Interracial relationship

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: Bellyboomer.3048

Bellyboomer.3048

Yeah, that’s todays topic. Over on the asura forum, this thread is going on:

“So, I can’t stop thinking about handsome charrs. I am Asura and proud to be. I just can’t help but to think how cute charr are and how I want to hug and cuttle their soft fur. Do you think it’s romantic? Or do you asura and/or charr think the same? Do you even think a romance is possible.”

" It could happen. Most Asura are attracted to brains, and Charr are attracted to strength/ferocity, but it’s a big, wide world out there. Somewhere out there I’m sure there’s a Charr who wants a cute little Asura partner for his very own.
For the record, my male Charr is currently in a relationship with a female human."

So yeah… I think they are confusing possibility with their own weird desires, but I’ve come to you guys for a broader perspective. Do Tyrians go freaky with other races?

Given anything we know about the races, their behavior and their culture, I think it’s near impossible, except for the occasional freaky outcast (which probably doesn’t involve a cute relationship like these fangirls want, but more of a sexual deviant one). Your thought?

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

I don’t think there are any strong examples of interracial relationships in lore, but it is possible. I think the most we have gotten is one-sided attractions. No children would ever come from those relationships though. We do have dev confirmation on that part.

The relationships would most likely to occur in places of a lot of racial mixing (LA, the Orders, the Pact, pirate crews, etc.), since most of the major cities have only really started opening themselves up awhile ago.

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

I still think that Asura with other races is too dangerous for him, and his logic should prevent him from mingling with bookahs.

# Asura because I’m worth it!

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

You’ve pretty much hit it on the head, Bellyboomer. It’s very, very, very uncommon, but it can and does happen, and I don’t even know that you could say it’s “freaky”- there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of stigma or societal outcasting in Tyria regarding sexual preferences, but also, I don’t see why such relationships would have to be sexual. I would imagine they would lean towards playing out like a typical relationship among one of the participating races, or at weirdest a fusion of two different cultural relationship styles. Such a thing would be no more sexual than a ‘normal’ relationship, and in a few cases I would bet that it’d be much less so- can you imagine any comfortable way for an asura to do it with a charr (or norn)?

As a side note, it’s dev-confirmed that none of the major races are interfertile.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

It’s not interracial. It’s inter-species. Interracial would be a human Canthan getting married or involved in a relationship with a human from Kourna or Vabbi or Ascalon Settlement.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Given anything we know about the races, their behavior and their culture, I think it’s near impossible, except for the occasional freaky outcast (which probably doesn’t involve a cute relationship like these fangirls want, but more of a sexual deviant one). Your thought?

Sure, it’s going to be very looked down upon within the capitals, but such a relationship would NOT be about having kids, and frankly I could see it easily being non-sexual for a long while.

I could see it happening in LA, or (as others said), perhaps in the orders, Pact, or some other multiracial group.

You are basically stereotyping the races and refusing to even go into reasonable thinking about it(or consider options). What if the Asura and Charr in question were very interested in the other races tech, met/lived in LA (or were both in the priory or another Order.), and grew into a relationship that way?

YES, it’d be awkward. YES, they’d be looked down on when within the capitals (Rata Sum or Black citadel)… but it’s possible.

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

During a Live stream, Angel McCoy said there weren’t going to be highlighted interracial relationships (this was in response to being asked if Braham and Rox will become a couple) – though as we can see in-game, they do make jokes of humans interested in norn and sylvari romantically or sexually (but thus far never the other way around).

This said, there really isn’t saying such cannot happen – just that such wouldn’t be highlighted anytime soon.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Bellyboomer.3048

I’ve given it some more thought and I admit I’ve been to radical. In real life I support homosexual rights because I believe adults should be able to make their own choices, so if I would live in a world with more than one inteligent races, I would support their right of free choice to have interspecies (happy now Iason? :p) relationships. I think my fear of encountering some freaky fanfics or rule 34 on my precious forum got the better of me.

Yet, given the racial characteristics, I’d say it’s still near impossible, or at least for Asura and Charr.
Not only does the Asuran culture dictate that they’re superior to other races, they are arrogant in nature. You can argue that there are exceptions, but even exceptions seem verry unlikely in a society where you’re supposed to be as objective as possible and try to establish your superiority in order to ‘be someone’. ‘Lowering themselves’ to relationships with other races seem more of a taboo with the Asura than any other race. Plus their arrogance causes other races to loathe them (not all Asura ofcourse, but it happens often).
So both for nature and nurture, I say no-go.

