Is the Shatterar one of Glints Baby's?

in Lore

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I couldn’t find this, so apology’s if it’s been covered.

We know that Glint layed a lot of eggs before the Great Destroyer awoke. Also we know from Eye of the North that the Dwafs where guarding 3(I think) baby dragons in the Challange event in the Central Tranfer Chamber. So after the death of glint the baby’s took over from there mother who over the thosand of years broke free of her master.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Lore

Posted by: Blurk.6231

Blurk.6231

I am pretty sure it is not one of Glint’s babies. I believe it was said somewhere that the Shatterer is purely made from the branded soil and rocks and Glint was an actual dragon but I cannot provide a source on that. Can someone confirm this or am I wrong?

Look beyond the obvious…

in Lore

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Every time we kill the The Shatterer we really kill it, after a time a new champion is made/elected by Kralkatorrik and it gain the title “The Shatterer”, so even if it was the Glint’s babies those would be dead long ago.
But answering the question, no, they aren’t the same.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

I would say not, unless ArenaNet made a massive change to the model of the baby dragon. It was significantly smaller, different coloration, and it was a solid being, unlike the Shatterer, which seems to be more like a source of magic holding together pieces of rock and crystal.

in Lore

BrotherBelial.3094

So then, the question is where are Glints Children? Fighting Promordus? Maybe well get to ride them at some point in an epic battle. That’s if they are not all dead.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

I’m certain they have a plan for them somewhere, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it had to do with the Zephyrites, who are the inheritors of the Brotherhood of the Dragon, who were the dwarven protectors of Glint/Children.

in Lore

BrotherBelial.3094

I’m certain they have a plan for them somewhere, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it had to do with the Zephyrites, who are the inheritors of the Brotherhood of the Dragon, who were the dwarven protectors of Glint/Children.

They are? I didn’t know that. I must have missed that part of the lore.

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

If you talked to certain NPC’s or listened to the dialogue you could piece everything together. Most people were busier grabbing sky crystals, jumping off the sanctum or (like me) taking screen shots of everything, lol.

in Lore

BrotherBelial.3094

If you talked to certain NPC’s or listened to the dialogue you could piece everything together. Most people were busier grabbing sky crystals, jumping off the sanctum or (like me) taking screen shots of everything, lol.

Then it’s off to the wikki I go.

Edit. So it’s just one child. But it’s unknown if it’s alive and free of Glints master.

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I don’t think the Shatterer was any kind of living being. Most Branded – especially those obviously a living being – has a bright purple and most importantly solid shine beneath their gray skin. The Shatterer, however, is transparent with his body. He is nothing but black rock (like the Dragonbrand itself) and purple translucent air/lightning. He appears to be akin to the Dragonspawn from Edge of Destiny – a mere construct of land and air.

This being said, both Glint and her “babies” would be made of crystal, not flesh and blood. Dragon minions aren’t capable of traditional birthing, and as a champion Glint could make more champions.

I am pretty sure it is not one of Glint’s babies. I believe it was said somewhere that the Shatterer is purely made from the branded soil and rocks and Glint was an actual dragon but I cannot provide a source on that. Can someone confirm this or am I wrong?

Neither was, as far as I know, outright stated. You may be thinking of one of my posts – as I know I said the same as now about the Shatterer before – or one of Thalador’s as he theorizes given Arah dialogue that Glint was a living dragon before corruption (Arah dialogue more or less confirms that Glint was a living being).

So then, the question is where are Glints Children? Fighting Promordus? Maybe well get to ride them at some point in an epic battle. That’s if they are not all dead.

Common theory is being with the Zephyrites. But other than their ties to the Brotherhood of the Dragon (whom were protecting Glint’s baby) there’s no evidence.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

Are any of the Dragon champions actual dragons? Zhaitan’s champions seem to be made out of numerous corpses, the CoJ could easily be a creation of pure ice. The Great Destroyer did seem more like something that might have once been a creature (though more of a beetle/dragon hybrid).

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Glint, Claw of Jormag, and Zhaitan’s champions might have been.

Glint is outright known to have once been a non-corrupted living being. But what she was back then before becoming crystalline is unspecified. She may have been a sand drake or some such that was enlarged via corruption and sprouted wings because of it (akin to Mouths of Zhaitan, which are enlarged mutated humans by all appearances).

