The new armor and weapon skins

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: Robert Hrouda.1327

Previous

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

We’re aware that people want new armor skins. I want new ones as well, and we’re working on things. Armor skins are much more time/resource consuming and difficult as opposed to weapons.

Yet, we have all these useless town clothes and kitten hats you keep cranking out.

Okay, I laughed really hard at that picture in your original post. Like really hard. I was wondering when I would see a picture of that.

There are certain pieces of gear that are easier tan others. Hats and gloves are generally easier than a full suit of matching gear, since a full suit requires it for 3 different weight classes (light, medium, heavy). Fun hats and one-off gloves don’t require near as much resources.

Posted by: Red Monks Wrath.8602

Red Monks Wrath.8602

So what exactly are your resources going to? I didn’t see a whole lot of content in this laughable update.

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

We’re aware that people want new armor skins. I want new ones as well, and we’re working on things. Armor skins are much more time/resource consuming and difficult as opposed to weapons.

Yet, we have all these useless town clothes and kitten hats you keep cranking out.

Okay, I laughed really hard at that picture in your original post. Like really hard. I was wondering when I would see a picture of that.

There are certain pieces of gear that are easier tan others. Hats and gloves are generally easier than a full suit of matching gear, since a full suit requires it for 3 different weight classes (light, medium, heavy). Fun hats and one-off gloves don’t require near as much resources.

Why create variations of the armor like you do with the shirts?

I mean we got 3 or 4 vests, just add and remove pieces on the chest items
We have 4 or 5 puffy shirts, I believe it can be done

Add metal pieces to a fancy dragon vest, and leather for medium, and cloth robe like qualities to a chest item.

Shazam, 3 items from one dragon vest design

Attachments:

(edited by Soulstar.7812)

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

How about stuff that isn’t so cutesy? I remember some really cool skins that were implemented in GW1!
It is pretty hard to look “bad kitten ” when your backpack is a pink quaggan.
I want more items that reflect the stark visual design that is the art of GW2.
The concept art holds that dark fantasy image that many love about the game. Nowhere in those images do I see quaggan backpacks and bows that shoot unicorns.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Dervo.9186

Dervo.9186

The armor/weapons sold by the merchants does not have a special skin. It is a stat combo only.

Are they only available temporary only during the event or permanent after the event ends?

They will be permanently available after the event ends. The karka queen world boss, Meta event, and economists are permanent content.

The armor/weapons sold by the merchants does not have a special skin. It is a stat combo only.

I hope you understand how increadibly disappointing that is for everyone. There was a lot of hype at the idea that there might actually be new skins after all this time, since we’ve gotten tons of new weapon skins but absolutely zero new armor skins and armor is what people really want.

Good to hear that you’re interested in new looks for chest/legs/etc. I’m fine waiting for good skins too, but in the meantime, I’d be a whole lot happier if we got the pvp masquerade armor in pve. I don’t know if you’re aware but the pvp version looks radically different from the pve version.

It makes me sad that I can’t wear the pvp version in pve because my necro is the one I’m going for a certain look with, and it would suit them perfectly. I’m sure this would take less time and effort than making new armor sets since the models are already in the game, you’d probably just need to make a new name for it (and probably change it to that name in pvp+add the pve masquerade armor in pvp). I don’t know, maybe that’s more work than I think?

Posted by: Paradoxo.1502

Paradoxo.1502

Are AN planning to make the new itens account bound / soulbound on use? Because i just bought one exotic staff with my engineer without reading… the only thing left is to destroy it now….

“no one helps no loves” – mighty meak.6387 2014

Posted by: ardav.8674

ardav.8674

This “new” armor and weapon skins are a clear evidence that those montly events you are calling Living Story, starting to degenerate really bad. More and more of my guildmates, including me, loose interest, or are tired of such way to deliver more content every month.
By all means take your time and deliver some quality events (that stays afterwards) let’s say every 3-4 months. Besides there are too many aspects in the main game that need revision and you should work more there, all you need to do is listen to your players, and answer more in this forum.
I am trying to deliver some constructive critisism here, if this game wouldn’t be great I wouldn’t even bother to write anything at all, but let’s face it, those events are tiresome, they have crappy finales, and now we also have crappy overexpensive armor and weapons.
Save this game, stop delivering too often, low quality events, and for everybody’s sake improve your RNG.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Except, like you guys always do, the confounded hats remove Charr horns/ears and Asuran ears. It’s like you guys don’t even remember that you have beast races in the game.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

You get the new skins from the supply box,thought all knew that …

That’s the problem. The “end game” is supposed to be aesthetic. Yet they make it completely RNG, and too rare.

