We need culling back

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Orion Star.3651

Orion Star.3651

My framerate slows to a crawl while were doing scarlet events.

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Einsof.1457

Einsof.1457

Buy a new gfx card or tone down your settings! THIS IS AMAZING. love you anet!

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

Hopefully they’ll add a slider that will allow us to set the amount of culling. It’s really frustrating to have the game slowed simply because there’s so many people playing.

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: P One Gore.2304

P One Gore.2304

Why should people have to shell out money or play with sub-optimal settings when they didn’t have to before?

It may be amazing to you, but not for everyone.

Tarnished Coast ~ Crimson Illuminati
Human: Seton Stamos-Thief/Angeni Stamos-Ranger
Norn: Anska Warborn-Warrior

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

I thought there were going to be options for how detailed you want the character models to render?

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Tozza.1382

Tozza.1382

If this is the kind of idiotic content you people have in store for the future
I might as well just quit now.
Bring back culling and I might stay

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

The culling settings are universal between WvW and PvE, unfortunately they were inadvertently not re-labeled for this update.

The settings to change your culling are labeled as “WvW Character Limit” and “WvW Character Quality”.

Sorry for the confusion. We’ve made the appropriate teams aware of this.

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

So the responsible parties have been sacked is what you’re saying?
;)

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Kahzi.5467

Kahzi.5467

There is no consumer hardware on the market that can deliver 60 fps in a reasonable configuration (ie, not 4x SLI Titans) using high settings when many players are on screen. The game engine scales poorly. Rather then address this issue, or design content that doesn’t force hundreds of player to one area, we’re given stop gap measures like culling options. It’s sad.

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Tozza.1382

I changed the WvW settings to the Lowest and still saw nameplates everywhere which made me lag. If there is a way to turn that off that would be great.

@Kahzi: I agree 100%

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: P One Gore.2304

P One Gore.2304

The culling settings are universal between WvW and PvE, unfortunately they were inadvertently not re-labeled for this update.

The settings to change your culling are labeled as “WvW Character Limit” and “WvW Character Quality”.

Thanks so much for responding. Make sure we get this info to others that may need it

Tarnished Coast ~ Crimson Illuminati
Human: Seton Stamos-Thief/Angeni Stamos-Ranger
Norn: Anska Warborn-Warrior

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: TriggerSad.2597

TriggerSad.2597

I changed the WvW settings to the Lowest and still saw nameplates everywhere which made me lag. If there is a way to turn that off that would be great.

@Kahzi: I agree 100%

It’s in the Genral Options tab, and is located under the User Interface section.

IGN: Despada
Guild: I Can Outtweet A Centaur [TWIT]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TriggerSad

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

2 things:

-split WvW and PvE culling settings. For wvw i might want to have maximum possible FPS, thus sacrificing graphics. In PvE i might prefer to see more fancy and shiny stuff. Re-doing all the setting everytime hopping in and out of wvw is incredibly annoying.

-wasn’t culling a client-side thing? Well, put a check box for “enable – disable culling” – for pve manly. My pc is bad, but i preferred 1000 times seeing only a part of ppl but decently, rather then seeing now a crowd of stickmans (of a horrible pink color, btw).

Inb4 “buy a new rig or GPU” : not everybody is lucky enough to do so. And i played the game fine for 1 year, seeing things changed this way with no option even to keep old settings is incredibly annoying – as long as it’s a client side thing as they always said…

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Tozza.1382

It’s in the Genral Options tab, and is located under the User Interface section.

I have all nameplates disabled and still nameplates everywhere.
It’s very ugly

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Greyfur.1082

Greyfur.1082

I have all nameplates disabled and still nameplates everywhere.
It’s very ugly

Yep same thing even in towns I see all NPC names. Someting is off.

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Xirin.8593

Xirin.8593

-wasn’t culling a client-side thing?

No, culling has always been a server-side mechanism.

[AoN] All or Nothing

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

Why should people have to shell out money or play with sub-optimal settings when they didn’t have to before?

If you want amazing, buy a new computer. If you don’t, turn your settings down. You don’t get to drive a Tesla after buying a Honda. New games = require newer computers. No way would I ever expect my 466Mhz iBook (purchased sep 2000) to be able to play GW2, much less at highest settings.

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Havoc.4680

Havoc.4680

If you want amazing, buy a new computer. If you don’t, turn your settings down. You don’t get to drive a Corvette after buying a Honda. New games = require newer computers. No way would I ever expect my 466Mhz iBook (purchased sep 2000) to be able to play GW2, much less at highest settings.

^^This.

