Punished for finding the Eagle?

in Super Adventure Box: Back to School

Posted by: DaG.5103

DaG.5103

My wife and I were playing through W2 Z2. It was my first time, but she had done it in infantile mode and had the glove. I don’t.

We found the eagle, and took it to the end, and lo and behold, we can’t get to the boss without BOTH of us having the glove. So now we have to redo the whole level.

Josh, I love a lot of what you’ve done here, man, but this is a textbook Bad Player Experience. Please do something about this, at least in the future zones. I should not be punished for finding your shortcuts.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

The work around solution is to leave to hub whilst the person with the glove drops the bridge.

Posted by: VitalSuit.1980

VitalSuit.1980

The work around solution is to leave to hub whilst the person with the glove drops the bridge.

And then his wife can’t join back in because once you start nobody can join you.

Posted by: Fikston.5296

Fikston.5296

And then his wife can’t join back in because once you start nobody can join you.

That’s only in Tribulation mode.

Posted by: Xalugami.2096

Xalugami.2096

The Glove is a major key item in the first place. Just finding the Eagle requires you to use the Glove, so would it not occur to you then that “hmm maybe we should get me the glove first since I’ll probably need it later”. They put the block there because that’s good design; can’t pass without the item because you need it. I wish they would add more party-wide item gates because riding the coattails of another player’s items is my biggest gripe with SAB.
If I find an obstacle that requires an item, instead of relying on someone else, I’ll go find the item since it’s going to be needed again in the future (like with the Toad Dojo Bauble, forgot I could even do that).

Posted by: Jesseroo.8247

Jesseroo.8247

The Glove is a major key item in the first place. Just finding the Eagle requires you to use the Glove, so would it not occur to you then that “hmm maybe we should get me the glove first since I’ll probably need it later”. They put the block there because that’s good design; can’t pass without the item because you need it. I wish they would add more party-wide item gates because riding the coattails of another player’s items is my biggest gripe with SAB.
If I find an obstacle that requires an item, instead of relying on someone else, I’ll go find the item since it’s going to be needed again in the future (like with the Toad Dojo Bauble, forgot I could even do that).

I’ve actually run into this problem in a group where people killed the glove guy (unbeknownst to me) and I ended up ported to the next checkpoint. Then at the end was surprised to find I needed an upgrade that I had no idea how to get. I think it’s a bit of a problem to require the whole group to have the item when you can easily find yourself skipping it.

Posted by: DaG.5103

DaG.5103

I’ve actually run into this problem in a group where people killed the glove guy (unbeknownst to me) and I ended up ported to the next checkpoint. Then at the end was surprised to find I needed an upgrade that I had no idea how to get. I think it’s a bit of a problem to require the whole group to have the item when you can easily find yourself skipping it.

Exactly. If that’s the case, there should be something stopping us from both getting to the eagle in the same way we cannot pass to the end of the level without both having the glove, or at least some way to travel BACK after we get to the end of the level so I can get the glove. From there, it appeared we were rather stuck and simply had to exit.

Just to be extra clear, I think we should have not been able to travel on the eagle in the first place without BOTH having the glove if we are going to BOTH require it to finish the level where the eagle drops us off.

We did not consider the leaving “workaround”, but like I said above, it shouldn’t be necessary.

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

I know for a fact that it is possible to backtrack the entire level, though I haven’t ever done that before getting past the Assassin mini-boss which rewards you with the Glove.

I do think it should be possible to backtrack though, even if you haven’t killed the Assassin yet. In order to obtain every bauble, you pretty much are required to backtrack the level at some point, in order to get the baubles from where the shortcut eagle drops you off.

I find the design of World 2 – Zone 3 to be terrible compared to Zone 2. There are several points of no return there, when you go for all the secrets and baubles, which forces you to take a leap to your death in order to checkpoint. That’s just terrible design. If you get to the third and fourth chest, and lose a key, you’re completely unable to open them, as there are no other shops but one that is past a point of no return for that part of the map. I wish I could backtrack Zone 3 as well as I can for Zone 2.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Absconditus.6804)