Rytlock Brimstone investigating the probes

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

and hey, 5 days. we can assume tyrians would keep adding leap years until they got a proper calendar. the sumerians had to add an entire month on leap years to get their calendar synced properly :P

and then there are the romans, which lived with a calendar two months short for quite some time…

I’m not sure about the Sumerians or Romans, but the Mouvelian calendar is a seasonal one. It begins on the first day of Spring.

Even in just one year, this makes a huge change, since Wintersday is Day 360 of the year and functions as the last day of Winter. You get more winter after that? It’s not the Spring Solstice!

There’s a lot more to it than “just adding on days” when you think logically with how the lore was already set up.

But then you can just handwave it with “who the kitten cares, lore is kitten anyways” like your comments do.

personally, i like that things happen whether you’re around or not. the story junkies will find out about these sooner or later, and they’re just extra fluff, not story critical things.

Or they won’t. I mean, we didn’t know of Rytlock until the last day before the new update, where everyone is elsewhere. I bet a lot of small things like this slipped by over the months.

If ArenaNet wants to have such small details, we need more time to see them.

Like a month. coughFlameandFrostwasperfecttimejustneededmorecontentcough

Wait, that’s a detonation? It always looked to me like a laser that Mari was shooting out of her mouth. You don’t really see what happens to Mari after the weapon fires, so I always just assumed it went back into the drill.

Doesn’t change my theory though. The self-destruct feature could be the coup de grace, or at the least a trump card in case the other attacks from Mari fail. If all she wanted was a big bomb, wouldn’t she just make a big bomb?

The laser beam is going into the Marionette. That’s it charging.

Talk to the NPCs after – if it’s still there, if not go to the wiki article for the event, their dialogues got added and they all mention the Marionette blowing up. Which gives credence to Rox’s “culling the herd” theory about the true purpose of the “weapons test” that you get if you succeed.

The Marionette seems to me to be bait. For us, the heroes of Tyria. She drew us all to her Marionettes, charged it up, and blew it up.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

megasnip

on calendars: seasons are unstable things. you have your soltices and equinoxes accurately happening, but that’s the only accuracy there is. the whole fact that human wintersday was about “will spring show up early or late this year” is proof that they don’t really base the calendar on accuracy though. a change to a solar calendar could make it more accurate.

and i don’t think “lore is kitten”, i just think that whining (because it’s gotten to the point where it became that) for months about incredibly minor changes as if it destroyed the canon is too much.

on those changes: the updates are already mostly month-long. rytlock is staying there another two weeks, just like the rest of the origins of madness content. if everything is spoonfed (by directing us at every little thing) then it loses the sense of discovery that you get when such things happen.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Just to throw some fuel on the fire- when talking to Marjory, your character guesses that the change of color in the probe in Sanctum Harbor means it’s found what it’s looking for. Hopefully, that rules out an Elder Dragon… although ANet does want players to spread out, and nuking the hub would certainly accomplish that for a time.

Thoughts?

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

Just to throw some fuel on the fire- when talking to Marjory, your character guesses that the change of color in the probe in Sanctum Harbor means it’s found what it’s looking for. Hopefully, that rules out an Elder Dragon… although ANet does want players to spread out, and nuking the hub would certainly accomplish that for a time.

Thoughts?

i doubt they’ll nuke LA for good, but earlier today i was talking with guildies how i really, really would like it if DR became the new hub, and they spread out things more. make that city worth visiting for more than visual spectacle.

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I don’t want DR to be the new hub.. It’s very pretty but it’s the human city and I am not a human.

Besides the Grove has a far better, far more centralized, layout which makes it much quicker to get from place to place – DR is very spread out. – Rata Sum isn’t too bad either.

Hoelbrak is too spread out and the Black Citadel is a nightmare to navigate.

My vote’s on the Grove or Rata Sum. Pitiful humans…

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

I don’t want DR to be the new hub.. It’s very pretty but it’s the human city and I am not a human.

Besides the Grove has a far better, far more centralized, layout which makes it much quicker to get from place to place – DR is very spread out. – Rata Sum isn’t too bad either.

DR is prettier. thus it gets my vote.

in Lore

FlamingFoxx.1305

The Grove has center points on each of the three levels which make sense as main meeting areas. Not to mention the TP, Bank and Crafting Stations are all much closer together.

