Why arena comments ?

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Ice of Dragons.1637

Ice of Dragons.1637

I didnt saw any arena net comment on our prediction lately or any comment in living world in general. I know they dont wat to spoil the conent but a few hints would be cool or at least jumping in on the discusion.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Next

You never know where you might find cool things. http://guildwars2.tumblr.com/

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Avascar.9237

Avascar.9237

I can just feel one of Mordremoth’s champions is a giant tentacle monster like the Kraken.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Sleazebag.9427

Sleazebag.9427

a tumblr without pictures of guys taking shirtless selfies? what is this

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Drafigo.4690

Drafigo.4690

Tumblr is horrible! IMO but I joined anyway cause its GW2!

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

These are the sort of things we need more of

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Underdark.3726

Underdark.3726

still no atlas update…

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

No we don’t. Anet could just as easily host fan art on these forums.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Sigh….

“Wanna see new pics? Head to tumblr!”
“Want some different news or sales? Head to facebook!”
“Wanna see our new vids? Go to youtube!”
“Don’t forget to Like, subscribe, fav, retweet, hashtag…SOCIAL MEDIAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!”

You have a webpage…you can post everything in one spot to help your players. Please, don’t make me jump around everywhere on the internet (Or i’ll just go to dulfy since it’ll be done for me there >:P)

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Exactly. I never know. I do know, that they are quite often not where i’d expect them – on your own webpage.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Sigh….

“Don’t forget to Like, subscribe, fav, retweet, hashtag…SOCIAL MEDIAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!”

You have a webpage…you can post everything in one spot to help your players. Please, don’t make me jump around everywhere on the internet (Or i’ll just go to dulfy since it’ll be done for me there >:P)

I agree with this.

The Guild Wars 2 Forums should be the go to place for Dev Comments and Communication and info.

This is the place that you created and manage. As soon as you post essential stuff through other social media, it becomes dilluted.

I understand that social media in all its outlets is a powerful promotion tool these days and it would be unwise to not use it from a business kind of view.

But in your official post about your tumblr account (on this website, like it should be) you said:

“Tumblr is going to be your home for Guild Wars 2 fan-created content. We’ll post fan art, videos, cosplay photos, and all sorts of amazing things fans have made to express their love for Guild Wars 2.”

I dont have a problem with GW2 using Tumblr as a tool to collect and redistribute fan generated content.

But the OP asked why there has been no Anet comments about LS2 speculation in the designated subsection of the forum yet.

If Anet doesnt want to comment on speculation, thats fine. I also see the need for you guys to promote your new tumblr account but linking it in this topic makes people assume that Anet now posts comments about future releases on tumblr, which isnt right.

So i think Danicias link is quite displaced in this thread. In fact, if it was from a regular user, i might be inclined to report it for being off topic or promoting unrelated websites (to the topic, not the game).

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Jorvych.3064

Jorvych.3064

I like how most people in this topic are criticizing the Anet speaker for linking them to another site in which they can choose to find things.
That’s like getting mad at a dog because you threw its ball over a fence. Do some digging, it just sounds like you guys are feeling entitled for hints about new, relatively hidden content.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

That’s like getting mad at a dog because you threw its ball over a fence. Do some digging, it just sounds like you guys are feeling entitled for hints about new, relatively hidden content.

No. We’re the dog that gets mad at its owner for throwing the ball into someone else’s yard. Especially, since the owner’s yard is more than big enough to play a nice game a fetch as it is.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No we don’t. Anet could just as easily host fan art on these forums.

And how many people visit here: And how many people visit here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/fangen where ArenaNet does host fan art on this very forum?

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Argghh…forum just won’t cooperate today for me. Please strike the superfluous phrase above^.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Exactly. I never know. I do know, that they are quite often not where i’d expect them – on your own webpage.

At this point fanpages are way better because they collect all those information that arena.net spreads all over the internet.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I like how most people in this topic are criticizing the Anet speaker for linking them to another site in which they can choose to find things.

