Whats wrong with the Sylvari

in Living World

Posted by: spiritus.7983

spiritus.7983

Every major villain wannabe in gw2 is a sylvari, Canach, Scarlet now another one A… something < already forgot his name as I write here. Seems like Pale Tree is losing his flock

Not to mention that I hope anet is learning something by now, Canach was a miserable fail to portrayal a villian, Scarlet was a mary sue… now lets see this one how they fail him. Apparently this new villian lost his mind too, verry original, we just get rid of the last crazy silvary two months ago. Clearly the grove needs a mental institution in the next patch

Evil, GH -Charr rule.
A Skritt is dumb. A group of Skritt are smart.
A Human is smart. A group of Humans are idiots.

in Living World

Posted by: kingpuza.4835

kingpuza.4835

I think that there is a strong link between the Sylvari and the dragons. They are great foes, and can become allies. Though it seems that Sylvari that embrace the dragon, or the power that they represent/embody go crazy. So it is probably a big plot point. I’m sure there will be other villains this season but it seems this new guy is more a plot point than a season villain. The true villain/story arc probably won’t be revealed for a while, just like season 1.

in Living World

Posted by: Natzo.4019

Natzo.4019

I dare say sylvari were originally the minions of Mordi. But when ventari and Ronan took the seed of the Pale Tree and planted it, they broke the conection. There were hits of sylvari born not from the pale tree in the sylvari personal storyline, along with the soundless. That would explain why they can’t become minions of other dragons, they are “already corrupted”.

in Living World

Posted by: Janderson.4670

Janderson.4670

Not saying I think it’s great how they losing their minds but u can’t blame the pale tree for it…. If a charr soldier goes rogue( and they do from time to time) u don’t take it out on the whole legion. As for them losing their minds well they are letting down one of their only defences by NOT following the pale tree and its dream. So it’s understandable why sylvari can be easy targets. And of course there are the ones that accept the dragons…

in Living World

spiritus.7983

There were hits of sylvari born not from the pale tree in the sylvari personal storyline, along with the soundless.

dont know much about the lore but I’m preaty sure all sylvari come from a tree, no matter if is the pale tree or any other tree that we dont know about. The soundless are sylvary who broke away from any dream no matter if is pale tree dream or nightmare dream (I’m not sure if being a nighmare state have a dream too)

Not saying I think it’s great how they losing their minds but u can’t blame the pale tree for it…. If a charr soldier goes rogue

there is two diferent things, Sylvari are connected, this is how they are build from the start, like Borg from startreck. Except the time whrn they disconnect because their router fail :P
From charrs to dolyaks and every other critter have a mind of their own since embrion state :P

Evil, GH -Charr rule.

(edited by spiritus.7983)

in Living World

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

The real question is what is right with the sylvari. They’re this strange race of “people” who pop up out of nowhere, and we give them homes and jobs without a second thought.

And now they’re everywhere, and we’re not even sure what they are. The sylvari lie to you as soon as you see them: make no mistake, they don’t have genders. They just assume that form to be more readily understood, hiding the grotesque bark and fungus monster that lies underneath that exterior. You may think them normal, but you have to wonder why the elder dragons won’t corrupt the sylvari. Are they conspiring together? WHAT ARE THE SYLVARI HIDING!?

We talk about a few rogue sylvari going insane. But think: do you know any sylvari that wasn’t given over to blind zealotry? They all follow some etchings on a tablet, and the ones that haven’t given over to more modern culture all devolve into sadistic violence or utter madness. What guarantee do we have that the sylvari won’t suddenly turn on us, killing millions in the name of the pale tree? Because they say they won’t? Well guess what: we already know they are lying to us above. That’s not blood that courses through their veins. Its sap. Sap that has had no childhood.

The sylvari are already everywhere. They’re in our cities, in our schools, on our councils, in our armies. They’ve spread everywhere, taking the jobs that used to belong to honest, trustworthy people. People clamor for “equality”, but what is equal about our true, red-blooded children being displaced by barely sentient twigs who’ve had no childhood. No, those “equalists” didn’t think of the children, and this is because Sylvari have no childhood. The syvlari have infiltrated the highest levels of government, spreading their childless influence onto races they can’t possibly understand.

Charr need no gods. Charr 2015!

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in Living World

spiritus.7983

Are they conspiring together? WHAT ARE THE SYLVARI HIDING!?

this ^
I was just about to say we need to block out the sun to kill them all but it hits me. Sylvari EAT MEAT… of other species. In lore the way they defeat the dragons is Slyvari multiply over and over again until they overwhelm the dragons. Did everyone ask wht thowse Slyvari will eat, when they consume all natural resources?