Claw of Jormag’s limbs are bone in shape, but are at least coated ice. Whether this is ice-shaped-like-bone or actual bone coated in ice akin to Icebrood Colossus (and other old icebrood – the older an icebrood is, the more its body becomes ice until it’s all bone and ice – maybe eventually the bone becomes ice too though). But with its shatterable wings, it may have been something more drake-like too, a wingless giant lizard. Again, hard to to tell.

Zhaitan’s dragon-shaped champions could be risen dragons, or something more akin to the abominations which is a bunch of sewn together corpses. Again, hard to tell and we have no indication of either.

The Great Destroyer is likely to have been like all other Destroyers – mimicries of something made out of stone and lava, never an actual living being. The Great Destroyer then could have been made to mimic any of the Elder Dragons (original description for them was to be “serpentine while still very draconic” and the long neck/tail would fit that description) or their dragon-shaped champions.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Are any of the Dragon champions actual dragons? Zhaitan’s champions seem to be made out of numerous corpses, the CoJ could easily be a creation of pure ice. The Great Destroyer did seem more like something that might have once been a creature (though more of a beetle/dragon hybrid).

I’m inclined to think that Zhaitan’s, at least, were once real dragons, if only because the three in Arah have Orrian sounding names. As Konig already said, the Shatterer probably isn’t because it’s so easy to replace, and it’s hard to say with the Claw.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Those dragons having Orrian sounding names is actually reason for me to believe that they are akin to abominations, rather than having been actual dragons.

I’ve always wondered why Blightghast and those three have unique sounding names – who named them, for example? Especially those last three, given there’s a whole swarm of those dragons there that naming them then and there seems fruitless.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

I’ve always wondered why Blightghast and those three have unique sounding names – who named them, for example? Especially those last three, given there’s a whole swarm of those dragons there that naming them then and there seems fruitless.

Agreed. “Blightghast” could have come from anywhere, it’s really only a compound word evoking disease and death. Ogravros, Fafnarin, Horrogos, those are different stories. That’s why I think they were real dragons- Orrian sounding names implies they were named by the Orrians, which would mean they were around before Zhaitan’s rise. And recall also the bone dragons, which were nowhere near as large, but serve as further evidence that Orr had dragons.

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Size from the previous game doesn’t necessarily matter. It could be a situation where the models change between games, much like other creatures throughout the world (Giants anyone?). Because the undead from Guild Wars Prophecies were never shown to have undead that were “crafted” for lack of a better word, it would make sense that at one point in time Orr did have dragons, and it would be possible for Zhaitan to make use of them. I have to wonder, though, what kind of dragons they may have been, since we have no historical evidence of their existence thus far.

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Size from the previous game doesn’t necessarily matter. It could be a situation where the models change between games, much like other creatures throughout the world (Giants anyone?). Because the undead from Guild Wars Prophecies were never shown to have undead that were “crafted” for lack of a better word, it would make sense that at one point in time Orr did have dragons, and it would be possible for Zhaitan to make use of them. I have to wonder, though, what kind of dragons they may have been, since we have no historical evidence of their existence thus far.

To be fair, before Guild Wars 2, what we knew about Orr amounted to “gods and artifacts. Oh, and they had a Vizier, and now they’re all undead.” The dearth of historical evidence applies to just about all things Orrian.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

We have next to no historical evidence of many species of the previous rise. Who’s to say that the dragons were once a species of a previous cycle – maybe not the last, but perhaps the one before? Or the one before that? Perhaps even the very first appearance of the Elder Dragons, however long ago it was.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

We have next to no historical evidence of many species of the previous rise. Who’s to say that the dragons were once a species of a previous cycle – maybe not the last, but perhaps the one before? Or the one before that? Perhaps even the very first appearance of the Elder Dragons, however long ago it was.

It’s possible, but why would the Orrians name specific specimens of a long-dead race?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

We do it for famous fossils. At least sometimes.

Like Sue and Lucy. I’m sure there’s more too but not off the top of my head.

Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Posted by: Neek.9531

Neek.9531

Well the eldest race we have any lore of were the giganticus lupicus who I believe were the survivors of the awakening before the last one(seers, dwarves, forgotten, jotun, mursaat) But I’m not quite sure.

