Taimi's actions in the ending were a stretch

in Living World

Posted by: Ascimator.6735

Ascimator.6735

I mean, sure, she was a little bit too fascinated by Scarlet’s work, but she’s an Asura child, an especially smart one at that, and she just charges into the machine that drove Scarlet mad and she KNEW it? Did she skip her safety classes? It seems like nothing more that a hook to make the PC enter as well.

in Living World

Posted by: Dunan Atreides.5436

Dunan Atreides.5436

smart != wise

The first time we got introduced to her she was at the marionette, not exactly a safe place for kids, so this isn’t really setting a new precedent.

in Living World

Posted by: Stormleaf.1769

Stormleaf.1769

She’s a member of the race that raises itself to be as hilariously arrogant and overconfident as possible. It would be a “stretch” for her to care about safety at all.

in Living World

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

Na, I think she’s been pretty constantly reckless. She’s book smart and creative. That doesn’t mean she’s wise enough to make good decisions. I know people who are very very smart straight A students but always make bad decision regarding their own personal safety and health so it’s not necessarily unrealistic.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

in Living World

Posted by: Ryan.2758

Ryan.2758

You need to understand two things. First, she is obsessed with Scarlet beyond reason. This is the same Tiami who wanted to personally become Scarlets assistant, even despite the extreme danger that position would put her in. She was obsessed with Scarlet in any way, and Omadd’s machine was a direct piece of her history that made Scarlet who she was.

And secondly. The eternal alchemy is the biggest Asuran problem in existence. It is literally their entire purpose to decipher even a small part of its workings. Can you imagine having a machine with literally all the answers to your entire race’s biggest question right in front of you, and only the threat of madness to stop you?

Its really not a stretch at all.

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

She’s a member of the race that raises itself to be as hilariously arrogant and overconfident as possible. It would be a “stretch” for her to care about safety at all.

Ah! You beat me to it!

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

Did she skip her safety classes?

Wow, you really don’t know the asura at all… Have you seen their experiments? Most of them go wrong in some fashion, and it requires heroes to slaughter something. Besides, if they cared about their safety, half of their greatest inventions wouldn’t exist (like the parachute).

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Nearly anyone who has been a parent, a teacher, a coach, or anyone who works regularly with lots of different kids has seen exactly the behavior described by the OP. “Oh, I know Johnny hurt himself doing a cannonball off the high dive board, but that won’t happen to me, because …”

It’s got nothing to do with being Asura (or even a child); it has everything to do with unwarranted or excessive self-confidence.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Living World

Posted by: Nanashi.6297

Nanashi.6297

^this

and I don’t even think they don’t care about safety. They just take the risk for the sake of more knowledge.

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Did she skip her safety classes?

Wow, you really don’t know the asura at all… Have you seen their experiments? Most of them go wrong in some fashion, and it requires heroes to slaughter something. Besides, if they cared about their safety, half of their greatest inventions wouldn’t exist (like the parachute).

It’s actually in the Personal Story for an asura. Asura are driven to succeed but they still value safety. Asura that don’t tend to fall into Inquest territory.

Zojja actually scolds the PC asura for not considering the consequences of his/her actions in steam creature path.

in Living World

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Actually, I completely expected Taimi to do something foolish, because she knows shes smart, and she is a little fearless. A teenager that may have a disability, but has something to prove.
If the writers had made this scene and written Taimi to be meek or hesitant, I would have said they dropped the ball. It worked to get the PC into the machine and she got the thrill of a brush with her idol, Scarlet. Win-win.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

in Living World

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

Did you pay attention to the rest of the dialogue?

“Besides, my mind is far more resilient than Scarlet’s was.”

The last thing she says before leaping into the machine.

How is it a stretch for her to leap in heedless of danger when she clearly doesn’t think there is any danger?

in Living World

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Every day I run the Ascalonian Catacombs dungeon.

And every day I have an Asuran asking me if I can taste colors – no, wait, nevermind, be proud I have furthered the bounds of SCIENCE.

Nope, I don’t think what Taimi did was a stretch at all.

in Living World

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I mean, sure, she was a little bit too fascinated by Scarlet’s work, but she’s an Asura child, an especially smart one at that, and she just charges into the machine that drove Scarlet mad and she KNEW it? Did she skip her safety classes? It seems like nothing more that a hook to make the PC enter as well.

You honestly have no idea what Asura are like if you think she even saw danger there.

1. Asura have a superiority complex, a MASSIVE one.

2. Taimi says on multiple occasions that “Had Scarlet been Asura, she would have been fine” or something like that.

3. The machine was designed to see into the Eternal Alchemy itself, something every Asura dreams of being able to see and study. Of COURSE she’s gonna want to jump in.

In short, she saw no danger. It’s completely in-character. She’s a prodigy, but she’s also still young.

