Nochtli duel in drytop and ranger pets

in Living World

Posted by: Criminal.5627

Criminal.5627

so ranger pets dont do dmg to nochtli at all, they come up as 0 dmg they can however apply conditions if they have them but otherwise don’t help in the encounter. is this a bug since ranger pets are a significant % of the ranger’s base dmg?

Giant spiders of the world are just misunderstood creatures, they love to snuggle too.

in Living World

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

so ranger pets dont do dmg to nochtli at all, they come up as 0 dmg they can however apply conditions if they have them but otherwise don’t help in the encounter. is this a bug since ranger pets are a significant % of the ranger’s base dmg?

Same with Mesmer Phantasms.

My guess is they are disabled because they can’t be knocked off, meaning you could hang down and let the pets do the work without fear of them being knocked out of the fight.

it’s unfortunate but I think there’s some reason behind it.

in Living World

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Yeah I think Jerus has hit the nail on the head, their damage is reduced to 0 because they cannot be knocked off an area and that would be exploitable.

That being said, I personally just sat on the outer ring waiting until everyone else got Nochtli’s damage down, then I jumped up at the last moment and did some damage and got credit for the not falling off achievement… So they may as well just let pets inflict damage because it’s not like you can’t work around it anyway xD.

in Living World

Criminal.5627

I hope that’s not the case, rangers cant change builds to make up for the lower dmg multipliers on our weapon skills because of the fact that we have permanent pets… its almost like they like making mechanics that hinders rangers for the pet not being able to perform/live under given situations.

Giant spiders of the world are just misunderstood creatures, they love to snuggle too.

in Living World

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Yeah, ask mesmers…there are phantasms on every one of our weapons I think, and they do greatly contribute to our damage >_> I’ve only been to Dry Tops on my Necro though – has anyone tested whether Mind Wrack still deals damage?

Polka will never die

in Living World

Jerus.4350

It’d be nice of both mesmer and ranger got some traits that let them shed the pet focus and be a bit more offensive.

Sure mesmer could have shatter for situations where pets don’t live long, but those aren’t the problem areas. The problem is trash that dies before your illusion can even be cast yet alone exploded. I’ve done this countless times where I cast the warden hoping for it to start spinning (once it starts it’ll do the full spin before disappearing) but the mob dies too fast and the warden just doesn’t do anything. So I’ve wasted time.

In the end I’m stuck doing like half damage for those situations as a mesmer, it sucks.

Ranger has similar issues when it’s pets are being downed faster than you can swap them so you’re stuck with time where that damage just isn’t there.

THen of course these situations…

In the end a traitline would be wonderful.

in Living World

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

or just let the pet/phantasms be able to be knocked off and can’t get back up? I’ve seen my clones be kb’ed before.

in Living World

Jerus.4350

or just let the pet/phantasms be able to be knocked off and can’t get back up? I’ve seen my clones be kb’ed before.

It’s a built in mechanic more for us vs NPCs than anything. If we could knock NPCs off of cliffs… yeah… it’d be exploitable. So I’d imagine it’s something hard coded in for NPCs and creating an exception for pets would be strange and possibly a lot of work.

in Living World

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I understand to a certain degree WHY pets can’t do damage. Keep people from cheesing the achievement and whatnot. That doesn’t make it any less of a slap in the face to Rangers who rely on their pets for a portion of their damage, though. And as someone mentioned, there are other ways to cheese it anyway (namely letting other players do most of the fight then jumping in at the last minute). Plus, its not like there’s a “safe spot” where you can stand and not have to dodge anything, the only safe spot is off the top of the rock and if you go down there you’ve already lost the achievement. Not to mention I doubt any pet alone could actually kill her in the time limit anyway.