[DI] Main Elementalist: Zepdo, Alts: Warrior, Mesmer,Thief.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

There’s no evidence to suggest that the GL survived any rise.

They died during the supposed previous dragon rise; the one that the jotun etc. survived.

Though honestly, there’s a bit of evidence to suggest that the Durmand Priory is wrong with the date of the previous dragon rise (they claim roughly 10,000 to 9,000 BE; other evidence can point to approx. 2,000-1,500).

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

We do it for famous fossils. At least sometimes.

Like Sue and Lucy. I’m sure there’s more too but not off the top of my head.

Yeah, but we’ve never called them “the Moondeath.”

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

We aren’t Orrians either.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Then why use what we do for evidence?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

My point was that naming fossils is not that strange to do. However, while we don’t call fossils with titles like “The Moondeath” that doesn’t mean other cultures wouldn’t – especially less advanced cultures, which are more prone to the creation of mythological tales from things like fossils because they wouldn’t have known about things called “dinosaurs” (in the same context, Orrians may not have known about dragons being a common occurrence if they were, thus could create folktales around the skeletons, creating a mythological beast they would call “the Moondeath”).

It’s a very specific example thus unlikely, but that was my line of thought and the point I was making is more general: cultures that know less tend to make up things about those which they do not know the scientific side of (hence the very creation of myths and religions).

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

the Shatterer

From what I understand. I’m a bit rusty of this part of the lore and can’t remember my sources.

Keep in mind that none of the dragon champions are “the same guy.” According to lore we do keep killing the Shatterer (…, Jorlag and Tequatl) – the reason that they respawn is their respective EDs select a new one and send them to be farmed. Every Shatterer you kill is actually a brand new (in-universe) dragon.

From the Arah story you will learn that there are actually an abundance of lesser dragons during the sequence where you need to fend off the two dragons attacking your ship – in the distance you can see many dragon battles happening.

That means that no single “The Shatterer” that we farm could be important to the lore in a way like this. If one of The Shatterers that we killed was indeed Glint’s child we would have long since killed it – permanently.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

in Lore

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

Guys… all of the dragons are named after founding civilization and old american myths, very easy to see via google.
Orrians like Khilbron, Zoran and his son (Reza i think) are all low balkan to arabian names…

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Very easy to see?

Do feel free to elaborate, because all google has ever given me is a wall of Arah walkthroughs.

in Lore

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

Very easy to see?

Do feel free to elaborate, because all google has ever given me is a wall of Arah walkthroughs.

Norse, Aztec, Goth (the old germaic ones not the scantily clad ones) and Gaul mythology, please, look em up for dragons, snakes and undead. You might also learn how pretty much 99% of skyrims dragons and enemies got created.

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Mhm. Still not seeing anything close to Ogravros. Don’t feel like searching the other ones.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Because The Shatterer, Claw of Jormag, Dragonspawn, Glint/Glaust, and Blightghast are names taken from old languages.

Makes perfect sense.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I think they meant the Elder dragons – but even that doesn’t stack up. Primordius is just a play on the word primordial (or the root latin Primordus) which means ‘existing at or from the beginning of time’. I could go on but I’m pretty sure all of you can read the trivia on the wiki. So sorry Andele but I don’t see it.

Yet a lot of names in GW2 do come from mythology (from across the world), but that’s a staple of pretty much every single MMO ever and it doesn’t apply universally as Konig very aptly shows. I’d be pretty ashamed if Blightghast had real world origins (other than being a splice of two perfectly fine words – when used on their own)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Kralkatorrik and Jormag don’t fit either, unless you’re of the party that takes Jormag from Jörmungandr. And I Haven’t seen anything for Mordremoth.

Only Tequatl and Zhaitan really come from somewhere – and as mentioned, arguably Jormag and Primordus as alterations of.

On the notion of Zhaitan’s champions being named from Orrians… Blightghast may work, given all the undead names in both GW1 and GW2 for Orrians. Though that may just be more of a modern renaming, however silly it may be, as it’s hard to see a “Vizier Ghil Ironghoul” or “Thadeus Ghostrite” (the latter supposedly being the same person as Thadeus Lamount) as an actual Orrian name.

Dear ANet writers,