Agreeed. Anet is stomping on the line for me. I don’t mind them making gear to sell in the boxes, but the fact that most of the art teams time on weapons is spent on paid gamble boxes is suspect in a game where the endgame is Aesthetic. kitten ing me off.

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

So whats the point of this armor merchant?

Getting cheap lvl 80 exotics, I guess?
It is no use for me really, since none of my characters need the new armor’s stats.

2 gold for a weapon with default weapon skin isn’t cheap though. You can get moonshank (dagger) for around that price, or razorstone, or even Kevin …
Kevin always makes me giggle: “It seems Kevin died …”

Didn’t compare armour prices

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

Posted by: Imaginos.3756

Imaginos.3756

We have all these useless town clothes and duerp hats you keep cranking out.

That is an excellent point. Stop cranking out town junk and work on armor skins that people can actually use and see all the time.

To expand on the Weapons that were released in Southsun and how they could be modified by an artist.

Previous Release

• Tiki Totem Shield Skin
  • Shark’s Tooth Sword Skin
  • Shark’s Tooth Axe Skin
  • Consortium Clipper Focus Skin

Suggested Model Modifications for New Weapons

• Re-release the ones above via reskinning the weapons on the vendor
  • Longbow: Duplicate axe, flip axe and attach handles so its a vertical mirror image. Slim the blade a tad and you have a bow shape. Perhaps add a curved section between the handles.
  • Shortbow: Shrink the longbow listed above down.
  • Greatsword: Scale up the 1h sword blade, add some ridges down the center and change the handgrip to be larger with another prong on it.
  • Dagger: Stretch the axe blade to be longer, add on sword hilt/handguard and shrink to dagger size.
  • Scepter: Take axe handle (remove blade) and attach shrunken sword blades to top in a + formation.
  • Mace: take scepter above and add a ball to the center of the + and a few spikes on top. Or modify the karka shell shoulder items with bigger spikes and put on axe haft.
  • Staff: Take axe handle and make it really long. Widen axe blade into a half circle and smoosh it to mostly flat against top of staff. Put Tiki shield face on other side with some particles in the eyes.
  • Hammer: Same deal as with staff but put the tiki face on the wide axe blade and smoosh the blade vertically into a more curved hammer shape, then copy it to the other side. Cap the top with a karka shell shoulder piece made into a more ball shape.
  • Pistol and Rifle: Reskin the “Tribal” ones in the wooden tiki theme and perhaps add a shrunken head on the front (bit more work here).

That pretty much covers the weapons with the least amount of work needed to be done by an artist by using current assets. That should be very doable and not take very long.

Medium and Heavy armor would still need to be done but there are some kinda tribal-ish looking armors already like gladiator for Heavy and that could be modified with the Light armor texture and a bit of mesh work to make a more tribal look and you could integrate the tiki town clothing hat in as the helmet/mask for it with the light armor mask/feathers.

These kinds of modifications take far less time then doing a suit from scratch and you know those base models already fit your current racial meshes.

THAT is the kind of thing players want to see and use.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I’m sure producing weapon skins are a lot more complicated than simply 3d modelling it. Considering I do 3d models myself, I’m going to give ANET a break on that point.

However, I do wish they selected better skins. Aureate weapon skins, for example. At least Aureate weapons have decent skins while still looking modest.

It’s almost as if they are just pressuring us to buy transmutation crystals.

Imaginos.3756

Are they only available temporary only during the event or permanent after the event ends?

They will be permanently available after the event ends. The karka queen world boss, Meta event, and economists are permanent content.

I hope you understand how increadibly disappointing that is for everyone. There was a lot of hype at the idea that there might actually be new skins after all this time, since we’ve gotten tons of new weapon skins but absolutely zero new armor skins and armor is what people really want.

Good to hear that you’re interested in new looks for chest/legs/etc. I’m fine waiting for good skins too, but in the meantime, I’d be a whole lot happier if we got the pvp masquerade armor in pve. I don’t know if you’re aware but the pvp version looks radically different from the pve version.

