The range of an EDs influence [Spoiler]

in Lore

Posted by: macvanilla.4631

macvanilla.4631

How high is the range of influence of an Elder Dragon. By this I mean how far can it send its minions and still be able to control them.

Scarlet traveled over huge parts of Kryta and the Shiverpeaks and as we now know one of Mordremoth’s champions. Mordremoth itself though awakens somewhere in the Magus Falls. A lot of distance and the dragon was only sleeping while controling her.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

We see risen in Fireheart Rise. We see hostile Icebrood in Metrica Province. Jormag was on the northern edge of the continent (off even the Eye of the North map of GW1) and yet we had Drakkar and Svanir as minions to it.

And it isn’t yet confirmed that Scarlet was corrupted by Mordremoth. Just influenced/manipulated by.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: hardy.7469

hardy.7469

I wouldn’t view ED corruption as something like radios or cell phone reception lol.
I’m sure the corruption is down to the DNA, or magical.
That the corruption has always been in the Sylvari, just somehow the pale tree has been able to stop it.

Of course the EDs influince for Sylvari in the form of dreams and nightmares, perhap because the ED itself was still asleep.
Maybe Scarlets way to stop the nightmares was to wake the dragon up.

Though we don’t know 100% how the link between Sylvari, Pale Tree and Mormedoth works so…soon maybe? Lol

Or it was Abbadon corrupting Scarlet the whole and he’s not dead because magic.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I really wish people stop claiming the sylvari are dragon minions as if it were a fact.

There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to support that claim. It’s just raw speculation and all support the theory had has been debunked!

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

hardy.7469

I really wish people stop claiming the sylvari are dragon minions as if it were a fact.

There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to support that claim. It’s just raw speculation and all support the theory had has been debunked!

Unless there’s ANet employee officially stating otherwise, your yelling and the suggestion that Sylvari are dragon minions are both equally speculative.
Speculations can be neither right or wrong, or as you imply, more wrong.

If there is an official comment about it, link?
No seriously, a link would be nice because if there is an official comment I haven’t seen it.

in Lore

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

Anet can change the lore as and when they please (see: calendar changes) so until a statement made by anet says otherwise, nothing is off the table. Doesn’t matter if there is no evidence, anet can add the evidence at any time.

I don’t believe the sylvari are dragon minions but I believe there is some connection that we don’t know about.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Unless there’s ANet employee officially stating otherwise, your yelling and the suggestion that Sylvari are dragon minions are both equally speculative.
Speculations can be neither right or wrong, or as you imply, more wrong.

It isn’t speculative to say there’s no support for a theory when there is never any support for said theory presented – none, at least, that hasn’t been debunked.

You will note in that post that I did not say “the sylvari are not dragon minions” – I said “I wish people would stop claiming that theory like it’s fact, when there’s no support for said theory.”

Anet can change the lore as and when they please (see: calendar changes) so until a statement made by anet says otherwise, nothing is off the table. Doesn’t matter if there is no evidence, anet can add the evidence at any time.

I don’t believe the sylvari are dragon minions but I believe there is some connection that we don’t know about.

Well then, when they do change the lore, that’s another matter.

Though TBH, if they keep changing the lore on a whim like that, I’m gone. The calendar was managable only because it’s so minor. But this is major, it changes the very core of dragon minions, and an entire playable race, destroying their stance of “we want the players to be the good guys no matter what” because guess what, dragon minions aren’t good guys.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

^ They will not likely make the Sylvari into dragon minions. This means that the character you chose is nothing more than a peon. A can of worms…I sincerely doubt they will open that.

They are probably going to be ‘easier corrupted’ than flesh/blood types. Similar to the risen having no Sylvari within their ranks….that said, it will be more for the sake of the Lore. The PC will likely not face corruption :P

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

About that last point though, the thing is….

