Frizz's lab is a terrible fight

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Aeros.2046

Aeros.2046

It would almost be enjoyable if it were not for the golem pull. Seriously Anet, its hard enough trying to time jumping on the boxes and avoiding the electricity without a golem yanking you into it and killing you instantly. For the love of god get rid of the pull ability, it makes it kitten near impossible and reduces the entire enterprise to luck, in that when they do pull you its not to your death.

[KRTA]
Maguuma

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Stability

Don’t have easy access to stability? Have someone bring a shout guardian

It’s a group dungeon for a reason.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Just dodge the pull

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: negerleif.2106

negerleif.2106

Stability

yeah and stability will protect you for how long?
a few seconds then its atleast 30 seconds of getting hooked and killed untill you can use stability again…

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Okhu.7948

Okhu.7948

Frizz’s lab requires god-like situation awareness. You need to be aware of the golems, the location of the next short wall, and the location of the large wall. Most people can’t keep track of all three things at once. If they were able to it would be a non-issue.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Tetris with Fists.4615

Tetris with Fists.4615

Just dodge the pull

You can’t dodge on top of a pile of crates.

Vicimus of Crystal Desert

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

Really? They finally added a fight that you have to be awake for and you guys are crying about it?

Stability, or dodge work just fine.

You could always just keep moving and jump the small wall, since thats what you are supposed to do, one jump to level one crate and then another jump over the beam. Ran the dungeon a couple times yesterday with total randoms and we got it after a single wipe both times.

How EZ do you guys want everything?

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

Just dodge the pull

You can’t dodge on top of a pile of crates.

Of course you can.
If you don’t want to fall down, stand on the second highest crate, facing the top crate, and dodge forwards, hitting the top crate. You will still be high enough for not being hit by the beam and you will dodge the pull.
Otherwise, dodge to the ground and run to another pile of crates.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

You can also block/reflect/interupt/evade the pull, blind/fear/knockback/any other cc the golem, or use line of sight to stop the pull.

It’s easy to see who the golem is focusing on and when they are getting ready to pull.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

I personally really love this fight. I hope they make more like it. I have had no issues at all with any of my groups. Just use the crates and keep moving.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

I’m not asking for this dungeon to change, but I understand part of everyone’s frustration.

Not every class has easy access to stability. As an Engie, I don’t have very easy or lots of access to stability.

And with so much going on, it is hard to watch the golems for the pull mechanism. Besides, the bright light of the wall usually obscures the golems so you can’t see much anyways. It ends up being a blind pull that you can not dodge. If you could actually see the golem, then maybe you would have a chance.

It’s a tough fight. I find it tougher than the last boss fight. The only thing tough there is the cannon fire because you can’t see the AoE circles.

Tough fight, but I’m sure it will become real easy after some more practice.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Twitch.4635

Twitch.4635

This fight really isn’t that hard just pay attention and LEARN the fight mechanics. If only more dungeons in GW2 like this one I would have my dungeon master title by now.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Farran.3607

Farran.3607

Basically, this fight is a huge skill test. It’s to see if you can not only press buttons and hit monsters, but also if you can pay attention to everything around you. I played this fight on my rifle Warrior, and basically kited around A LOT (and I mean a lot) and paid minute attention to the position of my character, the laser walls, the crates, and the golems. And, I was the last person to die on my team countless times, lol.

It’s frustrating, sure, but I think the boss fight is one of the more well designed ones. Anyone can kill monsters. This fight forces you to think on your feet. It’s as if I’m a monk playing GvG in GW1 again, that’s how much effort I had to put in paying attention to everything, and it was pretty satisfying when the boss fight finally finished.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Aeros.2046

Aeros.2046

How exactly can you pay attention to the golem pull? I can see the beams coming, but the pull is random, and you may not be able to get stability up for it. In fact, you usually can’t. And since I am a necromancer, stability is not exactly a buff I can have unless I use my elite plague skill which has a 180 second cool down. The point is the event is hard enough already. But the golem pull makes it a matter of luck not skill.