So you like it when you want to find information about a product, that you don’t find it on their own webpage but instead someone tells you to got to Facebook where you are find a linkk to Twitter, however you don’t understand how twitter works, so you don’t find anything relevant there, but after using google for an hour you finally find out that you need to go to Tumbler or whatever ?

And yes .. thats a little exaggerated .. but believe me i really still don’t understand Twitter .. and i also refuse to learn it since my Name is Roger Murtaugh and I’m getting too old for this kitten

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Sigh….

Quoted for truth.

You have a news blog on your website. If there are new things to be posted about the game from the game it should be here on guildwars2.com.

Not on Twitter
Not on Facebook
Not on Tumblr
Not on Youtube
Not on Pinterest
Not on MySpace
Not on Reddit
Not on Google+
Not on whatever other site you find and go OOoh Shiny

It’s like the communication team are a bunch of skritt and flock to the coolest new shiny they find and leave the main official form of communication dead.

The news blog stuff shows up on our login screen….the thing that anyone logs into the game will see. Why are you hiding things all over the internet?

I do not want a scavenger hunt to find hints, teasers and trailers for game content.

• Host your content on Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.
  • Add a twitter feed box on the main website,
  • Have facebook posts automatically post to the news blog (there are facebook tools that do that),
  • New offical items posted to Tumblr should also crosspost to the official site.

Aggregate your information for us. http://www.guildwars2.com should be the go-to hub for all things Guild Wars 2. Please STOP posting things all over the place.

I will not sign up for any service I am not already using.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: OtakuModeEngage.8679

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Honestly, you have a website; use it! What’s the point otherwise? I understand you need to post in a wide range of social medias to advertise for the game, but it should not come at the cost of forsaking your own site. If you asks any of the player base where to get information about the game, they will answer anything but the offical website; that’s wrong. If you post on twitter, and I know you must, link it here, if you post on facebook, post here too. An offical page that Is not a one stop sourse for the news pertaining to it, is a fail of a page. you have all the tools at your disposition, now all you have to do is use them.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

OtakuModeEngage.8679

At the very least link your twitter, facebook, and tumbler pages to the official site, like you did with the wiki, so then even if we must go to another site, you have provided ease of access to finding this information.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

No, more like the dog wants the ball.
So the owner could throw it in the yard (the main site).
However the owner decides to tuck it away in a nearby garden (twitter).
Maybe put it on the other side of the fence (facebook).
Or throws it over to a nearby dog park (tumblr).
Or inside the nice tool shed no one uses (the Atlas page they have).
Finally the owner also has a hidden spot inside the dog’s own doghouse (youtube).

I understand that social media is important, but spreading out the information should always point back to this site for the full story.

Apparently it seems to be the opposite effect here: go see a link in the main website, but for the actual content go to one of the forty other sites we’re linked with.

Like so many others I scratched my head when the announcement for tumblr came up.
Yeah great you can show off your videos, images, and even allow fan art.

How’s that different from your media section of this page, the Atlas, and the fan art section of the forums?

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: BobbyStein

Previous

BobbyStein

Guild Wars 2 Narrative Lead

Next

I didnt saw any arena net comment on our prediction lately or any comment in living world in general. I know they dont wat to spoil the conent but a few hints would be cool or at least jumping in on the discusion.

We’re pretty sensitive to giving away story spoilers, which is why I don’t often comment on Living World release speculation.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Sigh….

Exactly.

I come to GW2 website for info, content, promotions, links to articles and such, and I check Dev Tracker daily because I love creating things just as much as analyzing and discussing really beautiful things others managed to create.

However, it’s usually some good soul who cared to post a link to some interesting official site stuff which I manage to stumble upon in a weird corner of the forum, and not the GW2 team who delivers me the content which would keep me happy as a client (and willing to support you with money).

