Would You Fight To Reclaim Ascalon?

in Human

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

You need to learn to read between the lines and view the story not as a flowchart of variables, but rather a painting.

Normally, I’d agree. But to go from discussing lorewise how things might be possible and then come up against “oh it’s that way because the writers wanted it that way” . . . where do you go from there? There’s no way to actually argue against that, and it is by far one of the dirtier tricks of trying to debate game lore at all.

If you want to treat it as a game, then that’s fine. If you want to treat the story as its own entity, that’s fine. Please do not flip between the two because you want to “win”. It’s the equivalent of raising your hand in history class and going “but how do we know the people who wrote this stuff down didn’t lie or were just wrong?”. There may be a valid point, but it shifts the discussion entirely to a different line.

In other words, it’s not enough to simply take the story as a series of related events with concrete facts. You have to try and get inside the authors’ minds and figure out not just what you see, and not even only what they want you to see. But also what they are unwittingly giving away as pieces of their personality attach themselves to the story.

Mmm, I can see your point. However.

Trying to psychoanalyze the writers through their writing isn’t exactly fair, and I’ve actually run across authors who can write considerably heinous events . . . and it’s just not a personal matter to them. Some authors (Spider Robinson) are incredibly simple this way. Some others are not.

You’ve got to be careful trying to do this sort of thing you describe, because you are essentially trying to put together a puzzle from a box of pieces with no guide and there may be pieces of other puzzles mixed in there which fit together but don’t go together at all.

For instance, take Jeff Grubb.

I’d be interested in what you saw based on his other works, such as The Finder’s Stone Trilogy or Liberty’s Crusade. And how they fit into the thing you’re looking at in Guild Wars 2. Also I’d say there’s more of The Brothers’ War going on between Inquest and the rest of the asura. If my local libraries growing up had more of his work I’d be more familiar.

Instead I got Zelazny.

My point is, you can’t separate the author’s mind from the finished product.

No? You really should. While writers don’t write anything in a vacuum, it’s not always something personal to them. For instance, I’m relatively sure George R.R. Martin doesn’t have it in for blonde people but one could definitely construct a case he really thinks they’re not nice people at all. Let alone make a paper on what he thinks of women . . .

Saying that, I’m definitely sure there’s term papers being written (or been written) about either topic. But combing through all the stories he wrote, and analysis being turned on all of his “A Song of Ice and Fire” works . . . it’s too likely a conclusive view of his opinions on either matter would be made erroneously.

(Mostly because the people who are writing/ have written said papers are not Mr. Martin.)

And since there’s always little information on who exactly writes what parts, we have to try and gird what the author is trying to convey through what we experience. So no, I don’t see anything wrong with philosophizing on what the intentions of the story originally were, meta-gaming or not. It’s actually one of the best ways to try and get at the truth of a thing.

But you also can’t saddle any particular author with any single thing if you don’t know who did what or who contributed what. You can guess but unless they say outright “X was my work”, there’s no guarantee of getting that right. And even if so, trying to extend this for getting into their heads seems . . . like a ton of effort to arrive at a conclusion which is less likely to be correct than it is to be true.

Regardless of all this? Back to why I started in on this in the first place:

If someone responds to a topic with some even half-reasoned explanations about, for instance, why the norn do or don’t do X and a counter-argument is “because the game devs did it that way” . . . what’s the point in analyzing the lore at all if it can be basically swept aside?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Human

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Lastly.

When they write things so they can proceed forward with a concept by filling in a void of data, that form of retroactive continuity can’t realistically be said to be false. Why? Because there’s nothing to compare it to, as there was nothing there to begin with.

Shall we try an example?

A writer in one book sets it in the Kingdoms of the West, rarely talks about the Wondrous Kingdoms in the East. A few facts are peppered through here and there, recited with the utmost confidence in their veracity, about how the Eastern realm people behave.

In the next trilogy he explores them and talks about the Degraded Kingdoms of the West without actually really showing them. But we start getting facts, like before, which we know from having read the other book are completely at odds. Furthermore, some of those “facts” about the Eastern lands are shown to be myths held by people who either never visited, or are reasoning from outdated sources.

Is this bad, sloppy, inexcusable writing?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Human

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Dust
I don’t see how it’s situational when there’s only one way to look at it. That’s like saying the current situation with gravity is that it pulls things down. Doesn’t make sense.
How is it a petty land dispute? Ascalon is their home, not the Charr’s…until they wrote that in recently to legitimize them staying there at all of course. You’ve got to be really patronizing not to see that.
You’re right, the Charr were never portrayed as noble. But they certainly are now.

Whether something is inherent or situational has nothing to do with how many situations we have available to us. Inherent means that that is the empirical quality of the thing no matter how you look at it. Situation means that the quality of the thing changes with the point of view. If you only have one point of view, yet another point of view exists, even if it’s not available to you, then it is still situational.

it’s petty because the entirety of Ascalon is not their home. Their home is Ebonhawke. But that has nothing to do with the fourth wall of when that lore was added. It’s either a lore conversation or an artistic integrity conversation. Mixing the two will never yield any result except to endlessly draw things out by picking and chooseing only what supports one side. But what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

Edit: Lore: ascalon belonged to charr before humanity. Before any present day charr were born. No human alive belonged to an ascalon that was bigger then ebonhawke.

Artistic intention: “But that was added later” True, the details were added later. But what has always been the writers intention from the very beginning is that humanity “took up residence in lands that did not belong to [them]”

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

in Human

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Rurik left because he understood how hopeless the situation in Ascalon was.

“I am not afraid, father. I have seen them in battle. Rin has been destroyed! It would be wise to escape while we can. We should make for Kryta and rebuild our strength. Not wait here for death.”
“People of Rin! Your king will lead you to death. If you wish to see better days, if you wish to live, then leave the beasts behind and follow me over the Shiverpeaks. We make for Kryta and a new life, free of the Charr.”

Certainly doesn’t sound like he truly intended to come back in the short term, if ever.

Maybe not in the short term, be he most definitely had no intention of allowing the Charr to get away with attempted genocide and effectively nuking his kingdom. “Rebuild our strength”. What would you rebuild your strength for if not an assault?

He said that before his father showed his foolish stubbornness. Rurik was well loved by the people, why would he lie to them about a life free from the charr in Kryta? I could buy he maybe wanted to return to Ascalon with purely an army and no civilians, but not for a while.

The Charr “betrayed” the Shaman caste/flame Legion because the Flame legion relied on the Titans for their power, and once the titans were defeated it showed the other ones that the gods weren’t really gods. Then they tried destroyers as gods, and it failed. The rest of the Charr ‘betrayed’ them because the oppression FAILED.

You speak of the Charr as if they are heroes. In truth it is simply one form of tyranny in favor of another. Free expression, free speech, and all forms of individuality are stifled in the Charr culture. You do as you are ordered to do or you die. How is that any different from the Flame Legion? Oh, right, they lied about their gods. Nice way to excuse insubordination – Charr terminology, not mine. It doesn’t matter if their gods were fake or not. All the Charr want was the power to overthrow humanity and that is what they got. Effectively, the Charr made a deal with a proverbial devil. All their woes they brought on themselves.

They weren’t heroes back then, hell a chunk aren’t NOW. I’m simply pointing out your description of them merely as “using” a leader until they have done their task is false. They overthrew the Shamans because they were oppressed, and the false gods defeated before them (Titans we killed infront of Charr in Proph. We killed the destroyers infront of a decent crowd of them in EOTN.) Not “They had used up their usefulness.”

Queen Jennah isn’t snapping her fingers and saying “All friends now”. I think her placing the Fallen Angels is simply a smart reinforcement of the Ebon Vanguard, and keeping her investments in repairing that Asura gate as well as supplying the city are secure. Because she was the one who paid for it. Hell, the ones who are more wanting to “snap fingers get it over with” are the Charr, especially the Iron Legion rep.