[KRTA]
Maguuma

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

I have not had much of an issue with it. I constantly move and am out of the golems reach. I would suggest using ranged weapons.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Farran.3607

Farran.3607

If you’re having issues with the golem pull, just keep running. They can’t pull you if you’re constantly away from them. And yes, they can pull you off of a crate when you’re waiting for a small laser wall to pass, but chances are, if you’re doing it correctly, you’ll only take damage from the wall and be able to escape from the golem after. just maintain your heals, make sure you have enough endurance to dodge if you do get pulled, and you should be fine. And yes, long range weapons are a must here. You want to be as far away from the golems as possible.

In fact, the thing I worried the most about was not the walls, or the golems (though they were really annoying at times), but the CONFUSION. Seriously, half my party died because they didn’t realize that they had confusion on them, and kept auto attacking until they died. You’re going to want to bring some condition removal, and if you can’t get rid of the confusion, stop auto attacking until it goes away, and keep running. That should improve your survival chances.

(edited by Farran.3607)

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Nialiss.6459

Nialiss.6459

Apparently Anet thinks its “fun” and “interesting” to get CC spammed non-stop. Stability isn’t even a good solution to it either because it only lasts a few seconds with a 30 second recharge. Dodging is hardly a solution when you have 3 golems perma-chasing and CC spamming you across the room. Needless to say, I quit after 3 attempts. Not just because it almost made me fall asleep, but also because it’s just plain annoying how everything can rip through over 3.5k armor in seconds.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

This fight really isn’t that hard just pay attention and LEARN the fight mechanics. If only more dungeons in GW2 like this one I would have my dungeon master title by now.

It’s one of those dungeons that makes you hate your party members because bad players make it so much worse, not just because they need to be carried, but because the dungeon mechanics are designed in a way that allows a single person to kitten it all up for the entire group. People who don’t pull golems away from the electric fields resulting in them blocking all attacks, people who don’t work to get Mai hit by cannon fire, this dungeon sucks if you have a single person who hinders you in this way and it’s actually possible to work against your party if you try. I hate it when they design dungeons like that.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

Apparently Anet thinks its “fun” and “interesting” to get CC spammed non-stop. Stability isn’t even a good solution to it either because it only lasts a few seconds with a 30 second recharge. Dodging is hardly a solution when you have 3 golems perma-chasing and CC spamming you across the room. Needless to say, I quit after 3 attempts. Not just because it almost made me fall asleep, but also because it’s just plain annoying how everything can rip through over 3.5k armor in seconds.

So you were “bored” but at the same time its too challenging?

It was needless to say that you quit though, we could have inferred your quitter attitude from the rest of your QQ post.

@Shiren I hope you never play DOTA2 or any other MOBA if you think teammates can ruin things in this game. A single person in those games can easily waste 40+ minutes if they are bad.

(edited by displacedTitan.6897)

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Nialiss.6459

Nialiss.6459

So you were “bored” but at the same time its too challenging?

It was needless to say that you quit though, we could have inferred your quitter attitude from the rest of your QQ post.

I’d hardly call getting CC spammed a “challenge.” I find this boss even less engaging than Simin on Arah p4 which is basically just, “Lol, stand and spam dmg until dead.” Weee, fun.

Bad design is bad I guess.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

This has to be the worst boss encounter I’ve ever seen in a dungeon yet. Dungeons weren’t that fun to begin with, and this one even less so. Sorry Lion’s Arch, but they can ruin Dragon Bash for all I care.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: BlueSoda.6297

BlueSoda.6297

This is the hardest part of this dungeon. The fact that you need to be perfectly coordinated with everyone in your party makes it rough, and you really can’t stop to revive. Really sucks if you don’t have a guardian in your group to buff you with stability :P (and even then when the gaps in stability buffing occur, you get pulled right off of a crate and it’s all over,lol.)

Charr Lawful-Neutral

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Taegos.4132

Taegos.4132

Its fun watch people complain about this fight, i personally enjoyed it. To many people are used to face rolling the other places atm that when something slightly hard comes along it QQ. Learn to look around and dodge. 1 shot this place and we only had 1 go down.