SLYVARI WILL EAT US ALL !!!

Evil, GH -Charr rule.

in Living World

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

They got a salad instead of a brain, what did you expect?

in Living World

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

Every major villain wannabe in gw2 is a sylvari, Canach, Scarlet now another one A… something < already forgot his name as I write here. Seems like Pale Tree is losing his flock…

They’re smoking their fingernails

in Living World

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Every major villain wannabe in gw2 is a sylvari, Canach, Scarlet now another one A… something < already forgot his name as I write here. Seems like Pale Tree is losing his flock

Not to mention that I hope anet is learning something by now, Canach was a miserable fail to portrayal a villian, Scarlet was a mary sue… now lets see this one how they fail him. Apparently this new villian lost his mind too, verry original, we just get rid of the last crazy silvary two months ago. Clearly the grove needs a mental institution in the next patch

You forgot Faolain, Caithe’s lesbian lover, because you know, we need more lesbian love plots! And not exactly a villain, but Trahearne was a major character.

Anet is obsessed with Sylvari. It’s disappointing.

in Living World

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

You forgot Faolain, Caithe’s lesbian lover, because you know, we need more lesbian love plots! And not exactly a villain, but Trahearne was a major character.

Anet is obsessed with Sylvari. It’s disappointing.

Guild Wars 2 is the story of the Sylvari. Of course it is all about the Sylvari. Ever played a Sylvaris personal story? Play a Sylvari, and the story makes sense from the first mission up to Zhaitan.
Play another race, and suddenly, a wild Trahearne appears…

GW: Story of humans
GW2: Story of the Sylvari, with the possibilty to play other races and miss the story…

in Living World

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Every race has it’s bad seeds.

Pun totally intended

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

in Living World

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

They have the most plot lee-way with Sylvari, because they are new. So it is logical that if there is going be a Big Secret associated with some race, it will be with them.

In any case, I’m not sure the Master Of Peace is a Sylvari…

in Living World

Evans.6347

That would be the Master of Peas.
Hahahaha ha ha ha…. I’ll stop now.

in Living World

Posted by: JohnLShannonhouse.1820

JohnLShannonhouse.1820

Every major villain wannabe in gw2 is a sylvari, Canach, Scarlet now another one A…

I have seen villains and plotters in every race. Most enemies so far in LS2 have been Inquest, by the way.

in Living World

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Must be a nitrogen poor diet.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Living World

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

Not eating enough fertilizer.

BTW, did Aerin’s voice change, much like Scarlet’s? Maybe they’re possessed…or have beetle infestations.

in Living World

Posted by: Deim Hunir.8503

Deim Hunir.8503

CRY MORE SALTY TEARS FLESHLINGS AND KEEP WATERING US SALADS.

Maybe the soil lacks minerals lately with the dragons sucking everything up so they go crazy, I don’t know.

in Living World

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

GW: Story of humans
GW2: Story of the Sylvari, with the possibilty to play other races and miss the story…

I’m beginning to believe this parallel when you factor in how Humans came into the scene pre-GW1.
The Gods apparently brought them here to Tyria.
From there they lived and wrecked all sorts of stuff, even pushing the Forgotten into the Crystal Desert.

Now we have this new race come in from mysterious circumstances.
Sure we know that our Sylvari come from this Pale Tree, but where does this Pale Tree come from?

The Human found a seed and planted it, but where was its tree?
Mark my words all of this has come before and will come again.

The Asuran will become the equivalents to the Mursaat.
The Charr become possibly the Seers.
The Norn, maybe the Forgotten.
The Humans, the Jotuns.

Then the Sylvari will take the place of where the Humans were during the next great Dragon Cycle.

The dance is starting again, we’re seeing new players shift where the old ones were.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Living World

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Say what you want, Aerin seems more like a plot staple for something bigger – not necessarily a villain like Scarlet. I have a hunch the Master of Peace is up to something and we may see a human as the main antagonist for Season 2.

I don’t see why not have a little bit of The Pale Tree and Scarlet in the story though. Mursaat, those underwater things I can never the name of, and Seers also have some room for exploitation at some point within the story. The other races, however, have a bit too much lore and background to justify any large magnitude changes.

I think with the Zephyrites and Master of Peace in Season 2, we’ll see a bit more than just some crazy Sylvari.

in Living World

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

Since Aerin gets sent to the compost heap staightaway, I doubt he’s the main villain this time out. More likely a patsy.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

in Living World

Posted by: NinjaChris.9340

NinjaChris.9340

I actually quite like Canach.
He felt dangerous, menacing (at least in the short stories, maybe not the game itself sadly), but not simply evil.