Also it’s prettier than DR because trees and rocks and water and stuff…

Bow down to your Sylvari overlords

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

The Grove has center points on each of the three levels which make sense as main meeting areas. Not to mention the TP, Bank and Crafting Stations are all much closer together.

Also it’s prettier than DR because trees and rocks and water and stuff…

Bow down to your Sylvari overlords

i for one welcome our new sylvari overlords.

just not their messy multi-layered city.

in Lore

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

It makes me very happy to see that the big players in Tyria are involved in the story. It’s just not believable that everything revolves around the five lane NPCs. I wish this stuff was easier to see, I’ve sent a considerable amount of time in Bloodtide foraging between wurm runs and I’ve completed the Marionette several times and I haven’t seen either of these.

personally, i like that things happen whether you’re around or not. the story junkies will find out about these sooner or later, and they’re just extra fluff, not story critical things.

How will the story junkies find them out though? I suspect most people in this thread wouldn’t have seen them unless this thread existed. I like that these things exist, I don’t like that they are so easy to miss (there were similar issues with Southsun and Kiel but it was a little harder to miss that one).

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

It makes me very happy to see that the big players in Tyria are involved in the story. It’s just not believable that everything revolves around the five lane NPCs. I wish this stuff was easier to see, I’ve sent a considerable amount of time in Bloodtide foraging between wurm runs and I’ve completed the Marionette several times and I haven’t seen either of these.

How will the story junkies find them out though? I suspect most people in this thread wouldn’t have seen them unless this thread existed. I like that these things exist, I don’t like that they are so easy to miss (there were similar issues with Southsun and Kiel but it was a little harder to miss that one).

exactly. the story junkies are the ones that dig for this info out of game and discuss it. that’s how we find a bunch of minor details. someone spots it, then shares with others.

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Just got into EotM. Taimi has confirmed the probes exist to find ley lines- specifically the biggest and strongest. Also, apparently Synergetics discovered them a long time back.

(edited by Aaron Ansari.1604)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

on calendars: seasons are unstable things. you have your soltices and equinoxes accurately happening, but that’s the only accuracy there is. the whole fact that human wintersday was about “will spring show up early or late this year” is proof that they don’t really base the calendar on accuracy though. a change to a solar calendar could make it more accurate.

and i don’t think “lore is kitten”, i just think that whining (because it’s gotten to the point where it became that) for months about incredibly minor changes as if it destroyed the canon is too much.

on those changes: the updates are already mostly month-long. rytlock is staying there another two weeks, just like the rest of the origins of madness content. if everything is spoonfed (by directing us at every little thing) then it loses the sense of discovery that you get when such things happen.

It.. was.. the gods… influence… The gods caused winter to expand or not. The days of the calendar stayed in place too – it was just affecting whether or not there’d be snow during spring. Their calendar had never changed.

And you know that YOU were the one to bring this up. I didn’t even mention the calendar change! I mentioned that they’ve confirmed via Angel that the two timelines progress at the same rate. So it’s not whining, because you, not me the so-called “whiner” brought it up.

And the updates aren’t always month long. I mean, Kasmeer and co aren’t at the Marionette anymore and the instance in LA is no longer available (no clue about the probes or the lair or Rytlock). And remember Twilight Assault? Two weeks not four. Halloween was, iirc, three this past time.

i doubt they’ll nuke LA for good, but earlier today i was talking with guildies how i really, really would like it if DR became the new hub, and they spread out things more. make that city worth visiting for more than visual spectacle.

DR already has that exclusive place… They’ll make DR a hub to promote people to buy that BS pass! OH SHI-

Pfft.

Ebonhawke all the way. You got the TP, crafters, and Bank all along the same strip with no evetns and a non-contested WP nearby. Just add in a Mystic Forge and gates to the other cities (or an option at that gate to go to the other cities) and it’s in.

But even that’s not true. The new hub will be…

Wait for it…

Waaaiit for it…

SCARLET’S BASE! We’re commandeering the flying drill after she attacks, and it’ll move about Tyria as our base of operations from here on out.

Just got into EotM. Taimi has confirmed the probes exist to find ley lines- specifically the biggest and strongest. Also, apparently Synergetics discovered them a long time back.

