I poked around after the end...*Spoilers*

in Lore

Posted by: Lelouch Sothoth.1982

Lelouch Sothoth.1982

As per the title, when Destiny’s Edge 2.0 was all “let’s get out of here!”, I turned around to check Scarlet’s computers and say goodnight to the sweet princess.

There are 3 or 4 interactive consoles behind Scarlet and one of them was particularly interesting: it appears that Scarlet was not trying to sap the leyline powers, but actually to “Disrupt” them (sorry, don’t have the whole text on hand ).

So, we now know that she managed to wake up an Elder Dragon, but personally the way she did it was not what I thought it would be. I mean, I thought that she would “derail” them to feed Mordremoth, not to break them and make all the magic shoot everywhere :/

So, what consequences this could have( big angry dragons aside)? Can this give some clues as to what connections there are exactly between leylines and Elder Dragons?
PS: It seems that we will see the aftermath of the LS after this patch, 2 weeks from now. I went to the Pale Tree (Sylvary Character), but she only said the same things they added on the last patches

English is not my main language, so please bear with me :)

Rafflesia Sothoth, Silvary Necromancer

in Lore

Posted by: Tamias.7059

Tamias.7059

I completely missed all this! I don’t suppose someone could post some screenshots/transcriptions/detailed descriptions?

Victory Is Life Eternal [VILE]

in Lore

Posted by: Jelle.4623

Jelle.4623

^I’ll put up a video in a bit

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

You can go back in there if you go to the jumping plattform in the southwest of LA. You need an exotic spinal backpiece though.
Then you do not have to fight the whole brain afk zerg again.

For the ley lines i presume our jungle friend just lay there in maguuma, taping into the magical energy that flows to him and now suddenly it is disturbed.. geez.. a cranky dragon..

btw. you can talk to Taimi after you have finished. However she has nothing more then some flavour text.
However if you talk to to the B-Team in their way out they mention the Dead End. I guess we have our epilog there in two weeks..

in Lore

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Did you notice that one of the map shows that she had thumpers way up north ? In the Woodlands, Far Shiverpeaks and even Blood legion homeland.

in Lore

Jelle.4623

Yeah, also near Divinity’s reach, which I can’t remember seeing thumpers at.

in Lore

Posted by: CMstorm.8679

CMstorm.8679

That last cutscene was amazing! like, i don’t know how to put it any other way. it was fantastic. And i also liked animation interaction between Kasmeer and Delaqua, not just because ya got 2 chicks kissing’ each other right there XD but honestly, it wasn’t just the normal animations that you’d see from an average scene. The motion between Rox and Braham could’ve been something like that because it did look a little awkward. but then Kasmeer and Delaqua just took the cake lol

in Lore

Jelle.4623

Will be finished uploading ~60 minutes from now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDL8ILOJEXc&feature=youtu.be
^Spoilers, obviously.

in Lore

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I believe that just “disrupting” leylines was quite obvious and there’s no “feeding” the dragon
EDs are kind of magical guardians, keeping the magic in check. If they notice something strange or overflow of magic, they wake up.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Note: engineers have special dialogue for those things it seems. On phone so no text but short version is that with engineer you get told Scarlet’s goal was a Dragon the entire time, and that the drill is magical, intended to keep running even if Scarlet gets captured or killed.

For the ley lines i presume our jungle friend just lay there in maguuma, taping into the magical energy that flows to him and now suddenly it is disturbed.. geez.. a cranky dragon..

Actually, she diverted the leg line to the Dragon, not from it.

btw. you can talk to Taimi after you have finished. However she has nothing more then some flavour text.

So does Magnus and all the biconics. Magnus even praises you for killing Scarlet and Braham and Marjory’s injuries are mentioned.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Posted by: Aethgar.1784

Aethgar.1784

I have another possible theory.. Scarlet kept on claiming again and again how she had some ulterior motive, and we never got her villainous rant.
My bet is that Mordremoth has been lying gathering strength, drawing on those leylines. The villainous rant may well have been that by disrupting them, she did, yes, force our hands by waking another ED. but has woken him prematurely this way, less powerful than he otherwise would have been.

Tarnished Coast| House Corvidae
Lord Ahrwit Valdyr/Isambard FitzValdyr/many more…

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I believe that just “disrupting” leylines was quite obvious and there’s no “feeding” the dragon
EDs are kind of magical guardians, keeping the magic in check. If they notice something strange or overflow of magic, they wake up.

Uh… No, they’re not guardians. They consume magic, and expell it while hibernating. This is what was meant when Angel said they balance magic. They aren’t guardians who keep it flowing. They’re apathetic consumers who eat and sweat out magic.

I have another possible theory.. Scarlet kept on claiming again and again how she had some ulterior motive, and we never got her villainous rant.
My bet is that Mordremoth has been lying gathering strength, drawing on those leylines. The villainous rant may well have been that by disrupting them, she did, yes, force our hands by waking another ED. but has woken him prematurely this way, less powerful than he otherwise would have been.