It makes me sad that I can’t wear the pvp version in pve because my necro is the one I’m going for a certain look with, and it would suit them perfectly. I’m sure this would take less time and effort than making new armor sets since the models are already in the game, you’d probably just need to make a new name for it (and probably change it to that name in pvp+add the pve masquerade armor in pvp). I don’t know, maybe that’s more work than I think?

I’ve bugged this a few times. The PvP armor mislabled as masquerade was originally called Tribal in beta and the first few weeks/month of release. After it was asked for on the forums as to where to find it in PvE the PvP locker received a change. The masquerade set that is crafted was removed and the Tribal set shifted over to take it’s name place.

The most logical explanation is that someone screwed up and meant to delete tribal but instead deleted masquerade and tribal shifted over into its name-place and thus you have the discrepancy.

The tribal armor is worn by the NPC Alastia Crow (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Alastia_Crow) and as you’ve mentioned and some of us have asked for here, we’d like that in PvE now please and Southsun is the perfect place for it to show up on the merchant.

Imaginos.3756

I’m sure producing weapon skins are a lot more complicated than simply 3d modelling it. Considering I do 3d models myself, I’m going to give ANET a break on that point.

However, I do wish they selected better skins. Aureate weapon skins, for example. At least Aureate weapons have decent skins while still looking modest.

It’s almost as if they are just pressuring us to buy transmutation crystals.

I’ve done 3d modelling myself too, so I’m not giving them a break They are all very doable.

Posted by: Dervo.9186

Dervo.9186

I’ve bugged this a few times. The PvP armor mislabled as masquerade was originally called Tribal in beta and the first few weeks/month of release. After it was asked for on the forums as to where to find it in PvE the PvP locker received a change. The masquerade set that is crafted was removed and the Tribal set shifted over to take it’s name place.

The most logical explanation is that someone screwed up and meant to delete tribal but instead deleted masquerade and tribal shifted over into its name-place and thus you have the discrepancy.

The tribal armor is worn by the NPC Alastia Crow (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Alastia_Crow) and as you’ve mentioned and some of us have asked for here, we’d like that in PvE now please and Southsun is the perfect place for it to show up on the merchant.

I actually didn’t know they changed the pvp locker, well at least I know what to call it now. (Always wondered if it’s name should be tribal or voodoo) Thanks for the info, and I agree that Southsun would be a good place for it to show up. I figured it would be good to mention because hey, it’s another armor set which has already been created and even someone from anet said they wanted more options in this regard.

Honestly, I’m a little worried that we won’t be seeing much in the way of full new armor sets, in gw1 most of them were introduced with new chapters… but with gw2 it sounds like they’re taking a wait and see approach in that regard. At least we know they’re working on more armor sets now, but for what kind of occasion would they release them?

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

What annoys me more than the skins is how limited the weapons and armors are. You cannot sell them, you cannot salvage them, you cannot throw them into the Mystic Forge, and they are Soulbound, not even Account bound.

In other words, they are mostly useless, from a mechanics point of view.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

While I always appreciate more options and ways of obtaining Exotic equipment, I have to say that the gold requirement for the Settler weapons/armor was an unpleasant surprise. (The fact that the Exotics have only Major runes/sigils is also a great disappointment.) Still, it’s fairly cheap for Exotic equipment, so I’m not too upset.

I’m also not too fussed about the lack of new skins for the weapons/armor, although I agree with some of the suggestions here that it would be nice for them to get a makeover with the Tribal skins and Shark Tooth weapon skins sometime down the track.

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

Then at least give us a wardrobe tab like in Guild Wars so we can use social wear for something other than just idling in LA. I’d probably buy one of those funky animals hats if I could actually wear it into battle.

Right now the armor variety is very lacking and it’s kind of a bummer.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

There’s a light, medium, and heavy set of armor in the PvP lockers (just before the Ascalonian catacombs set in each case) that has no PvE equivalent that I can find. How about making those accessible?

The town clothes may be easier, but you’ve reached saturation – we don’t need “easier”, we need some “useful” and some “good”.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Plz plz plz don’t rush your Artists on this!