How far is “a long time back”?

Scarlet discovered their existence thanks to Thaumanova. Which was just before the PS. Which places it in late 1324 or early 1325 AE. It’s now 1327 AE.

To a little kid like Taimi, 2-3 years can be a long time.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

“Old-fashioned Synergetics texts call them ley lines.” If I had to guess, I’d say Synergetics figured out they exist but never bothered to track them down, so technically the Inquest were the ones to prove it.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

It may be more accurate to say they theorized they exist, rather than “figured out” but that’s me nitpicking.

Though I’m 99.99% sure this is just a hashbacked way to include the term “ley line” into the game for the first time, just handwaved into it with some means to include them without Scarlet mentioning them and (logically) leaving everyone else going “wtf are ley lines?” or her going into monologue mode.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

well like i said on another thread:

apparently leylines are somewhat common knowledge among casters, because marjory and kasmeer seemed well versed in it, and even braham had a rough understanding of how they worked.

they are, essentially, like air and water currents, but made of magic. there’s still no mention of whether or not they’re underground though.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

First image of this thread heavily implies that Scarlet is searching underground, though.

And I saw screenshots that show that Braham only recently learned about leylines – from Taimi. Marjory and Kasmeer may be the same but I haven’t seen that dialogue.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

FlamingFoxx.1305

First image of this thread heavily implies that Scarlet is searching underground, though.

And I saw screenshots that show that Braham only recently learned about leylines – from Taimi. Marjory and Kasmeer may be the same but I haven’t seen that dialogue.

Kasmeer rather confidently talks about how Scarlet is searching for leylines (she outright states it as fact) citing the Thaumanova fractal as the source of that information.

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

*Marjory, not Kasmeer, but the point stands.

in Lore

FlamingFoxx.1305

*Marjory, not Kasmeer, but the point stands.

My bad, I could have sworn it was Kasmeer who said it >.>

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

yeah, he learned through taimi, but taimi was talking technobabble and braham was like “so like a swirling storm”, and her reply was something along the lines of “i guess that works too”.

but both marjory and kasmeer seemed to have good knowledge of leylines, and even seemed aware that there was one passing by lion’s arch. and there’s the part where taimi says it’s something synergetics people already study.

the thaumanova, according to the story instance, was so scarlet could learn more about leylines, implying there was already some knowledge on the field.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Given FlamingFoxx, it sounds like Marjory and Kasmeer only know because they read Ellen Kiel’s reports from the Thaumanova Reactor Fractal investigations, not because they’re spellcasters.

And from what I’ve heard about Taimi, it sounds like the Synergetics only speculated that they existed, rather than had known for certain they did.

But this is all second-hand information as I haven’t gone in-game yet. But it sounds like no one but Taimi has “good knowledge of leylines” but rather recent knowledge from either Taimi or Kiel’s investigations.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

the thing is the “artifact investigation” instance lets you investigate artifacts in any order. in the order i did, kasmeer and marjory were talking naturally about leylines and how they knew about leylines in lion’s arch far before we got to kiel’s report (where kiel completely bypasses the leyline part and assumes she blew the place up out of revenge/betrayal/something).

check the screenshots available on the other thread, they might shed some light. it definitely came off to me as “they already knew about it, it just never got discussed before so the players didn’t know”.

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

the thing is the “artifact investigation” instance lets you investigate artifacts in any order. in the order i did, kasmeer and marjory were talking naturally about leylines and how they knew about leylines in lion’s arch far before we got to kiel’s report (where kiel completely bypasses the leyline part and assumes she blew the place up out of revenge/betrayal/something).

check the screenshots available on the other thread, they might shed some light. it definitely came off to me as “they already knew about it, it just never got discussed before so the players didn’t know”.

Marjory and Kasmeer did also say that they had already looked at it all, though. What sells it for me is that Marjory seems to have overlooked the ley line bit of the report until she took a second look while we were around, and that bit about how the Inquest discovered “new” information.

in Lore

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Welp, that’s why I’ve never seen Logan. I have yet to join a successful Marionette run (yay kittenty laptop only allowing me in low zerg places without burning up).

