Caithe: the Living Caladbolg

in Living World

Posted by: Eirdyne.9843

Eirdyne.9843

Caithe is terrible. No, not the person. The NPC combat abilities are TERRIBLE. Whoever claimed to you they beta tested this lied.

As someone who just finished incinerator for my Thief and plays one well in WvW I can honestly say this is the worst Thief skill combination I have ever played. Why did you do this?
- Button 1 Does no damage
- Button 2 Doesn’t go to the target, but through them
- Button 3 Mildly useful till it jumps you into every other creature in the area
- Button 4 What?
- Button 5 Only thing doing damage.
- Button 6 Doesn’t always stealth, barely heals
- Button 7 Dashes forward to evade… when it doesn’t dash in place and doesn’t evade
- Button 8 Clap Traps? Seriously?
- Button 9 Scorpion Wire… takes a deep breath
- Button 10 Ultra-stealth Mode! …except all damaging abilities are… wait, we don’t have any…

I hate Caladbolg in Sylvari Personal Story and this is hundreds of times worse.

- You gave creatures in the instance stuns that interrupt button 3, button 1 does no meaningful damage. At least the ability button 3 represents on a Thief is an evade.

Invisibility, then 5 or 1 works if you aren’t in a crowd of “You can’t stealth” creatures. 3 for dodges is good, but seriously if you are going to do something like this again…

beta test it…I honestly can’t imagine how someone tried this skill combination and thought it was a good idea. Friends and I are swapping out who has to be Caithe.

Story wise, enjoyable. For that, thanks.

in Living World

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

3 on dagger/dagger thief is better than Caithe’s 3… you stay in a tighter spot (evading) and hit more people.

I found her abilities underwhelming as well, especially compared to my own thief. No wonder they lost to Kralkatorikk. It had nothing to do with Thackery running to save his queen, he saw Caithe’s fighting skills and figured he’d die if he stayed. Don’t give me the ’she’s only 2 in this’ excuse either. She was obviously confident enough in her abilities to go raid an inquest base and not even hesitate that she and Faolin might actually end up just like the second born.

(edited by Kentaine.4692)

in Living World

Posted by: jdmThor.3806

jdmThor.3806

from my experience playing caithe:

- button 1: i think you may be right about the damage. i initially thought the enemies in the instance were made more resilient on purpose but some people have mentioned doing a lot more damage to them using their own characters. perhaps backstab damage was kitten on purpose because it’s so easy to do it.

- button 2 is a leap skill, much like the ranger sword skill. it’s not meant to be like heartseeker.

- button 3 always goes in the same triangular pattern. you just have to ‘aim’ it properly.

- button 6 is not meant to stealth at all. it’s very much like thief’s withdraw skill.

-button 7 i never encountered this bug you mentioned. it always worked for me.

in Living World

jdmThor.3806

oh yeah, button 4 is an OP version of dancing dagger because it immobilizes instead of cripples.

in Living World

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

If you use Button one on an enemy that is not facing you, it stuns.

Who else gets a stunning auto attack?

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Living World

Posted by: Verificus.4320

Verificus.4320

I don’t know what instance you have been playing but it can’t be the same one as I did.
When I was fighting the centaurs I could completely decimate all of them at once without going down or needing to heal by simply using my nose to touch my keyboard. Only time I needed heals was against the boss but that was more becuz I failed to dodge some of the aoe he put out.

I’m not sure if Caithe scales with the player stats. I think it does though since a friend of my claimed his condition damage applied to Caithe’s skills. Where you doing the instance on a Berserker or similar type character? If no, then maybe that is the reason you experienced low damage. The point of button 1 is to go into prolonged stealth mode first and then proceed to 2-3 shot as many targets as you can in the short time you are stealthed. Number 2 skill could nearly 1-shot non veterans, number 3 was nice filler to put in to the ‘rotation’ while waiting for the rest to come off cooldown. I wouldn’t mind playing as Caithe again or have some of her skills added to my own thief’s kitten nal. Playing as Caithe was one of the few things that didn’t annoy me in this episode..

in Living World

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

Really? That Elite is… you saw the cooldown, right? And the fact that you stay in stealth mode when you attack?

Use that, then use #1 to teleport to a single target and backstab the crap out of it over and over, or use #5 to go blender mode on groups. While it’s recharging, use your other skills to evade and reflect any attacks headed your way. If all else fails, throw caltrops and run away.

Caithe is OP.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

The major problem is getting used to using them, which is usually always the big issue with transforms being used on the player. Personally, if Caithe was this powerful years ago, I’m curious as to why she needed our help at all though the earlier parts of the game…It just annoys me more that she sucks so much as an NPC.

in Living World

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

The major problem is getting used to using them, which is usually always the big issue with transforms being used on the player. Personally, if Caithe was this powerful years ago, I’m curious as to why she needed our help at all though the earlier parts of the game…It just annoys me more that she sucks so much as an NPC.

Because it wouldn’t be much of a game if the NPCs were as OP as lore paints them to be O_o

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

in Living World

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

Skill 1 is utterly broken good, especially single target.

Damage isn’t amazing, but most of the attacks have a small cleave, and the third attack (let me emphasize this) is a guaranteed stun that seems to work through defiance. It doesn’t require a back facing like someone else said, it just petrifies them.

