Living world only for high level players?

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: Agathorn.3582

Agathorn.3582

Q:

I only started playing the game, very casually, about a month ago. I work a lot and only get to play a few hours a week.

I don’t know much about the game, and i’m still in the initial racial zones.

The end of the Living Story before seemed to be taking place all in areas that were too high level for me, but I thought that might just be because it was going on for a while.

But now a new one has started and it too is in some area i’ve never heard of.

Are these events always only for high or max level players? Is there ever any living world content for newbies and low level players?

Posted by: Kasaeva.4691

Kasaeva.4691

A:

All players are upleveled to 80 upon entering Southsun Cove. It can be accessed via an Asura Gate in Lion’s Arch.

The Frost and Flame story arc mostly took place in low level zones. Wayfarer’s is 1-15 and Diessa is 15-25. Or somewhere around there. I’m not entirely sure but I believe the concluding dungeon and the personal instances in the Frost and Flame story arc upleveled you or adjusted to suit your level as well.

So, to answer your question—no. The Living Story is intended and designed for everyone to participate and enjoy.

~Kasaeva
Sea of Sorrows

(edited by Kasaeva.4691)

Agathorn.3582

Thank you for your kind reply. So maybe the game or ArenaNet just needs to communicate that better to people who don’t know the game very well

So my level 8 thief is in Divinity’s Reach. How can I get to, and participate in, this new Southsun event?

Posted by: Kasaeva.4691

Kasaeva.4691

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-secret-of-southsun/

•All players who enter the island for the duration of the event are scaled up to level 80. This content is available from May 14 to June 11.

They tried at least.

In Divinity’s Reach go to the Asura Gate in the big center plaza. It will take you to Lion’s Arch. From there, you need to go to the bottom part of the map where you’ll find a little boardwalk and two Asura Gates. The one in the corner is malfunctioning and is a dungeon. The normal one in the middle takes you to Southsun Cove. Alternatively, you can go to the docks in Lion’s Arch and talk to the guy with a boat icon above his head. He can send you there as well.

~Kasaeva
Sea of Sorrows

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

The indoors park thing central to Div-Reach has a gate to Lion’s Arch, and if you swim south from the gate cluster you appear at when travelling through, you’ll find a boardwalk/dock with two more gates on it. One is for Fractals, the other goes to SC (the Fractals one looks a bit glitchy, the SC one is a normal gate). If you miss them they’ll probably be on your map by then anyway.

Then once you get through just talk to NPCs with the star icon over them like usual. As an upscaled 8 you’ll probably die a lot (ranged attacks and following groups may be useful here) but your repair cost is negligible at that point.

Also, buy some copper harvesting stuff and harvest the rocks/plants/trees. 99% of what you get will be garbage due to insufficient tools, but you still get experience and occasionally the non-guaranteed stuff which isn’t affected by the tool level.

Agathorn.3582

Thanks everyone.

Agathorn.3582

Honestly, this really does NOT work for low level players. I can freeload on events, but at my level upped to 80, i’m pretty much useless in there

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Low level players can level fast in this game. Just complete hearts in all beginner areas and do DE’s. Do some crafting and personal story too. And remember upgrading traits and armor. A casual player can get to 80 in 3 weeks.

DON’T only farm to level up! That will take forever.

Agathorn.3582

Low level players can level fast in this game. Just complete hearts in all beginner areas and do DE’s. Do some crafting and personal story too. And remember upgrading traits and armor. A casual player can get to 80 in 3 weeks.

Please don’t turn this into a “its easy to level whats your problem?” post. The point of this wasn’t about leveling but why living story content seems to not be accessible to lower level players.

1) Not everyone plays a lot. Especially a free to play game like this, where there is no drive to “get your subs worth”. As I said in the OP I work close to 80 a hours a week, sometimes more, and only play GW2 a few hours a week.

2) Not everyone WANTS to level fast. Personally I hate games where the game actually starts at max level. The journey from 1 to whatever should be fun. That should be the game just as much as the end game is.

Living story content should be fun for people at lower levels just as much as higher levels.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It is accessible. You are scaled up to 80.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Please don’t turn this into a “its easy to level whats your problem?” post. The point of this wasn’t about leveling but why living story content seems to not be accessible to lower level players.

1) Not everyone plays a lot. Especially a free to play game like this, where there is no drive to “get your subs worth”. As I said in the OP I work close to 80 a hours a week, sometimes more, and only play GW2 a few hours a week.

2) Not everyone WANTS to level fast. Personally I hate games where the game actually starts at max level. The journey from 1 to whatever should be fun. That should be the game just as much as the end game is.

Living story content should be fun for people at lower levels just as much as higher levels.

It’s not a rush at all to level up. It’s really easy to get to 80.

Also levels are unimportant at level 80. The game then becomes a sandbox game.

Posted by: LowestTruth.2635

LowestTruth.2635

Honestly, this really does NOT work for low level players. I can freeload on events, but at my level upped to 80, i’m pretty much useless in there

What specifically are you having problems with? I was able to complete all the content for Southsun on a character around level 30.

I did all of the Flame & Frost content with a 19, including the dungeon.

