theory about player made Sylvari

in Living World

Posted by: RavenFlame.1430

RavenFlame.1430

If you make a Sylvari you fight the shadow of the Dragon in the dream the pale tree tells you it means your ment to fight and kill an elder dragon. The dragon in the dream is there because the nightmare are atacking the dream so why is it a dragon? Because the Sylvari are aculy connected to Mordremoth much like the branded and risen are to the dragons that made them. the Sylvari who have acted in ways that helped the dragon were not under the protection of the pale tree and so Mordremoth could very easily control them. the nightmare is most likely a result of Mordremoth corruption. And as such the wild hunt of all player made Sylvari is not to kill Zhaitan but to kill the true enemy of the pale tree Mordremoth

in Living World

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

The Shadow of the Dragon is an example of retcon. Originally it referred to Zhaitan, now it’s either referring to Mordy or just generally to EDs.
The reason you fight the Shadow of the Dragon in the dream is because it’s your Wyld Hunt. The Wyld Hunt is given to Sylvari in the dream. The same way you can also dream about unicorns and knights.

Now I’m not dismissing the possible connection between the Sylvari and Mordy (we simply don’t know at this point).

in Living World

Posted by: Soinetwa.5193

Soinetwa.5193

so about unicorns?..
we havnt seen unicorns so far…
we havnt seen mordremoth so far

OMG mordremoth is in fact a unicorn!!^^

in Living World

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

so about unicorns?..
we havnt seen mordremoth so far

OMG mordremoth is in fact a unicorn!!^^

It’s a conspiracy!

Attachments:

in Living World

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

The Shadow of the Dragon is an example of retcon. Originally it referred to Zhaitan, now it’s either referring to Mordy or just generally to EDs.
The reason you fight the Shadow of the Dragon in the dream is because it’s your Wyld Hunt. The Wyld Hunt is given to Sylvari in the dream. The same way you can also dream about unicorns and knights.

Now I’m not dismissing the possible connection between the Sylvari and Mordy (we simply don’t know at this point).

Not so much a retcon but more a misintepretation. Now one knew about Mordy at this time and your Character only said, that you saw a dragon, not what kind of dragon this was.

The chars only thought it was referred to Zhaitan because they didn’t know better.

It was also speculated that this dragon was not related to Zhaitan but to Mordy who is the “Jungle Dragon”

in Living World

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

I always thought that the Shadow represented the EDs in general rather then Zhaitan specifically.

Hate is Fuel.

in Living World

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

See, this is why I have my signature. This is one of the most common thread topics. People make one every week, if not more. Fix the stupid search function Anet, this theory is annoying enough as it is.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

in Living World

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

The dragon isn’t named in the dream at all. Later, Zhaitan is assumed to be the object of your Wyld Hunt, but when all the elder dragons are named, Mordremoth isn’t one of them. It seems pretty odd to me that it’s “of the Dragon” and no specific dragon is named.

So we have a Mordrem in the dream (it’s the exact same model), and this has now become a mystery.

In the dream are also mobs called Sinister Nightmare Hound. We’re to assume they’re related to the Nightmare Court? What is the connection between the Nightmare Court and Mordremoth?

If the dragon in the dream isn’t related to Mordremoth, what is it and what’s it doing there? Same question goes for the hounds. If the dragon’s not related to Mordremoth and the hounds aren’t related to the Nightmare Court, then we have some very clumsy writing and design for the sylvari tutorial story.

If we assume competence on the part of the writers/designer (which I’m inclined to do) then we can assume all this is deliberate, and was so from the beginning when the game was in the planning stages before launch.

And if all this is deliberate (Mordremoth minion + Nightmare Court) then we now have an official Mystery. If it’s a retcon, what are the Nightmare hounds doing there?

Questions… Questions without answers.

The obstacle is the path.

in Living World

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

Pretty much the way I see it. The dragon we saw in the dream was just a representation of a dragon. Not necessarily a specific one.

As for it being nature form, same with the hounds, it could be the only way the dream can represent figures: in a nature-like form.

I think when we are given our wyld hunt, it is just assumed that our vision is that of Zhaitan. But personally I think the dream meant dragons as a whole, not necessarily a specific one. It was assumed Zhaitan because he was a known threat at the moment.

But you can push all that aside if you think the writers written that much story in advance. Which is quite possible. So the dragon and everything was intended to be Modremoth from the start. It’s also possible we haven’t heard what the missing piece of this possible puzzle is yet. Obviously mother Pale Tree has more attachment to Modrem as suspected by players.

in Living World

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

Pretty much the way I see it. The dragon we saw in the dream was just a representation of a dragon. Not necessarily a specific one.

As for it being nature form, same with the hounds, it could be the only way the dream can represent figures: in a nature-like form.

I think when we are given our wyld hunt, it is just assumed that our vision is that of Zhaitan. But personally I think the dream meant dragons as a whole, not necessarily a specific one. It was assumed Zhaitan because he was a known threat at the moment.