Putting limits on games to be accessable to low end computers hinders the creativity on the game developers themselves. If you are interested in putting limits on your games to look amazing on your system I would recommend getting an xbox or playstation

(edited by Havoc.4680)

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Saduiz.2458

Saduiz.2458

You don’t get to drive a Tesla after buying a Honda.

I’ve nerver see Honda transform itself after one year of Driving. We bought this game knowing the requirement but they change…

(edited by Saduiz.2458)

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Sonia.7910

Sonia.7910

Except that this isn’t a new game, it is one we may have invested hours, days and months playing and enjoying, and suddenly we can’t do it the same way because of an update. And you know, some of us can’t afford a new computer each time a patch is released.

Little lost clumsy thief in Tarnished Coast

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Kahzi.5467

Kahzi.5467

If you want amazing, buy a new computer. If you don’t, turn your settings down. You don’t get to drive a Tesla after buying a Honda. New games = require newer computers. No way would I ever expect my 466Mhz iBook (purchased sep 2000) to be able to play GW2, much less at highest settings.

See, you’ve just made a logical point that sounds great, until you take your own advice and actually try to run GW2 on high end hardware.

I have a good computer. My water-cooled i7 is clocked near 5 GHz. My video card is never 100% utilized. I get 20 fps in large WvW battles and dynamic events (like claw of jormag) on high settings. That’s not amazing. The problem, in many cases, is not the hardware people are using but that the software is poorly optimized and/or the developers have been overly ambitious.

If you can show me a reasonable consumer hardware setup that can achieve 60 fps @ 1080p in large WvW battles and dynamic events, on high settings with culling disabled, then you’re a time traveler from the future.

(edited by Kahzi.5467)

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

Hm, I’ve got quite a good computer. If not to say, quite amazing… though it’s already around one year old by now. Anyway; I’m playing at high settings and just participated in an invasion event in Blazeridge Steppes on an overflow map. I had around 25 fps in those huge crowds I think; though I’ve seen it at 17 fps once. However, it was still playable; meaning I was able to use skills and stuff. I remember how that wasn’t possible in a Shatterer event some months ago (though again, it was possible in more recent Shatterer-events… so I think they already improved that earlier). But I also think that Shatter-event back then had me drop to like 2-5 fps. Anyway; as it is, I don’t really care about those fps-drops (since 25 fps seem to still be playable).

Oh, and my normal framerate is around 80 fps.

Edit: Lol; looking through my screenshots, I noticed that Tricksy Trekksa is on one of them. xD

(edited by Saturn.6591)

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Magnetron.5823

Magnetron.5823

lol never turn it back, I didn’t even know that this many people could play in 1 map lol.

Born in the Desolation. Die for Desolation.

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Oenanthe.6549

Oenanthe.6549

I don’t know if its to do with the culling or if something else has changed, but before this patch my computer would run GW2 without problems, it may not have been on ultra high settings but it looked good enough. The problem isn’t with frame rate although that has dropped from about 35 in DR to about 25, the problem is the time it takes to render the image when I waypoint into DR. I end up standing on a blue screen with a few buildings and figures around for about 10 seconds, (that may not sound a lot but it seems it when I’m waiting). The point is it never happened before. I have changed the culling settings to the lowest number of characters shown and it is still as bad.

My husband also plays and he mentioned that he has had this problem before, his computer is about 18 months older than mine (making it about 3 years old) Unfortunately we can’t afford to buy 2 new high end computers every year and up until now mine at least has managed.

So I guess, after all that, the simple questions are, is it just the removal of culling, was the original setting even lower than ‘lowest’ or has something else changed, and if culling is the problem, can we have an even lower setting, back to how it was.

(Just an update, my husband has just logged on and it took about 20 seconds for DR to fill in for him)

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Never bring it back Anet, this is AMAZING!
Just tone your settings down or get a better PC.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

That isn’t even what the OP was talking about. Imagine for a moment if suddenly GW2 had forced txaa. Some people can’t run that, and they would request to be able to use fxaa, msaa, or just none.

What the person you quoted was asking for is a way to keep the culling the way it was for him. He liked the option, and would like it to stay that way. This in no way affects you, but instead okittennowledging that you wanted to be a kitten.

Because we both know you don’t have a clue what txaa even is I’m going to provide you with a link. That should explain things better.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/txaa

My husband also plays and he mentioned that he has had this problem before, his computer is about 18 months older than mine (making it about 3 years old) Unfortunately we can’t afford to buy 2 new high end computers every year and up until now mine at least has managed.