He was a vigilante, trying to do good (free the people the Consortium basically enslaved) but by the wrong means (murder and destruction).
I’m rather disappointed that he seems to have done a complete 180 into a vanilla good guy, but there is still room for AN to turn that around again.

People going mad or becoming corrupted is high school level story telling, but the Sylvari being affected is only logical with Mordremoth awakening.
Scarlet got her load hard and preemptively because of Omadd’s “science device” so now it’s time to see how Mordremoth affects normal Sylvari (Aerin was Soundless but whatever).

Canach could fit into this as well, though I’d hoped they’d save him for another story arch, so his personality and not the fact that he’s a sylvari would be the reason for his involvement.

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

I doubt Mordremoth is directly connected to the sylvari.
Likely, a second Pale Tree is Mordremoth’s champion and is pressing her will on select sylvari.

Remember, when Ceara saw the Eternal Alchemy, she saw the Pale Tree we know, who spoke to her, and a second plant.

in Living World

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

Maybe the soil lacks minerals lately with the dragons sucking everything up so they go crazy, I don’t know.

Might not be far off there at all. Magic could be viewed as an essential mineral of sorts for the Pale Tree (and by extension, her saplings/branches/seeds/whatever).

It’s true in real life as well, no need to bore the forums with that stuff though.

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

in Living World

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

If you read the notes from her Asuran mentor, it wasn’t a race specific issue. Everyone that the Asura hooked up to the machine that merges minds with magic went “crazy.”

in Living World

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

I don’t know about Canach (didn’t play that LS) but Aerin and Scarlet probably aren’t coincidences. Aerin didn’t seem crazy in the last LS (or even soundless since makes reference to pale tree and dream). At least he didn’t seem crazy in the ‘having conversation someone who isn’t there and homicidal’ way, he was just excitable. He also isn’t a major villain. He is already dead.

I’m guessing Mordremoth is either the creator of Sylvari (pale tree is a rouge dragon minion perhaps?) or is just able to corrupt them where Zhaitan could not because they’re plants. If they are going to be introducing him it makes sense to do some plots with the Sylvari going off their rockers. It might also be linked to ley lines and whatever magic the zephyrites had.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

in Living World

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

Glad to see you turning over a new leaf.

in Living World

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

I don’t think the sylvari are inherently evil. Mostly because it would bring up a cubic ton of problems regarding the player-plants.

I guess the sylvari are some kind of magic sponges that absorb certain essences.
Just like they absorbed the essence of Ventari’s human friend when the seed got planted on his grave, therefore giving the sylvari their human appearance.

Mordremoth is a jungle dragon with a plantlike appearance. I assume that he, while not able to directly control sylvari -like the hivemind of Zhaitan does with its minions- can turn them into maniacs with his dragon magic, invading their minds by exploiting their ability to connect on the dream-level.
Probably one of the reasons why there is no Sylvari-NPC alongside of Khasmeer, Delaqua, Rox, Braham and Taimi.

in Living World

Posted by: Lasica.5068

Lasica.5068

You forgot Faolain, Caithe’s lesbian lover, because you know, we need more lesbian love plots!

Yes, yes we do indeed.

I propose that Queen Jennah forgets all about that silly Logan fellow and hooks up with Countess Anise.

Why make sense, when it’s so much more fun to make nonsense?

(edited by Lasica.5068)

in Living World

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Likely, a second Pale Tree is Mordremoth’s champion and is pressing her will on select sylvari.

Remember, when Ceara saw the Eternal Alchemy, she saw the Pale Tree we know, who spoke to her, and a second plant.

What second plant? I don’t remember a second plant.

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

What second plant? I don’t remember a second plant.

If I remember correctly, the second plant was red briars wrapping around the Pale Tree.

in Living World

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

You mean the Scarlet Briars?

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Yes, they were red thorns and that’s where Ceara got her new name – and she even thought she was those red thorns (so caught up in herself she was), though that may be true it may also be an entering into dragon minion hive mind stuff. cough

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

So if the tree people are dragon minions. When we kill
Mordi, will that mean they die? Or if they are revealed to have the potential to be minions will we then wipe them out, all
Of them? I hope so. I hope I get to kill trehurn the. With the rest of the pact behind me I can put on my best Darth Sideous voice and give the order “Wipe them out, all of them.” I know it won’t happen, but I can dream.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Living World

Posted by: Lasica.5068

Lasica.5068

Someone on reddit a day or so ago was talking about a hidden room near the base of the pale tree that had suddenly changed colours to black and red as if it was corrupted. I assume he meant the hidden sauna which you get to via the northern lake, but I haven’t been to check myself yet.

Why make sense, when it’s so much more fun to make nonsense?