I’d hate to see another instance like with CM’s Armor sets where the Light and Medium sets are just regal and beautiful, yet the Heavy set looks like salvage from some Sewer Pipes thrown together by a drunk Dredge…

Posted by: Gillian.1859

Gillian.1859

I just want to give a shout to the designers, if they are still reading this that I LOVE the new hats. Some may not care and find these useless, but just like the minis, I just find that items such as these make the game so much more “alive”. Not everyone here only thinks of DPS and showing off gears.

The hats are absolutely adorable and I picked two up without giving it a second thought. It is just unfortunate the Quaggan hat will not work with my Quaggan packpack because one is for Town and the other for Battle.

Presently, town clothes are a bit useless but I’d like to see how that evolves in the future. Maybe there’s a way to make them fun and interesting.

I share similar wish as other players wanting new skins but I’m willing to be patient.

Also, great work on the Southsun backpacks! Luv them!

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

There’s a light, medium, and heavy set of armor in the PvP lockers (just before the Ascalonian catacombs set in each case) that has no PvE equivalent that I can find. How about making those accessible?

The town clothes may be easier, but you’ve reached saturation – we don’t need “easier”, we need some “useful” and some “good”.

If the folks at Anet who design town clothes put as much time and effort into weapon and armor skins you might get more gem sales. Hell, I might even start buying gems again.

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”

Posted by: Antares.2586

Antares.2586

Here some positive suggestions to get out of this impasse :

1/ Make Settlers armor pieces cost 1G + 120 Karka Shells, for example.

Goal : a better deal for those who accumulated Shells during the events,
help purge the market from 100K unwanted shells…

2/ Make Settlers armor use the already existing Tribal skin.

Goal : As said before, fit the Island theme perfectly, making Settlers armor more attractive and rewardful for those who don’t have an interest in Settlers stats. With no supplementary armor design costs for Anet.

3/ Propose a Consortium Swimsuits in the Gem Store.
The models already exist, for most race/gender, as seen on the Pearl Island.

Goal : Make people rejoice, being able to wear the same suit as NPCs, and make new income for Anet.

All those suggestions come with a minimal cost for Arena.

If we keep this thread in a positive tone, perhaps we will be listened.
Remember, Consortium Sickle story demonstrates Arena is very capable of listening to the GW2 community.

(edited by Antares.2586)

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

“We’re aware that people want new armor skins. I want new ones as well, and we’re working on things. Armor skins are much more time/resource consuming and difficult as opposed to weapons.”

How about taking skin designs from GW1? I’d love to have my elite gladiator armor again, or the Defender (or Tower) shield skin, Draconic Aegis, Emblazoned Defender, Eternal shield, or Norn shield. And these are just the Prophecies skins. I’m hoping in the future, the Fire Islands open up and we get a chance for a Magmas shield drop. There are some beautiful designs from Factions and Nightfall as well, but I’d hope those might come with a future expansion, along with Celestial and Zodiac skins, and Vabbian armor.

Posted by: slycere.1296

slycere.1296

Why are the new armor and weapons not salvageable? Why can it be placed in the Mystic Forge? For an exotic costing 2g + karka shells + player effort (4 camps), and with the almost useless apothecary stats on them, this compares poorly with 2g exotics from the TP or even crafted Apothecary items.

Is this intended?

Shyld Slycere, Synful Slycere, Syn Slycere,
Bryndle Slycere, Bryl Slycere, Flytes Slycere,
Shyde Slycere – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

“We’re aware that people want new armor skins. I want new ones as well, and we’re working on things. Armor skins are much more time/resource consuming and difficult as opposed to weapons.”

How about taking skin designs from GW1? I’d love to have my elite gladiator armor again, or the Defender (or Tower) shield skin, Draconic Aegis, Emblazoned Defender, Eternal shield, or Norn shield. And these are just the Prophecies skins. I’m hoping in the future, the Fire Islands open up and we get a chance for a Magmas shield drop. There are some beautiful designs from Factions and Nightfall as well, but I’d hope those might come with a future expansion, along with Celestial and Zodiac skins, and Vabbian armor.

This. You have just one set of gw1 armor skins. You could add skins for all of the armor and weapons from gw1 to the gem store. I too am tired of the town clothes. I assume they sell and hordes of people are standing in town just to show them off. However, those of us that only bought enough to costume brawl would rather have clothes you can wear actually playing the game. Either give us activities in towns that you can wear town clothes doing or give us armor skins please. I would buy the pirate outfit for my asura and my charr IF they were armor skins.