All in all, I think it was a poorly thought-out limitation. It doesn’t really serve to accomplish anything but make the challenge unfair for Rangers (and to a degree Mesmers).

in Living World

Jerus.4350

Why “and to a degree mesmers” you realize mesmers is as much if not more heavily pet damage right? Yet still doable solo by a mesmer

in Living World

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

Wait, wait, wait. Hang on.

Let me set something straight. My ranger is perfectly capable of soloing frogface. In fact, it’s easiest on my ranger.

Why?

No dropped combat. If you stand in the right place, even if she knocks you off the platform, you’ll just land on the platform below and can jump up. But your pet stays up there, fighting her, even doing 0 damage. This means that frog NEVER leaves combat, which means she won’t start healing up if you slip up and fall off. Any other class? Nope. She’ll drop from combat and start healing up.

Ranger might not be the fastest class, but it’s the safest.

in Living World

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

The safest is having a thief spam blind on the npc

in Living World

Criminal.5627

Let me set something straight. My ranger is perfectly capable of soloing frogface. In fact, it’s easiest on my ranger.

Why?

No dropped combat. If you stand in the right place, even if she knocks you off the platform, you’ll just land on the platform below and can jump up. But your pet stays up there, fighting her, even doing 0 damage. This means that frog NEVER leaves combat, which means she won’t start healing up if you slip up and fall off. Any other class? Nope. She’ll drop from combat and start healing up.

If you get knocked off the platform, even if the pet is still fighting, you already lost the achievement. So no it is not easier. This is not a question of being able to kill her, this is getting the achievement done without taking the longest amount of time to do it solo, having to avoid being knocked off the top compared to classes that don’t have their damage output affected. Those clases have a much smaller window of error making it easier to do the achievement legetimently because they have much better damage to burn her health down. Who cares about keeping her in combat if it is much harder for your class to compete with other classes for a reward.

in Living World

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

This doesn’t work anymore, or so I’ve heard from reports.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Living World

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

This doesn’t work anymore, or so I’ve heard from reports.

I’ve had no issue spamming blind on my ele, but she does attack faster than most blind pulses, unless you’re really precise, best to not rely on just one defense.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Living World

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

Why?

If you get knocked off the platform, even if the pet is still fighting, you already lost the achievement. So no it is not easier. This is not a question of being able to kill her, this is getting the achievement done without taking the longest amount of time to do it solo, having to avoid being knocked off the top compared to classes that don’t have their damage output affected. Those clases have a much smaller window of error making it easier to do the achievement legetimently because they have much better damage to burn her health down. Who cares about keeping her in combat if it is much harder for your class to compete with other classes for a reward.

I’ve beaten her easily and quickly on my ranger without getting knocked off too. She has a set pattern that rangers can easily avoid by paying attention.

If it’s taking you so long, maybe you should double-check your build and gear.

in Living World

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Just make sure your traits aren’t pet-focused, equip pets that do a lot of condition damage (birds could be useful for blind and bleeding) and all you’re losing is a little bit of damage.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Living World

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

The ranger’s class mechanic shows how bad it is once again.

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

The ranger’s class mechanic shows how bad it is once again.

This is a case of the designers making it bad, not the mechanic itself. The game keeps finding new ways to make pets bad.

in Living World

Posted by: Laurelinde.4395

Laurelinde.4395

Yeah I think Jerus has hit the nail on the head, their damage is reduced to 0 because they cannot be knocked off an area and that would be exploitable.

That being said, I personally just sat on the outer ring waiting until everyone else got Nochtli’s damage down, then I jumped up at the last moment and did some damage and got credit for the not falling off achievement… So they may as well just let pets inflict damage because it’s not like you can’t work around it anyway xD.

I am pretty sure I got that achievement just by being in the area near Nochtli on the ground, I never even hit her at all. It was quite a surprise! I can’t say with 100% certainty that my pet wasn’t up there but as far as I know she was with me, so who knows.

Laurelinde & Cookie/Beorna Bearheart
[TWG] – Gunnar’s Hold
Always remember Wheaton’s Law