But you can push all that aside if you think the writers written that much story in advance. Which is quite possible. So the dragon and everything was intended to be Modremoth from the start. It’s also possible we haven’t heard what the missing piece of this possible puzzle is yet. Obviously mother Pale Tree has more attachment to Modrem as suspected by players.

I would like to think that’s true (the Shadow of the Dragon in the Dream is specifically a minion of Mordremoth). I would like to believe that ArenaNet have been planning this the whole time, because that would be awesome and I would definitely be impressed by that. My concern that it may not be true is that ArenaNet’s storytelling so far in Guild Wars 2, while excellent, hasn’t been the most subtle.

The obstacle is the path.

in Living World

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Not so much a retcon but more a misintepretation. Now one knew about Mordy at this time and your Character only said, that you saw a dragon, not what kind of dragon this was.

The chars only thought it was referred to Zhaitan because they didn’t know better.

It was also speculated that this dragon was not related to Zhaitan but to Mordy who is the “Jungle Dragon”

With how the Pale Tree seems to completely not be surprised when we tell her that Mordremoth is awake, I’m pretty sure she knew about it for quite a while.

in Living World

Posted by: xoz.2481

xoz.2481

so about unicorns?..

You sure?

in Living World

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

Actually, back during season one it was mentioned Omadds Machine UNLOCKED something in scarlets mind already there, a block. My theory being the pale tree itself is a liberated minion, the same way glint broke from Kralky.

The dream as it where is what I believe as the pale tree, placing your own block on you as your born. Perhaps it’s not a fully severed connection from mordy.

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

And in this season it’s heavily implied that Scarlet encountered Mordremoth’s corruption and got the visions before going into the machine.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Living World

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

If you make a Sylvari you fight the shadow of the Dragon in the dream the pale tree tells you it means your ment to fight and kill an elder dragon. The dragon in the dream is there because the nightmare are atacking the dream so why is it a dragon? Because the Sylvari are aculy connected to Mordremoth much like the branded and risen are to the dragons that made them. the Sylvari who have acted in ways that helped the dragon were not under the protection of the pale tree and so Mordremoth could very easily control them. the nightmare is most likely a result of Mordremoth corruption. And as such the wild hunt of all player made Sylvari is not to kill Zhaitan but to kill the true enemy of the pale tree Mordremoth

I’ve always interpreted the Shadow of the Dragon at the beginning of the Sylvari PS as a symbol for all Elder Dragons & their allies. It’s definately the job of the Sylvari PCs to take down or at least quell the Dragons.

in Living World

Posted by: Lady Celtaine.3760

Lady Celtaine.3760

In the fight at Concordia a lone Nightmare Hound (“Thorn Wolf” technically 2 of them but they each come in different waves) was one of the enemies you had to defeat alongside the Mordrem wolves.

That seals it as a connection between the Nightmare Court and Mordremoth for me.

Attachments:

(edited by Lady Celtaine.3760)

in Living World

Posted by: Rukh.9287

Rukh.9287

The dragon in the dream is mordremoth’s minion, or some sort of shadow of it.

It’s not a retcon.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/lore/lore/Question-regarding-Shadow-of-the-Dragon/4322522

“The Shadow of the Dragon is definitely one of Mordremoth’s lieutenants. It is a plant creature and quite evil. When you see it in the Dream, however, you’re seeing some sort of magical reflection. You fight it there, but it’s not the actual creature in the Dream. This doesn’t mean it’s any less dangerous there.
The roots of this story were conceived while we were creating the main game, and the lore goes all the way back to Guild Wars 1. So yes, it’s safe to assume that we’ve planned it (mostly) all along.”

in Living World

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

As others have stated we didn’t tell the Pale Tree what Dragon we saw so obviously she misinterpreted which Dragon it represented until we recognized the Shadow of the Dragon upon seeing it….

If we had told her that it was a Jungle based Dragon we fought she would have realized we were destined to fight Mordremoth’s Dragon Champion!

in Living World

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

In the fight at Concordia a lone Nightmare Hound (“Thorn Wolf” technically 2 of them but they each come in different waves) was one of the enemies you had to defeat alongside the Mordrem wolves.

That seals it as a connection between the Nightmare Court and Mordremoth for me.

if Mordy can corrupt Sylvari why not Nightmare Hounds, they’re kinda the same species, actually technically speaking since both are born from the Pale Tree…

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

if Mordy can corrupt Sylvari why not Nightmare Hounds, they’re kinda the same species, actually technically speaking since both are born from the Pale Tree…

Actually, I think the proper term would be that sylvan hounds and sylvari are the same genus, while the nightmare hounds are the same species as regular sylvan hounds. I admit, I don’t know how genetics work in Tyria, but since they both come from the tree, they’re probably genetically related. However, the hounds actually start kind of like babies and grow up, which is extremely odd if compared to the sylvari who emerge at maturity like Athena from Zeus’s forehead.