Please.. Dungeons throughout.

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Hello Arena Net. Please make every aspect of the living story a dungeon. Then it won’t be starting as a singe player thing and moving to a group thing. This apparently is misleading to people. Therefore, in order to not mislead people and to continue to deliver amazing end-story dungeons, make every story step a dungeon.

Thanks!

Posted by: Xalugami.2096

Xalugami.2096

This is kind of a silly idea. I understand the forums are currently Solo vs Grouped Content and not to mix them, and this thread seems a bit too extreme just to have people cease voicing their opinions.

On the topic though, if every portion was a dungeon that would leave very little room for collecting special items in exchange for lore (like Lost & Found) or having the world get altered during the events taking place. Though that would exclude the solo-players, that literally takes away the “Living” from the World, since nothing is actually happening out in Tyria.

(Before people use the Molten Weapons Facility against this opinion, I’d like to point out that Wayfarer & Diessa have changed with events and NPCs, as well as lore all over the place. Then finished it off in a way only a dungeon could handle.)

Jemmi.6058

Hey Xalugami,

Yes. I suppose it is a bit extreme and troll-worthy. However, it actually is my preference. I would have preferred if the short instances with Braham and Rox were actually grouped dungeons, for example.

I think from a business stand point, it makes sense for ANet to do what they are doing and provide both solo and group content.

From my personal stand point, I want all dungeons!

From a stand point of the current argument of the forum – see my original post.

Note: I don’t include the collection lost and found stuff in this. I mean more the actual story stuff, like the braham and rox instances. The lost and found was more of a teaser anyway.

Good point on living world changing though.

Xalugami.2096

I would agree with just the instances becoming dungeons, but then that would be a little bit too weird needing to start up a dungeon for a bit of dialogue with a Lionguard.
Personal Story structure (as used by Fractals and the Living Story’s first 5 instances) works just as well and still provides great group content. But I do see how it would lull players into thinking it was going to stay that way.

In their defense, this has been the first Living Story seen to completion, so now we know the gist of how ANet plans to work these out.

Jemmi.6058

El curioso, 5 living story instances? I only know of the 2 prior to MWF. What am I forgetting?

Posted by: SnoodBeAR.5286

SnoodBeAR.5286

It’s ok for people to want solo content and no dungeons, but as soon as people want dungeons and not solo content the thread becomes too extreme.

I too would like a purely dungeon orientated content update, fractals being the only serious dungeon content added and the AC rework.

It would stop people complaining, but then they would complain that you’re isolating some of the player base. And brand you as ‘Solo-haters’ or ‘Against casuals’

Xalugami.2096

El curioso, 5 living story instances? I only know of the 2 prior to MWF. What am I forgetting?

Oops, my bad, I meant 7. I forgot the last pair.

1. Braham & Rytlock
  2. Braham & Knut
  3. Braham & Cragstead
  4. Braham & Eir
  5. Rox & Rytlock
  6. Rox & Hatchery
  7. Rox & Rytlock in the Prisons

Despite most being short, they’re all still their own solo story instances.

Jemmi.6058

Oh, I guess I did not count the instances where you just are watching cinematics/talking.

hard to include them, because the only reason MWF requires a 5man group is because the enemies do not scale down. If all content was like that, then these instances would still remain the same (no enemies). To say that these instances suggest the entirety of the content should be solo, because you solo’d them, is kind of silly.

Posted by: CalvinHobbes.3541

CalvinHobbes.3541

It’s ok for people to want solo content and no dungeons, but as soon as people want dungeons and not solo content the thread becomes too extreme.

As has been pointed out repeatedly, not one person has advocated the exclusion or removal of dungeons. So this idea that people want solo content and no dungeons is absurd.

“It’s a magical world, Hobbes, ol’ buddy… Let’s go exploring!”

Posted by: Vulpis.8063

Vulpis.8063

Hello Arena Net. Please make every aspect of the living story a dungeon. Then it won’t be starting as a singe player thing and moving to a group thing. This apparently is misleading to people. Therefore, in order to not mislead people and to continue to deliver amazing end-story dungeons, make every story step a dungeon.

Thanks!

Quite trollish and sarcastic there, especially whith the idea of makine every Living Story this way, rather than just one storyline in it…but I could somewhat get behind this. If nothing else, it would be consistant (I wonder how the dungeoneers would have reacted if the first 4 parts of F&F were dungeons, and the last one was an open-world collectathon?), rather than the change-up problems we’ve been seeing. Or better yet, how about two parallel storylines, one told entirely in dungeons, the other told entirely in solo/open-world content, each with their own final completion reward? That way the dungoneers get something they like, the non-dungeoneers don’t get smacked in the face with what they dislike most, and the subset that actually does both gets extra loot for doing All The Things.

Vulpis.8063

I too would like a purely dungeon orientated content update, fractals being the only serious dungeon content added and the AC rework.