Second, the suggestion for the tribal set to be the Southsun skin, that would be a good fix.

Third, please don’t limit the items to short term here today gone tomorrow content. It’s annoying and as I see it a waste of valuable time that could be spent on permanent items. Yes I have enjoyed the living story content but I wish more of it would be captured for long term fun.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

That’s fine and I understand that part of it… but why make them so expensive when the skin isn’t rare and the stat combo is marginally good at best? It should have been a straight trade for karka shells or AT LEAST have let us forge/salvage them.

Posted by: Groonz.7825

Groonz.7825

So would it be fair to come to this assumption. Essentially we will never (give or take timeframe) see new armor skins and such IF it is not part of the themed monthly content.

e.g. in Southsun, you’re so called resources, were put in only the new Southsun backpieces, F&F weapons/gauntlets and Southsun Scerlite weapons. Which gave no spare resources for the new statted items to have any skins of their own.

With that in mind, it would be fair to say in the next month there will be no new skins except for the designated content of the Dragon Bash backpieces, hat, waepons etc.

Meaning, if it’s not part of the themed content or BLT store items, you shouldn’t new skins or such that is on the side and not related to anything.
e.g. Making new Ogre themed armor skins that you can get from WvW ogre camp during a themed content month that is something totally different.

My only suggestion to this is that in the future when GW2 announces new updates/content and involves anything along the lines of new “armor” to specifically reword it to “new statted armor” which makes it more clear. Considering how we saw things evolve.

May 16, 2013: Welcome to Paradise
Attention brought to Kasmeer’s special armor she was wearing that screenshot.

Date after 28th (can’t recall as it was getting updated as time went on: A Guide to Last Stand at Southsun Cove
“special weapons and armor.” which gave off the impression that these new things would actually be something of worth and “special”. While in the end it was just “new statted armor” using old skins, which made it even worse being that these stats are quite different and I usually see people asking “what kind of builds would even use these stats?”, very limited classes and builds, (think it was bunker ranker and maybe an engi but besides that nothing).

Maybe it was just player hype or incorrect wording from Anet (I’ve yet to see anyone say the new items are “special” in a good way.) as well as how things came out.

Then again I’m also still blinded by the words of the pre-release days when Anet said that “What items you see NPC wearing, you can also wear them as well”.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

The only thing that seems logical, to me, to justify the fact that there has not been a single new armor skin released for players to acquire since the game was released (other than the Karka Shoulders and Flame & Frost Gloves that are identical for all armor weight classes), is that they must be working on a ‘DLC-like’ package of armor skins made available through the Gem Store around the 1-Year Anniversary of GW2.

I expect it to be similar to how the Digital Deluxe Edition is available in the Gem Store already; you can buy the pack and it will be like a permanent upgrade to your account. Perhaps purchasers will be mailed an account bound device that summons a merchant upon activation with the collection of skins available for taking that is similar to the Hall of Monuments Stone and merchant available there where you can select the soulbound skins to apply to your armor an unlimited number of times. This release could also be seen as a form of mini content expansion to appease those that expected a full expansion after one year.

The First Anniversary Armor Pack #1
Pack Includes 5 Sets (6-pieces each) of New Armor For Each Gender And Weight Type

5 Sets, 6 pieces each
Male/Female Styles
Light/Medium/Heavy Styles
Makes for 180 individual new armor items for incorporation into existing armor outfits.

Cost: 8,000 gems

That is the only justification for starving the playerbase of new armor aesthetics for a whole year that I can see as being logical from a business standpoint. I’m not saying I agree with that strategy, just that it is the only way I can make sense of their lack of introducing any new armor content since the game was released.

However, for many it will simply be too little, too late. I would also expect huge outrage on the forums at the cost for the armor pack. Though, even at a cost of 8,000 gems (acquirable through both gold and real money), that would only be about 266 gems per piece, for a total of 30 armor pieces. People are dropping 200+ gems per piece on Towns Clothes. I could see all the Towns Clothes releases as being a trial run for gauging the price for the armor pack were it broken down per piece. So don’t be surprised if it is 10,000 gems for one armor pack, being 333 gems per piece.

