Unhappy about the strictly single player

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

This is how I understood this setup to be working, which creates a problem if you want to participate in the group dungeon.

I understand that unless you actually DO the single player dungeon, you will NOT be able to participate in the 5 person dungeon.

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

@Anet ,
Please tell me, why make the story dungeon a solo play experience?

Also the boss looks interesting but as far as i have seen and heard he’s nothing special…
You might want to give you’re bosses special attacks.. like in the flame and frost dungeon those were great.

love the look and feel of the content but would be nice if the main villian was different from every other boss mob around.

I’m pretty certain that Anet stated this was not going to end in a Dungeon, Hence This is NOT a Dungeon.

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

people are saying this should be like the Molten Factory should realize that a single team only can do so much in a limited time. The Flame and Frost team had the focus on the dungeon and the open world content was very poor. Not even a single permanent event if I remember correctly. The dungeon was great though.

Now Roberts team works mainly on open world content, new events on Southsun Cove and a new Meta-Event chain. They even created a Minigame and made a lot of improvements to achievement-rewards. They also listened to the people who wanted the story in a singleplayer mission (which they created) + he created a mission for a group. NO WAY they could have done a whole dungeon in this limited time too, grow up people!

I respect Robert + his team for listening to the people and trying to make the best they can to improve the content from patch to patch. Compared to the living story mission (Brahams & Roxxs mission to fight down wave after wave) this one was pretty good since you had to use your brain. People who can’t beat this content solo must either be new to the game or they should really learn how to play it. Yeah, I didn’t get it on the first try, but I learned from my mistakes, tried a few things until I got it and it worked pretty well. Thank you Anet for giving us challenging but not unfair content, this really means a lot to me.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: RileyTheRad.8542

RileyTheRad.8542

Single player dungeons aren’t dungeons. I’m really disappointed with the two new instances, they are short and the mechanics aren’t well designed.

The Molten Weapon Facility, now that was a dungeon. I was expecting some of similar quality, instead Arenanet catered to the people who complained about dungeons in the end no one wins.

Arenanet needs to decide what is a valid complaint and what isn’t.

The Molten Facility was amazing, but to be fair, that was the end result of what, a three month buildup? This was a month long event, so it’s not exactly fair to expect something of the same caliber from a third of the time.

Hoopa doopa.

Posted by: Danomeon.3201

Danomeon.3201

The Molten Facility was amazing, but to be fair, that was the end result of what, a three month buildup? This was a month long event, so it’s not exactly fair to expect something of the same caliber from a third of the time.

I think in the future ANET should make sure to specify how much content we’re going to be receiving prior to a release. If I had known that this was going to be a one-room, one-boss affair, I would have entered this update with my expectations at the proper level. However, since the only information that I had was that this would be a “story mode dungeon” like molten facility, I expected this to be on the same level of content.

I think it’s just an error in communication. The content isn’t bad if the player comes into it expecting a really, really short dungeon. But expecting molten facility inevitably makes this thing a disappointment.

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

this is annoying, and I believe its because of all those unsocial basement dwellers who cried when they had to group/talk/interact with other people in a MMO game to complete the last dungeon.

let’s learn from this and stick to group dungeons from now on…

Posted by: Danomeon.3201

Danomeon.3201

this is annoying, and I believe its because of all those unsocial basement dwellers who cried when they had to group/talk/interact with other people in a MMO game to complete the last dungeon.

I agree that group dungeons are better than solo dungeons and that I will also prefer these. That being said, why can’t there be both an option for group play AND solo play? (with more rewards for group play to give incentive to it, of course.)

Also, why the weird ad-hominem attacks on people who prefer solo to group play. And are you honestly labeling people as “unsocial basement dwellers” because they don’t like instanced player interactions in a video game? That seems a little silly.

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

It sounds like flexibility is what people are after. Having dungeon/instance content that scales with the party size from as small as one up to a max party size would be ideal. But if that isn’t feasible, then having the option to fill out a small party with dungeon henchmen might be an option. Either way, some people like solo, some people like a partner, and some people like a group/party. The point is that people should have the option to enjoy content the way they want. Forcing solo or forcing group appears to be what causes the angst on both sides of the issue.

Marcus Greythorne.6843

why the hate for a singleplayer mission? Too lazy to meet a challenge? Come on guys, you shouldn’t have made it to Orr if you can’t do this…

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

why the hate for a singleplayer mission? Too lazy to meet a challenge? Come on guys, you shouldn’t have made it to Orr if you can’t do this…

because when we play we play with our friends. Having to leave our friends and enter an instance alone is saddening.