Then why the hey didn’t she just transfer solders to the Ebon Vanguard? What she did was stupid because the Fallen Angels forced the Vanguard out of their own barracks. What kind of message does that send? “You lesser soldiers who have seen more combat than the lot of us put together had best clear out. The REAL heroes are here! Shoo!”

“We’re an arm of the Krytan Seraph, stationed here to guard the queen’s interests in Ebonhawke.”

They are there to help the Vanguard enforce the peace, AND to make sure the Queen’s interests and funding are secure.

in Human

Kalavier.1097

No. Back then we had a limited point of view, to Ascalonians, all Charr were the same. In EOTN we finally got to see more of their culture, THEIR side. We learned there was a distinct “Flame Legion”/“Shaman” caste which basically was oppressing the rest.

Nope. It was the authors point of view, not necessarily the humans. Had the original authors given some semblance of caste domination, or even castes for that matter, then you’d have a point. In all of Proph there is zero indication of this.

And how many times in proph did we get any sort of look into Charr culture? NONE. We could easily see however, how Charr casters (specifically eles and monks) held themselves upright, compared to the rest who where hunched over. A very clear, “We are better and prouder” if you ask me.

Yes, the White Mantle likely had not so nice motives of trying to get more land/followers. But see how they openly accepted the refugees into it, I doubt they’d slam a lot of strings and “rules” to it. Either way, he let his blind hate of Krytans force any possible allies away. Also, that was all BEFORE, long before the flameseeker proph started happening. Nobody would’ve known that as of that time.

The Mantle had strings attached even for the PC, they wanted you to gather Chosen for them for one thing. It’s a short leap to think they would scour the refugees for more, or force them to help. And it was like 2 years before dude, the Mursaat arrived right after the Searing.

After the heroes helped the White Mantle, and IIRC, this was after they had saved the leader and basically been accepted into the White Mantle ranks. It was NEVER a “Oh, we welcome you to Kryta, IF you do this.”

The King HATES Krytans. Krytan goes to him to ask for aid. She is NEVER heard from again. It’s not a stretch to see how she may have been imprisoned or murdered. If you bothered to play GW1, you’d note his extreme hate of Kryta, so why do you find it so hard to believe?

Well the guild wars were over, and he didn’t imprison and murder that Mantle rep outside the city did he? It’s hard to believe because he had no reason to, Adelbern doesn’t just kill Krytans on sight…that’s a silly thought.

Said rep also never went into the city, and as I recall he was never even granted a meeting with the king OR the prince. Now compare that to later when the King has not only lost more of his people, but also knows of his son’s death… (Which we know he learned of the death either after or during the trek to Kryta).

EOTN, IS PART OF GW1 LORE.

No it’s not. The sooner you realize that, the better off you’ll be.

Let’s see… to play EOTN, I must load up GW1. Therefore, it is GW1 lore, and not GW2 lore.

Adelbern was unstable post searing. When Rurik left Ascalon, I felt he KNEW he would never return. It was a barren hellhole. There is no point going back there. Leave it to the charr.

It was out of character for Rurik to lose faith in Ascalon so quick after Rin, he was a more avid Charr hater than even Adelbern…and was known for never giving up. The authors needed a storyline reason to get the PC over the Shiverpeaks, and they chose the King/Prince argument to do that. It’s the same idea with that crazy Meerak. The story wouldn’t make much sense if the PC just suddenly decided to up and leave his home in the middle of a war. And they couldn’t simply use “to go look for help” because the linear storyline never returned to Ascalon. It had to be a solid farewell. Rurik was the obvious choice because he’s with you throughout it all, almost a friend. They couldn’t have the king do it, and it would have been a little flat if they used a minor player like Devona or Barradin.
The point in going back to that “barren hellhole” as you put it, is the same reason the GW2 authors use for the Charr to occupy it. It’s their home.

Rurik also had just traveled deeper into Charr held land then anybody had for a few years, and also just saw the effect the “Legendary” stormcaller had on the battlefield. Yes, it tipped the favor but it didn’t slaughter the charr in a righteous thunderstorm. At first yes, he was more so “Let’s gather our strength”. Then he saw how stubborn his father was and decided to leave Ascalon behind.

in Human

Posted by: bullyrook.2165

bullyrook.2165

He said that before his father showed his foolish stubbornness. Rurik was well loved by the people, why would he lie to them about a life free from the charr in Kryta? I could buy he maybe wanted to return to Ascalon with purely an army and no civilians, but not for a while.

Agreed. Not for awhile. But he had every intention of carrying on this blood feud until the last Charr’s dying breath. And considering that the Charr also attempted to invade Kryta as well, the Prince could only promise so much in terms of safety. He was indeed hoping to build an army and return in full force.

They weren’t heroes back then, hell a chunk aren’t NOW. I’m simply pointing out your description of them merely as “using” a leader until they have done their task is false. They overthrew the Shamans because they were oppressed, and the false gods defeated before them (Titans we killed infront of Charr in Proph. We killed the destroyers infront of a decent crowd of them in EOTN.) Not “They had used up their usefulness.”

No, I was saying that the flame legion lived up to their end of the bargain. They gave the Charr the means to overcome the Humans. When the Flame Legion’s gods were killed, it made their ideals look weak. And according to the Charr, the weak are not fit to rule. So they got rid of them. If the Flame Legion was able to find a “true” god capable of showing its might against all the Legions, the Charr would eventually fall back in line. Why? Because they would be the strongest.

“We’re an arm of the Krytan Seraph, stationed here to guard the queen’s interests in Ebonhawke.”

They are there to help the Vanguard enforce the peace, AND to make sure the Queen’s interests and funding are secure.

Need I remind you that Ebonhawk is rich in mineral wealth? They have been buying that Asura gate as much as the Queen has been funding them. That is why it is called a trade route. The Fallen Angels were not placed there until mention of the treaty. The treaty is the only reason they are there.

in Human

Kalavier.1097

Agreed. Not for awhile. But he had every intention of carrying on this blood feud until the last Charr’s dying breath. And considering that the Charr also attempted to invade Kryta as well, the Prince could only promise so much in terms of safety. He was indeed hoping to build an army and return in full force.

In Kryta he can promise more safety actually, especially with the White Mantle. To the private eye they are evil, but to the public they do good work. If the Charr attacked, you’d have the veteran Ascalon soldiers, as well as the lionguard/White Mantle forces. HOWEVER, I could see him wishing to return at some distance point of the future with purely an army to fight the charr, as opposed to civilians needing to be defended.

No, I was saying that the flame legion lived up to their end of the bargain. They gave the Charr the means to overcome the Humans. When the Flame Legion’s gods were killed, it made their ideals look weak. And according to the Charr, the weak are not fit to rule. So they got rid of them. If the Flame Legion was able to find a “true” god capable of showing its might against all the Legions, the Charr would eventually fall back in line. Why? Because they would be the strongest.

Partly, and still partly they oppressed the others, and those others started fighting back.

Need I remind you that Ebonhawk is rich in mineral wealth? They have been buying that Asura gate as much as the Queen has been funding them. That is why it is called a trade route. The Fallen Angels were not placed there until mention of the treaty. The treaty is the only reason they are there.

And the Queen had to pay for the Asura gate to be repaired. And since the peace treaty, they(ebonhawke) are making a hefty profit off selling those ores to DR. So yes, they are partly to ensure the treaty goes fine, but partly to protect the Queens interests in Ebonhawke, exactly as their commander says.

Either way, the Queen/DR is a solid reason why Ebonhawke is doing so well.

in Human

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Whether something is inherent or situational has nothing to do with how many situations we have available to us. Inherent means that that is the empirical quality of the thing no matter how you look at it. Situation means that the quality of the thing changes with the point of view. If you only have one point of view, yet another point of view exists, even if it’s not available to you, then it is still situational.