Not many people can, and that’s just one reason consoles have pretty much killed off pc gaming. With a pc you have to keep upgrading at least every year. With a console you don’t have to because you can play every new game. With the next generation already revealing they will have mmos, in addition to the plethora of other goodies, I don’t expect to see many pc exclusive games. Not that there are many pc exclusive games right now, even blizzard is trying to recruit the console players. That’s simply where the money is.

edit:
really I can’t put OF and Acknowledging next to each other without it getting replaced by kitten?

(edited by GSSBlunaspike.4153)

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: vic.7065

vic.7065

So much crying over nothing. Set your WvW options to “low” or “very low” depending on your CPU speed and you won’t have any problems.

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

Vic. The issue is that people are having problems even despite that.

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Mystic.5934

I don’t, thanks for the reading material. Especially after reading this, I want to do research into what all these settings actually do, as most of them when I change from low to high has very minimal effect. like, which ones are the most important.
GW2 is the most processor-intensive game I’ve seen.
It really would be nice to have a sliding bar for maximum number of characters you want to be on your screen at a time. I have a high-end computer that can do 30+fps in zerg battles, but I’d still like to only see the enemies and the 50 or so closest allies. just due to their weapon effects blocking me from seeing what is going on. or maybe a sliding bar for decreasing the presence of effects? yes please.

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Saduiz.2458

Saduiz.2458

Why lower the game quality of the majority of players in order to give a better quality at high performance PC owners?
Explain. (800 words)

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Oenanthe.6549

Oenanthe.6549

Well I may have solved the problem for myself at least, ignore DR. I’m not too bothered about the event, I have done the closing ceremony once. So back onto my alts and base out of Hoelbrak, I have just logged in there and it is dead, I only saw one other player around and it rendered perfectly. Looks like all my characters will have to buy warm clothes and move to the Shiverpeaks.

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Ha! I love it
can’t wait for people who have complained about empty maps to see this! whoot

Gunnar’s Hold

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Mystic.5934

Saduiz: the problem with culling wasn’t the quality of visuals, it was that you would be at a meta event and couldn’t attack the boss because it was culled out of existence. For areas where nothing was culled before there should be no difference between before no culling and after culling was removed (because the same number of things are displayed). the only difference is that now, when you would of been limited to 50 or so things on your screen you’re seeing the full 300. As I said, a sliding bar would of been preferred, or at least have it show all enemies before showing allies at all, but they’re taking it one step at a time and learning from people’s complaints.
122 words… 800 is too hard and you wouldn’t of read it anyways.

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Isn’t culling still around, except we have more control over it now? The nameplates everywhere is kinda odd though..

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Thanks for clarifying.

So, can the culling levels be different for each mode or do they both stay at the same level as the other when we modify it?

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

i still have good fpc whit all setings on ultra and high so trolls go away removing culling is awesome thing i can’t belive there are people unhapy whit this just typical human’s always what something stupid if u got kitten pc and i got mid range whit awesome fps around 60 all the time

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Pokora.2053

Pokora.2053

Only one thing to say… or rather quote. From the Guild Wars 2 requirement page:
“Due to potential changes, system requirements may change over time, and you may be required to upgrade your current system (or obtain a new system) to continue to play the game.”

I think it’s clear enough. When you were buying the game it was there. So you knew the requirements might change. And so now they did. I do get lower FPS on those huge events, sure. But I’d rather see all the ppl than see nothing (that often happened) and still stutter.

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: DontThrowEggsPls.4235

DontThrowEggsPls.4235

2 things:

-split WvW and PvE culling settings. For wvw i might want to have maximum possible FPS, thus sacrificing graphics. In PvE i might prefer to see more fancy and shiny stuff.

seconded.

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: imaginary.6241

imaginary.6241

The World turns around me and is flat …

They provided the perfect solution in my opinion.

You can have High Settings and Few people or Medium Settings and Medium People or Low Settings and All People and so on. Play with the Settings, and live with what works for you and your Rig.

They aren’t going to MAGICALLY optimize everything around you and your machine. It works better then ever before. Good job, thanks for such a clever solution.
And yes, you can even TUNE THE DISTANCE (!)

Klakk Bumm. One of the Leaders of TxS, the European Tequatl Slayer Alliance.
Click to apply for Daily EU Tequatl Kills here
My Guides: xPvP Mighty Stealth Bomber

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Which is a rather poor implementation of this feature, but anyway.