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

@BrotherBelial: The risen remained a threat despite Zhaitan’s death, so any “Overgrown” as Mordremoth’s minions seem to be called will remain as well. Same with Icebrood, Destroyers, Branded, and whatever the DSD’s minion will be.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Living World

Evans.6347

Glad to see you turning over a new leaf.

High five!

in Living World

Posted by: Coffietire.2783

Coffietire.2783

The real question is what is right with the sylvari. They’re this strange race of “people” who pop up out of nowhere, and we give them homes and jobs without a second thought.

And now they’re everywhere, and we’re not even sure what they are. The sylvari lie to you as soon as you see them: make no mistake, they don’t have genders. They just assume that form to be more readily understood, hiding the grotesque bark and fungus monster that lies underneath that exterior. You may think them normal, but you have to wonder why the elder dragons won’t corrupt the sylvari. Are they conspiring together? WHAT ARE THE SYLVARI HIDING!?

We talk about a few rogue sylvari going insane. But think: do you know any sylvari that wasn’t given over to blind zealotry? They all follow some etchings on a tablet, and the ones that haven’t given over to more modern culture all devolve into sadistic violence or utter madness. What guarantee do we have that the sylvari won’t suddenly turn on us, killing millions in the name of the pale tree? Because they say they won’t? Well guess what: we already know they are lying to us above. That’s not blood that courses through their veins. Its sap. Sap that has had no childhood.

The sylvari are already everywhere. They’re in our cities, in our schools, on our councils, in our armies. They’ve spread everywhere, taking the jobs that used to belong to honest, trustworthy people. People clamor for “equality”, but what is equal about our true, red-blooded children being displaced by barely sentient twigs who’ve had no childhood. No, those “equalists” didn’t think of the children, and this is because Sylvari have no childhood. The syvlari have infiltrated the highest levels of government, spreading their childless influence onto races they can’t possibly understand.

Long ago, I think Anglo Americans used to say the same thing about African Americans, and Irish Americans, and Chinese Americans, and everyone whose not them…..

in Living World

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

I’m willing to put up with it once we start targeting Primordus or Jormag.

in Living World

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

Canach was never evil, he was like Batman, expect he didn’t just beat people up, he killed some too.

As for Scarlet and Aerin if you paid attention to the story you’ll see that they’re just “the tip of the ice berg”, I’m still not excluding Sylvari as minions regardless of what the permanent residents of the lore forum said, they’d “disprove” beyond reasonable doubt countless times that Scarlet had nothing to do with Dragons or leylines and look how that turned up to them.
And before someone thinks about saying Husks are the minions, Primordus has Trolls, Crabs and Harpies (that didn’t sound good) very different amongst themselves so that’s no reason do discard Sylvari right away.

And by the way, Aerin is dead already so you aren’t going to get to see “how they fail him” but rest a sure, I bet more will come.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

in Living World

spiritus.7983

And by the way, Aerin is dead already .

yea, I catch up with the living story too. Is dead but still gone crazy. Anyway… buzy stockpiling food cans and bottled water for the impending crazy slyvari apocalipse

Evil, GH -Charr rule.

(edited by spiritus.7983)

in Living World

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

That’s a question I’ve been asking myself since launch. They’re so annoying and the game would be so much better without them.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Living World

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

Someone on reddit a day or so ago was talking about a hidden room near the base of the pale tree that had suddenly changed colours to black and red as if it was corrupted. I assume he meant the hidden sauna which you get to via the northern lake, but I haven’t been to check myself yet.

I think I found this sauna, but it doesn’t look corrupted. If we’re talking about the same place it has a small waterfall with what appear to be several young weirwood trees in it.

No faces carved in ’em, though.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

in Living World

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Long ago, I think Anglo Americans used to say the same thing about African Americans, and Irish Americans, and Chinese Americans, and everyone whose not them…..

Not quite. This mock diatribe was a collection of random, assorted paranoia and accusations that I’ve seen attributed to different people, at different times in different ways. The funny thing is, the Anglo American has actually been on the receiving end of a few of these themselves. All in all, I don’t think any ethnicity in history has ever received quite that level of inferiority complex spurred paranoid rage. Except maybe the Jews.

This was inspired by the Berlin campaign expansion in Shadowrun Returns. In it, there’s an extremely racist group who hands out ranting pamphlets much like those above. The hilarity was that they blamed human inferiority on dwarves opening family run stores.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in Living World

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

This was inspired by the Berlin campaign expansion in Shadowrun Returns. In it, there’s an extremely racist group who hands out ranting pamphlets much like those above. The hilarity was that they blamed human inferiority on dwarves opening family run stores.

Lousy Dwarves and them dandelion eaters too lol.
Good to see another Shadowrun fan on the boards.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!