What is it you’re struggling with?

Tarnished Coast

LameFox.6349

This is probably more due to lack of familiarity with the content (both SC and in general) than level. While it’s true that you won’t have the same potential for different approaches without traits and utilities (and with only one stat-type per bit of gear), having those things is no guarantee you’ll suddenly be able to survive and be useful. In the previous ‘chapter’ of the living story some of the groups I went through the final dungeon with had (upscaled) low level players who were being downed and killed less often than some of the 80’s we had in the same group. The difference was that these were clearly alts, and the player had a good grasp of what they were up against and what they had to fight it with.

As a thief you’ll be incredibly fragile (low hp, and in your case an unpleasant lack of utilities) but also don’t really lose anything by death at this point. Repair costs at your level are tiny. Even a single karka shell, which is by no means valuable, could be sold on the trade post and (last I looked anyway) probably repair every piece of armour you have. You’re also fortunate in that your weapon skills provide some limited evasive abilities, and at least three functions I can think of off-hand that would be useful regardless of your level.

Larcenous Strike (wielding sword/dagger) allows you to steal boons from the enemy, which is useful against veteran karkas (these have retaliation quite frequently) and things with ‘rider’ in their name (which steal boons from players, and can be quite annoying as they also have a lot of life). It’ll be pretty risky smacking a veteran karka with it, but you can also use this sword skill to get in, letting you quickly rip the boons off with larcenous strike, then get out again (curing a condition, incidentally). Note from the wiki description you’ve got 15s to cast the return, which should be longer than you sit next to a veteran karka for anyway.

Secondly, Cluster Bomb (shortbow). It’s a blast finisher – fire it into fields to create a combo. Even if you don’t recognize different fields, you’ll either do something unpleasant to enemies or something vaguely useful to allies around the field.

Thankfully on the same weapon, Choking Gas. Poison reduces heal effectiveness (for things like reef riders again, which may steal regeneration) and this skill is also a poison field. Firing a cluster bomb into it will cause weakness to nearby enemies. Allies can also use the field (intentionally or by accident) while it’s there.

Posted by: Onis.2418

Onis.2418

Honestly, this really does NOT work for low level players. I can freeload on events, but at my level upped to 80, i’m pretty much useless in there :(

heh, don’t worry about it. :) It might feel like freeloading, but usually any extra on fight is a good thing – in GW2 everyone gets their own loot and exp comes from finishing events. Just switch to range and throw in some AOE’s and try to res people if you see them.

Also a lot of the achievements are about collecting stuff and talking to NPC’s. If you can get past the mobs, you’re well on your way to getting the event items. I suggest going for the flower – it’s a level 80 item, but it looks pretty and it’s decently easy to get (it’ll probably take around 1-2 hours to find all the spots).

http://dulfy.net/2013/05/14/gw2-secrets-of-southsun-achievement-guide/

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

You aren’t useless at all, you’re not as useful as a fully-traited level 80 but the thing about Southsun Cove is that it’s actually pretty tough content for everyone. Unless you have extraordinary skills for example, there is simply no way you could solo a Veteran Karka; those things are the equivalent of Champion level mobs elsewhere in the world. In terms of difficulty, I’d say that most mobs are actually the equivalent of a category higher elsewhere. If you want to find out how you’d fare against a “normal” level 80 mob, find a Reef Skelk and kill it; unlike everything else on the island, the skelks are pretty “normal” in terms of health and abilities.

In case you haven’t already figured this out on your own, against Young Karka use your dodge-roll to avoid the silver acid they send out towards the beginning of a fight, this stuff is horrible and you do not want to get hit by it. For Reef Drakes, keep at range, if you allow them to get you into melee range they will stack Confusion on you and you will die. For Wave Riders, get ready to steal back any boons they steal from you … they have a ton of health so expect a long fight. Avoid all veterans unless you have friends with you!

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

LameFox.6349

^the young karka’s ranged attack is also (relatively) limited. I’m not sure a thief could out-range it, but certainly given the low frequency with which they use it after the first volley, it’s viable to dodge out of range until it’s over if you’re not melee. Otherwise it goes on long enough to still hit you a bit after one dodge. If you kill them fast enough in melee though, you can always just back out of the first volley, then run up and kill them.

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

Even at level 80 and equipped with all exotics, Southsun is still challenging. It’s not a zone that let’s you easily wander around alone because those veteran karka aggro from a good distance and those floating jellyfish guys have incredible range and steal all my boons. With all the players running around the zone, event spawned NPCs get scaled up pretty high as you may notice up to level 84 monsters.

With all that said, none of the achievements require you to be high leveled in any way and there are lots of players there who you can party up with to help. The only one that specifically requires a high level is the omelette eating achievement. You need to be level 75, which I think they should just create lower level food for lower levels. If you really need to have that achievement, then just buy the omelette and save it until you are 75 and then eat it. The achievement will still be around after it ends.

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

Actually, the area is just really hard, even for Level 80 characters. My level 80 Necromancer has such a hard time getting around on that map without getting mauled by a giant crab in two shots.

I recommend using the buddy system.