About new armor skins and some feedback

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

The male version is freaking incredible. The female version is AWFUL. The only thing appealing about it is the boots, and they clip with almost everything. Also the fact that they’re stilettos is ridiculous. Incredible disappointment.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I think you guys are over exaggerating the situation of this one armor set. It isn’t that stripped down…

Though I do agree it is weird the female version doesn’t look much like the male version in this one set.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: VagrantArcanum.3875

VagrantArcanum.3875

Personally, I hate it when the male and female versions of the armor sets are dramatically different.

I’m all for diversity of options, but you should at least have the different versions in the same armor set look similar.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I think you guys are over exaggerating the situation of this one armor set. It isn’t that stripped down…

Though I do agree it is weird the female version doesn’t look much like the male version in this one set.

Compare the Phoenix armour on females and males. Compare Trickster’s armour on males a females. It’s a trend that some of the armours don’t match up. I think it’s a case of some of the armours being representative of a character’s armour (Phoenix is Kasmeer and Trixter is Marjory) and thus they aren’t created as a set but rather as armour for a specific character then having a second armour created later on so they can sell it in the store.

It’s kind of nice that we have different armours rather than having homogenised sets all the time. I really liked the new weapon skins added with the champion loot bags a while back. They really freed up creativity and allowed the designers to make a variety of different aesthetic weapons without being restricted to certain aesthetic sets. The weapons feel a lot more unique and flavourful as a result. If we can have that happening with armour I don’t have a problem with it.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

I don’t understand why the female version is like.. strips of cloth or something.. got all these bands on it. It looks pretty different as well.. which I don’t usually mind.

People are over exaggerating of course, but the armor does have oddness to it.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

Obviously this type of thread is entirely subjective, and not to be contrary, but I like the female version a lot better than the male version.

The male version looks like a random mix of heavy armor pieces from the PvP Locker, not to mention that the leg piece is clipping horribly with the kneecap on the boot in Dulfy’s screenshot. I would never pay 800 gems (what is that now? 8×6.5g, so 52g?) for that set.

Regardless of how much skin is/isn’t showing on the female armor, its textures are better (look at the snakeskin effect on her arms, which is nowhere on the male armor), the overall aesthetic is better put together (although I wish the gloves and shoulders were reversed to offset the asymmetry of the chest piece), and, other than the helmet, it doesn’t look like a blatant reskin. I honestly wish the male version looked more like the female set.

Side note: It’ll be interesting to see what the three sets look like on Charr, and see if they just got stretched out again.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Noviere.7309

Noviere.7309

I don’t understand why the female version is like.. strips of cloth or something.. got all these bands on it.

Yeah, I’m not even sure what that is supposed to be. It looks like braided rope, or a cable-knit sweater.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Kapax.3801

Kapax.3801

Would be nice if this set is like the nobleman`s or nightmare, from CM and TA, I mean, they are mixed.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Jongi.7612

Jongi.7612

You guys have to remember that male and female anatomy are different and stretching out the breastplate for breasts wouldnt look right and things like skulls or a design would look out of wack. The reason why the char and the asura are able to use the same models are because the faces are the only things that are really different between the males and females.

With all that said the visual difference of the male and female phanlax armor is too great and doesnt resemble one another. There are a lot of female armor that doesnt have skin exposed but even if skin is exposed it shouldnt mean you have to go away from the design of the armor due to anatomy. The shoulders can be identical which is probably the most visual thing when it comes to armor sets (at least to me). The gloves and boots can also be somewhat identical but again differences in anatomy come into play.

I think people complaining about a little skin showing are going a little overboard, just keep the armor looks similar between the genders.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: coffeeisyum.5297

coffeeisyum.5297

I used to be shocked and annoyed at the drastic differences designers create for a male version and female versions.

Now, I just sigh and move on because this is the epitome of my life: http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/051/a/2/girls_and_videogames_by_eleyonart-d5vmcve.jpg

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: lilz shorty.1879

lilz shorty.1879

The female version of the phalanx was so ugly and looked nothing like the icon, I thought it was bugged lol. Anyone else extremely disappointed.

“Morfeus X” || Team: Apex Prime
“Best Guardian NA”

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Yeah, severely disappointed. I was really excited when I saw the preview on a male, but pretty much everything that gives this armor uniqueness and individual flavor on the male was removed on the female version.

Jacket and scarf- Light armor already has that
Long Skirts- More than a dozen and counting…
Patterned Feathered gloves – Have that too
Paterend Knee high boots – Yep
Feathered epaulets – As well

The joker faces were what made this armor, there is no reason to call it trickster armor without them. You can practically recreate this armor with existing pieces, it is that generic.

(edited by Moderator)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

Same here. I was just searching the forums to see if it was a bug. The male version looks awesome. The female…. not so much.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

No one can say those two are the same armor.