Then why did you say, “The fact that it is only one side to view from means it is situational” ?

it’s petty because the entirety of Ascalon is not their home. Their home is Ebonhawke. But that has nothing to do with the fourth wall of when that lore was added. It’s either a lore conversation or an artistic integrity conversation. Mixing the two will never yield any result except to endlessly draw things out by picking and chooseing only what supports one side. But what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

The entirety is their home. Like I said, Ascalon was never the Charr homelands until last year. Willfully “forgetting” how things were because they’ve been rewritten only changes it in your mind, not how it really is/was. Arguing artistic integrity is the point, and is a lore conversation. You can’t separate the two because the lore is birthed inside someone’s mind, and unlike RL doesn’t exist on its own. In an artistic creation like fantasy writing, how something was intended or originally created trumps how that same thing exists today.

Edit: Lore: ascalon belonged to charr before humanity. Before any present day charr were born. No human alive belonged to an ascalon that was bigger then ebonhawke.

Artistic intention: “But that was added later” True, the details were added later. But what has always been the writers intention from the very beginning is that humanity “took up residence in lands that did not belong to [them]”

Humans aren’t even from Tyria, technically nothing belongs to them here. So I suppose if we had it your way, all humans should leave the planet. The point of that dialogue from the Manuscripts is to set up the decline of humanity by introducing methods of guilt and irresponsibility to explain why humans are no longer the “golden children” of Tyria. Proph, Factions, and NF would be reeeeeally boring is it all existed in the golden age of humanity. The Guild Wars themselves are meant to be a lesson to humanity on the folly of their ways. They needed to include a sense of foreboding and conflict to make the story any fun, dude.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Human

Obsidian.1328

And how many times in proph did we get any sort of look into Charr culture? NONE. We could easily see however, how Charr casters (specifically eles and monks) held themselves upright, compared to the rest who where hunched over. A very clear, “We are better and prouder” if you ask me.

Wow…just wow. You think the upright Charr models are that way because they think they are better than hunched-over Charr? I don’t need to remind you that the majority of Charr models were upright. The hunched ones are that way because the artist wanted them to look bigger and tougher. They are the front-liners dude, giving them huge shoulders was an immersion technique, nothing more.

After the heroes helped the White Mantle, and IIRC, this was after they had saved the leader and basically been accepted into the White Mantle ranks. It was NEVER a “Oh, we welcome you to Kryta, IF you do this.”

They never came out and said it, no. Why would they tell anyone their true intentions?

Said rep also never went into the city, and as I recall he was never even granted a meeting with the king OR the prince. Now compare that to later when the King has not only lost more of his people, but also knows of his son’s death… (Which we know he learned of the death either after or during the trek to Kryta).

You mean this?: “A long time have I fought for Ascalon. First as a soldier blessed by Balthazar, now as its king. Though I have survived one more battle, and I will see another day, it will not make me any more wise… only one day older. I have lost all that a man can lose. All that I have left is this antiquated set of armor and the remains of this tattered kingdom. I thank you for your help today. Rurik would have been very proud of all you have accomplished.”
Hardly the words of a murdering madman.

Let’s see… to play EOTN, I must load up GW1. Therefore, it is GW1 lore, and not GW2 lore.

Lol, whatever you got to tell yourself!

Rurik also had just traveled deeper into Charr held land then anybody had for a few years, and also just saw the effect the “Legendary” stormcaller had on the battlefield. Yes, it tipped the favor but it didn’t slaughter the charr in a righteous thunderstorm. At first yes, he was more so “Let’s gather our strength”. Then he saw how stubborn his father was and decided to leave Ascalon behind.

Seth Meyers voice: Really?

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Human

Obsidian.1328

If you want to treat it as a game, then that’s fine. If you want to treat the story as its own entity, that’s fine. Please do not flip between the two because you want to “win”. It’s the equivalent of raising your hand in history class and going “but how do we know the people who wrote this stuff down didn’t lie or were just wrong?”. There may be a valid point, but it shifts the discussion entirely to a different line.

I just wanted to comment on this part real quick before I entertain the rest of your post.

Umm, finding out if the source is wrong or right is one of the most important functions of teaching history! Good grief, you can’t even start the discussion unless you make sure the source material is reliable! The entire premise of understanding history relies on getting as close to the contextual truth as possible. I don’t know how to respond to your comment really.

The physical game, as pertaining to the lore, is an expression of the story. Not the other way around.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

(edited by Obsidian.1328)

in Human

Obsidian.1328

A writer in one book sets it in the Kingdoms of the West, rarely talks about the Wondrous Kingdoms in the East. A few facts are peppered through here and there, recited with the utmost confidence in their veracity, about how the Eastern realm people behave.

In the next trilogy he explores them and talks about the Degraded Kingdoms of the West without actually really showing them. But we start getting facts, like before, which we know from having read the other book are completely at odds. Furthermore, some of those “facts” about the Eastern lands are shown to be myths held by people who either never visited, or are reasoning from outdated sources.

Is this bad, sloppy, inexcusable writing?

I would agree if those “facts” are from the point of view of the people in the story, and not the authors point of view. There’s a huge difference there.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Human

Kalavier.1097

The entirety is their home. Like I said, Ascalon was never the Charr homelands until last year. Willfully “forgetting” how things were because they’ve been rewritten only changes it in your mind, not how it really is/was. Arguing artistic integrity is the point, and is a lore conversation. You can’t separate the two because the lore is birthed inside someone’s mind, and unlike RL doesn’t exist on its own. In an artistic creation like fantasy writing, how something was intended or originally created trumps how that same thing exists today.

“Soon humans had everything we required, and it
was then that we began to prey upon the other creatures.
We hunted animals for sport, chased the druids from
the jungle, and took up residence in lands that did not
belong to us. "

From the GW proph manual. That + the “Charr home” thing actually mesh together quite nicely. They took lands that did not belong to them, one of those being Charr.

You sound like those who step into a discussion and argue endlessly because “This was ORIGINALLY INTENDED! to be this way. It doesn’t matter that the actual resulting event/item was a good deal different and could never do that at first intended thing.”

in Human

Kalavier.1097

6 upright models (including EOTN. Two of those models are actually one use only special named characters, the other four ones repeated as enemies). 8 hunched over. Every upright one is spellcaster. Of the 5 proph charr models, 2 are upright, 3 hunched over. The upright ones mainly being Elementalists of monks, both of which were pointed toward being the “Shamans”.

The rangers are partly upright, and the mesmers/necros when they cast spells. Ohterwise the only guys standing COMPLETELY upright is the monks/eles. Who happen to also be the leaders. Bonfaz burntfur, the one who did the searing, ordered the army to the wall, and attacked Rin, the only Charr in proph we see leading or mentioned to lead as I recall, was an ele.

So yes, there are subtle hints toward a Shaman/upper caste for the Charr in Ascalon.

They never came out and said it, no. Why would they tell anyone their true intentions?

And as we saw, they hid their intentions and put no requirements upon the refugees of Ascalon, and the heroes were granted ranks in the White Mantle and that was when they asked for them to start doing stuff.

Hardly the words of a murdering madman.

“The sudden destruction of most of the kingdom during
the Searing has taken much of the fight out of the man now
known as King Adelbern. He has become stubborn and set
in his ways, afraid of losing what little he has left. But in
his son Rurik, the people see a leader with the courage to
perhaps help them reclaim their fallen kingdom.”

Ambassador Zain
“I do not understand the hostility that my presence generates from your King. I seek only to help the people of Ascalon. You could help me in this cause. I have a shipment of supplies that I was going to deliver to an Ascalon woman called Ellie Rigby. She runs an orphanage for those who have lost their parents in these evil times. King Adelbern however will not allow me in the city to deliver these supplies.”