Interspecies relationships with Charr aren’t unlikely because of their nature, but their culture is a different story. As a Charr, everything in your life is tied to being in a warband. These warbands are strict and even dogmatic. Friendship with other races could already be a problem if you have an extra mean legionnaire, but relationships would really be frowned upon. With that in mind, a Charr would certainly think twice before starting a relationship. Even a Gladium, raised by the rules of the legions, could still be to proud to ever get freaky. And keep in mind that every Charr-player is in a warband (unless you’ve got some role-playing thing going).

The humans are neutral, some will frown some will not, depends on your enviroment.
Sylvari are curious in nature, so that’s a real possibility.
Norm are also rather free minded. Some Norm might even be proud of the fact they could conquer men or women from other races…

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

I’d disagree with your analysis of the asura, actually. Those are certainly the cultural standards of their race, but the asura are so loose-knit that many, perhaps even the majority, of those that venture out of the homogenous cultural centers don’t give a fig about that. We have plenty of examples of asura working abroad who treat other races as full equals, if a bit slow on the uptake.

I do agree with you on the charr point, but there is a workaround- Lion’s Arch has given rise to charr who are born and raised entirely outside of the legions, with no fahrar, warband, or military regulations.

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

I would rather see Anet’s time, work, and resources go into further developing the actual lore of the gameworld, but that’s just me.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Is it possible to have interspecies relationships in GW2?
I’d say yes, mainly because it depends on if the writers want it.
They’ve already said that any possible couplings would be infertile anyways.

Do we have any canonical references to such a thing?
We have slight examples of friendship that might be taken that way if you read it in a certain slant.
For example Macha from the book Sea of Sorrows . At one point in the story she pretty much betrays her friends because she wanted Cobiah and her to run away together and have adventures.

Whether this Asura had deep feelings for this human or not, I don’t know.
We do see though that there’s a need for companionship with others that aren’t of their own race.

Even within the Pact there’s Fia and Jasper (Sylvari and Human). Jasper came back to find her because

“I followed you. I didn’t want to, at first, but I realized camp was a lot less interesting without you.”

It has been a while since I did that event.
I’m unsure of the tone and how he says it, but it could be taken as a simple moment between friends. It could also be taken that he does like her.

Then there’s the occasional background stuff like the human who drunkenly brags, “Met an Asura the other day. She called me bookah. I think she likes me.”

Also there’s a Norn Lionguard woman who hits on Charr and Norn at Twinspur Haven Waypoint. She asks if you like to drink or fight, with a charm option as a reply.
When attempting to talk with her as a smaller race (human/slyvari/asura) she isn’t as interested.

Apparently she likes big guys.

So is it possible? Yes the writers have delightfully given enough wriggle room to eventually make such a thing occur. Could a Charr and Asura create sparks together? I think so. It would be interesting to see a Iron Legion Charr have a relationship with an Asura because of intellect. Maybe have some Asura Warrior hang with a Blood Legion Charr more than his Asuran pals because they get along so much easier.

We’ve seen a lot of examples of companionship, it doesn’t take that much to bump into something more if the writers want to do it.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Even within the Pact there’s Fia and Jasper (Sylvari and Human). Jasper came back to find her because

“I followed you. I didn’t want to, at first, but I realized camp was a lot less interesting without you.”

It has been a while since I did that event.
I’m unsure of the tone and how he says it, but it could be taken as a simple moment between friends. It could also be taken that he does like her.

If you talk to him during and after he does give hints of having more-than-friends feelings for her. But she’s oblivious to it. That was actually the event I had in mind with my own post where we see humans interested in sylvari but no sign of any sylvari interested in humans.

Also there’s a Norn Lionguard woman who hits on Charr and Norn at Twinspur Haven Waypoint. She asks if you like to drink or fight, with a charm option as a reply.
When attempting to talk with her as a smaller race (human/slyvari/asura) she isn’t as interested.

Apparently she likes big guys.

Or she likes those who look like tough fighers who can hold their ales – because she’s a norn, and norn in general tend to love fights and drinking contests (or just drinking). I don’t read anything special into that (or the drunken line about asura hitting on him by calling him a bookah, that’s more a joke on human ignorance).

There are a couple examples of humans liking norn though – before destruction in LA there were two human females who comment on two passing norn, one of which blatantly gives a sultry comment on the man. In Timberline Falls there’s a Vigil patrol where a human guy is constantly trying to woo a female norn with poetry (and she’s constantly turning him down).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Bellyboomer.3048

I’d disagree with your analysis of the asura, actually. Those are certainly the cultural standards of their race, but the asura are so loose-knit that many, perhaps even the majority, of those that venture out of the homogenous cultural centers don’t give a fig about that. We have plenty of examples of asura working abroad who treat other races as full equals, if a bit slow on the uptake.