I personally enjoyed this fight greatly, reminded me of my old raider days from other MMOs. Learn to play and stop expecting the game to play for you.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Stability

yeah and stability will protect you for how long?
a few seconds then its atleast 30 seconds of getting hooked and killed untill you can use stability again…

Funny, can’t say I ever got killed by the pull. Sounds like a player issue.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Aelelan.1639

Aelelan.1639

It’s an important mechanic of the fight. They only do the pull when they are supercharged so you can’t let them hit the walls themselves or they are going to do this annoying thing to you. Maybe they could have telegraphed this better (made it more obvious how to prevent the pulls) but it’s a great mechanic that is definitely avoidable.

The last thing we need in this game is more faceroll content in high-end PvE. Let’s not get me wrong here but for god’s sake it is SO refreshing to have something that is actually challenging to do in PvE.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: robocafaz.9017

robocafaz.9017

The only problem I have with the fight is the inability to really hold aggro on a target. This resulted in a lot of ping-ponging the golem across the center of the room, keeping him supercharged far too long.

Deany Kong – #magswag
Head Deany Kong of Deany and the Kongs [Kong]
http://www.youtube.com/user/RoboCafaz

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

Just ignore the golems and concentrate on running and surviving. CC them when you get close with an interrupt and keep running. They can’t pull you if they aren’t close. If you are ranged, then just lock autoattack on one and keep running and shooting when in range. For melee, find a rifle or just hit them when they are close and dodge to run away.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Lord of Madness.2603

Lord of Madness.2603

Oddly I think the walls should be more punishing if you get pulled though them, or at least a bit more reactive. Sometimes they will pull me right though and I’ll take no damage or very little damage at all.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Camaro Charr.2805

Camaro Charr.2805

Just take 5 shout guardians, continuous healing, stability, and condition removal.

RE- Red Essence
Dragonband

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Ratty.5176

Ratty.5176

The only problem I have with the fight is the inability to really hold aggro on a target. This resulted in a lot of ping-ponging the golem across the center of the room, keeping him supercharged far too long.

Get together, and move as a group, it really helps with this. You can get to the point where there shield is down 80% of the time. Which makes them die so much faster. Also it seems like Crippling them stops them pulling, so Rangers, Thieves here is your place to shine.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

Not every class has easy access to stability. As an Engie, I don’t have very easy or lots of access to stability.

True, but you do have other things. I play an Engi almost solely. You have two dodges, and Elixir R as a stun break and refills your dodge capacity.

Also you have an Invulnerability and a smoke/reflection wall as a utility with it. Plus your pistol blinds.

Not too sure what more you need.

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Rambo.3590

Rambo.3590

And this is the time when you should learn a bit more about your class.
Both 2 skills on your shield + Gear shield from toolkit + elixir S. That’s 4.5 skills (half is given as regards to Toss elixir skill).
You still trying to insist that you don’t have any option to avoid pulling?

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

Hated the fight, probably won’t go back again. Clearly some people are really enjoying it and it’s great that there is content for them but it’s not for everyone.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

Engie here too. I use my healing turret with knockback trait and personal battering ram to interrupt them. I believe elixir R has lost its stun break in the new patch, but elixir gun toolbelt has gained one.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

That golem pull is too much for this fight. Get rid of that, and this fight becomes manageable. Though I still find the too fast small moving lasers to be a bit too much as well.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

You just need one person with some way of giving others stability and it becomes very easy. I don’t find that to be asking a lot from players.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“You can also block/reflect/interupt/evade the pull, blind/fear/knockback/any other cc the golem, or use line of sight to stop the pull.”

The golems frequently have an invulnerability shield so you cannot pull, daze, knockback, or do anything else to them. Perhaps if you are dodging in the perfect direction and watching the golems and watching the beams and timing your dazes and everything else then you’re ok.