King Adelbern: “Stand aside, Rurik.”
Prince Rurik: “Before you do this, Father, think about your motives.”
King Adelbern: “That Krytan is a cancer on the underbelly of Ascalon. I need no further motive than that to cut him away before he does more harm.”
Prince Rurik: “Ambassador Zain is here to offer us aid. He extends his hand in friendship.”
King Adelbern: “No Krytan will ever be a friend of Ascalon.”
Prince Rurik: “Do not be foolish, old man! If you have not noticed, Ascalon is in no position to turn away help, even from those who were once our enemies.”
King Adelbern: “I grow tired of this, Rurik. Step aside this instant! We are here to arrest Ambassador Zain and try him as a traitor of this nation.”
Prince Rurik: “I will not allow you to jeopardize the fate of Ascalon because of your petty jealousy! If you intend to arrest the ambassador, then you will first have to go through me.”
Prince Rurik: “Go home father. Let me deal with this.”
King Adelbern: “This is a mistake, Rurik. Mark my words. This Krytan will be the death of us all.”
King Adelbern: “Guards. With me.”

And those are not the words of someone who is either extremely stubborn, or mad? Ready to arrest an AMBASSADOR, try them as a traitor, and then (knowing the theme), likely execute them? SIMPLY FOR OFFERING AID? Note this is after you aid the man in actually delivering supplies for an orphanage.

Evennia travels to Ascalon to seek the aid of King Adelbern against the White Mantle, in exchange for Krytan aid against the Charr. After struggling for a while to obtain said help, she is reported missing, her last known location being Old Ascalon.

Oh look, when Rurik wasn’t around to stop the king, the next known Ambassador disappeared from Old Ascalon.

Lol, whatever you got to tell yourself!

I’ve seen nothing from you that will ever disprove EOTN as being part of GW1. Whether or not while it was being made GW2 was started in building or concepts, it is part of GW1. I can see there is basically no point discussing this with you since you refuse to accept any change.

Let us not also forget when the Ebon Vanguard went to Ebonhawke, ANY civilian who spoke out against the king was assigned to go on the mission. When they left the city, many more civilians joined them, and one of the causes was “fear of the king”

in Human

Obsidian.1328

“Soon humans had everything we required, and it
was then that we began to prey upon the other creatures.
We hunted animals for sport, chased the druids from
the jungle, and took up residence in lands that did not
belong to us. "

From the GW proph manual. That + the “Charr home” thing actually mesh together quite nicely. They took lands that did not belong to them, one of those being Charr.

You sound like those who step into a discussion and argue endlessly because “This was ORIGINALLY INTENDED! to be this way. It doesn’t matter that the actual resulting event/item was a good deal different and could never do that at first intended thing.”

I never denied it wasn’t Charr territory, just not Charr homeland. Ascalon had outposts in the Shiverpeaks and Crystal Desert too, but those aren’t part of the Ascalon homeland. That word is key, as I’m sure the devs know, because it ties a race’s(or in this case subculture) very identity and heritage to a certain piece of land. That’s precisely why they changed the Charr “ancestral homeland” from the steppes to Ascalon. Because without it, humans have the better claim to it. And they can’t have that in this game.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Human

Obsidian.1328

The models are based off of type of combatant, nothing more. The casters are all skinnier and more upright because they don’t need huge delts and traps to be effective. The melee’ers are all beefy and top heavy because they need to be. It’s an attempt to provide realistic mob-types in the game, it has nothing to do with caste domination or whatever. Why are the monks and mezmers upright then too? I thought the ele’s were supposed to be the big wigs? And why are necro’s hunched over? Your reasoning doesn’t add up.

Do you really think the Mantle would not have canvassed the Settlement for potential Chosen? And if so, forced them to come with them? Or razed it to the ground if they thought they were harboring Shining Blade? Please.

King Adelbern: “This is a mistake, Rurik. Mark my words. This Krytan will be the death of us all.”
Had it not been for the PC, he would have been right. Zain either didn’t know the true nature of the Mantle himself, or was simply feigning compassion in order to enslave more people. It’s really unlikely Adelbern knew what the Mantle really were, his distrust was based on the guild wars. But at any rate, his stubborn hatred was actually a good thing in this case. Adelbern was old and stubborn, whereas Rurik was young and brash. It’s a no-brainer that extreme circumstances would strain their otherwise good relationship. Adelbern’s greatest strength is also his greatest weakness: his indomitable will. Yes, the Searing drove him cold and stubborn, but you can hardly blame him. To him, life as a refugee was unacceptable for his people. He’d rather die trying to save his kingdom. And based on your first quote there, that’s what his people wanted.

Adelbern would have known about the whole Prophecies storyline by the time Evennia came by, there would have been little reason to kill her. I don’t remember Adelbern villifying Evennia during the celebration at the conclusion of Proph, all he cared about was having you come back to help him win back his kingdom.
Besides, after you do actually go back and destroy the Titans, the Charr threat was basically over for Ascalon(at that point in the game-series development). EotN and GW2 basically reloaded the entire Charr “thing” and made the equivalent of saying, “Oh yeah, remember those Charr ya’ll beat back? There’s like a bazillion more up there just loitering around. Funny story, they got lost on the way here _lolz!”_

If you don’t see EotN as anything but a GW2 prequel, then there’s not much to discuss. Everything changed after that. It’s not about me accepting change, Nolan’s Batman series is without a doubt better than the ridiculously cliche’d 90’s attempts. Are they a better adaptation to the comics? Depends on which era of the Batman comics you’re talking about. If it’s the very first Batman comics you’re talking about then probably not; that zany 60’s tv series probably did that best.

The difference is Nolan made no pretense about trying to “reload” that original Batman style. He was purposely making a modern Batman steeped in the post-911 American psyche. GW2 actually makes the claim that they are intimately continuing in the same tradition and thematic style as GW1. If you think that’s true then I’m sorry, but you are a really bad judge of art and character. The two games shouldn’t even have the same name.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Human

Kalavier.1097

The models are based off of type of combatant, nothing more. Why are the monks and mezmers upright then too? I thought the ele’s were supposed to be the big wigs? And why are necro’s hunched over? Your reasoning doesn’t add up.

Mesmers and necros share models. They are hunched over when not casting. If you actually bothered to read my post, you’d note I said Monks and eles are standing upright.

You simply went “THERE IS NO SIGN AT ALL OF ANY TYPE OF CASTE SYSTEM!” and I went “Well, if you look at the models/named ones, there kinda is in a subtle way.” Either way, the leaders we know about are almost all monks or eles.

Still, this boils down to a “You can see the models as hinting at it” or not. But it doesn’t say there isn’t some sort of caste system in prophecies for the Charr, as nobody talks to them to figure out if the warrior is ranked lower then the necro.

Do you really think the Mantle would not have canvassed the Settlement for potential Chosen? And if so, forced them to come with them? Or razed it to the ground if they thought they were harboring Shining Blade? Please.

They never searched the settlement for Chosen, so that didn’t happen. They didn’t raze it to the ground (as they didn’t harbor shining blade), so that didn’t happen either.

Had it not been for the PC, he would have been right. Zain either didn’t know the true nature of the Mantle himself, or was simply feigning compassion in order to enslave more people.

Yes, because they would totally just murder all of Ascalon. That’s a lot of possibly converts, soldiers, and land if they REALLY are going at it with villain mindset.

Do note, THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE kittening Proph storyline, they never harmed Ascalon Settlement (until guild wars beyond at least). Even after they knew you ‘were a traitor’, they didn’t go and kill Ascalon farmers or burn buildings down. Your statements about them going after Ascalon for “finding out the person who took out the Mursaat is Ascalonian” holds no merit as guess what? THEY NEVER did that. They didn’t march on Ascalon after proph.