I see your point, but I can’t think of any example where the Asura doesn’t have any arrogant undertones. Even Asura aboard always try to act objectively and in the name of science… Which leads me to believe they all share those same core characteristics. But feel free to prove me wrong. The only exception are pirates I think.

I would rather see Anet’s time, work, and resources go into further developing the actual lore of the gameworld, but that’s just me.

Yeah, but while we wait for actual content, we can spend our time debating nonsense like this

Is it possible to have interspecies relationships in GW2?
I’d say yes, mainly because it depends on if the writers want it.

I think the devs won’t ever give us a conclusive answer on that.

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

There are a couple examples of humans liking norn though – before destruction in LA there were two human females who comment on two passing norn, one of which blatantly gives a sultry comment on the man.

I remember that one…

In Timberline Falls there’s a Vigil patrol where a human guy is constantly trying to woo a female norn with poetry (and she’s constantly turning him down).

That one is new to me, I’ll have to go looking in that map again.
It is so nice to see nuggets like this when walking around.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

I play Asuras, and for me this race is definitely no reason to relate to others.

The bookahs are gigantic monsters, ridiculous and stupid. No interest.

And I find it really disgusting to have an attraction to them.

• goes his way *
# Asura because I’m worth it!

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

I see your point, but I can’t think of any example where the Asura doesn’t have any arrogant undertones. Even Asura aboard always try to act objectively and in the name of science… Which leads me to believe they all share those same core characteristics. But feel free to prove me wrong. The only exception are pirates I think.

Macha is the obvious answer, who at least didn’t start as any more pirate than your typical asura. Zojja, Snaff, and Kranxx all to varying degrees let their hearts rule their heads, and though I will grant that two of the three practically oozed condescension, in real life I’ve found ample examples of people either looking past, or, on the odd occasion, being attracted to that trait. I agree that asura are often flavored by arrogance, but not always to levels that would be difficult for a relationship to get past.

Outside of the books, it’s harder to pin down characters. Even major story NPCs barely had anything fleshing them out until the Living Story rolled around. Still, there are a number of NPCs outside of Rata Sum that mention romance and the like in their ambient dialogues. Come to think of it… EDIT: There’s an asura named Wark, in Blazeridge, who’s working on a perfume to attract women. Good example of how asuran cultural traits can reconcile with romance and the like- it might be a little different than typical human relationships, but the two aren’t incompatible.

(edited by Aaron Ansari.1604)

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

There are quite a few asura who show worry and care for others that aren’t asura. But many do hide that worry and care behind “I’m just afraid we’ll lose whatever intelligence they have” or “if they’re gone, my genius is vulnerable!” (for those whom are in hostile areas). Not many, but enough to be noticed if you read dialogue.

Dear ANet writers,

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Hey, that second quote in the OP’s post was me! I’m famous! (Guy here, btw, so not a fangirl.)

But as the others have said, there’s evidence throughout the game world that inter-species attraction and relationships DO happen. It’s just quite rare. That example with the two women commenting on the two passing Norn, for example? The two women are Sylvari, not human.

In Lornar’s Pass on Jetsam Isle, there’s also an Asura mate whom you can speak to when the pirates are friendly. He says he left Rata Sum because he wasn’t quite smart enough to be liked there, but now that he’s among bookahs, they’re not smart enough to recognise his (relative) genius compared to them. There’s another Asura in Rata Sum who says she’s not interested in krewes or research. She just wants to move to Divinity’s Reach and sell baked goods.

So by extrapolation, there must be other Asura who just don’t fit in with the rest of their kind and seek companionship among other races. Probability alone suggests some of those relationships must end up being romantic in nature.

Traditional Charr also don’t seem big on formalised relationships. “As long as it doesn’t interfere with your duties, anything goes” seems to be the prevailing attitude.

But don’t worry, you won’t see any slashfic or adult stuff here on the official forum. That kind of stuff is against the TOS.

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

Actually, IIRC there is an Asura in DR who specifically lives there because she doesn’t care about science AT ALL, and instead just wants to run a flower shop. Humans are fine with that, Asura would not be.

edit: Ninja’d. I thought it was flowers, but baked goods also makes sense with what I recall. I thought she was in DR, but wanting to move also fits.

(edited by Kalavier.1097)

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

During a Live stream, Angel McCoy said there weren’t going to be highlighted interracial relationships (this was in response to being asked if Braham and Rox will become a couple) – though as we can see in-game, they do make jokes of humans interested in norn and sylvari romantically or sexually (but thus far never the other way around).