They too often make male and female versions of armors look too different to each other.

I don’t care if it’s revealing or not, but the same set in two characters should always be be recognizable as the same set. These are not. They are just two different armor sets with the same name.

Meh.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

When I see the thing over the woman’s eye, I think of the Borg. I should get that and rename my female Norn, Seven of Nine.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

Frustrating.

If you want the armour to be revealing/impractical, make it revealing/impractical for both genders. If you want one revealing set and one not revealing, release 2 armour sets! It’s so bloody simple that I don’t understand why Anet keep making this same fundamental mistake.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

I like all of the new armor, except for the light female armor. I think it looks too much like all the medium armor that people complain about. At first, I thought the Medium and Light Female armors got accidentally switched in the store. At least there are now some heeled boots for Heavy and Medium armor skins.

Also, I totally agree with showing skin for both genders.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: RainbowSyrup.4130

RainbowSyrup.4130

yeah I wish the female one looked more like the male one, however I still like it.

’’I’m sad hanar can’t wear sweaters’’
-Grunt

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

This is the first thing that came to mind after seeing the female version. I could totally see my warrior doing this. Also I like the look of it, I only wish that it was separate set altogether and the female Phalanx actually looked like the male version.
(comics from the official WoW site if your wondering)

Attachments:

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

(edited by Zalani.9827)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Meriem.3504

Meriem.3504

Both the Aether Blade and this armor look like poop for female cloth.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: KorKor.9452

KorKor.9452

With the way Anet has handled all the female human armor in the game you really expected anything else other then this? Not sound rude but did you really expect anything else? Hell… have you seen Kasmer’s outfit? She’s blonde, wearing tons of makeup, a noble, thin, has a pink staff, and wears skimpy clothes.

If you roll a human female in this game expect to often look like a kitten out on the town. If you want to wear the cooler male armors you go Charr or Asura like I did.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: cassy.6920

cassy.6920

To extend my feelings regarding this topic, i feel that yes, regardless of how ugly these armours may look, i do feel like they should add it not via the gem store because really not only do most of the activities in the game lack incentive, but there hardly is any ‘fun’ way to get gold and everytime i play this game, it feels like im not playing the game the way im supposed to. I really hope theyd do something about it because im pretty sure some of us is getting fed up with everything new being in the gem store and other weapon skins being palette-swapped to those currently existing…

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Anet doesn’t care, buy those gems.
Oh how the mighty have fallen….

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Digivolution.8029

Digivolution.8029

all the armors look ugly af on a male norn. why is the gloves so big on a human male and small af on a male norn? logic.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I don’t pay a sub, so I’m fine shelling out some $ for an armor skin every once in a while.

However, as for the armor itself, I’m totally in love with the heavy skin on a human male…

but sadly my heavy armor character is a sylvari male and the shoulders are comically large when he wears that set for some reason.

Also, the heavy set is ridiculous on females, but I already have a thread on that, so I won’t go into it. >.>

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

My only complain about the new armor (especially the medium one) is THIS
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/44/1383066662-gw504.jpg

Can’t every stuff “connect” properly?

That issue with the krytan chestpiece exists when combined with many other pants armor pieces. There’s also the small (I believe it is backface culled) sideways gap where the chestpiece ends and pants armor begin.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Gotchaz.7865

Gotchaz.7865

I don’t mind them having exclusive gem armors and skins, just means not everyone will have them. I like that some are limited or seasonal. What makes me sad is the majority of armor skins are butt ugly and they should fire the designer. Also items like the unlimited mining pick should be account bound having every toon to have to purchase it is a money grab which isn’t cool. IMO

Beowulf-Defender of the JQ Realm and Warrior of the SF clan.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

I can definitely see how having a subscription would alleviate this problem but that is not the route that ArenaNet wanted to go down. It’s probably the smarter decision seeing as how the market is like right now with all the free to play games. The best option was to make you purchase the game and then have optional items for sale in a cash shop.

In the vast majority of games with cash shops, it’s impossible to buy cash shop items with in game money. Even in WoW, where you have to pay a subscription, you can’t buy cash shop items with in game gold. ArenaNet has given you this option that no one else has. These are vanity items and ultimately have no effect on your character’s development.

Perhaps the OP would care to enlighten ArenaNet on a better business model that would allow them to distribute these vanity items outside of the gem store and still manage to keep the game running.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Barabbas.8715

Barabbas.8715

I’d have to agree with this. All this is doing is alienating the majority of the playerbase. Don’t get me wrong, I think there are plenty of ways for Anet to make a quick buck here and there, but when EVERYTHING is in the cash shop, it just makes the whole thing feel shallow.