Posted by: Paradox Xion.1038

Paradox Xion.1038

Ive always hated solo missions (note I do not mean story line missions). Hated them with a passion in GW1.

Really liked and enjoyed the Rox and Braham instances.

Didnt like Canach’s Lair when I first tried to do it on my necro. I found it very difficult and couldnt get through it. Switched to my warrior and used healing signet, dolyak signet, balanced stance, endure pain and signet of rage and got through it the first time with ease

(edited by Paradox Xion.1038)

Posted by: uberman.2619

uberman.2619

I think single player content has an audience (I am part of it), but the Canach instance was super lame. It was more like an interactive cut-scene than a dungeon.
I wouldn’t have minded so much, but I was promised an “all-new story dungeon,” and was left feeling disappointed.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

It sounds like flexibility is what people are after. Having dungeon/instance content that scales with the party size from as small as one up to a max party size would be ideal. But if that isn’t feasible, then having the option to fill out a small party with dungeon henchmen might be an option. Either way, some people like solo, some people like a partner, and some people like a group/party. The point is that people should have the option to enjoy content the way they want. Forcing solo or forcing group appears to be what causes the angst on both sides of the issue.

Flexibility ANet already demonstrated with 99% of the personal story. You could run that alone or you could bring one or more friends.

Marcus Greythorne.6843

because when we play we play with our friends. Having to leave our friends and enter an instance alone is saddening.

so you never do something alone? Kegbrawl? sPvP? Crab-Toss? Personal Story Missions when your friend isn’t online? I wished I had friends like that who are always there when I’m online.

I kind of like singleplayer content – To have something to do when I’m alone

Mirta.5029

so you never do something alone? Kegbrawl? sPvP? Crab-Toss? Personal Story Missions when your friend isn’t online? I wished I had friends like that who are always there when I’m online.

Well I have single player games that I can play when I’m not with friends. MMO is kind of a multiplayer thing.
Spvp – you can enter with friends,
Personal story – you can do this with friends.
All I’m saying is that nobody would have complained if this instance was set up like F and F instances before the last dungeon and personal story instances before Arah story mode – you can go alone or bring a friend. No forced grouping and no forced solo.

Lisa.6102

I like doing things myself, I like being able to achieve things on my own without having to rely on others to get me though, but thats just me. I don’t need someone to "complete me "

Lisa.6102

Well I have single player games that I can play when I’m not with friends. MMO is kind of a multiplayer thing.
Spvp – you can enter with friends,
Personal story – you can do this with friends.
All I’m saying is that nobody would have complained if this instance was set up like F and F instances before the last dungeon and personal story instances before Arah story mode – you can go alone or bring a friend. No forced grouping and no forced solo.

I was under the impression that it could be done as both?

“Robert Hrouda

Content Designer

A:

It won’t end in a dungeon. We have however included an instance that will open up that has a single player version, and a more difficult multiplayer version.

The ending is different ."

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/southsun/Will-Southsun-end-in-a-Group-Dungeon/page/7#post2110150

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

I remember people said if they changed the next LS story to a solo dungeon the solo dungeon people would be happy. Now the group dungeon people are upset. I see where this is going :P So I suppose next arc, we need a solo/group option to please everyone, and then the discussion will be “too hard/too easy”. I don’t think this arc is over yet.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Mirta.5029

I was under the impression that it could be done as both?

“Robert Hrouda

Content Designer

A:

It won’t end in a dungeon. We have however included an instance that will open up that has a single player version, and a more difficult multiplayer version.

The ending is different ."

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/southsun/Will-Southsun-end-in-a-Group-Dungeon/page/7#post2110150

1. Both of the dungeons give separate achievements
2. You can’t bring a friend into the solo dungeon
3. You can’t get into the group version unless everyone in your party have completed the solo dungeon
4. And I also believe that you can’t enter the group version solo either even though it would be easy to solo.

Marcus Greythorne.6843

3. You can’t get into the group version unless everyone in your party have completed the solo dungeon

are you sure about that? It’s not like that in the old dungeons

Mirta.5029

Yeah I’m pretty sure. This one seems to be completely different from the previous ones.

Posted by: Cristobal.8640

Cristobal.8640

Its not that there shouldn’t be single player dungeons, its that there shouldn’t be kittenty single player dungeons.

^ Fix censorship.