Though, 5 sets make 30 individual pieces, each piece with gender variations actually makes 60, then across three armor weights would mean a total of 180 potential new looks to add to armor outfits. 8-10k gems doesn’t sound quite as bad, as it would only be 44 gems each at 8k, 55 gems each at 10k for having those 180 new armor items. Though, understandably, not everyone would be buying the armor pack for all of the armors included; perhaps they only really like 2 of the armors in the pack, or just a few pieces of the 5 sets for a mix n’ match style. And that is if they only release one armor pack, let alone Armor Pack’s #2 and #3 at the same time…which I would see as unlikely as it could be counterproductive to maximizing sales, though releasing 2 or 3 packs at the same time would cause people to burn through their gold converting to gems and force them to have to buy gems with real money to acquire the packs or be forced to wait weeks or months until they get enough gold again to get another pack.

Gem Prices
8000 = 100.00 USD
A hundred bucks does sound like way too much initially, but when you consider 180 skin variations it actually works out to about 0.55 cents for each armor variation. And since I’m sure many of us have several characters of different genders and armor weight types, it would seem much more likely that most of those 180 armor items will be used and 55 cents each would not sound too unreasonable to most, especially when you can use gold to pay for some/all of those 8k gems. Don’t get me wrong, I’d probably not cough up 8k gems, personally, but 4-5k for a pack I’d consider.

Oh well. I have a lot of thoughts on this subject, and the lack of aesthetic armor choices being released is the primary subject for which my continuing patronage of GW2 is pivotal.

I’m not saying that this is what will happen and to expect it, just that this wouldn’t surprise me and would actually make sense, to me, for their lack of armor releases to date.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

This is of course perfectly reasonable, most of us players understand that creating these things take times and armour (30 iterations for 1 set) is particularly time consuming to create. What is confusing us is the choice of existing appearance. Why make your new armour (that you presumably want people to use) look like the most common and least useful armour? (as opposed to, say, the tribal pvp stuff or some other existing and underutilized appearance)

For that matter could we perhaps understand how the stats were chosen? What niche or demand do you imagine this particular combination will fulfill?

Really the thing that is confusing us is not that these items are not all new but why they are a combination of undesirable appearance and undesirable stats. A semi reasonable price perhaps, but also quite tricky to buy, especially after this event finishes and Southsun slows down again. Do you not want people to play with the new content you put in game? (Thats not me being snarky, I genuinely want to know. Time was spent on this stuff and if you have no intention of us playing with it I feel obliged to point out that your time would be better spent on other areas of the game – The entire southsun event from beginning to end would have run fine without these merchants and these items.)

PS If your goal was to increase Karka shell prices it has backfired spectacularly. As soon as people saw what the new items were like shell prices dropped by about 60%.

(edited by Webba.3071)

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

PS If your goal was to increase Karka shell prices it has backfired spectacularly. As soon as people saw what the new items were like shell prices dropped by about 60%.

Yep, that’s why I was saying earlier, the skins shouldn’t cost any money, just karka shells, start thinning those out

Posted by: dunnberry.2964

dunnberry.2964

Lol @ getting skins as endgame…actually they’ve said And hoped that WvW is the endgame, you know that PvP thing a lot of you don’t know about or are scared of

Borlis Pass
Asuran Engineer (Lost)

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

How about stuff that isn’t so cutesy? I remember some really cool skins that were implemented in GW1!
It is pretty hard to look “bad kitten ” when your backpack is a pink quaggan.
I want more items that reflect the stark visual design that is the art of GW2.
The concept art holds that dark fantasy image that many love about the game. Nowhere in those images do I see quaggan backpacks and bows that shoot unicorns.

See, one could argue that unicorn-bows and quaggan backpacks say “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a kitten” beyond anything else in the game.

Kinda like Superman wearing his underwear on the outside.

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

Well, lets face it.
Living Story is inconsistent in both the content and quality. we just had loads of mini solo/group dungeons and an entirely new dungeon for 2 weeks replaced with re-hashed content, a few farmable chests then a 1 room instanced “boss” mechanic the undermines the very reason you chose your profession and now yet another Meta-Event" that is more of the same re-hash.

A waiver of all rights to intellectual property in exchange for the assurance that it’s used in the way and for the reason it was supplied is not a hard document to supply or to agree to.