Also, is it just me, or are people grasping at straws for things to complain about with this story lately?

(edited by Celestina.2894)

in Living World

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Not to mention the whole “this defense system has a greater percent chance of killing us than not, but I did it anyway, I kinda lied about the percentages” bit in the same episode.

It’s pretty consistant with Taimi’s character. She believes that her plans will always work, and that she could really just take whatever happenned in the machine… because she’s Taimi! One thing she’s never really exhibited is a rational fear of anything, and as soon as we saw it I KNEW she’d be going for it if nobody stopped her.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Living World

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

I could say that she’s Asura.

They’re driven by culture that drives them to be quite reckless, especially those who have higher aims for their lives.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

in Living World

Posted by: Raziel.4216

Raziel.4216

Young teenagers have a rather particular magical thought proccess, they consider themselves the exeption to w/e rules have been established.

“I know u can hurt yourself doing that, that could happen to anyone but me” e.g. I’ll go play that sport without taking safety precautions because nothing will happen to me.
“I know that’s a bad thing, but it’ll be ok if I use it”

It’s a part of growing up so it’s not a stretch, it’s expected.

If Legend of Zelda came out tomorrow, the usual
forum dwellers would go nuts about the need to
“grind” to get exp, new swords, new potions etc

in Living World

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

she’s a child. she might be smart, but she’s a child. children have an acute disregard for safety because they live the illusion of immortality. especially an asura child that thinks she’s a know-it-all, best of the world (and gets treated as such by her peers)

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Living World

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Entirely within character. She was always going to cause trouble somewhere and somehow with Scarlet’s junk. It just happened sooner than later.

in Living World

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

She’s clearly reckless, and that’s a trait which is independent of her intelligence. Since her introduction, she has been happy to dive into danger to reach what ever interests her. And now, with these new releases, she flips switches and starts things that have 50%+ chances of killing her/us without much care.

Some people have mentioned her being a child, making her have a disregard for safety do to delusions of grandeur.
You can also look at the flip side for motive: she has a potent degenerative disease. It’s entirely possible that she simply values the pursuit of her research more then she values her crippled life, which is subject to ending suddenly due to disease anyways.

in Living World

Posted by: Soinetwa.5193

Soinetwa.5193

ive seem it more like
eternal alchemy…
i see the risk but eternal alchemy…
i want to kitten see hear feel the eternal alchemy!!!

yikes
kitten you kittening PC let me see the kittening eternal alchemy >_<

asurans do have a sense for safety
its just that they mostly prioritice it less than other races do
to raise the effectiveness i destabilize the golem core.. gadd gw1… (or something alike)

and the eternal alchemy is such a great thing.. its pretty much like it would be for a human to have a little chat with god
the risk cant be as big as the result stepping into the chamber will be
i thought the same way as taimi when i heard scarlett has changed the machine

when i saw her jumping into it i got a bit afraid of seeing a new villain rise right be4 my eyes but.. taimi is fine…xD

in Living World

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

A point you all missed is that she dives into the machine right after we say that for HER sake we should smash the thing. She held herself back until then.

She did wait for the rest of the team to show them the most important discovery of her research before jumping in. She respected the others and the Player character most of all enough to hold back, maybe hoping that she could do it with friends, who would be there and help her if there were unforeseen consequences.

Then we come, the responsibility squad, agreeing to Braham’s crude suggestion, making it sound like we are doing it exactly for her sake.

There was no way she would have acted any differently. It would have been out of character. Her self-restraint up to that point was more of a stretch.

I would have liked to talk to her after it all, alas there was no further dialogue. I only hope that the talk will happen later and it will be impactful enough for her character and our PC’s relation to her.

in Living World

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

I would have liked to talk to her after it all, alas there was no further dialogue. I only hope that the talk will happen later and it will be impactful enough for her character and our PC’s relation to her.

I was thinking the same. The moment Braham suggested to smash Omadd’s machine, I was actually feeling sorry for Taimi seeing that she waited for us in anticipation – just so we could smash her dream right in front of her instead of sharing her excitement. And that, after she had so many chances to see the Eternal Alchemy in our absence…

I was expecting her to jump in – and that’s exactly what she did in her desperation. And let’s be honset, every single Asura would have done the same, my character included.

I really hope there will be some options in the future updates enabling us to talk to her about that.

in Living World

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I’d say the more surprising thing is the whole squad not sharpening hatchets (or, at least, preparing a containment option), just in case, after your PC leaves the machine, if you PC happened to be a sylvari.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Living World

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

What the asurans have failed to realize is the answer to the universe and everything has always been 42…. lol

in Living World

Posted by: Ariella Goldstein.3562

Ariella Goldstein.3562

Taimi suffers from a huge case of “teen invincibility syndrome”. We’ve all see it, heck the majority of us probably have been through that phase, the believe we can do stupid stuff and not get hurt/killed or in trouble.