Adelbern would have known about the whole Prophecies storyline by the time Evennia came by, there would have been little reason to kill her. I don’t remember Adelbern villifying Evennia during the celebration at the conclusion of Proph, all he cared about was having you come back to help him win back his kingdom.
Besides, after you do actually go back and destroy the Titans, the Charr threat was basically over for Ascalon(at that point in the game-series development). EotN and GW2 basically reloaded the entire Charr “thing” and made the equivalent of saying, “Oh yeah, remember those Charr ya’ll beat back? There’s like a bazillion more up there just loitering around. Funny story, they got lost on the way here _lolz!”_

Oh really? Who told him everything then? As of that scene he’d be more thinking about how his son turned into a zombie and was put down (if the heroes told them). Who would’ve spent the time to describe the past year of events or so to him?

Actually, they NEVER say the charr threat is over. Glint says he is safe from the Titans, but nothing more.

Infact, using your wording, they have defeated the Charr threat, but Ascalon is not their homeland. So what’s stopping them from sending more? When the hell did Ascalon make serious wins against the Charr that’d thin out their army of “Thousands” as Rurik said? I don’t recall hearing a thing about that.

EOTN simply pointed out there ARE more, and they still are fighting. Ebon Vanguard tying them up some in the North, but the battles still rage.

If you don’t see EotN as anything but a GW2 prequel, then there’s not much to discuss. Everything changed after that. It’s not about me accepting change.

GW2 actually makes the claim that they are intimately continuing in the same tradition and thematic style as GW1. If you think that’s true then I’m sorry, but you are a really bad judge of art and character. The two games shouldn’t even have the same name.

EOTN is both in GW1, and sets up some stuff for GW2, this is true. However, it IS part of GW1. So it IS part of the Lore. Would you rather me try to find an Anet person to come in here and clear that up for you?

So you can’t accept any change and refuse to believe GW is humanity rules. Nice to know. Anet simply went into blank areas of the lore and filled them. “Why are the charr attacking?” They explained that. “Are all charr vicious, evil monsters?” They explained that. “What happened to the white mantle?” They explained that.

They never went “Everything about Ascalon you know from proph is wrong!” as you seem to imply.

(edited by Kalavier.1097)

in Human

Dustfinger.9510

Then why did you say, “The fact that it is only one side to view from means it is situational” ?

Because it is only one way of looking at it. meaning that there are others.

Humans aren’t even from Tyria, technically nothing belongs to them here. So I suppose if we had it your way, all humans should leave the planet. The point of that dialogue from the Manuscripts is to set up the decline of humanity by introducing methods of guilt and irresponsibility to explain why humans are no longer the “golden children” of Tyria. Proph, Factions, and NF would be reeeeeally boring is it all existed in the golden age of humanity. The Guild Wars themselves are meant to be a lesson to humanity on the folly of their ways. They needed to include a sense of foreboding and conflict to make the story any fun, dude.

I have it my way. That claims of land really have nothing to do with who was there first hundreds of years ago. Only who currently has it now and who needs to sacrifice their life to hold onto what they do have.

But you contradict yourself. GW1 established that humanity took that land from someone else. No matter who they took it from, it didn’t start as theirs. So they can’t cry when it is already taken by someone else. So really, if you have it your way, charr don’t get the land because they didn’t definitely own it first in GW1 but we definitely know that humanity didn’t own it first either. You want to have your cake and eat it too but it can only be a contradiction. With arguments that can only rest on double standards.

in Human

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I just wanted to comment on this part real quick before I entertain the rest of your post.

Umm, finding out if the source is wrong or right is one of the most important functions of teaching history! Good grief, you can’t even start the discussion unless you make sure the source material is reliable! The entire premise of understanding history relies on getting as close to the contextual truth as possible. I don’t know how to respond to your comment really.

Except we run into an issue about the source – please remember, we only have human-based sources for a lot of the GW1 lore, and a lot of it is tagged as written by an actual character.

As such . . . it’s sometimes unreliable at best and propaganda at worst.

I’ll put it easier to grasp what I mean. The people who write the history books may not always be completely objective about their writing. And the longer back you go in history with fewer and fewer records available to rely on for data, there’s an increasing non-zero chance they will get it wrong even on accident.

. . . and trust me, in my lifetime I’ve seen history classes which have changed the interpretation of events even within the last two hundred years. Not to mention who you ask about the American Revolution, just to pick an easy target. Go back further and you watch history get a little murkier in so far not about facts such as whether wars or people existed . . . but for motivations and characterizations.

Facts are facts, but ancient history as we consider it is really just an interpretation of data we do not have personal context for. This is not entirely different for fiction, unless you have methods of looking into the past without fail . . . the best Tyrians have is the Mists. And they are notoriously unreliable a narrator.

The physical game, as pertaining to the lore, is an expression of the story. Not the other way around.

Yet, it should be noted, you’ve said things like the following:

They didn’t because they were slated to be a playable race in GW2, how do you not see that?

Which turns around and says the lore is driven by the game instead of the lore driving the game.

Pick a way we’re supposed to handle it and stick with it.

(edited by Tobias Trueflight.8350)

in Human

Kalavier.1097

Lol, basically like the priory idle line.

“History never lies… Historians on the other hand…”

in Human

Posted by: Darkbattlemage.9612

Darkbattlemage.9612

But then that would contradict their signature.

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.
Chaos always finds a way, who you think Evil learned it from?

in Human

Posted by: Khandarus.2738

Khandarus.2738

So after that kittening match I have this to say.

Go back and read guildwars 1 wiki <.<

in Human

Kalavier.1097

And that means… what :P.

in Human

Obsidian.1328

Mesmers and necros share models. They are hunched over when not casting. If you actually bothered to read my post, you’d note I said Monks and eles are standing upright.

No they don’t, they share colors. The necro is halfway hunched, and the mez more upright. If you look closer the models are different.

You simply went “THERE IS NO SIGN AT ALL OF ANY TYPE OF CASTE SYSTEM!” and I went “Well, if you look at the models/named ones, there kinda is in a subtle way.” Either way, the leaders we know about are almost all monks or eles.

That may be the case in EotN…which is kinda my point really. But if you look at all the Charr bosses you fight in Proph, the numbers are as follows: War-5, Rang-5, Monk-4, Necro-4, Mez-4, Ele-6. So yeah…I guess Ele has the most, right? /rollseyes

Still, this boils down to a “You can see the models as hinting at it” or not. But it doesn’t say there isn’t some sort of caste system in prophecies for the Charr, as nobody talks to them to figure out if the warrior is ranked lower then the necro.

It doesn’t say there is either…

They never searched the settlement for Chosen, so that didn’t happen. They didn’t raze it to the ground (as they didn’t harbor shining blade), so that didn’t happen either. Do note, THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE kittening Proph storyline, they never harmed Ascalon Settlement (until guild wars beyond at least). Even after they knew you ‘were a traitor’, they didn’t go and kill Ascalon farmers or burn buildings down. Your statements about them going after Ascalon for “finding out the person who took out the Mursaat is Ascalonian” holds no merit as guess what? THEY NEVER did that. They didn’t march on Ascalon after proph.

…because the narrative was over after Fire Island. The PC travels to Cantha after that. The next time we get to revisit Kryta in a future tense, whatdya know the Settlement is under attack. Game mechanics dude.

Oh really? Who told him everything then? As of that scene he’d be more thinking about how his son turned into a zombie and was put down (if the heroes told them). Who would’ve spent the time to describe the past year of events or so to him?

Anyone in Tyria really…I thought you ended up being some famous hero when it was all said and done, right?

Actually, they NEVER say the charr threat is over. Glint says he is safe from the Titans, but nothing more.

It’s implied in the narrative. Just like it’s implied the Charr threat is over in Empire Divided. The fact that it never comes out and says so bluntly is the entire reason they could do what they did with the Charr.

Infact, using your wording, they have defeated the Charr threat, but Ascalon is not their homeland. So what’s stopping them from sending more? When the hell did Ascalon make serious wins against the Charr that’d thin out their army of “Thousands” as Rurik said? I don’t recall hearing a thing about that.

Old argument. When in-game, Rurik looks at a group of 30 Charr and says “thousands”, obviously those 30 are meant to represent many more. For some reason, no one wants to apply that same logic to Ascalonians…they are only what you see there.