Issue is that the Elder Dragons need to consume magic to rise, and what did Scarlet do? She fed him magic.

She rose him true, but by doing exactly what Drakkar did to rise Jormag, and what the Great Destroyer was doing for Primordus. So he may have been weaker if left without anything feeding him (which was the case for Kralkatorrik thanks to Glint).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Liraz.8062

Liraz.8062

I’d buy this theory, if it were not for her gleeful – even on death’s door, gleeful! – gloating that Tyria will be serving a new master. She appeared corrupted thoroughly by the dragon, though how and why remain a mystery. If she thought she was doing Tyria a favor by waking him early, why would she gloat? It makes no sense.

If only the NPCs hadn’t been so utterly disinterested in her big villain explanation that they didn’t let her give, we’d have some answers to go off of, but alas. We don’t.

Firstwatch Irregular Company – RP, Tarnished Coast

in Lore

Posted by: Natsu.2589

Natsu.2589

I’d buy this theory, if it were not for her gleeful – even on death’s door, gleeful! – gloating that Tyria will be serving a new master. She appeared corrupted thoroughly by the dragon, though how and why remain a mystery. If she thought she was doing Tyria a favor by waking him early, why would she gloat? It makes no sense.

If only the NPCs hadn’t been so utterly disinterested in her big villain explanation that they didn’t let her give, we’d have some answers to go off of, but alas. We don’t.

At the moment, we all seem to assume, that she was corrupted and manipulated by a dragon (Mordremoth). I’m not so sure about this …

Does he really need help to awake? Furthermore, if dragons eat magic, why should disrupting ley lines be of any benefit to Mordremoth? Isn’t that like disrupting the food supply?

How about this? The disruption was supposed to be permanent, in order to starve the dragons, or at least “suffocate” Mordremoth in his sleep. What if Scarlet wasn’t corrupted by him, but by another mighty being (the, soon to show, new ruler of Tyria), that just wants to get rid of the dragons, to gain a foothold on Tyria?

Hm, but then again, Anet said it’s important that the villain for all this is a Sylvari. In this respect, it would make more sense, to connect her to Mordremoth. Or rather, to connect all the Sylvari to Mordremoth, in the end. I somehow still believe, Sylvari were meant to be Mordremoths minions – which would finally make them remotely interesting btw. :P

(edited by Natsu.2589)

in Lore

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Dragons wake up if there’s alot of Magic nearby. The Great Destroyer and Svanir were meant to open up a Ley Line so that magic would raise to the point where Primordus and Jormag would awake. We interfered with their attempts so only Kralkatorrik, Modremoth, Zhaitan and the Deep Sea Dragon awoke on schedule.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

At the moment, we all seem to assume, that she was corrupted and manipulated by a dragon (Mordremoth). I’m not so sure about this …

Does he really need help to awake? Furthermore, if dragons eat magic, why should disrupting ley lines be of any benefit to Mordremoth? Isn’t that like disrupting the food supply?

Both Primordus and Jormag had a dragon champion to help them wake up (Great Destroyer and Drakkar respectively), whom pushed for their waking by feeding them magic (though the Great Destroyer’s death set Primordus back). They can awaken without the aid of a champion (Primordus eventually did, as did Kralkatorrik), but it takes longer.

And the ley lines don’t go to the Elder Dragons, they’re just the paths of least resistance for moving magic in the world. Scarlet redirect the ley line(s) to Mordremoth, effectively giving him breakfast in bed.

How about this? The disruption was supposed to be permanent, in order to starve the dragons, or at least “suffocate” Mordremoth in his sleep. What if Scarlet wasn’t corrupted by him, but by another mighty being (the, soon to show, new ruler of Tyria), that just wants to get rid of the dragons, to gain a foothold on Tyria?

The end cinematic alone debunks this. The final shots shows the magic seeping into a dragon’s opening maw.

Hm, but then again, Anet said it’s important that the villain for all this is a Sylvari. In this respect, it would make more sense, to connect her to Mordremoth. Or rather, to connect all the Sylvari to Mordremoth, in the end. I somehow still believe, Sylvari were meant to be Mordremoths minions – which would finally make them remotely interesting btw. :P

Where did they say it was important to be a sylvari? IIRC, all that was said was that it was necessary for her to have studied at all three colleges, and that they chose a sylvari villain because they’re so new and without background thus can use fleshing out.

Dragons wake up if there’s alot of Magic nearby. The Great Destroyer and Svanir were meant to open up a Ley Line so that magic would raise to the point where Primordus and Jormag would awake. We interfered with their attempts so only Kralkatorrik, Modremoth, Zhaitan and the Deep Sea Dragon awoke on schedule.

Uh….

