season two seems to make a good start.

The story telling is better – many information in the game itself. Also it manages to create some tension. I really want to know how it continues. Voice acting was great, btw. and what’s going on around the NPCs is really interesting. More tidbits of the lore, please! Gods, magic, society, … more, more, more! ^^

Although small, I do enjoy the map. It is solid and well crafted and a sight to see – if you like canyon landscapes that is. Matter of taste, I think. I especially like, what you did with the environment there. This occasional sandstorm (with treasure to find in it) is a really great idea and it looks fantastic! However, it makes me wish for a real weather (and environment) system in GW2. Cool quicksand idea also, btw! Bringing in the aspect crystals to open up new ways of exploring the map fits in nicely.

And of course, PERMANENT CONTENT! Yay! … Finally … <sigh>

I honestly have nothing negative to say about this patch so far, which is really rare in my case.

Thank you for this patch, Anet.

Now, keep up the good work!

(edited by Natsu.2589)

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Kiwicharr.8051

Kiwicharr.8051

I absolutely love the direction this story is taking! It is very exciting! As an ex gw1 player I am really hoping that you tie back to some things that have already been established in gw1 lore. The amount of things you can draw from is incredible! Also is Belinda and Taimi voiced by the same voice actor? They sounds very similar and while I really like Belinda’s character I am really not a big fan of her voice. Big thanks to the whole dev team and i am excited to see whats next!

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I’m especially happy that the writers included another chamber filled with clues for us to explore. I thought this was one of the strongest elements of season 1: Allowing the players to put the pieces of the puzzle together. I love getting vague clues and references to old GW1 lore. It’s also good that the writers chose to elaborate a bit more on young Scarlet. And the banter between the npc’s is just very well written. I especially liked Taimi commenting on Rox’s tail, that was a funny detail. And Rox joking on where Scarlet got her inspiration for her crazy hair.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I’m really enjoying myself. There were a few frustrating things along the way, but once I figured them out, it became satisfying. I’m working on some of the region achievements now, and suspect I won’t be able to do all of them. I might try some of the story journal achievements as well, but suspect I won’t do very well with some of those. And that’s OK. At my level of skill and patience, I won’t be able to do everything. I know where I fit on the curve, and that’s awesome.

I think it’ll be awhile before I can collect enough things to get ‘all’ the recipes I want. But it’s nice that there will be this little area here (that will clearly be part of a larger area as the story progresses) where I can knock about and spend some time collecting things I need to pick up some new recipes to learn. Mix that in with a little work I need to do towards my first legendary (yay!), and I enjoying where this is all going thus far.

I really love Scarlet’s room as well. Someone was commenting that they couldn’t figure out how to get back in after the first story pass, I hope there’s a way back in.

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

The best is yet to come.

Vague answer is vague.

No, they want you to tell them what would make a story “worth telling”. Basically all you told them is make it good, but you didn’t tell them what ‘good’ is to you. There are stories that you might find good that other people will hate and vice versa. What you said isn’t actionable. It’s like if you said “bring me shoes that are my favorite color” only you refused to tell them what your favorite color is.

Big Improvment

in Living World

Kaiyanwan.8521

The best is yet to come.

Vague answer is vague.

No, they want you to tell them what would make a story “worth telling”. Basically all you told them is make it good, but you didn’t tell them what ‘good’ is to you. There are stories that you might find good that other people will hate and vice versa. What you said isn’t actionable. It’s like if you said “bring me shoes that are my favorite color” only you refused to tell them what your favorite color is.

Hey, you did not like my job application? Neither did Bobby Stein it seems.
You got to be creative to apply for a creative position, but maybe calling out the guy you want to hire you is not the way to go.

Kudos to the guy who got the batman reference.

And by the way, you should read the posts that are not directly related to a red dev post – like the longish feedback I gave just a bit later on.
You could have saved yourself the trouble of writing the one I am qouting in the first place…

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Amstel Steel.2058

Amstel Steel.2058

“The bold efforts the present bank has made to control the Government… are but premonitions of the fate that awaits the American people should they be deluded into a perpetuation of this institution, or the establishment of another like it.”

President Andrew Jackson 1767-1845

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Cross.6437

Cross.6437

The best is yet to come.

I’m pretty ok with the destruction and massacre stories we’ve gotten. However, it’s always disappointed me that very rarely to we dovetail those disasters closely with the “let’s kill the elder dragons” story which should ALWAYS be at the heart of GW2 stories.

For example, in Flame and Frost we discovered a Molten Alliance factory. My understanding is that it was destroyed and that tech was then used to drill for lay lines. But I’ve always felt there was such an opportunity lost there (within the bounds of Flame and Frost) to give a larger message of hope on the Elder Dragon front.

Instead of being destroyed (because face it, destroying it was a narrative choice, and any other choice could have been just as viable), the factory could have been taken over by the pact or at the very least the vigil in order to study the new weapons and use the factory’s resources to help resupply the pact to fight the dragons.

Heck, converting the factory and clearing out Molten Alliance remnants could even have been it’s own one-path dungeon. That’s not only interesting, but it directly creates a sense of progress and hope in the fight against the elder dragons.

Another example, In The Nightmare Ends release, we destroyed the tower of nightmares. Again, it’s a narrative choice, the tower could have stayed in place, and the Sylvari could have adopted healing it and Kessex Hills as a pet project in order to develop techniques for healing Orr and other areas victim of dragon corruption (such as the Brand).

Again, that’s something that directly makes it feel like we’re making progress on the fight against the elder dragons, and again, that could even be a single-path dungeon all about the Wardens/Sylvari clearing out Toxic Alliance remnants and trying out cures.

