Lack of In-game Lore

Lack of In-game Lore

in Lore

Posted by: TheMaskedGamer.5708

TheMaskedGamer.5708

Why is that? I heard that there was a book system before launch. Why was this idea scrapped? And Why are the Points of Interests feel pointless/ I wish to know more of why these points are “interesting”.

Lack of In-game Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

From what I heard, the books were removed because the system wasn’t finished by launch day, and thus had to be adjusted. It’d be nice to be revisited some day, but that might take quite a bit to integrate in.

The Durmand Priory having a library makes for a very easy place for new books to show up, and a couple did just before Season 2 started. It might be worth a visit periodically (as in once every three months). Aside from that, though, I admit the lore in game is…limited.

Lack of In-game Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Most of the points of interest are explained in game through events, personal story, or talking to the locals. It can be hard to piece it together though. Generally GW2 tends to show what is happening in the world now, such as skritt stealing from harpies, and events only give lore when it is relevant to things happening now.

Lack of In-game Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

The book idea was scrapped – as I heard – because they couldn’t get it to how they wanted it to be before launch. I presume it hasn’t been reinitiated due to constraints and low on priority listing. It was just about the creatures and factions of the world as it was, anyways, though I do wish they brought it back. In force.

@Stooperdale: Actually, very few points of interests are explained. Good luck finding explanations for all those Orrian PoIs! I’ve looked. And looked. And looked.

But as you said, lore is only given when it is relevant to things happening now. Which is a bit of an annoyance.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Lack of In-game Lore

in Lore

Posted by: saventis.1485

saventis.1485

just for your reference this video shows how they would have looked and been obtained.

yea they couldn’t get them how they like but i think a journal tab where every time you kill a new enemy you get a new entry in your book. (as if you had written in your journal about that particular foe.

i dont believe this would be very hard to achieve… not 100%, on account of not knowing there systems but yea.
Would be great to learn more about the creatures we are committing mass genocide on.

Lack of In-game Lore

in Lore

Posted by: saventis.1485

saventis.1485

no idea why theres that big blank space btw

Lack of In-game Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Konig Des Todes.2086:

The book idea was scrapped – as I heard – because they couldn’t get it to how they wanted it to be before launch. I presume it hasn’t been reinitiated due to constraints and low on priority listing. It was just about the creatures and factions of the world as it was, anyways, though I do wish they brought it back. In force.

Maybe if we wish/whine hard enough they’ll add in into a feature pack in the future.

saventis.1485:

no idea why theres that big blank space btw

Do you have some type of adblocker? I know mine blocks any type of videos on forums like this, and they show up as blank areas in a thread unless I allow them.

Lack of In-game Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

sad that gw2 have such an awesome lore couldnt find away to tell it better ingame.

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

Lack of In-game Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

Maybe we can write in some of the blanks left behind. At least until someone at anet say’s “You’re wrong and this is what really happened” At best, we give people something neat to read and a good reference for people getting into lore. At worst, we mess it up so badly, someone on the dev team HAS to fix it!

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Lack of In-game Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

@Stooperdale: Actually, very few points of interests are explained. Good luck finding explanations for all those Orrian PoIs! I’ve looked. And looked. And looked.

Not everything named is defined. Not every mystery needs to be explained. Like the enigmatic lost city of Carcosa, sometimes the allusion makes for a better story than the “facts”.

Lack of In-game Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Kurrilino.2706

Kurrilino.2706

sad that gw2 have such an awesome lore couldnt find away to tell it better ingame.

Maybe because the lore isn’t that great ???
Having a Dragon that turns living beings into minions isn’t the greatest
invention ever. This followed by the the next threat being a Dragon that turns living beings into minions is just aweful.
Of course having the heros always not working together and find a way to make them working together like the last dragon isn’t helping either.

Sometimes i wonder they have just 1 story writer and he is just changing the names of the dragons and hopes none of the 12 year old fanboys will notice.

Lack of In-game Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

invention ever. This followed by the the next threat being a Dragon that turns living beings into minions is just aweful.
Of course having the heros always not working together and find a way to make them working together like the last dragon isn’t helping either.

Sometimes i wonder they have just 1 story writer and he is just changing the names of the dragons and hopes none of the 12 year old fanboys will notice.

We…… already knew that there were multiple dragons. They were all categorized as “elder dragons” and we knew we would have had to deal with all of them at some point in time since they are cataclysmic forces.

Lack of In-game Lore

in Lore

Kurrilino.2706

We…… already knew that there were multiple dragons. They were all categorized as “elder dragons” and we knew we would have had to deal with all of them at some point in time since they are cataclysmic forces.

every pre-school child would have given the Dragons different skills or mindsets.
having 5489 Dragons and all of them are absolutely same, except the color, is really not appealing to me. Or anyone i know.
There is no problem with dealing with them but for god sakes make a different story for each of them.

How comes we had dragons in GW1 and still had great storys without dragons going on ???

Lack of In-game Lore

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

every pre-school child would have given the Dragons different skills or mindsets.
having 5489 Dragons and all of them are absolutely same, except the color, is really not appealing to me. Or anyone i know.
There is no problem with dealing with them but for god sakes make a different story for each of them.