The Great Destroyer’s purpose was to feed Primordus magic, indeed, as well as wipe out all life. But nothing’s ever said about ley lines. Svanir has no stated “purpose” and all he did was kill a bunch of random traveling norn before disappearing. Drakkar, however, pulled magic from the Sons of Svanir and fed that into Jormag.

Ley lines have never been mentioned until Scarlet’s plot.

And Kralkatorrik might not have woken up “on schedule” as Glint was meant to wake him (so all indications go), but rebelled.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Natsu.2589

Both Primordus and Jormag had a dragon champion to help them wake up (Great Destroyer and Drakkar respectively), whom pushed for their waking by feeding them magic (though the Great Destroyer’s death set Primordus back). They can awaken without the aid of a champion (Primordus eventually did, as did Kralkatorrik), but it takes longer.

Somehow, that doesn’t make much sense. Dragons consume magic, when it’s on a peak level. Awakening the dragons before that point, would mean less food for them. Wouldn’t they go to sleep again more quickly then?

And the ley lines don’t go to the Elder Dragons, they’re just the paths of least resistance for moving magic in the world. Scarlet redirect the ley line(s) to Mordremoth, effectively giving him breakfast in bed.

Never said, they would go to the dragons. I have a problem with the second part. Redirecting? One console inside the drill clearly states, that this whole thing was meant to disrupt the ley lines. Just imagine, what would happen, if someone disrupts the ley lines permanently? That’s the interesting question here.

The end cinematic alone debunks this. The final shots shows the magic seeping into a dragon’s opening maw.

It seems to seep into a maw, yes. But was that really intended by Scarlet? I’m not sure, atm. However, I think, in the end, the most obvious will be true. Mordremoth made her wake him. <scratches head>… If he can do that, … isn’t he already awake? Why doesn’t he simply rise? … Anyway, this ‘disrupting-’ and ‘need-help-thing’ seems somewhat odd to me, as said.

Where did they say it was important to be a sylvari? IIRC, all that was said was that it was necessary for her to have studied at all three colleges, and that they chose a sylvari villain because they’re so new and without background thus can use fleshing out.

There was an article on Massively about that. They gave certain people information about the future story, and based on that, the author said it’s important that Scarlet is a Sylvari and not an Asura (or any another race). So, yeah, you’re right – Anet probably never said it, but it was the conclusion of this writer.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Somehow, that doesn’t make much sense. Dragons consume magic, when it’s on a peak level. Awakening the dragons before that point, would mean less food for them. Wouldn’t they go to sleep again more quickly then?

The Elder Dragons’ goal isn’t to consume magic and go to sleep.

“The rule of the living has ended. This is the time of the Elder Dragons. Thus begins the time of Zhaitan and of Orr. The day of their ultimate victory is close.” – Captain Whiting, Sea of Sorrows, Page 426
“Long ago, I lived in a dragon-dominated world.” – Glint, Edge of Destiny, Page 339
“Tyria will bow before a new master.” – Scarlet Briar, Battle of Lion’s Arch, Scarlet’s End

And more I’m surely forgetting. The dragons seem bent on ruling, not just simply “I’ll eat a bit of magic and go to sleep.”

They just need magic to stay awake. And six Elder Dragons is perhaps too much for the world.

Never said, they would go to the dragons. I have a problem with the second part. Redirecting? One console inside the drill clearly states, that this whole thing was meant to disrupt the ley lines. Just imagine, what would happen, if someone disrupts the ley lines permanently? That’s the interesting question here.

You said that disrupting the ley lines is like disrupting his food supply, ergo you were saying they go to the dragons.

And did you even watch the cinematic? By disrupting, she diverted and thus redirected the magic to the dragon.

It seems to seep into a maw, yes. But was that really intended by Scarlet? I’m not sure, atm. However, I think, in the end, the most obvious will be true. Mordremoth made her wake him. <scratches head>… If he can do that, … isn’t he already awake? Why doesn’t he simply rise? … Anyway, this ‘disrupting-’ and ‘need-help-thing’ seems somewhat odd to me, as said.

Take an engineer in, you get the dialogue I’m putting in the attachments.

There was an article on Massively about that. They gave certain people information about the future story, and based on that, the author said it’s important that Scarlet is a Sylvari and not an Asura (or any another race). So, yeah, you’re right – Anet probably never said it, but it was the conclusion of this writer.

Link?

Attachments:

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Aethgar.1784

Aethgar.1784

The flavour text on the completed spinal blades intrigues me. It suggests that Scarlet saw something she had to do and went mad.. something which was a faustian deal? I don’t know.

Tarnished Coast| House Corvidae
Lord Ahrwit Valdyr/Isambard FitzValdyr/many more…

in Lore

Posted by: Xukavi.4320

Xukavi.4320

@Konig: That dialogue is indeed interesting, what if we have it the other way around. She wanted to disrupt the flow of magic, and that caught the attention of the dragon which caused him to start influencing her. What if her plans were to actually disrupt the flow in order to keep the magic from flowing to Mordy. Imo, this would fit nicely with the idea that it was Mordy’s plan and not Scarlet’s. Basically, Mordy used Scarlet tricking her into thinking she’d be denying him his awakening but in reality she was helping him.