As a creator myself, I despise social networks for a particular reason, which is: they’re mainly a bunch of folks who want to become famous by stealing reposting other people’s works which were once uploaded to the perspective author’s websites. It is really a nice idea to repost content links in social media so that people who use it get a bridge, but forcing it to players is wrong.

I’ve seen a game with Facebook and Twitter integrated into the UI of a medieval-themed fantasy world… and I would never want to see it in GW2, please. The best advertising you can get from me is a direct word-of-mouth “Hey friend, just buy these game, it’s awesome and doesn’t suffer from X, Y and Z!” – which would happen when I see the game is awesome and doesn’t suffer from, say, P2W, infinite gear progression and integrated social networking.

20 level 80s and counting.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

We’re pretty sensitive to giving away story spoilers, which is why I don’t often comment on Living World release speculation.

Ok … not story then … what is your most favourite monster that we will encounter, just by the looks. Does it have feathers? Scales? Two, three, four legs or more? A sound clip of it’s attack maybe?

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Ok … not story then … what is your most favourite monster that we will encounter, just by the looks. Does it have feathers? Scales? Two, three, four legs or more? A sound clip of it’s attack maybe?

In addition, please tell us if that tumbleweed is the next world boss?

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

So sensitive, you refused to give out information in the actual living story itself. Yet we figured everything out anyways. Perhaps this monomaniacal focus on “spoilers” is misplaced?

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

So sensitive, you refused to give out information in the actual living story itself. Yet we figured everything out anyways. Perhaps this monomaniacal focus on “spoilers” is misplaced?

That is exactly what he said, you just rephrased it for some odd reason. He doesn’t want to ruin anything, which will happen by getting involved whether by accidentally given away too much or by forcing the discussion into a specific path and destroying all the creative theories.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Ice of Dragons.1637

This was not meant in any way that you guys should release spoilers. And it was not meant as a bad thing. You guys are making great things and have a great community. But in start season 1 many of the arena net dews discussed more guesses on the forum whiteout spoiling and even jumped on the wrong train whit us just for the sake of the what if debate. I guess i miss that since late season 1. BTW i think season 1 was good and 2 will be great. I am thankful for all the stuff arena net does and for you taking time to write back

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Trolaw.7095

Trolaw.7095

When people asked for a scavenger hunt im not sure this is what we had in mind

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Signed in just to point this out:

One of the absolute largest failures of Anet as a company is communication – and stuff like this is the reason why.

Information isn’t available all in one place – to get an accurate view of what’s going on, you have to peruse the main page, the forums, facebook, twitter, and now tumblr.

Would it be that impossible to have all the information you wish to disseminate to the playerbase be on the frigging guildwars2.com site, and linked from the log-in window?

I’m not saying it’s bad to use the varied social media in addition to the official site – what I’m saying is that the non-official venues should only ever have duplicates of the information available on the main site. Going for a scavenger hunt to find out one little thing is just a PITA.

Most of the time, people I talk to in-game have no clue what’s going on, or coming up, and THIS is why.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

Sigh….

Agreed.

I think it’s pathetic that businesses buy into the new trends to be “cool”, whilst they are actually failing to reach their audience by spreading information across different websites (requiring different log ins/account information).

If they posted ALL information in ALL of these mediums, it wouldn’t be a problem, but when you’re asking people to visit 6 websites for 6 different posts you’re doing it wrong.

@Arena Net.

I have a Facebook account. I don’t “like” your Guild Wars 2 page. I will never “like” your Guild Wars 2 page, because that isn’t what I use Facebook for. I use it to talk to friends, not for businesses to spam junk at me.

I have a YouTube account. I am not subscribed to your Guild Wars 2 channel. I will never be subscribed to your Guild Wars 2 channel. The only businesses I am subscribed to are record labels for metal bands. I will never be subscribed to other businesses.

I don’t have a twitter account. I will never have a twitter account. I’m certainly not going to make a twitter account just for GW2 posts.