EOTN simply pointed out there ARE more, and they still are fighting. Ebon Vanguard tying them up some in the North, but the battles still rage.

Super…then make the same assumption for Ascalon.

EOTN is both in GW1, and sets up some stuff for GW2, this is true. However, it IS part of GW1. So it IS part of the Lore. Would you rather me try to find an Anet person to come in here and clear that up for you?

Actually, that’s what I’ve been waiting for for 2 years…

They never went “Everything about Ascalon you know from proph is wrong!” as you seem to imply.

You’re right, they didn’t. They just completely changed the true nature and theme of GW1 and human Ascalon was in the way.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Human

Obsidian.1328

Because it is only one way of looking at it. meaning that there are others.

Not in Proph there isn’t. What’s that absence of evidence quote you like to use?

But you contradict yourself. GW1 established that humanity took that land from someone else. No matter who they took it from, it didn’t start as theirs. So they can’t cry when it is already taken by someone else. So really, if you have it your way, charr don’t get the land because they didn’t definitely own it first in GW1 but we definitely know that humanity didn’t own it first either. You want to have your cake and eat it too but it can only be a contradiction. With arguments that can only rest on double standards.

No contradiction. My argument lies entirely on the meaning of the word homeland. Ascalon isn’t humanity’s homeland, but it is Ascalonian homeland. I could care less if they lost it in a way that made sense, and did the narrative justice. But to try and turn it around and make Ascalons out to be the devil, on top of hastily inserting the area as Charr homeland too, is almost vindictive.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Human

Obsidian.1328

Yet, it should be noted, you’ve said things like the following:

They didn’t because they were slated to be a playable race in GW2, how do you not see that?

Which turns around and says the lore is driven by the game instead of the lore driving the game.

Umm…those two statements aren’t contradictory. Making GW2 have multiple races is a game design decision. Using the Charr as one of those is a lore decision. Once they decided that, they had to find ways in which to do that. Which they have…through 3 books and plenty of wiki and in-game references.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Human

Obsidian.1328

Except we run into an issue about the source – please remember, we only have human-based sources for a lot of the GW1 lore, and a lot of it is tagged as written by an actual character.

As such . . . it’s sometimes unreliable at best and propaganda at worst.

I’ll put it easier to grasp what I mean. The people who write the history books may not always be completely objective about their writing. And the longer back you go in history with fewer and fewer records available to rely on for data, there’s an increasing non-zero chance they will get it wrong even on accident.

. . . and trust me, in my lifetime I’ve seen history classes which have changed the interpretation of events even within the last two hundred years. Not to mention who you ask about the American Revolution, just to pick an easy target. Go back further and you watch history get a little murkier in so far not about facts such as whether wars or people existed . . . but for motivations and characterizations.

Facts are facts, but ancient history as we consider it is really just an interpretation of data we do not have personal context for. This is not entirely different for fiction, unless you have methods of looking into the past without fail . . . the best Tyrians have is the Mists. And they are notoriously unreliable a narrator.

Helpful advice:

Don’t ever, ever, ever confuse fictional literature with real life historical research. The two have nothing to do with each other. One exists purely as an artificial creation, and the other…you know…actually happened.

Claiming GW1 was written from some fallible human perspective in which the writer purposely intended the history to be taken as mythical hogwash is a tall order. Sorry, you’re going to need to ask the original author if he/she meant to do that.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Human

Obsidian.1328

Lol, basically like the priory idle line.

“History never lies… Historians on the other hand…”

All history lies to some extent…it’s written by historians. Shouldn’t confuse history and truth.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Human

Dustfinger.9510

Not in Proph there isn’t. What’s that absence of evidence quote you like to use?

The quote is “Absence of evidence isn’t evidence of absence”

How does that apply? because it only supports my arguement.

No contradiction. My argument lies entirely on the meaning of the word homeland. Ascalon isn’t humanity’s homeland, but it is Ascalonian homeland. I could care less if they lost it in a way that made sense, and did the narrative justice. But to try and turn it around and make Ascalons out to be the devil, on top of hastily inserting the area as Charr homeland too, is almost vindictive.

The narrative said that humanity took land. that encompasses Ascalonians, Canthans, etc. All of humanity. You somehow think that Ascalonians can be free from the taint of humanity. Ascalonians are human too. So your entire argumnt rests on a double standard.

in Human

Obsidian.1328

The quote is “Absence of evidence isn’t evidence of absence”

How does that apply? because it only supports my arguement.

The narrative said that humanity took land. that encompasses Ascalonians, Canthans, etc. All of humanity. You somehow think that Ascalonians can be free from the taint of humanity. Ascalonians are human too. So your entire argumnt rests on a double standard.

Still no. With divine help, they did take the land from the Charr. Where have I not said that? Technically, being from another world would mean them merely setting foot on Tyria itself makes them foreign invaders, no? Besides, this is more about cultural identity and heritage. Perhaps we should force all the Asura to go back underground where they are from. Or tell all the Sylvari to merge back with the Pale Tree. -__-

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Human

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Helpful advice:

Don’t ever, ever, ever confuse fictional literature with real life historical research. The two have nothing to do with each other. One exists purely as an artificial creation, and the other…you know…actually happened.

And in the same token, I should point out this goes along with something else: fiction changes at the whim of the writers and it is not subject to the review of the readers for whether or not it is “right”.

But, of course, simply saying this isn’t a valid perspective because it’s fiction sidesteps the point anyway. Again.

Claiming GW1 was written from some fallible human perspective in which the writer purposely intended the history to be taken as mythical hogwash is a tall order. Sorry, you’re going to need to ask the original author if he/she meant to do that.

Sorry, you’ll also need to pony up something to prove they intended it to be infallible. Which, mind you, is a lot harder than pointing to the myriad pieces which suggest they intended details to be very malleable until it was needed to be solid foundation.

The Durmand Priory researchers do often leave the one line hanging out there when idle. I suspect, though, you don’t know what I’m referencing so here we are. “History never lies. Historians, however . . .”

Who wrote most of the Guild Wars Manuscripts? A historian, Thadeus Lamount. And it even says at the front the following is taken from “manuscripts recently unearthed” which suggests . . . nay, states . . . they are not out-of-universe content but in-universe content.

Which means there is the required subjective interpretation of what really happened, as written by a character in the world of Tyria and not The Word Of The Author, unassailable and unbending to interpretation.

in Human

Kalavier.1097

Confirmed on that. Guild wars 1 wiki even says that.

So yeah, the backstory of the world is presented from an in universe, HUMAN perspective. Shocking it might be wrong in parts about the Charr side?

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Thadeus_Lamount
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/History_of_Tyria
“Excerpt from The History of Tyria, Volume 1
Thadeus Lamount, Historian "

in Human

Dustfinger.9510

Still no. With divine help, they did take the land from the Charr. Where have I not said that? Technically, being from another world would mean them merely setting foot on Tyria itself makes them foreign invaders, no? Besides, this is more about cultural identity and heritage. Perhaps we should force all the Asura to go back underground where they are from. Or tell all the Sylvari to merge back with the Pale Tree. -__-

Still no, what?

You acknowledge that humanity has taken land. And we know it has been taken from them. The only justification for asura being driven back underground rests on randomly championing a favorite species and arbitrarily giving them …land. because they …had it at some point in time. As you are trying to do with humanity. Only your own logic leads to that extreme.

That’s not my point at all. it doesn’t matter that charr had it first. Only that they have it now. My point is that the petty wars over land have been fought but now there are real problems in Tyria.

in Human

Obsidian.1328

fiction changes at the whim of the writers and it is not subject to the change of future writers for whether or not it is “right”.

Fixed that for you.

Sorry, you’ll also need to pony up something to prove they intended it to be infallible. Which, mind you, is a lot harder than pointing to the myriad pieces which suggest they intended details to be very malleable until it was needed to be solid foundation.