Then again, I probably just want a twist to the story since I feel its really bland.

Elyas Wolfbane – Ranger, Xukavi – Thief

in Lore

Mickey Frogeater.1470

@Konig: That dialogue is indeed interesting, what if we have it the other way around. She wanted to disrupt the flow of magic, and that caught the attention of the dragon which caused him to start influencing her. What if her plans were to actually disrupt the flow in order to keep the magic from flowing to Mordy. Imo, this would fit nicely with the idea that it was Mordy’s plan and not Scarlet’s. Basically, Mordy used Scarlet tricking her into thinking she’d be denying him his awakening but in reality she was helping him.

Then again, I probably just want a twist to the story since I feel its really bland.

Her words state that “Tyria will bow to it’s new master!”

That’s a blatant statement of service to Modremoth if ever I saw one.

She of course has shown signs of wanting the public to give her and not her master the credit for her method of awakening her master(her ego is as big as her humongous drill it seems).

in Lore

Jelle.4623

She of course has shown signs of wanting the public to give her and not her master the credit for her method of awakening her master(her ego is as big as her humongous drill it seems).

The fact that she has an ego makes it all the more likely that she is not corrupted . When do dragon minions ever have an ego?

in Lore

Mickey Frogeater.1470

What personality do Sons of Svanir have? If they have egos then we may have our answer…

in Lore

Jelle.4623

Sons of Svanir are not corrupted though. They are a cult, there is a difference.

‘The Sons of Svanir are a cult of male norn who have turned to seek the power of the Elder Dragon Jormag, whom they call Dragon, believing it to be the ultimate totem spirit and in turn worship it rather than revering the Spirits of the Wild.’

Icebrood are corrupted,
Sons of Svanir are a cult.

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

I find that pic fascinating…

“This is what captured the attention of the dragon we heard.” I’m hoping this is from the character’s PoV, because didn’t she have the Mordy’s attention before hand? The whole slowly driving her insane enough to finally give into it would require a little of it, I would imagine or hope.

Also, they heard the dragon all the from LA? I’m surprised.

in Lore

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

Just throwing this out there, but its quite possible, particularly if Modremoth is linked to the Dream, that it wasn’t Modremoth who possessed Scarlet but a Champion of Mordremoth. Most other EDs had a dragon to pave the way save for Zhaitan and he may have for all we know. After all Orr was under the waves, cursed and already a source of undead.

The Nightmare could easily be the work of some previously dormant champion or perhaps a corrupted ‘Pale Tree’. We see Sons of Svanir use a Havroun to gain access to the Mists. Perhaps Modremoth or one of his minions could have corrupted one of the Pale Tree’s siblings to gain access to the Dream in a similar fashion.

Scarlet, in the end, was a puppet. We still have much to learn about the puppet master.

in Lore

Xukavi.4320

I just watched the whole fight with Scarlet and the cutscene so yea it does seem she wanted to awaken Mordy.

in Lore

Jelle.4623

Not only awaking though, she’s feeding him magic. She redirected the ley lines to him, breakfast on bed. It’s very likely that he will grow very strong, very fast.

(edited by Jelle.4623)

in Lore

Xukavi.4320

Yea, I just hope they capitalize on this with the next living story update. If we take it as he’s being spoon fed magic then like you said he should grow strong pretty fast which n that case we should witness his rise in the next update or at least hints of his rise in the next update. Also, the whole of Tyria should technically be changed from that explosion of the ley line.

in Lore

Jelle.4623

Why should Tyria technically be changed? Maybe at Lion’s Arch, but my take on the cut scene is that what we saw of the ley lines was just to make it visible to us and where it was traveling to.

in Lore

Natsu.2589

The Elder Dragons’ goal isn’t to consume magic and go to sleep.

“The rule of the living has ended. This is the time of the Elder Dragons. Thus begins the time of Zhaitan and of Orr. The day of their ultimate victory is close.” – Captain Whiting, Sea of Sorrows, Page 426
“Long ago, I lived in a dragon-dominated world.” – Glint, Edge of Destiny, Page 339
“Tyria will bow before a new master.” – Scarlet Briar, Battle of Lion’s Arch, Scarlet’s End

And more I’m surely forgetting. The dragons seem bent on ruling, not just simply “I’ll eat a bit of magic and go to sleep.”

They just need magic to stay awake. And six Elder Dragons is perhaps too much for the world.

Never said it was their goal. Your own words: “They just need magic to stay awake”. So, when they have consumed all magic, they go to sleep again. I suppose, the same thing would happen, if some ominous beings lock away magic in something like, say, magical stones … ? Or if some weirdo decided to disrupt the magic flow? … Or if the magic sinks on a very low level, within a short time frame? I think, you get the point.