So you’re telling me that the majority of the player base can’t spare $10 for an armor set? lol.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

This is the first thing that came to mind after seeing the female version. I could totally see my warrior doing this. Also I like the look of it, I only wish that it was separate set altogether and the female Phalanx actually looked like the male version.
(comics from the official WoW site if your wondering)

Haha, awesome comic. =)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I’d have to agree with this. All this is doing is alienating the majority of the playerbase. Don’t get me wrong, I think there are plenty of ways for Anet to make a quick buck here and there, but when EVERYTHING is in the cash shop, it just makes the whole thing feel shallow.

So you’re telling me that the majority of the player base can’t spare $10 for an armor set? lol.

Anet wants you to spend that $10. I want more armour skins that need to be earned and not just bought.
The armour isn’t even close to being ad bad as the rng weapons lol I doubt you get one with that $10.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Backward Sass.6791

Backward Sass.6791

Has there been any word on this? I want that heavy armor so bad on my female Guardian. =oP

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Barabbas.8715

Barabbas.8715

Anet wants you to spend that $10. I want more armour skins that need to be earned and not just bought.
The armour isn’t even close to being ad bad as the rng weapons lol I doubt you get one with that $10.

Yeah RNG sucks. I’ve never gotten suckered into that bs.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: cassy.6920

cassy.6920

If you hadn’t noticed, ALL the new armour sets have only been in the gem store and this doesn’t apply to almost ANY good MMORPGs after running a successful 1+year. I would spare $10 for an armour just to support the game but so far…. The game in itself hasn’t been really improved considering there’s so much temporary content with no decent loot so far ive seen. And considering the game has a currency conversion system implemented it pretty much does convince most people not to spend their money and rather to farm gold(which is a tedious and repetitive meta). Again, this is just my opinion.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

Sounds like you need L’Oréal for those hairs you are splitting.

I had a look through the heavy female armour and I can’t understand what people are talking about.

http://www.gw2armor.com/human/female/heavy_list.php

Most of those seem to be fully covering the body. The balance of full body coverage to armour showing skin seems to be in favour of the full body coverage. This new set seems to be offering some much needed variety.

That being said I do have critique for the new set(s): They’re once again steampunk to the max. Can we have just one set that doesn’t sport powergloves and isn’t covered in goggles pretty please?

I want female heavy armor that does not look stupid in either the venue of not leaving horribly impractical coverage gaps; nor looks stupidly ornate with some weird kitten overly fantastic theme that prevents mixing and matching; nor has a model that looks like badly proportioned crap in the case of remainder of the mundane armors.

A female version of the phalanx armor that was closer to the male one would have satisfied all of these conditions, easily.

But no, we got this god awful parade armor instead.

(edited by Moderator)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

After checking out the female Trickster Armor with new dye colors, I’ve come to really like it as well.

Also, The new heavy and medium armors are great because they mix well with several of the other heavy sets. So, if you don’t like the Phalanx leggings because of the exposed skin, they can be replaced with another pair of pants for an awesome new look. I like that we’re starting to get some variety pouring in.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

I agree, I was very disappointed by this. Just more double standards and harm to women -.- why am I even surprised?

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

I think the new both male and female armor looks stylish.
What is the problem do you want female armor to look exactly like male armor?
How is it a stripped out cleavage version just because it shows the hips ?
So what do you want , burqa ? I dont get it.

How do you assume that just because we don’t want a woman with boobs hanging out all over the place, we must want a burqa? We don’t want burqa’s, we’re just sick and tired of female characters being turned into sex objects and treated as playthings for men—instead of actual soldiers who need protection.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

female phalanx is awesome except the helmet.

should have made it valkyrie wing helm with 2 wings coming out like the male version but make it an open helm so i can see my gorgeous character. and show my hair~!

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

I wanted this armor for my Guardian too. FINALLY, a helmet I like! Then I preview the female version and…

Really? Are we really letting horny boys design armor now or do we women just have iron skin on our boobs and thighs that men don’t have and somehow need less protection? Why is this 75% of female armors in the game while 75% of male armors are wholly covering or covering in a way that makes sense? I don’t want a burqa but what sense does it make for a heavy plated female warrior to have an open spot in her armor for cleavage or to be missing leg guards? It’s like giving a heavy plated male warrior a thong and letting his butt hang out.. then having most of the male armors share that design.

And SURPRISE, female Charr get the MALE versions of these skins. The one race you’d want to have armor that showed off their fur patterns and they apparently aren’t sexist enough for it. Same with the Asura. Is it just a non-human trait to respect women as capable warriors and not eyecandy for men?

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I guess if they just made them look the same as males we would then have just as many people complaining “Anet hates females because this armour makes us look like a guy!”

They just can’t win….