I don’t have to, the burden of proof is with you, not me.

The Durmand Priory researchers do often leave the one line hanging out there when idle. I suspect, though, you don’t know what I’m referencing so here we are. “History never lies. Historians, however . . .”

Someone already posted that quote last week.

Who wrote most of the Guild Wars Manuscripts? A historian, Thadeus Lamount. And it even says at the front the following is taken from “manuscripts recently unearthed” which suggests . . . nay, states . . . they are not out-of-universe content but in-universe content.

Odd, the Manuscripts also explain to us the various classes and game mechanics, why is it talking about levels and character customization too? It’s also a manual dude. It’s a narration by the game designers with us RL players as the audience. They use Thadeus as an immersion tool to, you know, immerse us into the history of the gameworld. The manual also constantly refers to us as heroes and what to expect out the the game. So it’s not really Thad there telling us this, it’s some devs being pleasantly creative as they tell us about the game and how to play it. It’s awesome they also reference him in the actual game though, I admire that thoughtfulness.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Human

Obsidian.1328

Still no, what?

You acknowledge that humanity has taken land. And we know it has been taken from them. The only justification for asura being driven back underground rests on randomly championing a favorite species and arbitrarily giving them …land. because they …had it at some point in time. As you are trying to do with humanity. Only your own logic leads to that extreme.

That’s not my point at all. it doesn’t matter that charr had it first. Only that they have it now. My point is that the petty wars over land have been fought but now there are real problems in Tyria.

Still no to your argument, that’s what.
The only justification for asura being driven back underground rests on randomly championing a favorite species and arbitrarily giving them …land. because they …had it at some point in time.
Funny, they did that exact same thing with the Charr. Almost word for word.

Your point about petty wars is rather irrelevant. Inserting some “united we stand” theme into a pre-existing world where species almost never get along should be done(if it has to be done at all) over a long stretch of time. And especially in a way in which the players get to experience it. No wonder this is an issue, ANet kinda wants you to feel like an ignorant neanderthal for bringing up game-race rivalry. Really? Furthermore, GW2 also strives to bestow upon us grateful players some moral high-ground agenda that has little to do with Tyria and a lot to do with them trying to “teach” us how to be good people in real life. GW2 isn’t Star Trek, and ANet isn’t Gene Roddenberry. Save the life lessons for another game.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Human

Tobias Trueflight.8350

fiction changes at the whim of the writers and it is not subject to the change of future writers for whether or not it is “right”.

Fixed that for you.

No, you didn’t, you just replaced reality with your opinion of what should be. Instead of how things are.

I don’t have to, the burden of proof is with you, not me.

I’m afraid not. This isn’t a court of law. This is the internet, where unless you bother making your case at all you had better just shut up or go home. I made my case, and all you keep doing is “no, you”, so frankly . . . it’s on you.

Someone already posted that quote last week.

And you either missed it or ignored it, so it’s time to bring it up again.

Odd, the Manuscripts also explain to us the various classes and game mechanics, why is it talking about levels and character customization too? It’s also a manual dude. It’s a narration by the game designers with us RL players as the audience. They use Thadeus as an immersion tool to, you know, immerse us into the history of the gameworld. The manual also constantly refers to us as heroes and what to expect out the the game. So it’s not really Thad there telling us this, it’s some devs being pleasantly creative as they tell us about the game and how to play it. It’s awesome they also reference him in the actual game though, I admire that thoughtfulness.

That still does not mean his existence, or the attribution of the whole writing to him, should be ignored. It’s part of lore, you see, and not “Guild Wars 2 lore”. It’s part of Guild Wars 1 lore, much like map travel is also, for some weird reason.

That’s lore also.

in Human

Tobias Trueflight.8350

GW2 isn’t Star Trek, and ANet isn’t Gene Roddenberry. Save the life lessons for another game.

Gene was terrible at teaching people how to be good people, remember how his vision of how humanity would become perfect included evolving beyond the need to grieve? Or how about the idea of any sort of economy disappearing, despite there being some things which simply couldn’t be just replicated via technology and still held meaning to people?

Not to mention the consistent flaunting (in a very hypocritical fashion) about how humanity is “beyond” just about any negative thing you can throw at them. At least, until Gene stopped being around to get in the way of the writers.

Generally, Star Trek is a terrible model of how people should behave.

in Human

Dustfinger.9510

The only justification for asura being driven back underground rests on randomly championing a favorite species and arbitrarily giving them …land. because they …had it at some point in time.

Your point about petty wars is rather irrelevant. Inserting some “united we stand” theme into a pre-existing world where species almost never get along should be done(if it has to be done at all) over a long stretch of time. And especially in a way in which the players get to experience it. No wonder this is an issue, ANet kinda wants you to feel like an ignorant neanderthal for bringing up game-race rivalry. Really? Furthermore, GW2 also strives to bestow upon us grateful players some moral high-ground agenda that has little to do with Tyria and a lot to do with them trying to “teach” us how to be good people in real life. GW2 isn’t Star Trek, and ANet isn’t Gene Roddenberry. Save the life lessons for another game.

If your response is “No!” ….. then “yes” can only be the oppropriate rebuttle.

You seem to b saying that it isn’t okay to do that with charr but it is okay to do that with humanity. That’s a double standard.

in Human

Kalavier.1097

So yeah, the backstory of the world is presented from an in universe, HUMAN perspective. Shocking it might be wrong in parts about the Charr side?

I’ll simply put this forward, AGAIN. Since Obsidian seemed to ignore it.

The “History of Tyria” from the manuscripts/manual, is listed as being written by a canon human. Like how a number of manuals for video games were approached in an ‘in universe’ manner, obviously the game mechanics parts can be set to the side.

But the history part? yeah, it’s canon to be written by a human post searing.

in Human

Obsidian.1328

Tobi

No, I replaced your opinion with reality. I can do that too!

I have explained my case, many times over. I can’t help it if you don’t bother looking it up.

Didn’t miss it, just already pointed out its invalidity as a quote. If historians write history…then it follows that history is flawed.

You’re right, Thady shouldn’t be ignored as a lore source. But the writer’s shouldn’t have to hold your hand to determine which things are insurmountable law, and which are there for other reasons…like introducing game mechanics through the lens of an in-universe character. Don’t be afraid to use your intelligence.

Lol, yes Gene was a hippie. And he had some fairly idyllic views of an advanced humanity. But the point was that one of the series’ hallmarks was advocating a future human moral code beyond that which we even come close to today. And he did a good job at portraying it, despite some of it being seemingly unbelievable. Everyone knew when they sat down to watch a show there would be some lesson involved. GW2, for some reason, tries to do that yet it pales in comparison. Especially since the foundational story had little to do with that. ANet shouldn’t have tried to be the benevolent moral mirror but rather continued the story the way it was founded: i.e. a dark, violent, bloody tale of the sword and magic variety where inter-species/race/nation conflict was the norm.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Human

Obsidian.1328

If your response is “No!” ….. then “yes” can only be the oppropriate rebuttle.

You seem to b saying that it isn’t okay to do that with charr but it is okay to do that with humanity. That’s a double standard.

No, I meant “no” there.

It isn’t ok to do that with any race really, but keeping Ascalon wouldn’t be random at all. It wasn’t some piece of land on their frontier, it was their identity. The same couldn’t be said for the Charr at all…until last year of course.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Human

Obsidian.1328

I’ll simply put this forward, AGAIN. Since Obsidian seemed to ignore it.

The “History of Tyria” from the manuscripts/manual, is listed as being written by a canon human. Like how a number of manuals for video games were approached in an ‘in universe’ manner, obviously the game mechanics parts can be set to the side.

But the history part? yeah, it’s canon to be written by a human post searing.

I see. So Thad’s words are canon, eh? So why weren’t the Bloodstones created by the gods again? Oh right, it was in-game human perspective. So who gets to decide which things he says are in-game reality and which are in-game speculation? Oh right, GW2 devs do.