Note – You can also see it after a failed run. Just stand near her at the head of the lane and it happens about 5-10 minutes after the event ends.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I get the feeling she is looking for the exact location of the Central Transfer Chamber which was lost, or something similar in the Depths under Lion’s Arch. Remember there were old ruins down there we didn’t get a chance to explore before destroyers chased us out 250 years ago . . .

I also suspect she may not be after Lion’s Arch directly, but wants them out of the way so she can pursue something else in the region without the Lionguard getting in on the action.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Except, as I pointed out in another thread, she was taking action specifically against Lion’s Arch months before she had the equipment to even know rather there were significant ley lines beneath the city. Given the Lionguard’s policy of non-interference, and their failure to life a finger while she was operating in Gendarran and Bloodtide, it can’t be an issue of regional control- what she’s after is either the city, or at the least something on the site of the city that isn’t a ley line or mists portal.

in Lore

Posted by: Eluveitie.1290

Eluveitie.1290

I could not wrap my head around that before going to bed.

She has, since probably the start of her plans, planned to attack/infiltrate Lion’s Arch for an unknown motive we have yet to find about. The probes accour much later than Dragon Bash’s attack, so she must have now two objectives in the city.

Either that or it’s an overlook by the writers, which I doubt so.

in Lore

Posted by: Gwethelyn.6182

Gwethelyn.6182

Does anybody know if Rytlock still appears? I haven’t caugh him yet…

in Lore

Posted by: Eluveitie.1290

Eluveitie.1290

I’ve been trying several times after fails, alas with no luck at all yet.

in Lore

Posted by: Glestad.1670

Glestad.1670

I believe the only way to trigger the encounter is to beat the event or enter a recently created overflow, if it is even available anymore. However most of the information given by him is now available in the current LS chapter. The only information lost is about one of the engineers Junia Twistgear, I got the feeling that she will play some role later. She seems to be very knowledgeable about Scarlet’s technology.

in Lore

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Here are some more details you may have overlooked. There are a lot more in the world probably.

http://imgur.com/a/VLCZO#0

in Lore

Posted by: NEOS.9206

NEOS.9206

That detail is still the best

Attachments:

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I wish we could go inside and have a look.

Um, to see the black curtains, of course. -cough-

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I wish we could go inside and have a look.

Um, to see the black curtains, of course. -cough-

It has nothing to do with the asuran etheric viewing device you were planting under the bed?

in Lore

Zaxares.5419

I would NEVER do that!

I’d disguise it as part of an elaborate chandelier hanging from the ceiling. Can’t see anything from under the bed.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Marjory and Kasmeer did also say that they had already looked at it all, though. What sells it for me is that Marjory seems to have overlooked the ley line bit of the report until she took a second look while we were around, and that bit about how the Inquest discovered “new” information.

What Aaron said. They mention having read it before you showed up. And looked at all the other stuff. Kasmeer’s talk about the journal is just that as well.

I get the feeling she is looking for the exact location of the Central Transfer Chamber which was lost, or something similar in the Depths under Lion’s Arch. Remember there were old ruins down there we didn’t get a chance to explore before destroyers chased us out 250 years ago . . .

Nope. The Central Transfer Chamber was underneath what is now Fireheart Rise. More or less. Northwestern Fireheart Rise.

What was under Lion’s Arch was a simple cavern with two asura gates – one leading to the Far Shiverpeaks, the other going to the Central Transfer Chamber. Now, if she’s after those… That’s another story – but she’d also need her own power source, and if she’s going to dig for a gate… why not just dig for the CTC itself?

I could not wrap my head around that before going to bed.

She has, since probably the start of her plans, planned to attack/infiltrate Lion’s Arch for an unknown motive we have yet to find about. The probes accour much later than Dragon Bash’s attack, so she must have now two objectives in the city.

Either that or it’s an overlook by the writers, which I doubt so.

I think the probes was just her “proving” her theories about the ley lines, though she had set up plans to weaken LA from inside long before.

Here are some more details you may have overlooked. There are a lot more in the world probably.

http://imgur.com/a/VLCZO#0

The portal is new(ish). And so is the Delaqua Residence. But Barcas and Cravia were there since after Last Stand at Southsun. Brokitten (Seriously? An NPC’s name is censored out? GG ANet) was added during Wintersday when the Tower fell. Along with about 10-15 other NPCs throughotu various places in Kessex, mainly Havens.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Zaxares.5419

If Scarlet was hunting for Primordus though, she might not be specifically looking for the CTC. After all, Primordus could have easily moved to a new location after his awakening. And the only reason that the CTC was built where it was was so the gates could be powered by the magic radiating from Primordus.