In GW2, that is. I recall a certain quest arc in EOTN where you narrowly avoid getting married to a norn by overshadowing them…

According to that arc, norn relationships are primarily supposed to be between norn of roughly equal legend, at least to begin with. A lack of interest in smaller races by norn can probably simply be explained by them assuming that a human is beneath their league unless shown otherwise, while other norn or charr they’re more willing to give enough benefit of the doubt to find out.

There are a couple examples of humans liking norn though – before destruction in LA there were two human females who comment on two passing norn, one of which blatantly gives a sultry comment on the man. In Timberline Falls there’s a Vigil patrol where a human guy is constantly trying to woo a female norn with poetry (and she’s constantly turning him down).

As a second-hand case, there’s a norn woman in Hoelbrak who amuses herself when in human lands by collecting pick-up lines that human men try to use on her.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: Seraphina.6859

Seraphina.6859

I saw this thread and I thought I had to post this old picture of my asura and my boyfriend’s charr

Attachments:

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

Just to be clear : Charrs aren’t purring fur ball. Players do whatever they want, but the lore is the lore. You try to hug a Charr, he scratch and howl back.

Asura like intelligence, big forehead, big ears, small size, huge head. Charr don’t look like small feline teddy with huge head.
Charr like their partner tall, strong, ferocious. What an Asura is not !

You will never see a Charr and an Asura hugging together except in lore-out fan mind.
A romantic relationship between these opposite races is like a sign of the Apocalypse (the death of the game). It would means that A.net killed the lore to please some players.

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Just to be clear : Charrs aren’t purring fur ball. Players do whatever they want, but the lore is the lore. You try to hug a Charr, he scratch and howl back.

Not really. There’s a Zephyrite child and a charr near the Ice Elemental event in Labyrinthine Cliffs in which the boy says the charr is beautiful and has a pretty coat of fur, rather than being mean and scary like he’s heard about charr. The charr acts tough (“I’m plenty scary!”) but still gets a bit bashful at the compliment.

Just because charr are warlike as a race doesn’t mean they’ll get hostile for being hugged as individuals.

Asura like intelligence, big forehead, big ears, small size, huge head.

In general. But odd-balls exists. And it’s really just intelligence really, though there are side-comments about big ears or large craniums. The rest I’ve never seen.

Charr like their partner tall, strong, ferocious.

Can you source, because I’ve never seen that. I don’t think I’ve seen any “preferences” for charr dating, really.

Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

I don’t think there are any strong examples of interracial relationships in lore, but it is possible. I think the most we have gotten is one-sided attractions. No children would ever come from those relationships though. We do have dev confirmation on that part.

They probably could get kids actually, only those kids would be infertile, like a donkey+horse=a mule(infertile)

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

They probably could get kids actually, only those kids would be infertile, like a donkey+horse=a mule(infertile)

No, actually Anet explicitly said before GW2 release that (at least as of GW2 depending on your viewpoint), there is no such thing as a halfbreed.

No half-norn, half humans exist in GW2. No half norn/half charr. It’s impossible.

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

No, actually Anet explicitly said before GW2 release that (at least as of GW2 depending on your viewpoint), there is no such thing as a halfbreed.

No half-norn, half humans exist in GW2. No half norn/half charr. It’s impossible.

Rather it’s naturally impossible. Just wait for the future Living World release where a army of Inquest Half-Char/Asura warriors are released on the world of Tyria!

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Rather it’s naturally impossible. Just wait for the future Living World release where a army of Inquest Half-Char/Asura warriors are released on the world of Tyria!

For whatever reason, I keep thinking any possible Asura/Charr hybrid (Asurarrs!), no matter how unlikely, would look like an Xenomorph.

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Technically what was said is that no player races are compatible with each other genetically.

So a playable race + a non-playable, or two non-playable races, is not really off the table. However, beyond something like a jotun/ogre, hylek/heket, or krait/naga halfbreed, we have no real reason to believe such is possible.

Dear ANet writers,

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

well, i don’t think any offspring can happen, but i don’t see why two sentient, rational beings can’t have feelings for one another just because of race.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

Oh, come now. Who hasn’t wanted to hug Tybalt Leftpaw? He’d hug back, sure as UberQuaggan is rising!

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Interracial relationship

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

well, i don’t think any offspring can happen, but i don’t see why two sentient, rational beings can’t have feelings for one another just because of race.

This. The playable species aren’t completely alien to each other. They share the ability to connect on similar emotional levels. This is the basis for the start of modern Lions Arch and Cobiah Mariners ability to bring so many different peoples together.