These are stories I want to see because they make me as a player feel like what I’m doing out there in the world is still important. It makes me feel like as a commander of the Pact these are ways I’m still supporting the fight against the elder dragons even if I’m not actively leading troops or punching a dragon in the face at this very moment.

tl;dr in CDI format

Proposal Overview
I propose that in the future the writing and development staff attempt to more closely link living world stories with the ultimate goal of defeating the elder dragons.

Goal of Proposal
The goal is threefold:
*It alleviates community concerns that it feels like the Pact is not doing anything.
*It helps to maintain the focus of the world and story on the elder dragons even if an individual event doesn’t immediately appear to connect to it.
*It creates a sense of progress and development in the fight against the elder dragons.

Proposal Functionality
Instead of destroying areas like the Molten Factory or the Tower of nightmares, in the future the writing staff and development team should consider keeping these assets in the game and using them to connect to the elder dragons or the pact.

For example:
Make a permanent, single-path dungeon or story instance about clearing the Molten Factory and converting it into a pact weapon’s factory.

Make a permanent, single-path dungeon or story instance about clearing the Tower of Nightmares and how the Sylvari are using it to learn about healing the land in order to help areas like Orr that have been scarred by corruption.

Associated Risks
It takes time and resources to develop dungeon content.
Many people would expect new rewards from dungeon content.
These new instances may not directly advance the story in the current living story in which they appear and could be seen as a distraction during that release.

(edited by Cross.6437)

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I have an idea of what I’d like to see in the Living Story: I would like to see the dragons established as something menacing.

Since the release of the game we haven’t actually seen the Elder Dragons do anything even remotely to make us fear them, and it kind of deludes their position as the primary antagonists of the game. I see this as an interesting challenge for the writing team: Make the Elder Dragons scary, and make their threat feel real and present.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

I’m actually quite satisfied with current development. Player character voice acting would be nice, but if Anet does not have enough resources and making additional voice act would mean they have less money for gameplay development, then it is better to not have it in. But if it is only about localisation and timing then, please add it. 99% of current story is told during gameplay in chat bubbles + voice act. Your player character is just silent all the time like Gordon Freeman. If he/she could get some dialogue bubbles + voice act, it would be greatly appreciated.

Big Improvment

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I will agree that there was exposition, but it was that overt. Since S1 is no longer available these expositions are necessary to get new player up to speed. So maybe I’m giving it a bit more leeway under the assumption that we’ll be seeing less of it in the future.

Something is wrong when you need to repeat so much exposition (in addition to the paper thin plot recaps that were used to market season two). We’ve been ground through recap exposition dumps since as early as marionette (with the story instance in Lion’s Arch). A Study in Scarlet was a very heavy exposition dump (people enjoyed it because it was the first time much of the story made sense – ideally most of that information would have been explorable up till that point). Until then, events had come and gone without enough information to make conclusions (we had to be handed them via forced agency).

Some of the exposition in the latest release isn’t covering old topics, it’s covering new topics. Scarlet’s room introduces Snaff’s study in minds and magic, there is mention of ley lines in the mine (also mentioned by NPCs but I haven’t been able to find it in Dry Top – maybe it’s in an unreleased part of the map) and a few other things. I don’t strictly have a problem with exploring a room to learn things and I suspect this room is setting up background lore that will become relevant as the season progresses (nothing in that room was accidental or incidental) but rarely do I explore the world to get these plot points. Ley lines came out of nowhere last year and suddenly all these characters act like it was a known thing (were they ever mentioned, even once prior to Living Story?) and we’ve only ever seen one of them. If we weren’t constantly told about them via exposition text, would we even know about them? In the story they are important, but physically in Tyria you wouldn’t even know they existed.

So far GW2 has been bad at marrying story delivery with gameplay.

I feel a bit differently about the banter. My favourite piece of dialog is where Tiami walk behind Rox and get’kitten (or almost hit) by her tail. For me the Banter helps to flesh out the characters, provide them some depth. In S1 I felt that there wasn’t enough character building, most of the dialog was purely in service to the overall narrative and at times the biconics felt a bit shallow.
I will admit the inability for me to be able to skip past the dialog at times was sorely missed (especially when my connection dropped out and I had to replay an instance and listen to the same dialog not 5 minutes later) but overall I liked it.
Maybe however ANet can look into a way of allowing player to skip it in some way. Although based on current game mechanics I’m not sure how or even if it could… the conversation system from the personal story for example allowed you to skip over some of the dialog but it’s no longer being used. ANet could put more of the dialog into the 3D Animated cutscenes and allows us to skip over some of the dialog that way but I’m not sure if the game can do that.

Part of the risk with that is I am interested in the story about Aerin, the Master of Peace, Glint, Mordremoth and Maguuma (passively interested in Scarlet) and I don’t want to miss it. I wouldn’t be able to skip biconic banter for risk on _something_they say being relevant to the overall plot. Usually it’s not, usually it’s servicing their own personal stories and relationships and it exists in competition with the main plot, but sometimes they do say something important.

- Having the NPC’s do interesting player-like things (mesmer blink & portal, yay!) instead of being a dialogue-reader and random useless body. It takes away some of the sting of them being the ‘heroes’ of the story while we do all the work.

True, having them do stuff other than provide dialog and some dps in encounters was a nice touch.

I would have preferred to actually use the wind and lightning aspects myself. The constant inclusion of NPCs replaced what would have been gameplay elements. It began to feel like a story book where you aren’t playing a game so much as walking through scripted events in an interactive story.