Although… I suppose it could be that the gates were working off leylines all along, and Primordus just happened to choose that spot to go into slumber because, hey, big bounty of magic to consume when you wake up!

in Lore

Posted by: NEOS.9206

NEOS.9206

I would NEVER do that!

I’d disguise it as part of an elaborate chandelier hanging from the ceiling. Can’t see anything from under the bed.

Sadly, all windows are closed too… xD

But!! have fun with this great fanart (found on reddit)
http://skepticarcher.tumblr.com/image/74220808356

(edited by NEOS.9206)

in Lore

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Taimi mentioned that Scarlet seemed to be doing more than just hunting for leylines. She was trying to focus on the strongest one.

Now why would the strongest leyline be under Lion’s Arch?

Do the Asura gateways utilize or affect the leylines in any way?

Do the movements of the Elder Dragon affect the leylines?

We know that the Elder Dragons leak magic when dormant, and that they consume magic when awake. So wouldn’t the strongest leyline be tied to an Elder Dragon naturally? It could be flowing towards or away from an Elder Dragon. If this is the case, you would only need to follow the leyline to it’s source.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I don’t think the ley lines can really be related to the Elder Dragons. Ley lines from how I understand it in this update not “a bunch of magic” but rather “how magic moves.” Thus, unless what makes it move in certain ways gets affected, the ley lines will remain stable (but not static – just consistent) regardless of the amount of magic moving through. Its related to ocean or weather currents, which is determined more by the landscape than the things on/in it. Though since magic is not physical I don’t think they’d be affected by landscape, but perhaps something else… Nonetheless though, I don’t think the amount would affect the direction of the flow (thus the ley lines).

Anyone else think that Anet should have given them a different name? ley lines are typically viewed as stationary… well, lines. Not currents – which are more flexing.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I’m fine with the naming, confusing as it is. But back to the topic, wouldn’t the Elder Dragons be like a hurricane inside this ocean of weather currents? If the leylines are flows of magic across Tyria, wouldn’t it make sense that these gigantic magical beings affect them in some way? Or alternatively, wouldn’t the Elder Dragons follow them as a source of nourishment? If either of those two is correct, you could follow the strongest leyline to find an Elder Dragon.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Obviously we don’t have nearly enough information to really be sure but…

I doubt it. They consume magic – and as we’ve seen, they consume it mainly from objects and beings. They don’t just go inhaling and in goes magic – as best we can tell.

If their presence doesn’t alter the movement of magic, then it wouldn’t affect the ley lines. And it seems to me given what we know is that they don’t affect the movement of magic – they take stationary magic (mainly) and consume it.

Honestly, we cannot even tell if magic from the ley lines even can be consumed by the Elder Dragons.

But even then keep in mind that all the magic was put into the Bloodstone at one point, which would have left the ley lines empty, and more importantly: the dragons haven’t really moved about since falling asleep. If the ley lines were emptied before they went to sleep, then they wouldn’t be camping on the biggest ley lines.

Though one could say Jormag, Primordus, and Kralkatorrik could be heading to ley lines – unlike Zhaitan, they’re moving about a it more than on a mere city of magical energy. Though if it’s all the magical artifacts in Arah and Orr that kept Zhaitan in place, then Primordus is likely camping out in the six great asuran cities; and Kralkatorrik probably around, well… there’s a lot of magical places in the Crystal Desert and the Desolation.

Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

I don’t think the ley lines can really be related to the Elder Dragons.

From taumanova, we know that the ley lines are alquemy’s energy, and remember how scarlet call it: “dragon’s energy”.
I strongly believe that ley lines and dragons are conected.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

This crossed my mind, but they are physical and made of something that resembles stone. It is indeed possible that the thing she is looking for is physical and that the probes are searching for magic because that is the main trait in whatever she is searching for.