You said that disrupting the ley lines is like disrupting his food supply, ergo you were saying they go to the dragons.

And did you even watch the cinematic? By disrupting, she diverted and thus redirected the magic to the dragon.

Nothing ergo. I don’t even know yet, how these ley lines function exactly. I just read “disrupt”, and normally this word goes along the lines of “deny sb. smth.”, and not “redirect”. In the end, I have my problems believing, that piercing a nexus of magical energy somehow conveniently “redirects” the magical flow, precisely to one comparatively tiny spot inside of Tyria.

And yes, I saw the cinematic several times. To be honest, I don’t see a tangible diversion. I see an explosion and one, or maybe different streams of magic flowing through the ground. Finally there is a maw in the ground, that supposedly inhales some of the magic. It’s not necessarily an evidence, however. I’m not convinced, at this point, that there is nothing more than meets the eye.

Take an engineer in, you get the dialogue I’m putting in the attachments.

What you see there, is an assumption of your engineer. Scarlet was at least partly insane, and passed crash curses of every Rata Sum academy. Do you really believe, your character figured it all out, with a simple glance at a console?

Link?

No. To be honest, I don’t like your attitude much. Deliberately so or not, for me, you somehow leave behind a rather arrogant impression. I’ve given you a direction, you can dig through the side yourself, if you want. I think it was somewhere in the “Flameseeker Chronicles” column. Look it up, believe me or not – I really don’t care.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The Nightmare could easily be the work of some previously dormant champion or perhaps a corrupted ‘Pale Tree’. We see Sons of Svanir use a Havroun to gain access to the Mists. Perhaps Modremoth or one of his minions could have corrupted one of the Pale Tree’s siblings to gain access to the Dream in a similar fashion.

Nice theory. I love the idea of a champion rather than Mordremoth causing Scarlet’s insanity. But it should be noted that Malyck held no Dream of Dreams experience (it wasn’t amnesia), so combined with the White Stag means the Dream is not something the sylvari trees hold alone, but rather seems to be locational.

Doesn’t prevent the champion-causes-the-Nightmare idea, but takes it a new route.

Hmmm… the Great Jungle Wurm’s hinted to be the source of the Wychmire Swamp darkness, and hinted to not be the ultimate source, and it never dies (it wakes up and goes back underground when timer resets). Perhaps the Great Jungle Wurm, with such proximity to the biggest Nightmare Court base, is the source of the Nightmare as a mere champion for Mordremoth?

Never said it was their goal. Your own words: “They just need magic to stay awake”. So, when they have consumed all magic, they go to sleep again. I suppose, the same thing would happen, if some ominous beings lock away magic in something like, say, magical stones … ? Or if some weirdo decided to disrupt the magic flow? … Or if the magic sinks on a very low level, within a short time frame? I think, you get the point.

Your wording made it sound like their goal was to consume magic and then go back to sleep.

Nothing ergo. I don’t even know yet, how these ley lines function exactly. I just read “disrupt”, and normally this word goes along the lines of “deny sb. smth.”, and not “redirect”. In the end, I have my problems believing, that piercing a nexus of magical energy somehow conveniently “redirects” the magical flow, precisely to one comparatively tiny spot inside of Tyria.

And yes, I saw the cinematic several times. To be honest, I don’t see a tangible diversion. I see an explosion and one, or maybe different streams of magic flowing through the ground. Finally there is a maw in the ground, that supposedly inhales some of the magic. It’s not necessarily an evidence, however. I’m not convinced, at this point, that there is nothing more than meets the eye.

disrupt doesn’t mean deny, but to alter. Which can lead to redirecting. The fact that the Elder Dragon – stated to be a dragon, at least, and a loud one at that much like Kralkatorrik’s awakening (Edge of Destiny, page 341 if you have the book) – began moving and consuming the magic…

It seems pretty obvious she was feeding Mordremoth.

Though considering it passes through Thaumanova, a known location of multiple ley lines, perhaps what she did was prevent flow of magic to the other ley lines, thus “blocking” all paths but one.

What you see there, is an assumption of your engineer. Scarlet was at least partly insane, and passed crash curses of every Rata Sum academy. Do you really believe, your character figured it all out, with a simple glance at a console?

There’s more than just that, and non-engineers don’t get it. Plus it’s more than just a simple glance at a console – it’s everything that Scarlet’s been doing. From beginning to end, including – perhaps most importantly – the stuff in Scarlet’s lair under the Priory and the Study of Scarlet during Edge of the Mists.

No. To be honest, I don’t like your attitude much. Deliberately so or not, for me, you somehow leave behind a rather arrogant impression. I’ve given you a direction, you can dig through the side yourself, if you want. I think it was somewhere in the “Flameseeker Chronicles” column. Look it up, believe me or not – I really don’t care.

Talk about the kettle calling the pot black.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

The fact that she has an ego makes it all the more likely that she is not corrupted . When do dragon minions ever have an ego?