This is most noticible on the golem if you screw up in the second room, but it also works perfectly on frapp or frupp or whatever his name is. If you get him in a place where he can’t jump away, you just autoattack him to death.

Also, #2 works like the old FGS 4. If you do it into a corner it hits multiple times for massive damage.

The moves are different, but they’re exceptionally strong compared to their equivalents (except for 3, 3 is kind of weak).

in Living World

jdmThor.3806

Skill 1 is utterly broken good, especially single target.

Damage isn’t amazing, but most of the attacks have a small cleave, and the third attack (let me emphasize this) is a guaranteed stun that seems to work through defiance. It doesn’t require a back facing like someone else said, it just petrifies them.

This is most noticible on the golem if you screw up in the second room, but it also works perfectly on frapp or frupp or whatever his name is. If you get him in a place where he can’t jump away, you just autoattack him to death.

Also, #2 works like the old FGS 4. If you do it into a corner it hits multiple times for massive damage.

The moves are different, but they’re exceptionally strong compared to their equivalents (except for 3, 3 is kind of weak).

oh yeah #2 does work like fgs #4

in Living World

Posted by: Eirdyne.9843

Eirdyne.9843

Hi all. Thanks for all the tips and pointers! It definitely helped some. I should have checked to see if my health / armor was affected depending on the class I played too, but it’s over now. That’s all that matters!

in Living World

Posted by: Andovar Edoras.2143

Andovar Edoras.2143

That’s crazy ._. When i played Caithe in the new story, i just hoped our normal thieves could have such awesome (but op) skills as well…. Oh and i have heard that your own gear affects the damage done by Caithe.

in Living World

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

I still want to know how she goes from OP super young one to the world of suck in the original Personal Story we go through. At least she’s not like Logan "down for the count" bad, but still.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in Living World

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

I still want to know how she goes from OP super young one to the world of suck in the original Personal Story we go through. At least she’s not like Logan “down for the count” bad, but still.

That one’s easy though, my memory tells me that in the earlier betas the Destiny’s Edge people would basically carry you through story dungeons. They were weakened for game balance reasons so players had at least some level of actual challenge, no matter how little.

That being said, the new kids are much more effective. Having Braham face tank the mordrem troll in the labyrinth is weirdly satisfying for me.

Edit: So gameplay trumped story is my point :p

in Living World

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

Having a thief as main toon, and seeing how utterly amazing Caithe skills were when I played her, it made me wish for one thing : having weapon skills evolve.
Like making them evolve after lvl80 with maybe special boss monsters or with long uses or whatever…

Like for example 3 on dual daggers (for thieves) could evolve into Caithe’s one. And it would be possible for every job weapon skills. The cherry on the top of the cake would be being able to choose between different path of evolution for one skill…
Of course all of this would be disabled in pvp or wvw if the balancing gets too troublesome.
(come to think of it, I think I’ve read somewhere someone having that same idea a long time ago)

And of course it’s just me wishing out loud because having to experience Caithe’s OP skill bar made me drool madly.

(edited by Tabootrinket.2631)

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Caithe suffers from a common disease that afflicts plot NPCs. When alone, they have super-powered awesome skills, but as soon as they accompany the player/join the party, they instantly forget how to use these skills.

For a GW1 example, see Keiran Thackeray.

in Living World

Posted by: Bri.8354

Bri.8354

What did you expect, them to give you a god mode skill set? The skills work fine for the instances they gave us. It also allows for some strategies that are fairly strong.

The best use I’ve found is with a hit-and-run strategy. All the cooldowns are low and it has a ton of evades and movement, allowing you to LoS enemies, use invisibility, drop caltrops, against single targets use 2 against the wall for 6+ hits and 30+ seconds of poison or 5 for group damage, follow up with 3 once invisibility ends, then evade away once your health gets low.

The evades and caltrops are also great against the centaur boss. Dropping a caltops on the centaur boss deals with the elementals pretty well and lasts long enough to take down a boss phase too if you’re also attacking. With all the evades you never have to worry about running out of dodges, and that’s a good thing because those wind walls hurt.

in Living World

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

it made me wish for one thing : having weapon skills evolve.

Congratulations! Your CAITHE evolved into CAITHE-SITH!

FF materia AND lightsabers all around! Okay, maaaybe not.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in Living World

Posted by: Dinas Dragonbane.2978

Dinas Dragonbane.2978

Yeah I found the majority of her skills super powerful for the tasks you use them for.
Skill 1-Basilisk Strike on the 3rd hit is a guaranteed petrify, gg
Skill 2-Line attack that also inflicts poison
Skill 3-Good damage projectile REFLECTION
Skill 4-Doesn’t really shine unless you use it to keep them in your caltrops
Skill 5-Stronger version of warrior Whirling Axe
Skill 6-Withdraw(nothin new here)
Skill 7-Very useful for non combat movement
Skill 8-Caltrops with torment? YESSSSSS
Skill 9-Normal scorpion wire, good interrupt or use to pull into caltrops
Skill 0-Stealth without worrying about Revealed, plus a spammable backstab

Caithe has enough aoe attacks(2, 3, 4, 5, that she can deal with multiple targets if you blow the stealth mechanic, just group ’em up on a corner and kill ’em all. The centaurs are a little bit tougher but no big deal with skills like these

Dinas Dragonbane, the Danger Ranger
Tri-Lead of Ascension [WAR] of Borlis Pass