I used to live in the north suburbs of Chicago, and there’s a road called Sheridan Road which follows the curves of Lake Michigan. It’s a popular place for teenagers to go at night and take the turns at the highest speed they can manage. I can’t tell you how many accidents and tickets come out of that one stretch of road, just because of teen invincibility syndrome. That’s Taimi to a tee, and it doesn’t help that she is intelligent and thinks that’s all she needs. She doesn’t understand yet the difference between knowledge and experience.

in Living World

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Taimi suffers from a huge case of “teen invincibility syndrome”. We’ve all see it, heck the majority of us probably have been through that phase, the believe we can do stupid stuff and not get hurt/killed or in trouble.

I used to live in the north suburbs of Chicago, and there’s a road called Sheridan Road which follows the curves of Lake Michigan. It’s a popular place for teenagers to go at night and take the turns at the highest speed they can manage. I can’t tell you how many accidents and tickets come out of that one stretch of road, just because of teen invincibility syndrome. That’s Taimi to a tee, and it doesn’t help that she is intelligent and thinks that’s all she needs. She doesn’t understand yet the difference between knowledge and experience.

Very interesting you say this. It reminded me of an article I had read in National Geographic about the teenage brain. It explains a lot even if it doesn’t make one feel any better about teen behavior…

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/10/teenage-brains/dobbs-text

Teens often value reward over risk and may do risky things in order to achieve that reward. I see Taimi as doing just that. She acknowledges there is a risk but finds the ultimate reward worth taking that risk. I will be interested in following her story as I find her a very interesting character. Asurans have a big ego and she is no different.

in Living World

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

What the asurans have failed to realize is the answer to the universe and everything has always been 42…. lol

there are 7 orbs, 6 of them are dragons.

7×6 = 42.

:|

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Living World

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I would have jumped in so… /shrug.

in Living World

Posted by: Shardelyss.4807

Shardelyss.4807

I think the problem has more to do with the fact that we are chatting with Kasmeer (why her when it should have been Rox, I don’t know but still) and then when we click done – Taimi just rushes in.

What we should have seen was her start to go in after we initiate the chat option with Kasmeer and then TURN on the machine once we finish chatting with Kasmeer. (timing wise this would still have to be fixed as we could easily click click click through dialogue, but I just mean something like this might have been more useful then just seeing Taimi stationary and then RUSHING forward – If I had been Taimi, I’d of snuck in when they were all facing away from me.)

in Living World

Ariella Goldstein.3562

Very interesting you say this. It reminded me of an article I had read in National Geographic about the teenage brain. It explains a lot even if it doesn’t make one feel any better about teen behavior…

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/10/teenage-brains/dobbs-text

Teens often value reward over risk and may do risky things in order to achieve that reward. I see Taimi as doing just that. She acknowledges there is a risk but finds the ultimate reward worth taking that risk. I will be interested in following her story as I find her a very interesting character. Asurans have a big ego and she is no different.

It’s an interesting article. I studied developmental psychology in college, many moons ago, so they were just touching on these subjects.

And you’re right about Taimi. She really does remind me of a teen. And help us, an Asuran teenager at that. Can you think of a worse combination to end up in Scarlet’s lab, or her machine???

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

And help us, an Asuran teenager at that. Can you think of a worse combination to end up in Scarlet’s lab, or her machine???

An Asura Inquest teenager?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Living World

Ariella Goldstein.3562

And help us, an Asuran teenager at that. Can you think of a worse combination to end up in Scarlet’s lab, or her machine???

An Asura Inquest teenager?

This is when i shut off the computer and run screaming into the night… Only to be caught and eaten by the Risen waiting off screen.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

As others have said, she’s Asura. And she’s still a kid. AND she’s obsessed with Scarlet. Plus, seeing the Eternal Alchemy for oneself? That would be like a real life human being offered the chance to meet God in person. It’s not surprising that she did what she did.

What IS surprising is that the PC and none of the Biconics took steps to ensure the kid was properly supervised. :P

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

As others have said, she’s Asura. And she’s still a kid. AND she’s obsessed with Scarlet. Plus, seeing the Eternal Alchemy for oneself? That would be like a real life human being offered the chance to meet God in person. It’s not surprising that she did what she did.

What IS surprising is that the PC and none of the Biconics took steps to ensure the kid was properly supervised. :P

I instinctively moved my character to bar her. I am not an RP’er, but I do remember not appreciating the risks she took earlier with activating Scarlet’s defense systems.

in Living World

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

there are 7 orbs, 6 of them are dragons.

7×6 = 42.

:|

The Eternal Alchemy is nothing but numerology.

in Living World

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

As Zojja said: “if we disqualified every potetially lethal entry, the snaff competition would be a very lonely one”. In short small sacrifices (such as tyria) are acceptable in the name of science!