I think the fight is manageable but much easier for heavy armored stability classes than the squishy classes. Isn’t it funny how often this seems to be the case? I’m guessing ranger pets are pointless, and engineer turrets, and necro minions and so on.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Actually the easiest approach is to go with 5 BM rangers and just run around while pets kill the golems dead. It requires no thinking, no spatial awareness, no skill, just some time.
(lot of time, since the BM ranger dungeon damage went down hard this patch).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

I have no problem with challenging content for achievements or special gear/skins. What I hate about this dungeon (and Frizz lab in particular) is that is yet another example of the bait and switch that ArenaNet insists on using with their stories.

They introduce a storyline with content that is solo-able and straightforward. But then the conclusion of the storyline is grouped content of a difficulty level that is far harder than the previous missions leading up to it.

If they want a storyline to end in a group fight then the ENTIRE STORYLINE should be grouped content. Do not draw in solo and casual players who do not have the time to re-run encounters like Frizz’s lab.

My group of friends tried the dungeon several times and been prevented from seeing the conclusion of the plot. I have no doubt with enough practice we could master it, no PvE content is so hard that memorization and practice cannot solve it. But none of us have an interest in making this game a second job, even for a couple of weeks.

ArenaNet seems to think blocking the last the chapter of a storyline from some of their players constitutes good storytelling. My advice to them is to see what it’s like to get escorted out of the theater 10 minutes before the ending of a movie or have the last chapter of a book ripped out and then read about the ending on a wiki page to see exactly how much that enhances the story experience.

Story and lore is the one thing that unifies an MMO community. Casuals and hardcores alike know asura are snarky and why charr hate humans. ArenaNet continues to follow this wretched tradition of past MMOs by insisting on gating story and lore in a misguided attempt to introduce challenges that can be offered other ways in game (i.e. using the scaling system that already exists).

TLDR – Challenging content is fine for gear/rewards but if a storyline is introduced by casual and solo-able content/missions then the conclusions to that storyline should be consistent with that level of difficulty. ArenaNet said they did not believe in bait and switch tactics but they are very much present in this aspect of GW2.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Shadowtech.5071

Shadowtech.5071

True, but you do have other things. I play an Engi almost solely. You have two dodges, and Elixir R as a stun break and refills your dodge capacity.

Also you have an Invulnerability and a smoke/reflection wall as a utility with it. Plus your pistol blinds.

Not too sure what more you need.

Elixir R isn’t a stun break anymore

Everyone has 2 dodges -.- your point?

Invulnerability from what? Elixir S?

smoke/reflection wall is rng from throw elixir U and is on a very long cd, not at all reliable

pistol blinds, yeah only on pistol as a SD build engi I use rifle so how does that help me?

We need more stability and less rng is what we need

Also as a SD build engi i don’t use elixirs so what do you suggest I do? without elixirs, and access to pistols ? not so simple is it

since you play engi pretty much exclusively try and learn it a bit better ya know.

Catastraseed – Guardian / Keytuura – Engineer
[GoA] Guardians of Äsgard
Maguuma

(edited by Shadowtech.5071)

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

This is one of the best boss fights in the game. Somebody please remove the OP from life.

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I don’t mind that the Golems have a pull ability. But I do hate chain-pulls. The golems get you into a ping pong match, where there is nothing you can do. If you get hit by multiple pulls in a row, you are toast. And the game won’t let you counter it after the first hit, your skill bar will be on constant recharge. Which means that’s several seconds where you have no control what so ever, and get killed by the electric walls.

I’ve managed to get the achievement, but this still occasionally happens to me, and I think it is a cheap game mechanic.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

This is one of the best boss fights in the game. Somebody please remove the OP from life.

Which is very funny, because the hard part doesn’t come from the fight itself and is in no way affected by combat abilities.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: bartem.2731

bartem.2731

I couldn’t get FTL on my PVT guardian, aka aggro magnet 9000 in most groups. I had to switch to a zerker eng and could even spam grenades while not getting pulled. I agree with Mad Queen Malafide, you run out of options quickly if you’re getting chain pulled. I honestly had easier time with squishy classes on this part due to aggro mechanics.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

With my build I use elixir S and that saves me alot but it has alot of CD even though I have Elixirs in 20% less CD.
Also in the last phase if you are unlucky (and it seems I am always) you can get both robots at you and they will get charged since it is impossible to keep them from getting charged and then they will do the pull after each other so if I dodge once the next one will pull you in, that’s what I save my Elixir S for.