I don’t have a tumbler account. I will never have a tumbler account. I’m certainly not going to make a tumbler account just for GW2 posts.

If you want to reach YOUR target audience, then make sure there are posts on YOUR WEBSITE.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

(edited by Realist.5812)

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

While i agree that this site should be the main focus for giving out info, this site itself pretty much feels like a BBS of the 90’s. Anets never really been all that great about communication, even in Guild Wars the only communication you’d get were random interviews and posts on guru on occasion. While i get their focus is on the game, they should probably have some liaisons that communicate on behalf of the various teams, who’s main focus is on player interaction. Gaile Gray did a pretty awesome job in GW, but even then she could only talk about a few things.

Also, i really don’t get why they don’t use a canned forum engine, one that can grab all the various feeds they have floating about and post them back here. Seems like such a waste of time and money to develop a mostly featureless forum system.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

(edited by munkiman.3068)

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Information isn’t available all in one place – to get an accurate view of what’s going on, you have to peruse the main page, the forums, facebook, twitter, and now tumblr.

I think their reason behind it is to get more attention on all those social media sites. That attention translates into more people seeing the product especially people who may not be familiar with the game already. Putting information exclusively on certain media sites “forces” us to go there, maybe even make an account, follow/like/whatever them to get all the infos.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Ice of Dragons.1637

Why did the request for more forum time whit the devs turnend into a anty social media crusade ?

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Why did the request for more forum time whit the devs turnend into a anty social media crusade ?

Because of Danica’s post.

And social media is fine, but cross post it back to the main site

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Twitter is nice when the official website is down

Just had to say something positive.

Btw, I hadn’t seen those two soundclips posted as teaser for us yesterday when I posted here – that was a nice touch!

The tumblr thing is probably a nice idea, especially for the people surfing more with their phone than anything else – I will most likely forget to check things out there.

Having a portal here to these corners might be a nice idea. Honestly, I would make it literally asura portals.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I’m guessing because some people are frustrated by scattered information. I don’t mind it because I’m sure they are just trying to reach different groups of people, however, I do agree that they should have tools on this forum site that bring that information here. I personally only regularly check here for current news, the dulfy site, and the main guildwars2.com site when it has something new.

I’m sure it is quicker and easier for them to use some of the other tools than the forum and website but I think they can probably make the forum site better with feeds coming to it from the other sites.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

That’s how I get, I just have the urge to spoil things, but have to hold back to avoid revealing everything or anything. It’s harder than it looks.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

It’s not necessarily a bad thing that they are using social media. It increases their exposure, which is good.

However, anything “official” should always be posted via their site as well as through all their social media outlets. Thus producing the greatest absorbency of the information across their audience – as person A make look in place A, person B may use options B and D, person C may use only option C, etc etc..

Fan made stuff that they feature, I can see that being limited to whichever outlet they choose to feature it on.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Serophous.9085

It’s not necessarily a bad thing that they are using social media. It increases their exposure, which is good.

However, anything “official” should always be posted via their site as well as through all their social media outlets. Thus producing the greatest absorbency of the information across their audience – as person A make look in place A, person B may use options B and D, person C may use only option C, etc etc..

Fan made stuff that they feature, I can see that being limited to whichever outlet they choose to feature it on.

What others have said and I agree with is, the social media outlets should redirect people TO the gw2 website, not gw2 website directs to social media. Make the announcement of the teaser on social media, or post the pic there, but make sure that pic is on the main website too. I know the post leading to the website was intended to help, but to me and others, it did feel like a slap in the face (I understand the intentions were good though).

Perhaps if Bobby had responded first, AND THEN the link to the pics, it would be a different story, since his response was what this thread was originally intended for. Even a simple “wow guys, great thread. Gives me something to read in the morn with coffee and bagels” would’ve been nice and fun to see. It gives the community closure in that you are still there (and yes, need to make time, ls2, China, etc).

