Teragriff - a step in the right direction

in Living World

Posted by: Bri.8354

Bri.8354

For the most part bosses in this game have been a let down. Their behavior has boiled down to blindly chasing you or being a stationary target, but the behavior of the Mordrem Teragriff was very different. It had scripted behaviors, ran around the map, and wasn’t just something you attacked like a pinata.

Bosses like this are a huge improvement, and if you keep working on it, we could see some amazing boss fights and dungeons, far above that which is currently in game!

in Living World

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

Spamming knockbacs is the right direction? Give me a 1 sec cooldown stability/stunbreaker skill and i will be ok. There has to be a balance in this game, though.

in Living World

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Spamming knockbacs is the right direction? Give me a 1 sec cooldown stability/stunbreaker skill and i will be ok. There has to be a balance in this game, though.

It’s all about the change to the behavior of the boss, it’s not just standing there taking hits or chasing a player, but has some more interesting mechanics. Something most bosses need in the game.

in Living World

Posted by: Jimmy JimBob.2801

Jimmy JimBob.2801

You can do the fight without getting knocked back at all, you just need to find the right spots. You can also dodge/block/stability through the knockbacks as they have a pretty obvious tell. The mechanics are all in place already in the game to deal with these things it just takes a bit of getting used to the way the boss works to manage it. If this is what we’re talking about for future raid/dungeon bosses then that’s perfect imo

in Living World

Manu.6078

Do you guys realise that we don’t talk about 1 vs 1 here, player vs teragriff?
Imagine you and two other adventurers trying to defend a fort. You are a melee player. How do you manage the fight against 2 teragriffs, 2 husks and a trasher in the same time? Every teragriff second attack is a knockback, every second husk attack immobilizes you, in the torment trasher’s pool. If another 3 menders do appear, it’s over. Three steps away, a level 83 husk slinger is waiting to one shoot you.
Every release we have to come back and talk again about profession balance and event scaling.
This map is about zerg against zerg. Play ranged if you want to survive, bearbow paradise.
I’m not complaining about the fights being too hard, but being a tragriff’s ragdoll, or 10 seconds of fear or 15 seconds "love"is pretty much annoying. Why? Because you ran out of dodges and your stunbreaker is on cooldown.
Read the magic word again. Balance.

in Living World

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

A STEP in the right direction. I agree but it’s not a positive statement. It shows how they just drop everything without real commitment to quality all the time.

A barely baked potato is still not a fully baked potato. They set the moves but where is the AI that decides not to blindly/mindlessly spam? Where is the element of zoning? Why is the teragriff completely immune to CC or immobilize/chill/cripple (what kind of lazy design is this)?

Again they released something incomplete and that is not a good thing. Should I add the terrible hit boxes? Seriously it’s not hard to clean that…not hard AT ALL especially with the actual work of building the engine and most functions of the systems already done. It’s so easy it can be done in minutes. Please don’t give some BS on how hard it is, programming isn’t some sort of magic (especially when someone else already made the engine for you).

Next time they order a turkey in a restaurant let’s see how they like a barely cooked one, maybe they’ll get the message then.

Anet – releasing things half done…and never completing it.

(edited by Bread.7516)

in Living World

Posted by: Haaretram.6214

Haaretram.6214

Actually, that is exactly what we talk about here. This thread is about the Mordrem Terragriff boss fought in one of the newest living story instances, which is one terragriff + some weak adds vs one player plus some weak npcs, with the option of bringing up to four more players in your party. If you want to talk about the normal terragriffs in the silverwastes, please find or create another thread, as they are completely off topic here.

On topic, I think the fight turned into a drag near the end. Not all ranged weapons can track fast moving foes very well, especially since the terragriff’s trail absorbs projectiles, so the fight becomes a long period of dodging followed by a window to unload some damage while the teragriff is stopped. But later on, the teragriff stops using it roots move, and switches to a wide AoE that gets stronger the closer you are to it. This makes it harder to take advantage of it being stopped, so the last portion of its health is slowly whittled down long after I have gotten the hang of dodging its attacks. What’s worse, there are skills designed to counter high mobility and create your own opportunity to attack, but the terragriff is flat out immune to all of them. I think the fight would have been greatly helped by a modified defiance system, so that players could create their own burn phases, but not often enough to ignore the rest of the encounter.

in Living World

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Imagine you and two other adventurers trying to defend a fort. You are a melee player. How do you manage the fight against 2 teragriffs, 2 husks and a trasher in the same time? Every teragriff second attack is a knockback, every second husk attack immobilizes you, in the torment trasher’s pool. If another 3 menders do appear, it’s over. Three steps away, a level 83 husk slinger is waiting to one shoot you.

I’m in that scenario more often than not, regardless of how many people are around. Usually a zerg just makes it worse because now everything is upscaled and I’m still usually handling everything.