While the other races may be corrupted by the Elder Dragons, turned into undead minions or crystalline creatures of the Brand, the sylvari are never turned. Those born of the Pale Tree simply die before the corruption takes hold.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110815225850/http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/races/sylvari/

It’s not just Zhaitan, and we know by just looking at the Brand – as well as Ghosts of Ascalon – that Kralkatorrik held no issues in corrupting plants.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Jormag likes living minions(the Claw of Jormag is clearly bone and ice), Kralkatorrik’s reasons for killing Sylvari is unknown(both it and Primordus’s minions hold the least sentience of Elder Dragon Minions so anything connected to the dream it most likely kills) and Zhaitan just has Risen Grubs climb out of them as the Sylvari dies(for all we know that may be his version of Sylvari corruption).

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Speculation is fun. Quit acting like a buzzkill because people have opinions other than yours.

in Lore

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Speculation is permitted…. Stating things as fact is not.

It’s even an official rule by ArenaNet I hear.

in Lore

Posted by: Jelle.4623

Jelle.4623

Let’s develop an equivalent to the reddiquette for the lore forums.
Point #1: Stating things as a fact is heavily discouraged.

Edit: as a matter of fact, I might just make a topic about this.

(edited by Jelle.4623)

in Lore

DarcShriek.5829

We spend 14 months trying to prevent a sylvari from awakening her master, an elder dragon. With all the heroes of Tyria, we failed in that task and yet I’m being told that there is no proof that sylvari can be corrupted. If the last season of the LS isn’t proof that a sylvari was a dragon champion, then there is no such thing as proof.

in Lore

Jelle.4623

We spend 14 months trying to prevent a sylvari from awakening her master, an elder dragon. With all the heroes of Tyria, we failed in that task and yet I’m being told that there is no proof that sylvari can be corrupted. If the last season of the LS isn’t proof that a sylvari was a dragon champion, then there is no such thing as proof.

Let me put it this way:

As I understand it, in the [Lore] guild there is now speculation that sylvari born from the Pale Tree can not be corrupted. In other words, sylvari under the influence Dream can not be corrupted.

Scarlet broke/was disconnected from her ties to the Dream using Omadd’s machine, unlike the Soundless who are using meditation to stay disconnected from the Dream. This mean that arguably/possibly Scarlet could have been corrupted.

However, there is no proof she was corrupted and there is a huge difference in being corrupted and being influenced by an Elder Dragon.

in Lore

macvanilla.4631

I don’t know the definition of being corrupted.

But isn’t being influenced by a dragon the same as being corrupted?

About the range. Kokittenve examples that it is very high. Why would the dragons need to move away from the location of their awakening at all? Jormag is moving south and Kralkatorrik flew into the crystal desert, while Primordus is creating tunnels.

EDIT: What the hell is happening with the words Konig and gave >(

(edited by macvanilla.4631)

in Lore

Mickey Frogeater.1470

I’d say being influenced is being corrupted…

To those claiming the Sons of Svanir we talk to in Hoelbrak aren’t corrupted are likely deluding themselves.

They are likely Icebrood like the other Sons of Svanir. It goes without saying that Icebrood are likely intelligent.

Scarlet is likely a Dragon Champion of Modremoth. Whether other Sylvari are Dragon minions is unknown… We do know that Dragons can corrupt other Dragon minions so obviously whatever defenses Omadd’s machine broke are likely what’s keeping Sylvari from being corrupted.

in Lore

Jelle.4623

No.

Corrupted equals being brainwashed. You don’t have any free will left after being corrupted. After being corrupted, a minion is unconitionally devoted to his Elder Dragon.

Influenced is different because when you’re influenced, not corrupted, you still have your free will. Still devoted, probably, but not brain washed.

I’d say being influenced is being corrupted…

To those claiming the Sons of Svanir we talk to in Hoelbrak aren’t corrupted are likely deluding themselves.

They are likely Icebrood like the other Sons of Svanir. It goes without saying that Icebrood are likely intelligent.

Scarlet is likely a Dragon Champion of Modremoth. Whether other Sylvari are Dragon minions is unknown… We do know that Dragons can corrupt other Dragon minions so obviously whatever defenses Omadd’s machine broke are likely what’s keeping Sylvari from being corrupted.