Svanir had an ego.

in Lore

RedStar.4218

Svanir had an ego.

I can only find one quote of Svanir which doesn’t sound at all like he had an ego.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Since Natsu doesn’t care to do it, here’s what he’s talking about:

Why is she a Sylvari? It might be solely because she needs to reveal something important about her race, but apart from that it seems like ArenaNet missed an opportunity by not making her an Asura. Most of her background wouldn’t have had to consist of explaining why she’s adrift because she’d fit in naturally. The great sticking point of her having attended and excelled at all three of Rata Sum’s colleges would make sense for an Asuran supervillain. Nearly everything about her premise would have been easier to swallow.
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12/10/flameseeker-chronicles-the-trouble-with-scarlet-in-guild-wars-2/, dated December 10th.

“(I want to go on record here as having been wrong about the “Scarlet should have been an Asura” thing)"
http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01/21/flameseeker-chronicles-the-calm-before-guild-wars-2s-next-rele/, dated January 21st, after the author had been given a preview of future story.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: MidnightX.6294

MidnightX.6294

summary: dragons devour magic, scarlet interrupted the ley-lines which are pure magic?
(we saw in the video, the interruption cracked tyria’s ground level, made
the ley-lines become a giant stow-dam and woke up the dragon) that means she planed to awake the dragon for the reason to face the evil (like her diary said).
But besides all the murdering and madness to make her plan work, she was intelligent, and saw something in the eternal alchemy, nobody else does.
And since Sylvari were always born to save Tyria, maybe Scarlet tried the same… as the crazy, murdering, madwoman she was.

And since Scarlet said, that Caithe did something nasty and i still wonder what it could be – so here my theory: Scarlet did something to wake up the dragon, Caithe did something to… -idk- stop her or helped her doing it? But i also think this will have a consequences in later story because Caithe’s decision could have been wrong for the more long-sighted-Scarlet (or its all vice versa and she will always be the mad girl^^).

(edited by MidnightX.6294)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

she planed to awake the dragon for the reason to face the evil (like her diary said).

[…]

And since Sylvari were always born to save Tyria, maybe Scarlet tried the same… as the crazy, murdering, madwoman she was.

…Why do people keep trying to make Scarlet sound like a good guy?

She isn’t. She wasn’t. She was selfish, egotistical, and possibly a dragon minion.

The journal doesn’t say she’s going to fight a dragon anyways.

It communicated with me through images of death, destruction, and destiny. I must know more. I must confront it and put an end to this madness.

Add on the tone of voice for it, and you get that she’s going to confront it to learn more from it. To put an end to the madness, by answering her questions.

And in A Study in Scarlet, we’re spoon fed this line:

Player: Something is driving her—something she was afraid of but has since embraced.
Marjory Delaqua: Scared? What could possibly frighten someone like Scarlet?
Kasmeer Meade: She saw something while hooked up to Omadd’s machine. Something that broke her. She’s hearing voices in her head. But what are they telling her to do?

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

RedStar.4218

If this was Nightfall, I’d say that the bad thing Caithe did was trigger something that started awakening the dragon. Kind of like what Kormir did.
But I really doubt that this is the case.

As for Scarlet being a good guy : Anet used to love having character kind of good, but also kind of bad. Unfortunately, it generally was a character that :
-was evil and pretending to be good (the Lich)
-was evil for us and good for others (Mursaat/Early White Mantle)
-maybe there was a character that started good, but became evil with time (can’t recall one at the time).

The only example I can think of a character that was bad and turned good was Morgahn. But he wasn’t bad : he was following someone he thought was good and when he realized his mistakes, he tried to make amends.

Scarlet won’t ever turn out to be a fully good guy. But I also hope that she isn’t just a crazy sylvari that surrendered to a dragon without a fight (or the intention of a fight). You could say that she tried fighting it in her mind, but that seems unlike her to just think “Oh I’ll just shoo it away through my mind and if that doesn’t work I’ll just bow to it as my master”.

in Lore

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

she planed to awake the dragon for the reason to face the evil (like her diary said).

[…]

She isn’t. She wasn’t. She was selfish, egotistical, and possibly a dragon minion.

The journal doesn’t say she’s going to fight a dragon anyways.

It communicated with me through images of death, destruction, and destiny. I must know more. I must confront it and put an end to this madness.

Add on the tone of voice for it, and you get that she’s going to confront it to learn more from it. To put an end to the madness, by answering her questions.

And in A Study in Scarlet, we’re spoon fed this line:

Player: Something is driving her—something she was afraid of but has since embraced.
Marjory Delaqua: Scared? What could possibly frighten someone like Scarlet?
Kasmeer Meade: She saw something while hooked up to Omadd’s machine. Something that broke her. She’s hearing voices in her head. But what are they telling her to do?