That’s my interpretation – what she’s looking for may or may not have a physical form, but she method she’s looking to search for it is based on its magical properties rather than physical ones. Since Rytlock’s crew don’t know what she’s looking for, but how, they really have no idea if what Scarlet’s looking for has a physical form or not.

you really should get over the calendar change :P just think of it as a correction as tyrian astronomy evolved. it’s not like earth is much different. took us forever to settle on a proper calendar, and even then the kitten thing requires fixing every 4 years.

Historically, every civilisation settles on a calender of twelve months and 365 days (or at least averaging 365 days, in the case of the Chinese calendar) fairly quickly, because it rapidly becomes really obvious if your calendar is short even by a couple of days. Fractions of a day aren’t so obvious, but as years stretch to centuries, the various calender revisions occurred because people noticed.

For instance, the Romulan calender (which gave us September-December) lasted only four decades before people realised it was rubbish and added what we now call January and February. The Julian calendar, which introduced leap years and thus only made a correction of a quarter of a day, was brought in within seven centuries.

The Gregorian calendar, which introduced the current correction of cancelling three leap years every four centuries or so, was recognised as necessary after about sixteen centuries. At that point, the years had only drifted by about twelve days over sixteen centuries… but people had noticed those twelve days, and did something about it.

The Tyrian calender correction is asking us to believe that Tyrians had missed a discrepancy of five days over the course of at least a millenium, when in real live it took no more than seven centuries to notice a discrepancy of a fraction of a day. In the time since the founding of the Mouvelian calendar and the earliest possible time that an asura could have “discovered” a five-day correction, the seasons would literally have marched all the way around the calendar over fourteen times. There’s no way the people of Tyria could have just not noticed that.

The only explanations that would make any sense at all is if the length of the Tyrian year has actually changed (not just discovering a correction that needs to be made, actually having literally become longer) or if the gods were meddling in the climate to force seasons of exactly 90 days regardless of the actual astronomy, and now they’ve left the seasons reverted to their natural (and less ordered) state.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: Underdark.3726

Underdark.3726

For instance, the Romulan calender (which gave us September-December)

fvah? :o

in Lore

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

Probably it’s just me, but I think this new “revelation” about the strongest (woah there) ley line being under Lion’s Arch is a no-brainier. Why there? Why not in Orr where the Source of the land’s magic was so powerful that it beckoned the gods to set up camp on the world of Tyria? Or somewhere in the Far Shiverpeaks where that ancient civilization that had built those crystal-structures found throughout the Depths lived? Or somewhere off the known map: the depths of the inland sea east of the Blazeridge, Tyria’s “America” to the west, at the bottom of that huge bay, south of Cantha, on one of the poles, or an insignificant patch of seafloor far away from any terrestrial land in the Unending Ocean, or anything?

Why… Lion’s… Arch? It’s an insignificant harbor that was once a summer retreat of the first human king and his family… as well as the watery grave of thousands after the Rising of Orr? I see no point in placing the “strongest” (what the heck does that even mean… shouldn’t it be the widest, largest, the one with the most magical charges/second?) underneath the city? Of course, aside from a Hollywood point of view that the destruction of famous megalopolises is “fß-#€!$-in’” awesome and may distract the audience from a shallow story that sucks big time…

It’s very disheartening that moar blood, gore, destruction, and death equals to a more likeable story for so many.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

(edited by Thalador.4218)

in Lore

Posted by: Blurk.6231

Blurk.6231

Probably it’s just me, but I think this new “revelation” about the strongest (woah there) ley line being under Lion’s Arch is a no-brainier. Why there? Why not in Orr where the Source of the land’s magic was so powerful that it beckoned the gods to set up camp on the world of Tyria? Or somewhere in the Far Shiverpeaks where that ancient civilization that had built those crystal-structures found throughout the Depths lived? Or somewhere off the known map: the depths of the inland sea east of the Blazeridge, Tyria’s “America” to the west, at the bottom of that huge bay, south of Cantha, on one of the poles, or an insignificant patch of seafloor far away from any terrestrial land in the Unending Ocean, or anything?

Why… Lion’s… Arch? It’s an insignificant harbor that was once a summer retreat of the first human king and his family… as well as the watery grave of thousands after the Rising of Orr? I see no point in placing the “strongest” (what the heck does that even mean… shouldn’t it be the widest, largest, the one with the most magical charges/second?) underneath the city? Of course, aside from a Hollywood point of view that the destruction of famous megalopolises is “fß-#€!$-in’” awesome and may distract the audience from a shallow story that sucks big time…

It’s very disheartening that moar blood, gore, destruction, and death equals to a more likeable story for so many.