Sylvari aren’t born as dragon minions. The new theory suggests that after being permanently severed from their connection to the Dream they can be corrupted. Previously, they would die instead of getting corrupted. This is based on the theory that the Dream makes sylvari immune for corruption.

in Lore

macvanilla.4631

This is based on the theory that the Dream makes sylvari immune for corruption.

We’ll get the answer when Mordremoth finds Malyck’s tree. Which should take no time.

Also could it be that Scarlet’s nightmare about the Pale Tree was not intended to be about the one standing in The Grove but the one Malyck originates from?

in Lore

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

You’d think she could recognize her own mother. But who knows. It’s been a while since I read it and I don’t recall how specific it gets with the details.

Anyway, when all is said and done and theories are tossed around about the Sylvari being minions, always remember – how likely would it be for Anet to make an entire playable race turn out to be dragon minions? Even with all the evidence stacked against it, that is what truly makes that theory ridiculous to me.

Corruptability when the tie to the dream has been severed or potentially never existed in the first place? Now that’s another beast entirely.

in Lore

macvanilla.4631

I don’t believe in the Sylvari being dragon minions. But the corruptability without magical defenses should be given since they are plants and we are still assuming that Mordremoth is corrupting plants.

in Lore

Posted by: Soulmyr.8094

Soulmyr.8094

Maybe Sylvari can’t be corrupted as long as their mother tree is alive and the dream exists. Scarlet got under Mordy control due to breaking the connection and was susceptible to his influence.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Jormag likes living minions(the Claw of Jormag is clearly bone and ice), Kralkatorrik’s reasons for killing Sylvari is unknown(both it and Primordus’s minions hold the least sentience of Elder Dragon Minions so anything connected to the dream it most likely kills) and Zhaitan just has Risen Grubs climb out of them as the Sylvari dies(for all we know that may be his version of Sylvari corruption).

Branded are just as intelligent as icebrood and risen, actually. See Edge of Destiny. And Jormag’s known to corrupt corpses as well – again, see Edge of Destiny. Furthermore, we know that Zhaitan can corrupt plants and living beings (Kellach and Sparkfly Fen reversely).

The grubs are likely just feasting on the corpses.

Speculation is fun. Quit acting like a buzzkill because people have opinions other than yours.

Sure, speculate if you wish – it’s what we’re here for. Doesn’t mean it’s not unsupported and thus should not be stated as fact which is what I was saying.

We have been told since before release that sylvari cannot be corrupted. Specifically, the wording was “those born from the Pale Tree”.

This means that there’s something unique to the Pale Tree that prevent corruption.

Malyck is also not a dragon minion – it’s pretty obvious on that given his personality. The only thing he lacks is a Dream of Dreams experience.

Scarlet might be corrupted – it’s not proven yet. Just because she aided in rising Mordremoth doesn’t make her a minion (Sons of Svanir are not corrupted, they aided in rising Jormag).

Combine the three, sylvari’s natural state is not minions, but it may be the one thing unique to the Pale Tree amongst sylvari is the Dream that prevents corruption.

Ergo, sylvari can be corrupted, but sylvari from the Pale Tree (so long as they don’t break ties to the Dream like Scarlet did) cannot be corrupted.

No. Sons of Svanir are not corrupted, but they are influenced.

Corruption leads to becoming a dragon minion. Dragon minions have their flesh turned into the element of the dragon (ice, crystal, etc.) and all but the strongest (lieutenants and champions) become more or less mindless “kill anything they see”, as well as unquestionably fanatic.

Influenced just means manipulation.

It’s outright stated in lore that the Sons of Svanir are not icebrood. They’re still fanatic to Jormag, but it’s their free will and choice to be so. Dragon minions – icebrood included – have no free will.

And the Sons of Svanir are not turning into ice.

Mind you, the more a Son of Svanir siphons magic from Jormag (such as his shamans) the more icebrood like they get, and eventually all shamans become icebrood.