I wish we had a way to turn off other characters’ particle effects. Not skill animations, but effects like backpiece animations and weapon animations. Those make the game slower, and I definitely wouldn’t die if I didn’t see every that every warrior is using the Shatterer holographic wings.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Gwylen.3462

Gwylen.3462

Like others have said, just change your culling options to ‘low’

I personally really, really love that they’ve removed it, I had no idea that you could even have that many players on the map o-o I dare people to say GW2 is dead now, after seeing this

Gwylen (Aurora Glade [EU])

http://www.youtube.com/user/CharGwyl

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Daevinity Inspirata.2508

Daevinity Inspirata.2508

Please fix the NAMES.The player names are off within what used to be normal culling radius… beyond that radius ALL THE NAMES ARE ON! >.<

This is really bad and needs to be fixed.

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Kosai.7458

Kosai.7458

Please fix the NAMES.The player names are off within what used to be normal culling radius… beyond that radius ALL THE NAMES ARE ON! >.<

This is really bad and needs to be fixed.

yeah, it does look kinda weird and ruins a bit of gameplay visual experience, i dont mind that culling is off, its just that it’s not a sight that is really pretty to see

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: darkdomino.9578

darkdomino.9578

I want to see the developers log into this game RIGHT NOW and show one of these events with hundreds of people on screen, on high settings, running at 60FPS.

They can’t do it, because this game was never optimized. It doesn’t utilize the GPU effectively and has the same godawful framerate dips that it had in the beta. Ever notice how Anet never posts actual gameplay footage from their events? It’s because it’s a freaking slideshow and they know it. Don’t get me started on the Crown Pavilion either… I talked to people with water-cooled 8-core SLI rigs that were getting as low as 17 FPS (and lower) in some areas. Give me a freaking break…

Playing games at 25 FPS is not why we all built/bought gaming rigs. It’s flat out unacceptable… I don’t get this kind of poor performance on ANY other game I own. It’s sloppy programming plain and simple.

Fury of the Departed [Fury] – http://www.furyofthedeparted.net

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

So the responsible parties have been sacked is what you’re saying?
;)

LOL—love it.

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I’m only running a mid-grade system and this update is amazing ! The game runs sooo smooth now! Yes I get occasional lag spikes when tons of aoe goes off at once, but overall it’s really no worse than usual and I can actually see what’s going on now . If you’re having issues still, you might want to head over to the tech forums section and see some of the tips people have put up. One most notable is unparking processor cores. I just did that the other day and it made a 50% increase in performance for me. Plenty of other tips too in there. They made the right decision with removing culling and implementing this system. Yes there could be a few more tweaks like option to remove player particle effects (so that only yours shows up) and a few other things, but maybe in time those will be put in if they deem it necessary. Kudos to the Anet team. Ty!

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I have a relatively high end system and I am getting 15-30+ fps in LA with Highest/Highest settings.
Zerging in Chaos maps seems to be about 30 fps or so in a full server.

My issue with this patch is that no matter if I buy a “new” i9 7770k and 4x sli titans, the game will never ever run at 60fps.

It seems that Anet has chosen to fix the performance problem by moving the onus onto the end user rather than fix the blatant issue of a poorly coded client.

When tri-core CPUs come out that run at 6ghz I will rejoice as this will be the only CPU on earth that will run this game at a solid 60fps.

With processor manufacturers moving away from raw clocks to parallel cores there will never be hardware that can make this game run as it should, thus the onus falls back to Anet to recode their modified GW1 engine to use more than 3 heavy threads.

Culling placed the game a step back performance wise for most users and cries regarding performance will fall on deaf dev ears since they cannot do anything to rectify it.

I no longer consider GW2 a AAA game.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: nehezbegar.1065

nehezbegar.1065

@UP hmm I assure You if u saw as many ppl in for instace SWTOR, TERA, RIFT or any other “AAA” game as in GW2 right now Your pc would explode. Don’t give me the WoW example, cuz this game has its age, performace wise You can’t compare WoW(2004) and GW2 (2012).

There is no game on the market, except Crysis 3, that can fully utilize i7 processors. You can always try to switch off the hyper threading to rise the performance (but it isnt a lot, i tested it, it gave me like 4 fps more, but i need those 8 threads a lot to render my 3d scenes, so i have hyperthreading on all the time).

Tough ArenaNet should force the game client to utilize our GPUs more. My Gigabyte GHz 7970 never goes past 55%.

(edited by nehezbegar.1065)

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Kosai.7458

Kosai.7458

i clearly hope to see it as an option, rather than it being turned off completely for everyone.

dont make me quote xbox one’s mistakes chaps

We need culling back

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: nehezbegar.1065

nehezbegar.1065

@up u can tune the culling just change the WvWvW settings, it affects PvE too, they just didn’t change the tooltip.