Just because she wanted to kill the Dragon doesn’t make her good, or sane. Vizier Khilbron was quite possibly insane when he unleashed the cataclysm, but he thought he was doing the right thing. I think Scarlet honestly thought she was doing the right thing, like a lot of insane megalomaniacs do.

I have to wonder, if she was a servant of Mordremoth, why so coy about it? Why not just name him? Zhaitans minions are all Zhaintain this, and Zhaintan that. Why doesn’t she say come out and say she’s bringing about the rule of Mordremoth.

in Lore

Erukk.1408

I have to wonder, if she was a servant of Mordremoth, why so coy about it? Why not just name him? Zhaitans minions are all Zhaintain this, and Zhaintan that. Why doesn’t she say come out and say she’s bringing about the rule of Mordremoth.

Because Zhaitan’s minions were corrupted, and they were fully brainwashed by the time we see them. The only thing they have on their mind is their Elder Dragon 100% of the time.

As far as we know, Scarlet was only influenced by “the Entity” at the time of her death. The markings on the sides of her face suggest the possibility of corruption, but until we get confirmation on it; we only know she had been under the Entity’s influence.

in Lore

DarcShriek.5829

Because Zhaitan’s minions were corrupted, and they were fully brainwashed by the time we see them. The only thing they have on their mind is their Elder Dragon 100% of the time.

As far as we know, Scarlet was only influenced by “the Entity” at the time of her death. The markings on the sides of her face suggest the possibility of corruption, but until we get confirmation on it; we only know she had been under the Entity’s influence.

What would you consider to be confirmation? It sounds like you need a neon sign the screams “Scarlet was corrupted!”. Your not going to get it. You have all the clues you’re going to get and there are lots of them out there.

in Lore

DarcShriek.5829

She didn’t know who was corrupting her. Her journal makes it clear that she didn’t know.

in Lore

Posted by: Syryn.7591

Syryn.7591

I think we’re missing a key point of Scarlet’s character here and that is her independence. I don’t believe she was under Mordremoth’s control in helping to wake him up, I believe she did it because she wanted to do it and that’s that, not because anything was pulling her to. In her short story it talks about how she recognized something (possibly Mordremoth) as a force that was swaying the Sylvari in one way or another and she wanted to set that force and another(s) against each other. To manipulate them – her manipulation was possibly awakening Mordremoth long before he should’ve been awakened.

“I’ve learned so much,” Scarlet continued. “Now I have to put that knowledge to use. An insurmountable challenge is rising, and my people have been called to meet it. We are compelled by our creator to do so.
“But I reject that call. I reject the notion that that I must choose the Dream or be lost to Nightmare. The forces that push us this way or that can be redirected. They can be set against one another to the detriment of both, and now I know how.

So no, I don’t think in the end she was anyone’s servant but her own. She died with a smile on her face and an army destroying everything around her. She embraced technology and science, which to put frankly, could be considered the opposite of a Jungle Dragon. But eh what do I know.

Entryn ele
I main an ele but playeth all the things
[FLOT]

in Lore

Erukk.1408

What would you consider to be confirmation? It sounds like you need a neon sign the screams “Scarlet was corrupted!”. Your not going to get it. You have all the clues you’re going to get and there are lots of them out there.

What would I consider a confirmation?

…An actual confirmation? Whether it be a dev quote confirming such or a quote ingame stating it. Until then, we only have theories stating the suspected corruption. Having a corrupted sylvari would set a precedent in the lore, since it would in direct opposition to their stated immunity to Elder Dragon corruption. We will need facts and a confirmation to back up this new information. Theories just won’t be enough.

in Lore

Posted by: CorneliusCoffin.3169

CorneliusCoffin.3169

I have a problem with this whole “Scarlet wants to intrrupt the leylines to wake up Modremoth”-theory.
It’s that in the Thaumanova Reactor Fractal she says:

At least they helped identify the network of magical channels that crisscross the globe. That was a breakthrough. Now we know how NOT to do this kind of research right on an intersection of those channels.

This is something I never really understood. Scarlett basically knew that there was an intersection of ley lines beneath thaumanova reactor. If she wanted to simply disrupt them, why not just drill there? Especially since they seem to be fairly close to Modremoth’s estimated location. From the schemematic on the wall inside of the breachmaker it seems, however, that her intention was to find the “center” of the ley lines. (which could either be where they all meet or where they all originate.) I’m not an expert on dragon magic but wouldn’t that mean that all of the elder dragons get affected by her drilling there?

in Lore

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

I have a problem with this whole “Scarlet wants to intrrupt the leylines to wake up Modremoth”-theory.

At least they helped identify the network of magical channels that crisscross the globe. That was a breakthrough. Now we know how NOT to do this kind of research right on an intersection of those channels.