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: BobbyStein

Previous

BobbyStein

Guild Wars 2 Narrative Lead

There are a lot of interesting theories being posted. I don’t want to get in the way of that. Also, the LW team is crazy busy right now so we’ve gone mostly silent on the forums (not officially—it’s more of a lack of free time than anything else). I’ll be really curious to see what people think of episode 1 the day it releases, where they think the season is headed, and how they like the story journal and our scripts, VO, gameplay, etc.

Thanks for expressing your interest in the Living World. Not much longer to wait.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Ice of Dragons.1637

There are a lot of interesting theories being posted. I don’t want to get in the way of that. Also, the LW team is crazy busy right now so we’ve gone mostly silent on the forums (not officially—it’s more of a lack of free time than anything else). I’ll be really curious to see what people think of episode 1 the day it releases, where they think the season is headed, and how they like the story journal and our scripts, VO, gameplay, etc.

Thanks for expressing your interest in the Living World. Not much longer to wait.

Thank you for that i was expecting something like this. Cant wait till release

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Serophous.9085

Ahh…..closure….^^ :p

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Ah, don’t misunderstand, I don’t want spoilors, and I am not asking for them (I know others are), I just feel official anet post should be pasted on the official gw2 website.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

It seems to be the norm now for Game Devs NOT to use their official sites, examples being DICE NEVER posted on the EA Forums, they used Twitter for BF3.

Bioware the same, Blizzard constantly post on Twitter / facebook and hardly on their own places …

Social Engineering has gone out of control when they create sites for their games and never use them themselves !

(also many of the above don’t simply because they do not want to answer to players, rather pretend the criticism does not exist, using Blizz and EA as an example )

• And ANet looking at the Trait thread in General ****

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

It seems to be the norm now for Game Devs NOT to use their official sites, examples being DICE NEVER posted on the EA Forums, they used Twitter for BF3.

Bioware the same, Blizzard constantly post on Twitter / facebook and hardly on their own places …

Social Engineering has gone out of control when they create sites for their games and never use them themselves !

(also many of the above don’t simply because they do not want to answer to players, rather pretend the criticism does not exist, using Blizz and EA as an example )

• And ANet looking at the Trait thread in General ****

It’s a marketing and exposure thing. Sharing and publicity are fundamental parts of social media sites. A picture posted on the main site gets seen by those people who use the main site. The same picture posted on FB get seen by those who follow the game there, and then liked, shared, and spread around where others can see it. The exposure from using Facebook/Twitter/Tumbler/YouTube is exponentially higher than from using the main site alone.

Not defending them or anything. I agree with the general sentiment of this thread. But I also understand why companies are taking this approach.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

they could post but do a copy paste here too. ok i understand trying to get out there but all news and stuff but it should be shared and put out to the faithful who come here on their own site. i think its a mistake by not putting it here too

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Posted by: Eleri Tezhme.3048

Eleri Tezhme.3048

I get that promotion of things on social media is important, but I agree with everyone else- Important Things should go on the main site first, and then out to social media. Social media sites should be supportive marketing, not primary information dissemination.

That being said, the news section of the main page does link out to youtube and soundcloud pretty regularly, and the stuff I’ve seen on FB and G+ tends to be more random discussion or “Look at this nifty fan thing.” “Look, some website mentioned GW2.” or “Here’s a thing we just posted to our site.” rather than news that doesn’t show up here. So there’s less ‘exclusive content’ happening on social media than you might think.

However, I don’t think that teaser pictures/soundbites/video clips count as Important Things, so much as, well, teases, and I think those can go wherever, to be found like little treasures.

Why arena comments ?

in Living World

Ice of Dragons.1637

On a site nothe ther are a few questions on the forum that are not officially awsered that are no spoiler nature. Like if the new content will be 80 only. What will happen to world completion if there will be new maps. Where will the update go online and other non spoiler stuff. Plus there are some people that are asking about things that we are shure wont happen int this pathc like new races.