It would stop people complaining, but then they would complain that you’re isolating some of the player base. And brand you as ‘Solo-haters’ or ‘Against casuals’

So who would you say whinges more—the people complaining about being hit with Suddenly Dungeon, or the ones complaining there aren’t enough dungeons? :-)

Posted by: SnoodBeAR.5286

SnoodBeAR.5286

Dude, you have posted in pretty much every thread I have seen that is about the new content and its dungeons. Complaining that people are narrow minded or something, you write too much for me to bother to read and at times you posted 3 in a row, so yeah, I think you whinge more…

Been telling people the same stuff even though its irrelevant just because you want everybody to know you are against the idea of an organised party

Also look for the threads, more are saying about how FF shouldn’t have ended in a dungeon than are praising it and begging for more

(edited by SnoodBeAR.5286)

Vulpis.8063

Dude, you have posted in pretty much every thread I have seen that is about the new content and its dungeons. Complaining that people are narrow minded or something, you write too much for me to bother to read and at times you posted 3 in a row, so yeah, I think you whinge more…

Been telling people the same stuff even though its irrelevant just because you want everybody to know you are against the idea of an organised party

Also look for the threads, more are saying about how FF shouldn’t have ended in a dungeon than are praising it and begging for more

Heh. Can’t deny the first part—partly because of my tendancy to respond in detail, and partly due to being bored out of my mind and not having that much to do other than read the forums. No interest in the PvP flavors, zone-clearing’s gotten boring, and actual story content I’m either roadblocked sooner or later (not to mention all the bad press for the guy in the upcoming story segment anyway). Plus, I tend to respond in batches—see a post, respond to it, scroll to where I left off, see another post to respond to and do so, etc. Heck, this has put a damper on my MMO interest period—I keep trying to push myself to try Cryptic’s new offering, and keep ending up with excuses not to. Still, have to find some way to justify the money I spent on this thing.
Narrow-minded…when people keep saying that if you don’t want to play one particular way, you shouldn’t be playing at all, that kinda fits the definition, there.

The repetition—yeah, I’ve very certainly been doing doing far too much of that…though that’s a combination of both of the above: Not having anything better to do, and trying to patiently find a way to explain things so that others actually get it rather than re-spouting the same narrow-minded ‘One True Way’ thing.

And there are more complaints about the content than praise? Huh. Not much hope that it’ll actualy change things, but hey, maybe banging against the brick wall will eventually bring it down.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

……………………………No

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

I wonder how the dungeoneers would have reacted if the first 4 parts of F&F were dungeons, and the last one was an open-world collectathon?

Collecting.

It does seem like an odd way for a story to end, but being unusual isn’t necessarily bad. For instance the bits about returning stuff to refugees and delivering things from the dead to someone they knew could have been given a bit more detail and meaning, so that it went Intros & First Encounters -> Invasion(s) -> Counter-Attack(s) -> Ultimate Showdown -> Victory Celebrations & Aftermath. Of course, not being a terribly serious game I suppose they wanted a happier ending than ‘We won! Also loads of people died, go help the ones left over pick up the shattered pieces of their lives.’ but the potential for it to work was certainly there.

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Thanks!

I’m down with that, at least I’ll know I should avoid the whole thing because it won’t be any fun.

Great idea, +1!

Jemmi.6058

Thanks!

I’m down with that, at least I’ll know I should avoid the whole thing because it won’t be any fun.

Great idea, +1!

Haha thanks for your support! I can understand where you are coming from, as that is how I feel about pvp. I suppose it’d be as if the last part of the story required some sort of pvp to complete. I don’t think I’d get upset about it, but I definitely wouldn’t complete it.

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

sigh
I really don’t get why people are all up in arms once they are “forced” into group play for one specific element of gameplay…
Yes, I also play solo most of the time, my guild isn’t all that active anymore and it’s just more convenient that way. However, I enjoy gaming most when I can play together with other people – in well populated areas and events and with friendly groups in dungeons. The temporary dungeons related to events were, so far, all very doable with PUGs. Just get over yourselves people, this is a multiplayer game after all.
(I do have gripes with the way the personal story ends in a dungeon though, especially because this dungeon kind of expects you to have done the other storymode dungeons, story-wise, when those were entirely optional and, more often than not, a pain in the kitten )

Also, I’ll never understand why people waste so much energy on hating Trahearne. But then, I really really like his voice ^^°

Polka will never die

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

Well Vulpis there certainly are more complaints because the people that are happy with the dungeon are out there playing instead of writing posts. But I think in the case of F&F you accounted for 80% of the negative feedback so in total players complaining the number is low, but total posts about it is high.

Regardless, apparently they went back to not requiring all achievements but 25 out of however many it will be in the end, that’s a step forward. I do hope there will be some epic Karka fight at some point during this, inside a dungeon or not.