Your amount of willful blindness is astounding.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Human

Dustfinger.9510

No, I meant “no” there.

It isn’t ok to do that with any race really, but keeping Ascalon wouldn’t be random at all. It wasn’t some piece of land on their frontier, it was their identity. The same couldn’t be said for the Charr at all…until last year of course.

Ascalon was who’s identity? Certainly not all of humanities. And certainly not Kryta’s. But since humanity owned the world 250 years ago, then making sure humanity loses no land would mean they would still need to own it today. The problem I see here is that people can’t separate their Gw1 characters from their gw2 characters.

And we see how the double standard endures because we know that humanity took that land from someone else who had their cultural identity linked to it. That was established at the very beginning. So basing an argument off of keeping some land in human hands because they used to have it can only ever be a double standard. They took it from someone else.

in Human

Kalavier.1097

I see. So Thad’s words are canon, eh? So why weren’t the Bloodstones created by the gods again? Oh right, it was in-game human perspective. So who gets to decide which things he says are in-game reality and which are in-game speculation? Oh right, GW2 devs do.

And your refusal to accept ANY change is as well.

in Human

Obsidian.1328

And your refusal to accept ANY change is as well.

No. Just bad change.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Human

Obsidian.1328

No, I meant “no” there.

Ascalon was who’s identity? Certainly not all of humanities. And certainly not Kryta’s. But since humanity owned the world 250 years ago, then making sure humanity loses no land would mean they would still need to own it today. The problem I see here is that people can’t separate their Gw1 characters from their gw2 characters.

And we see how the double standard endures because we know that humanity took that land from someone else who had their cultural identity linked to it. That was established at the very beginning. So basing an argument off of keeping some land in human hands because they used to have it can only ever be a double standard. They took it from someone else.

Uhh…Ascalon was Ascalonian’s identity. Are you grouping all of humanity into the same cultural group or something? You bring up a great point though. Humanity, as far as we knew, only lived in a very small part of the Tyria(the world). They had leagues upon leagues of space with which to develop alternate races and cultures in this game. Instead, they chose to disembowel the known map, combine all of the humans into one single culture, and redistribute the land out to the new guys. GG

How in the blazes did GW1 Charr have their cultural identity linked to Ascalon?

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Human

Dustfinger.9510

Uhh…Ascalon was Ascalonian’s identity. Are you grouping all of humanity into the same cultural group or something? You bring up a great point though. Humanity, as far as we knew, only lived in a very small part of the Tyria(the world). They had leagues upon leagues of space with which to develop alternate races and cultures in this game. Instead, they chose to disembowel the known map, combine all of the humans into one single culture, and redistribute the land out to the new guys. GG

Read carefully. I didn’t say the charr had their cultural identity linked to Ascalon. I said that humanity took it from somebody.

You are the only one focused on cultural identity based on where someone used to live. My point is that that can only be a double standard because humanity took it from somebody.

in Human

Obsidian.1328

Read carefully. I didn’t say the charr had their cultural identity linked to Ascalon. I said that humanity took it from somebody.

You are the only one focused on cultural identity based on where someone used to live. My point is that that can only be a double standard because humanity took it from somebody.

They took it from the Charr, and whoever else lived there. I’m sure there were all sorts of creatures that used to roam the land. The difference is no other group, that we know of, has any heritage tied to the place. ANet never bothered to add that in the GW1 ‘verse. You’re basically saying a group can’t claim a spot because there might have been some other civilization there in the past that called it home. That’s silly, by that rationale you couldn’t add any new races anywhere. The only known group with any significant cultural ties to Ascalon prior to GW2…is Ascalons. Why even bother erasing that? What possible reason could there be to do that?

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Human

Dustfinger.9510

They took it from the Charr, and whoever else lived there. I’m sure there were all sorts of creatures that used to roam the land. The difference is no other group, that we know of, has any heritage tied to the place. ANet never bothered to add that in the GW1 ‘verse. You’re basically saying a group can’t claim a spot because there might have been some other civilization there in the past that called it home. That’s silly, by that rationale you couldn’t add any new races anywhere. The only know group with any significant cultural ties to Ascalon prior to GW2…is Ascalons. Why even bother erasing that? What possible reason could there be to do that?

I’m not saying that at all. You’re the only one hung up on ancestral claims. You’re trying to apply your flawed logic to me. But your logic only rests on a double standard.

It doesn’t matter that we didn’t know who they took it from. It doesn’t matter that they eventually decided it was charr. Your logic is flawed simply because humanity took it from somebody. You don’t have a rational argument. That’s why it continually jumps in and out of the game. What I’m saying is that anybody who currently owns it ….. owns it. No human alive can claim that it was taken from them. Anybody who could have said that died hundreds of years ago.

edit: by reasoning that land shouldn’t be taken due to past cultural identity, you are the one actually saying you can’t add new races anywhere.

in Human

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobi

No, I replaced your opinion with reality. I can do that too!

I have explained my case, many times over. I can’t help it if you don’t bother looking it up.

Cite your sources, quote the relevant bits, but if you refuse to explain yourself other than to go “no, I don’t have to”, then why should I continue this any longer?

It’s completely understandable you refuse to accept what happened. I mean, there are tons of people who disavow the Matrix sequels, or any Highlander material past the first movie. There are some people who deny other things because they just don’t fit in their own world view.

Now, I can’t help it if your world view says only the original author can edit their work. Or add to it. And only if it doesn’t mess with your perception of their work, because otherwise it obviously wasn’t a “proper” extension of the fiction. If that’s the decision you’re going to hold to on this front then there isn’t anything to say.

Primarily because you aren’t arguing from an honest position.

If I’m not responding to the rest of your post, it’s because this particular issue has become central to our discussion back and forth. You will not accept anything as lore which does not fit with your personal interpretation of the Guild Wars world, which means anything after Nightfall is lumped in with the “Guild Wars 2” canon and everything before that is inviolate.

That’s not how writing works. It’s especially not how it works when you have a team of writers and not one person. If you like, let’s look at Star Trek and what Ira Stephen Behr, Brannon Braga, and Rick Berman did with it instead of Gene Roddenbery. There are plenty of people who say anything they did is not “the real Star Trek”. (We’re not discussing J.J. Abrams, because that’s just best approached as a separate fiction inspired by instead of in continuity with.) But it happened, in the same series no less, where other writers took what one author had done and played with it for their own work.

So, there’s precedent for what the ANet writing team has done. And it’s actually not a bad example – some of the better stuff came from people who just took Gene’s ideas and turned them on their side to get a different look. And . . . some of the worst stuff too, no argument there.

That’s just how things work when you work as a writing team rather than one writer. And even in the space of one writer, it’s known where they will present one set of truth and a book or three later, present a different one. Good old George R.R. Martin, and J.R.R. Tolkein both did this, as did other authors like Timothy Zahn, Tad Williams, Piers Anthony . . . I’m pretty sure even Jeff Grubb is guilty of it, but I’d need to find his books over again.

In fiction, nothing is inviolate to being changed in future works. The big question is what people do with what they change. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t . . . but when it doesn’t work and become good fiction, that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

in Human

Posted by: Essarious Quw.8946

Essarious Quw.8946

My human characters would fight to defend the people of Ebonhawke, but not support a full invasion. My guardian and warrior would be the first to join the fight, but my necro would stick to his vigil assignments and not get involved.

I feel somewhat sympathetic to the people of Ebonhawke, they have paid a steep blood price for the land their city occupies, and even the Legions came to respect that and stopped trying quite so hard to destroy and occupy the city, content to use it to test new weapons (That was the impression I got from both Edge of Destiny and charr NPCS in Fields of Ruin). If hostilities did resume on an official level then I would absolutely spend time trying to protect the people of Ebonhawke.

As for the rest of Ascalon, the charr are welcome to it. It has a depressing colour scheme anyway.