Being 100% melee isn’t going to be optimal all the time. If you want to take on challenges, you’re going to need to spec accordingly. Bring snares and a condition cleanse for example. Also use the terrain to your advantage. If you’re dealing with multiple teragriffs, funnel them in order to control their charges. You can also stick close to the portals/doors to quickly hop in and out of the fort, effectively dodging any attacks.

You can dodge the husk’s immobilize by simply stepping out of the way. It fires at your predicted location in a straight line.

Should I add the terrible hit boxes?

I’m assuming you’re still complaining about the teragriff’s charge? Notice how there’s a spell effect around it? You’re getting hit by a shock wave.

in Living World

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

I’m assuming you’re still complaining about the teragriff’s charge? Notice how there’s a spell effect around it? You’re getting hit by a shock wave.

Is that a terrible excuse for lazy copy&paste design because no, I wasn’t even within the spell effect.

Not the first time they screwed up like this either (what an understatement). Sorry but mediocrity doesn’t deserve a break.

(edited by Bread.7516)

in Living World

maddoctor.2738

On topic, I think the fight turned into a drag near the end.

If the boss wasn’t bugged and insta-killed melee characters when the npcs said “get in close!” then the fight wouldn’t take so long and those DPS phases would be enough to kill it, without requiring to do any damage during the charge phase.

in Living World

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

For the most part bosses in this game have been a let down. Their behavior has boiled down to blindly chasing you or being a stationary target, but the behavior of the Mordrem Teragriff was very different. It had scripted behaviors, ran around the map, and wasn’t just something you attacked like a pinata.

Bosses like this are a huge improvement, and if you keep working on it, we could see some amazing boss fights and dungeons, far above that which is currently in game!

They need to fix his hitbox though and his bursting roots skill? I don’t know about that, he fires more projectiles than you have dodges and invulns and they will track you to the ends of the earth and you cannot interrupt him because anet thinks interrupts on bosses break their “core” gameplay mechanics of just dodging everything.

If he decides that you’re his target for bursting roots instead of the adept master? You’re going to get downed that’s just all there is to it.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

in Living World

Posted by: Ihrga.8325

Ihrga.8325

OP please tell me your are kidding! Otherwise… well…Dunno what to say. Try more games maybe? Like, ye know, DMC 2-3-4 or smth.

“Bosses” in this game divide into TWO breeds – annoying and boring. Sometimes they mix. And yes – Teragriff is a mix. He is annoyingly predictable and boring on his HP count. Saying as full zerk thief. Run around in circles and shooting the hell out of him was the only one part of it.

Be Polite. Be Efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

in Living World

Manu.6078

Actually, that is exactly what we talk about here. This thread is about the Mordrem Terragriff boss fought in one of the newest living story instances

Sorry , my mistake , I was thinking of Silverwastes regular teragriffs which I maintain my statement. Annoying to solo melee, much harder to fight against two of them, deadly when any other mob interferes.
About the final boss from the living story instance I can say I shot him to death staying in a safe corner, taking zero damage (this happened in the second run, the first one, playing melee was a little bit more complicated). A runner not a static boss, no difference. I chose the easy way, some may say I did not play as intended, doesn’t matter, I cannot say if this design is a step in the right direction.

in Living World

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I don’t think this boss is a step forward in boss design at all. It just rattles off predetermined moves and most of its attacks don’t even target the player, they just blanket the area. As such, it’s hardly even interactive. Just learn its moves and kill it. I prefer my fights to feature opponents that interact with the player.

in Living World

Posted by: Kuldebar.1897

Kuldebar.1897

I don’t mind the “Teragriffs” but they would fit more in TERA than in GW2 because of the skills/abilities/cooldowns.

Perma ragdolled and downed gets really old fast. I think “balance” is the key…the game has to plus up both sides correctly as a whole not just add combat mechanics to the mobs willy-nilly.

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Answer: The thread title is a lie. Teragriffs are a step in the wrong direction.

in Living World

Posted by: Bri.8354

Bri.8354

Geeze guys, I thought I made it pretty clear what I was talking about in the OP.

The boss is far from perfect as many have pointed out, but don’t you feel that its behavior is a step forward from what we have seen in the past? If they continue working on it we could get some really nice boss fights, don’t you think?

in Living World

maddoctor.2738

Answer: The thread title is a lie. Teragriffs are a step in the wrong direction.

Read the OP as well as the title to learn what the thread is about

in Living World

Posted by: Pino.5209

Pino.5209

“Bosses” in this game divide into TWO breeds – annoying and boring. Sometimes they mix. And yes – Teragriff is a mix.