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

I like solo instances but not everyone else does and I understand that. The thing I like the most about solo dungeons is that it is a new experience with new puzzles and challenges for me to solve. In every group there is always one or more people that already know the solution and know the exact path. Also in groups you don’t get to watch the cut scenes because people always rage and will often quit the group because of the additional time watching the cut scenes add. I have the DM and have seen only a few of the cut scenes and have never solved a single group dungeon mechanic. I don’t think this is the intention of the developers. Top it of with a bunch of horrible players decked out in full Magic Find that have no clue how to play their class or come up with a great build…. Yes I much prefer going it alone. Soloing the mini dungeons have been the best PvE I’ve experienced in game aside from the Mad Kings Clock Tower and the other Jumping Puzzles. I love the jumping puzzles.

Again though I know that some people prefer to group. So I say let them group! Have all of the dungeons scale to the party size. Give all parties the same chance at the loot they desire. Let people play the way they want and earn the rewards they want. I don’t know why this is so difficult for developers or players to understand.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Until they do an entire rework of the dungeon system in this game, I appreciate the single player experience. It’s much better than the trinity-less dps fest all dungeons in this game are. Thank you Anet for letting everyone see the story this time, not just those that have infinite time to put up with broken mechanics

If they want a group experience, thats fine, as long as the rewards are of the same quality. Otherwise there is no point in keeping single player story lines/ dungeons around.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

They gave us single and multi-player options, which is better than just multi-player, but they continue to avoid scalable dungeon content, which is really the proper solution.

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

I don’t know why instanced content for small groups seems to be such an issue in MMOs. The only one I’ve seen do it right was Rift with Chronicles.

There was really no reason to hard cap it at one-player. You should have been able to bring friends like you can for the personal story. So what if it made it “too easy”? Those who wanted to retain a challenge would still be free to do it by themselves and those who usually play +1 like the OP and myself wouldn’t feel frustrated.

The sooner that MMO companies in general realize that there are actually group numbers between soloing and 5-mans the better off we’ll all be, hopefully.

Posted by: blackgoat.5172

blackgoat.5172

Wanna play solo? play a single player game. This is supposed to be an MMO for christ’s sake

/thread

Káge – 80 Thief / Asháman – 80 Elementalist
Project Mayhem A multigaming, PVx social guild on Dragonbrand
Dragonbrand Community Forums

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

Wanna play solo? play a single player game. This is supposed to be an MMO for christ’s sake

/thread

It’s not about ‘solo’ as much as it’s about scalable dungeons. In theory, a dungeon could be scaled for not only solo play but also for groups greater than 5 players.

Wouldn’t you be happy if yourself and any number of friends could run a dungeon together?

Posted by: blackgoat.5172

blackgoat.5172

/thread

It’s not about ‘solo’ as much as it’s about scalable dungeons. In theory, a dungeon could be scaled for not only solo play but also for groups greater than 5 players.

Wouldn’t you be happy if yourself and any number of friends could run a dungeon together?

I’d be happy if people would stop complaining about EVERYTHING to the point of anet making this easy mode game even easier

Káge – 80 Thief / Asháman – 80 Elementalist
Project Mayhem A multigaming, PVx social guild on Dragonbrand
Dragonbrand Community Forums

Posted by: punix.2816

punix.2816

Yeah I’m pretty sure. This one seems to be completely different from the previous ones.

me and a friend did the single user instance to get the light-foot achievement w/o holding someone else back, so we considered the single-user instance as a training mode rather than a story mode. then we continued to fight NULL in the exploration mode. couple hours later, some guildies came on, and we redid the NULL fight with them. they haven’t done any canach lair fights before that.
it proves, you don’t have to do/win the single user instance to join the exploration mode.

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

I agree that group dungeons are better than solo dungeons and that I will also prefer these. That being said, why can’t there be both an option for group play AND solo play? (with more rewards for group play to give incentive to it, of course.)

Also, why the weird ad-hominem attacks on people who prefer solo to group play. And are you honestly labeling people as “unsocial basement dwellers” because they don’t like instanced player interactions in a video game? That seems a little silly.

what I said was extremely silly, labeling all people that wanted to do it solo basement dwellers. Its more a reflection on how silly I find it that people can’t just join a group and experience a grouped dungeon event.

It also annoys me that because of this attitude of ‘people wanting to solo dungeons’, and that Anet is listening to them, its limiting things I can do in a group.

Its stretching the resources of Anet if they develop for both options. We limit the amount of content because Anet has to develop and balance dungeons for solo AND 5-man.

people should just join a group. how hard is it really to join a group? I have never come across and angry or impatient player yet. This isn’t the WoW toxic community where everyone chastises the other players for low dps, not keeping aggro, not healing enough etc. This community is full of helpful players.