It is also strange that she was looking for the ley line under Lions Arch and that the probes are set out everywhere around the world. If she doesnt need the locations of the other places of the ley lines why place probes there? If I was looking for probes all along I would just put a huge number of probes in and aound the Lions Arch area. I agree that there is nothing extraordinary about Lions Arch that would attract Scarlet´s attention other than it being a populated area.

Look beyond the obvious…

in Lore

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

Except for LA being a site of annual Underworld (Mad Realm) opening LA is as Thaladoe say. But the barrier between Tyria and Mists is weakest in LA, not anywhere elsde. Mad King comes to LA, Wintersday thing was happening in LA, and so on.

It makes sense that it’s a central ley line intersection actually, as testified by M.K. Thorn, tons of demons, all wintersdays in GW1 etc.

So yeah, of all of Tyria maybe Deslation, Door of Komalie and maybe Raisu Palace can possibly come close seconds to Lions Arch when it comes to otherwordly incursions and phenomena, I don’t think any place can quite compete though.

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Except for LA being a site of annual Underworld (Mad Realm) opening LA is as Thaladoe say. But the barrier between Tyria and Mists is weakest in LA, not anywhere elsde. Mad King comes to LA, Wintersday thing was happening in LA, and so on.

It makes sense that it’s a central ley line intersection actually, as testified by M.K. Thorn, tons of demons, all wintersdays in GW1 etc.

So yeah, of all of Tyria maybe Deslation, Door of Komalie and maybe Raisu Palace can possibly come close seconds to Lions Arch when it comes to otherwordly incursions and phenomena, I don’t think any place can quite compete though.

There’s that one spot in the Crystal Desert (probably under the Dragonbrand now) where one could push through into the Hall of Heroes. Then there’s the Central Transfer Chamber, Artesian Waters, and Thaumanova.

in Lore

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

Alright, let’s see.

Lions Arch – every year almost each year opens a portal to Underworld, on wintersday and other occasions also a sight of large scale penomena and incursions from the Mists. Which means repeated and major cyclical magical events.

Central Transfer Chamber – Place of immense power, where asura hosted their main asura gate hub in GW:EN – caused by the presence of Primordus in hibernation, major leaking from his slumbering body. Primordus is awake, PLace is just a cave nowadays I bet, no data to say for sure.

Artesian Waters – Alright, this might be a good cometitor for LA… Place where gods first stood on Tyria. But does it mean ley lines cross there? Hard to say, plus Zhaitan was residing nearby, quite possible he drained the places magic, and even if not, there is no tales of recurring, cyclical phenomena.

Thaumanova – a lab made on intersection of ley lines, where chaos energy has been unleasehd resulting in quite a lot of destruction – I suppose it could count BUT it’s where Scarlet found the ley lines crossing in teh first place, she would have to reuse old location, and who knows what happened to ley lines during explosion? I would assume that for whatever reasons reusing of the same location is not possible, OR ley lines crossing was somehow weaker or unfitting for her schemes.

Prophet Pass – or whatever was the place called in GW1, where one could create a bridge to the Mists and enter Hall of Heroes – It certainly could be a fitting place, except the way I see it, it has Kralkie sitting on top of it. From ones you named, Thalador I would say it’s the best competitor for a major ley line crossing for LA AND it has an Elder Dragon sitting on top of it.

So yeah, this is the contest, who wins in terms of most magical phenomena? I say by sheer cyclical nature it could be Lions Arch.

Which leads me to believe that by way of locating known Dragons – Zhaitan and Kralk in places of huge power I can extrapolate that LA is on Par with Arah and Elona Reach when it comes to ley line power and there would be a big chance thee might be a sleeping Dragon under it :P

Ok, that last part is a huge stretch, but hey, why the hell not, a snack during sleep?

ps. if the Central Chamber has ley line crossings, then remember it also had a Primordus sleeping on it. SO that makes 3 Dragons, one might think a pattern emerges?

ps2, Hell, I’m gonna go on a road trip to see if there is a piece of Mordie sticking out of LA somewhere lol.

(edited by zwierz.9012)