This is something I never really understood. Scarlett basically knew that there was an intersection of ley lines beneath thaumanova reactor. If she wanted to simply disrupt them, why not just drill there? Especially since they seem to be fairly close to Modremoth’s estimated location. From the schemematic on the wall inside of the breachmaker it seems, however, that her intention was to find the “center” of the ley lines. (which could either be where they all meet or where they all originate.) I’m not an expert on dragon magic but wouldn’t that mean that all of the elder dragons get affected by her drilling there?

Maybe it was an intersection of the wrong leylines?

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Lore

Posted by: CorneliusCoffin.3169

CorneliusCoffin.3169

Which is exactly my point.
There were six elder dragons. Wit Zhaitan being dead, we now have five of them left. , Kralkatorik is somewhere between Elona and the Crysal Desert. Jormag is in the Far Shiverpeaks, Primordus is still somewhere underground and we don’t exactly know where and “Bubbles” is said to be somewhere in the unending ocean. If there are intersecting leylines somewhere in the Maguma Jungle region, they’re most certainly leading to Mordremoth. If Scarlet just wanted to disrupt the ley lines leading to Mordremoth, she could have done it right there.
However, for whatever reason, she had to disrupt the ley lines right where they converge. No matter if she intends to simply disrupt or recalibrate the flow of magic from there, it’s got to have an impact on all the remaining elder dragons, not just one.

in Lore

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

That last cutscene was amazing! like, i don’t know how to put it any other way. it was fantastic. And i also liked animation interaction between Kasmeer and Delaqua, not just because ya got 2 chicks kissing’ each other right there XD but honestly, it wasn’t just the normal animations that you’d see from an average scene. The motion between Rox and Braham could’ve been something like that because it did look a little awkward. but then Kasmeer and Delaqua just took the cake lol

That’s because normal GW2 cutscenes use all the same few standing animations plus the “gestures” animations.
Extremely limited and honestly a bit weird for this day and age.
I remember MGS that was out in 1998 had better animations on the cutscenes, and mind you the PS1 had 2MB of RAM.

I’m not expecting GW2 to have cutscenes like Mass Effect, Uncharted or Metal Gear, but I wonder how expensive it is to rent a cheap old mo cap studio for some basic stuff, specially because the ingame movement (direction change for example) is actually quite nice.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Because Anti-Heros are cool, and Canach isn’t scratching that itch any more.

or maybe by “how not do this kind of research” she meant rip a hole in the space time continuum.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

She didn’t know who was corrupting her. Her journal makes it clear that she didn’t know.

Which is clear proof that she wasn’t corrupted. As corruption includes mental links to the Elder Dragon and minions who shouldn’t know their Elder Dragons’ name (read: the Orrian risen) in their life suddenly know Zhaitan’s name even in short death (same happened with the Branded in Edge of Destiny, I believe).

Corruption = dragon minion = mental link with the Elder Dragon and fanaticism towards that dragon, thus knowing the Elder Dragon’s name. The notion she didn’t know who was influencing her mind acts as evidence against Scarlet being corrupted.

I think we’re missing a key point of Scarlet’s character here and that is her independence. I don’t believe she was under Mordremoth’s control in helping to wake him up, I believe she did it because she wanted to do it and that’s that, not because anything was pulling her to. In her short story it talks about how she recognized something (possibly Mordremoth) as a force that was swaying the Sylvari in one way or another and she wanted to set that force and another(s) against each other. To manipulate them – her manipulation was possibly awakening Mordremoth long before he should’ve been awakened.

“I’ve learned so much,” Scarlet continued. “Now I have to put that knowledge to use. An insurmountable challenge is rising, and my people have been called to meet it. We are compelled by our creator to do so.
“But I reject that call. I reject the notion that that I must choose the Dream or be lost to Nightmare. The forces that push us this way or that can be redirected. They can be set against one another to the detriment of both, and now I know how.

So no, I don’t think in the end she was anyone’s servant but her own. She died with a smile on her face and an army destroying everything around her. She embraced technology and science, which to put frankly, could be considered the opposite of a Jungle Dragon. But eh what do I know.

Scarlet Briar: Ever since I came out of Omadd’s machine, you’ve been taking credit for my ideas. They are mine! Not yours.
Scarlet Briar: Let me be clear. I’m not doing this for you; I’m doing it for me. Nobody tells me what to do. Not ever.
Scarlet Briar: It’s not true. None of it. I don’t have to listen to you. Get out of my head!
Marjory Delaqua: I wonder if the voices in her head are real? What if what she saw in Omadd’s machine grabbed hold of her?
Marjory Delaqua: Scarlet rejected the Pale Tree because she wanted independence. What if Omadd’s machine cost her that?
Marjory Delaqua: Ironic that she rejected the Pale Tree to exert her independence, only to lose it to something else.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Dead_End:_A_Study_in_Scarlet#Holo-recordings

This bit acts as proof, IMO, that her journal happens after the machine experience. Yes, she sought independence, yes she seems to have gained that from the machine, but over time it seems that the machine – in truth – cost her independence.

Dear ANet writers,