Good point regarding the armour styles, however I suspect there would be many of each type submitted so I guess it would be a case of choosing a light/med/heavy out of all those submitted.
Scaling armour to fit character models and balancing vertex wieghts isn’t rocket science and is no where near as time consuming as I would imagine Molton Facility was.

Living Story consistency suffers two issues. The first is it’s new. The second is each Story is being made by different teams. The people who did Flame and Frost are not the ones doing Last Stand at Southsun. Some of this will change as they get used to the concept and developing for it, some might not. With the #2 that’s always going to be the case.

As for IP waivers : Different places have diffent rules regarding what IP rights are transferable and how they are transferable. In most places, you have to have an explicit renunciation of the right, not implied (like via the EULA/TOS – that’s why the EULA/TOS only asks for an unlimited non-exclusive license). Heck, they’d probably want something phsyically signed.

And that doesn’t even cover the potentially damaging scenarios :

“Hey, that’s my work, IT WAS STOLEN!”
as well as
“My kid is a minor and doesn’t have the right to give up his/her rights!”

And the issue with armor styles isn’t simply coming up with the concept art, but building them. It’s still all that effort to create them/transfer them into a format the game can handle. And while a decent portion of the race and gender issues can probably be handled like you say, something don’t stretch nice even so.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

There are armour sets which are already in the game which could have been used. The tribal/feather light armour set that is only available in sPvP could have been used. There is a medium armour set which is exclusive to a personal story reward option (if you deleted it or chose wrong you can never get it, I believe it’s called Commando in the sPvP locker) which could have been used. Even some of the more obscure karma sets like Plated armour would have been preferable to using the default rare skin (which is also used for the rare versions). There are existing resources would could have been used to make these items more valuable, interesting or rewarding to players, especially when it comes to the weapons.

I appreciate the increased ease of obtaining this stat combination, but why didn’t the team use existing assets which are rarer or unobtainable in PvE?

Posted by: Mentalhead.5721

Mentalhead.5721

12g and 420 Veteran Karka for full exotic settler armor? No thank you.
Don’t get me wrong, I like that we can get exotics in this zone, but grinding Karka to get it just isn’t the way to do it.

There should be an alternative that lets you buy it for Karma, Skill points or some other currency.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Don’t get me wrong, I like that we can get exotics in this zone, but grinding Karka to get it just isn’t the way to do it.

It would be if the armor was worth buying. Too bad it’s not.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Mentalhead.5721

Mentalhead.5721

It would be if the armor was worth buying. Too bad it’s not.

I don’t know, I’m still against grinding one type of enemy to get one type of materials to exchange for armor. Feels bit limiting and grindy to me.

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

I believe this would have been the perfect chance for ANet to implement the Tribal set.

Currently this set is only available in PvP and seems to fit perfectly for an island themed armor set.

Now I believe only a Light version exists, but considering the fact that those gloves from the Molten Facility all shared the same model regardless of armor type; I guess it wouldn’t matter that much if the Light-Medium-Heavy were all the same.

Attachments:

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I believe this would have been the perfect chance for ANet to implement the Tribal set.

Currently this set is only available in PvP and seems to fit perfectly for an island themed armor set.

Now I believe only a Light version exists, but considering the fact that those gloves from the Molten Facility all shared the same model regardless of armor type; I guess it wouldn’t matter that much if the Light-Medium-Heavy were all the same.

I don’t PvP so I didn’t even know this set existed. I WANT that armor set!! Nay, I NEED that armor set.

Posted by: Marxo.3829

Marxo.3829

So sad there was no sclerite armor set to match the backpiece and weapons. I got all excited when I heard there was going to be an armor vendor for the final event. Was debating stockpiling karka shells – good thing I didn’t.

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

You have several sets of Medium & Light armor that are ONLY available in PvP & WvW. This is a total waste. You could knock the edge off people wanting new gear by making those available to PvE players.

Also, the Cultural Armor. Those should be earn-able by other races if you work your way up a faction system tied to older zones. That would give people a reason to play older zones & would be easier to work with those sets than have to make new ones.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I want a medium tribal armor set. :o

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

The karka queen world boss, Meta event, and economists are permanent content.

So the attacks on the settlements will also continue? Just as I was starting to find Southsun tolerable, it seems it has become somewhere I never want to go to again … again.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square