+1 to this
There are hardly any good bosses in the game, very few, but the opinion is pretty much subjective. I like 3xWurm, Volcanic Fractal last boss’ Imbued Shaman, Teq and mmm nothing come up on my head lol.
Mobs wise, i only enjoy fighting ascalon mobs, mainly because they glow lol.
Everything else just plain sucks risen, dredge, inquest, etc, not to mention silverwaste and dry top crap. I don’t have problem killing them running either condi or zerk. They are just mainly agitating. It doesn’t take much to kill them, but the amount of crap these mobs threw out trying to impress you as if they are a big deal just fail bloody short at annoying, risen and dredge are the biggest culprit.

(edited by Pino.5209)

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Read the OP as well as the title to learn what the thread is about

Oh, you’re referring to the boss then? While that was interesting at first, it quickly got more annoying than anything else. So….still a step in the wrong direction.

Of course, the title could’ve said Teragriff Boss to be more specific.

in Living World

Posted by: kyrmana.5679

kyrmana.5679

Teragriffs are the revenge for fgs rushes. And the flight attack of the boss reminded me of that ice dragon from Lunia, complete with snowman circle. Good old times.

in Living World

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

“Bosses” in this game divide into TWO breeds – annoying and boring. Sometimes they mix. And yes – Teragriff is a mix.

+1 to this
There are hardly any good bosses in the game, very few, but the opinion is pretty much subjective. I like 3xWurm, Volcanic Fractal last boss’ Imbued Shaman, Teq and mmm nothing come up on my head lol.
Mobs wise, i only enjoy fighting ascalon mobs, mainly because they glow lol.
Everything else just plain sucks risen, dredge, inquest, etc, not to mention silverwaste and dry top crap. I don’t have problem killing them running either condi or zerk. They are just mainly agitating. It doesn’t take much to kill them, but the amount of crap these mobs threw out trying to impress you as if they are a big deal just fail bloody short at annoying, risen and dredge are the biggest culprit.

The problem with good boss designs and mobs in general is really a problem of the combat system. GW2 chose a strange mixture of “twitch” gameplay, like actively moving out of harms way, and abstract concepts like stability, dodge giving invulnerability frames instead of really being an evasion, autohit on tabbed target, defense buffs instead of active blocking. And these things do not mix well. TERA combat is a far bolder step in the mmorpg genre – sadly, they ruined their game with their One Piece motley crew world design, a lack of variety in builds (not talking about FotM builds and optimal builds, but actual choices) and a really dusty quest system.

in Living World

Posted by: kyrmana.5679

kyrmana.5679

…defense buffs instead of active blocking…

Blocking exists. But a single block+attack doesn’t help much against the multitude of attacks hitting you at the same time and bosses hit multiple times with one attack as well. Warriors shield and guardians heal are more like that but they’re just invulnerability with another name.

in Living World

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

His aoe marks cheat (they say it’s ended, red line), but you still get knocked back way far from the knockback line. Glitch nr 1 from teragriff.

Al his attacks are heat seaking, making only dodges and shadowsteps viable to avoid them. Issue nr 2.

Their attack the spawns unkillable, tracking, heat seeking plants near the ground, follow anybody no matter what, if you are low hp, and they follow you there’s 90% propability you die, no matter how well you play. They even attack stealthed players, and track them. This plants last long, meanwhile teragriff can keep on attacking.

As if the knockback line skill wasn’t enough, Teragriff got a lunge skill that stuns also. Issue nr 3. If 3-5 Teragriff attack at same time, there’s no surviving, (except running away). They put 5 interrupt lines tru each other, and even if you don’t touch one, the, the bigger then visuallly visible aoe field, will still knock you down, making escape hilarously difficult.

Only counter against this mob, is stunlock warrior, and 1500 range, bearbow ranger. Other people can kill them, but will have a very hard time doing it alone, not impossible by any means, but to hard for a ‘no loot at all’ mob.

In the tunnel, the charge skill is op, cause the line makes you think you can stand besides it to avoid it, nope. At some parts in tunnel, wherever you stand, the line will hit you, making positioning as counterplay next to impossible.

I’m all for challenging mobs, but these are a bit over the top.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

in Living World

Posted by: Tango Fro.5942

Tango Fro.5942

Yeah dude! That fight was amazing and i enjoyed it allot~!

in Living World

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

…defense buffs instead of active blocking…

Blocking exists. But a single block+attack doesn’t help much against the multitude of attacks hitting you at the same time and bosses hit multiple times with one attack as well. Warriors shield and guardians heal are more like that but they’re just invulnerability with another name.

In GW2 the best equipment for blocking projectiles is a sword …

in Living World

Posted by: Kuldebar.1897

Kuldebar.1897

Having spent some time now in the Silverwastes map on my level 80 Necromancer, Guardian and Engineer, I can “officially” declare that the mobs in the maps generally p**s me off.

There’s really just a bit too much ragdolling and CC going on for it to be considered fun unless you are into bondage and being treated like a corpse.

If it’s one or two mobs, that pull these cheap tricks, it’s not that big of a deal, but many more than that you might as well getting ready to visit Camp Resolve.