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

in Tower of Nightmares

Aerlen.5326

I guess if they just made them look the same as males we would then have just as many people complaining “Anet hates females because this armour makes us look like a guy!”

They just can’t win….

No, that’s not what people would be saying. No one says a company “hates” females when they don’t make them into male sex objects.

They’d be saying “This armor looks great on my Guardian! Thanks for no bikini armor this time, Anet!” judging by the majority of replies here.

And this is from someone who has her Guardian in a combo of T2 and T3 human cultural because it’s one of the few wholly covering armors that I liked.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Ashariel.8490

Ashariel.8490

Really? Are we really letting horny boys design armor now or do we women just have iron skin on our boobs and thighs that men don’t have and somehow need less protection? Why is this 75% of female armors in the game while 75% of male armors are wholly covering or covering in a way that makes sense?

Yeah, I’m gonna ask you to show me your 75% revealing female armor here: http://www.gw2armor.com/human/female/heavy_list.php

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

They just can’t win….

No, that’s not what people would be saying. No one says a company “hates” females when they don’t make them into male sex objects.

They’d be saying “This armor looks great on my Guardian! Thanks for no bikini armor this time, Anet!” judging by the majority of replies here.

And this is from someone who has her Guardian in a combo of T2 and T3 human cultural because it’s one of the few wholly covering armors that I liked.

Oh I’m sure there would be tons complaining, I’ve seen it before.
Don’t get me wrong I am NOT against the complaints here. If anything ALL female armours should have 2 options. The exact same male version look or whatever else they may decide to add as a more female looking choice if people want to look that way.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

in Tower of Nightmares

Aerlen.5326

Really? Are we really letting horny boys design armor now or do we women just have iron skin on our boobs and thighs that men don’t have and somehow need less protection? Why is this 75% of female armors in the game while 75% of male armors are wholly covering or covering in a way that makes sense?

Yeah, I’m gonna ask you to show me your 75% revealing female armor here: http://www.gw2armor.com/human/female/heavy_list.php

Just from the heavy at level 80? You do realize I meant all female armors for all classes, right? But on the subject – all three orders have awful armor for women – http://www.gw2armor.com/human/male/heavy_list.php Look at the Vigil male armor and please explain to me why the female has a boob window.

http://www.gw2armor.com/human/female/light_list.php – You try this and please point out to me which armors looks completely ridiculous. Also, have you seen what female light armor classes start the game in and the first few armors they get a choice of compared to the men?

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

in Tower of Nightmares

Aerlen.5326

They just can’t win….

Oh I’m sure there would be tons complaining, I’ve seen it before.
Don’t get me wrong I am NOT against the complaints here. If anything ALL female armours should have 2 options. The exact same male version look or whatever else they may decide to add as a more female looking choice if people want to look that way.

I’d go for that if the male armors had the same options – let’s see some “sexy” and impractical male armors.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Ashariel.8490

Ashariel.8490

From the way you are saying it, you seem to imply the game shouldn’t have skimpy outfits at all.

But hey, I was just saying, revealing armors for female characters is far from being 75%, or even 50%. You may as well check for yourself in the pvp locker if you wish. If you see many players wearing them in game compared to all the other sets however, well that just shows that’s what the type of armor the playerbase wants.

(edited by Moderator)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Tentacle Love.3412

Tentacle Love.3412

I disagree with the opinion that it looks bad, I think the male design is far lazier.

If you’re looking for realism, go try wearing that suit of armor and doing a lap around your backyard. Then try jumping up the side of a hill, running a few marathons, eating a steak dinner, getting into a bunch of fights, repairing a cannon, mining a few random rocks, chopping down a few trees, and then WAKING UP.

The suits of armor that you’ve grown to be accustomed to in fantasy games are DUMB. Why are they dumb? Because in real life, those suits of armor were not worn for longer than a few hours at a time, and they were largely ceremonial at the time, only used to designate persons of noble birth so that a peasant would not make the mistake of accidentally killing someone above their station (which would result in their family’s extermination or debt-slavery).

it may seem like the male armor looks more realistic, but it’s actually the LEAST realistic of the two armor looks. the female armor offers some protection, clearly has less than half the mass of the other, allows for the wearer to maneuver and exercise agility, and still protects the legs and the hamstrings (which is the first and most important target). The male version does all the work for the opponent, slowing you down to a snail’s pace and exhausting you before the fighting even begins.

As to the aesthetics, well that’s all on you. You have other options available to you.

Honestly I think that even with the “wizard did it” approach, it still looks lame on the male side, because you obscure all the nice details of your character’s face, and well, you end up with a genderless, nameless silver blob. I mean if you want to be some sort of generic soldier, that’s cool, but it’s not for everyone.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Sensei.7420

Sensei.7420

I’d really love to have that male armor on my female human… :/