I dunno what I am doing wrong, but I have tried every strategy and tips for this forum and nothing helps, we are keeping together and we are good at jumping and dodging and one miss in the last Phase or just being unlucky once and it is game over.

I have compleated the first boss fight with PUG’s but with my team that is alot better that the PUG’s I have played with we can’t just do it, I do like the whole dungeon, it is challanging and fun to do but the Frizz fight is terrible yes.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

I disagree wholeheartedly. The clash in Frizz’s lab is one of my favourite encounters in the entire game. The first time I entered into the fight, I was overwhelmed with everything I needed to pay attention to and wasn’t sure how I could actually acomplish such a fight. Pressing forward, I eventually managed to get better and better, as did the people I group with. Almost all of us now have the Faster than Light achievement.

Timing is essential. You really need to be on top of your game in order to keep up with the encounter. Standing atop a box and then simply moving to the next box just isn’t enough. However, you’re not doomed if a player goes down. During the first and second laser phases, you can easily circle-res if you’re careful and don’t take unnecessary chances. You can res during the last phase, though it is much tricker.

This encounter really tests your knowledge of your class. Chances are you’ll need to swap out skills and traits before beginning Frizz but even then, you’ll be tested. For instance, as a necromancer I have limited access to stability meaning that the golems’ pull is especially dangerous to me. To compensate, I utilised my fears while my thief friend made sure he stole invulnerability at the beginning of the fight and kept that as a little trump card.

Yes, the fight is difficult but it is not impossible and the difficulty is not artificial (high health, number based etc.). I need to see more skill based encounters like this in the game, else I fear my interest will wane.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I got the achievement on my second try for this. Granted I was 1 of 3 guardians, it was a guild run, and we would rotate our stability, but if everyone stays together and jumps on the same crates at the right time, you would only need 3secs of stability per crate then move on. It’s really a very easy fight and achievement to get if you work with your team.

If you are PUGing and are doing your own thing, odds are you won’t get that achievement.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Did the dungeon last night for the very first time. I thought it was well done.

We wiped on Frizz’s lab about 5 times before we nailed it.

Essentially it’s a DPS race because you can’t hope to out-live the rotating walls in phase 3 indefinitely. I think the pull makes it hard, but not overly challenging.

I enjoyed the lab fight the most in the entire dungeon. The final fight was fun too but it was not complicated, nor did it vary. The final fight is the same thing x4. After you survive the cannons once, doing it again and again is not as fun. The lab however changed with each wave — very cool.

EDIT: Also if you are one-shotted by the rotating walls you probably need to reexamine your build. We had a couple glassy toons in the party and touching the wall downed them. You need to be able to survive one screw up with your build.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I think it’s an awesome boss fight, but the Achievement is a massive pain in the Quaggin taint.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

On entering the dungeon, the prompt reads something like “Enter Story Mode.” Story mode was supposed to be the relaxed, easy dungeons, with explorable the harder mode. Even those who like this fight are comparing it favorably to the supposedly harder explorable mode dungeons which they say are too easy.

Now, I can do most explorable mode dungeons fairly readily. Couldn’t pass this fight, though. With arthritic hands and fingers, simultaneously running while looking around for golems while finding then jumping on boxes while trying to shoot golems while dodging or using stability to avoid pulls is beyond my physical capability. My fingers don’t work that way now. If they ever did, it was before personal computers.

Now, I don’t have a problem with not being able to complete this dungeon. However, if ANet is going to make a practice of inserting twitchy, use multiple fingers on both hands simultaneously mechanics into boss fights, at least put them in explorable modes. Leave story modes for those of us whose manual dexterity isn’t up to these gyrations.