How comes we had dragons in GW1 and still had great storys without dragons going on ???

Elder Dragons are forces of nature with unfathomable mindsets. It’s more in depth than just a bunch of dragons with different personalities like any preschooler would dream up. Just a bunch of regular dragons with different powers is a little too Saturday morning cartoon for me. I’d rather not have the type of lore that any preschooler would dream up.

Lack of In-game Lore

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Guild Wars has a lot of in-depth lore. Go play GW1, read all the dialogue and quest texts, talk to the various NPCs. You will see, it is there.

GW2 has been lacking with this, but even the lore of the Elder Dragons is far superior to what you’re claiming, Kurrilino.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Lack of In-game Lore

in Lore

Kurrilino.2706

So you guys tell me it’s cool……..

Zaithan…. turns people into minons.. fighting group don’t wanna fight….
you make them fight…. defeat Dragon

2nd Dragon…. living beings into minons.. fighting group don’t wanna fight….

3rd Dragon…. turns living beings into minons.. fighting group don’t wanna fight….

4th Dragon…. turns living beings into minons.. fighting group don’t wanna fight….

5th Dragon…. turns living beings into minons.. fighting group don’t wanna fight….

jeeezzz…. and i was wondering how A-Net can pull stuff like this without people going on riot.
You guys are so easy to entertain.

Lack of In-game Lore

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

3rd Dragon…. turns living beings into minons.. fighting group don’t wanna fight….

4th Dragon…. turns living beings into minons.. fighting group don’t wanna fight….

5th Dragon…. turns living beings into minons.. fighting group don’t wanna fight….

jeeezzz…. and i was wondering how A-Net can pull stuff like this without people going on riot.

Coming from the guy that wants the lore that any preschooler could come up with, that’s pretty ironic.

However, you’re mistaken about the lore. The dragons each have their own flavor of creating minions. The devs have confirmed a bit of overlap but the specialty isn’t all the same.

fire dragon: creates minions without needing living beings.

plant dragon: Sylvari are still up in the air since we don’t know their origin but the majority of confirmed minions of Mordy don’t seem to be living being that get turned into plant monsters. created like fire dragons. And the vines are part of the actual dragon. So his reach is unlike anything we’ve seen before.

death dragon: creates minions out of corpses.

ice dragon: creates fewer strong minions while the sons of svanir simply leach off his corruption and are beneath jormags notice.

desert dragon: creatures infected by corrupted splinters become minions.

bubbles: no one knows

Unless you have access to more lore than has been released, and the devs are planning a big retcon, your summary is flawed.

Lack of In-game Lore

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

This argument is like saying “Peanut Butter has a brownish look to it. Therefore, it must taste like feces.”

You look merely at the top layer. Each Elder Dragon is different. They corrupted differently, they corrupted different subjects, they attack differently, they even instill different personalities into their minions, with different designs for their minions, and so forth.

Zhaitan had uniting the Orders – three groups that were already fighting the Elder Dragons, just separately because they think their method is best until the PC and Trahearne – individuals respected by all three orders – came up with a crazy plan that happened to work.

Mordremoth has uniting the nations, which don’t focus on any Elder Dragon – not beyond any threats to their own homeland (Branded for Charr, Icebrood for Norn). But even that is just a minor point, and poorly done by the writing.

The next dragon may have no uniting theme to it. You can’t tell. And even then, even if it does, there’s still a vast difference in how the Elder Dragons strike, corrupt, and need to be fought. You haven’t even seen the entirety of the second dragon storyline, yet you’re saying “it’s all the same.”

But even despite all this, this is far from the lore of the Elder Dragons – it’s the direction of the plot, which is entirely different. ArenaNet, especially since the Living World started up, is not the best at fleshing out stories, but they have created a world rich with lore – Elder Dragons included. Try to look beyond the surface, so you know what you’re talking about, and you don’t come off as an obvious troll next time, perhaps.

Dear ANet writers,

Lack of In-game Lore

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Maybe if we wish/whine hard enough they’ll add in into a feature pack in the future.

Whatever works :P

Do you have some type of adblocker? I know mine blocks any type of videos on forums like this, and they show up as blank areas in a thread unless I allow them.

Don’t think you can link videos in the forums. I don’t use adblock (I’m a good boy) and i still see it as well.

I think you’re confusing lore with narrative. Narratively having a conga-line of same-y villians isn’t good. Lore on the other hand can still be good as it refers to the world, the history and past events in which the narrative occurs. And yes GW2 (and GW1 by extension) has a fairly decent lore (although a lot of blanks).

How comes we had dragons in GW1 and still had great storys without dragons going on

Again lore vs narrative.

Guild Wars has a lot of in-depth lore. Go play GW1, read all the dialogue and quest texts, talk to the various NPCs. You will see, it is there.

GW2 has been lacking with this, but even the lore of the Elder Dragons is far superior to what you’re claiming, Kurrilino.

Largely due to the lack of decent mechanism for conveying this (I believe). Look at how books are currently handled (via the dialog mechanics), kinda ‘awkward’. Perhaps the dynamic events too (to an extent) although dynamic events aren’t particularly suited for giving historic context so much as present context.