Only the lieutenants and dragon champions are intelligent. Most icebrood are not.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

hardy.7469

The only thing we have to go on about the connection with the Sylvari and Mordremoth (if there is one) is that other Silvari not born of the pale tree.
He didn’t have dreams, which leads one to believe that there’s something special about the players one.
Be it the tablet, how it was planet, something magical in the location is was placed in etc.
The Nightmare, I would assume, it the influence of Modremoth trying to get through, or the connection all Sylvari have with the ED showing itself prior to waking up and being protected by the pale tree.
Or something. lol

All I know is that pale tree has some ‘splainin’ to do!

in Lore

DarcShriek.5829

Let me put it this way:

As I understand it, in the [Lore] guild there is now speculation that sylvari born from the Pale Tree can not be corrupted. In other words, sylvari under the influence Dream can not be corrupted.

Scarlet broke/was disconnected from her ties to the Dream using Omadd’s machine, unlike the Soundless who are using meditation to stay disconnected from the Dream. This mean that arguably/possibly Scarlet could have been corrupted.

However, there is no proof she was corrupted and there is a huge difference in being corrupted and being influenced by an Elder Dragon.

Except there is evidence of corruption in Scarlet’s case. In her logs it appears she lost her free will over time and had no choice but to awaken her master. Also, the fact she refers to the dragon as a master is evidence of corruption. Also, like other dragon champions, she seemed to be given freakish skills. Svanir gained strength after he was corrupted.

Do we have to be spoonfed with a large neon sign in order to recognize corruption?

Yes Hardy, the Pale Tree does have some ’splainin to do.

If creatures corrupted by an elder dragon, have their flesh changed to it’s sphere, then how do you explain Svanir? Also as Scarlett is already a plant, the physical portion can’t manifest. Although, there is the matter of the red thorns used to kill Omadd. I’m not aware of any other sylvari having this ability.

(edited by DarcShriek.5829)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

@hardy: It’s not the last, as Kralkatorrik woke up after the sylvari came to be and they’re immune to becoming Branded (Branded and Risen are the explicit statements of no-sylvari-corruption-possible).

@Darc: I don’t see her losing her free will over time in her journals. Rather, her losing her sanity. Then she succumbed to the entity (be it Mordremoth, a champion of Mordremoth, or someone who’d want to see the dragon rise but isn’t related to it) rather than go insane. This doesn’t show a lack of free will per se. Just bowing to a new master (to use her terms for Tyria).

And what “freakish skills” does Scarlet have that isn’t derived from her born-with genius?

Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

DarcShriek.5829

To me, Scarlet appears to have gotten smarter after her experience.

in Lore

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

I’m not sure Scarlett was influenced at all by an ED. Its possible she was being controlled by something else and the rise of Mordremoth was an unintended side effect.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

@Darc: Scarlet passed through the special courses of all three colleges before going into the machine which was, by all appearances, what allowed the entity into her mind.

So I would disagree that she got smarter. Wiser, sure, since she knew more. But not so much smarter. But everyone gets wiser everyday – or should.

@Silver: “Tyria will bow to a new master” kind of seems like she was intentionally trying to feed the dragon, especially given the line seen if you take an engineer to the instance and interact with the panels.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

For some reason, people often forget Primordus. His minions cover the largest amount of land mass out of any of the known dragons. You can virtually find a destroyer in almost every major region. This could very well be because of underground caverns with less confict or obstruction to cover large amount of areas, but regardless it confirms minions will infact travel far and wide if given the chance.

in Lore

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

@Silver: “Tyria will bow to a new master” kind of seems like she was intentionally trying to feed the dragon, especially given the line seen if you take an engineer to the instance and interact with the panels.

Who ever said Mordrimoth was her master? Could have been someone else. It’s possible disrupting the ley lines were like breaking the bars on a cage and something is escaping. The thing with Mordremoth could just mean its the next dragon in the personal story.

in Lore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“We spend 14 months trying to prevent a sylvari from awakening her master, an elder dragon. With all the heroes of Tyria, we failed in that task and yet I’m being told that there is no proof that sylvari can be corrupted. If the last season of the LS isn’t proof that a sylvari was a dragon champion, then there is no such thing as proof.”

Scarlet could be the GW2 equivalent of a mage in basement who is summoning a demon or a necromancer in a crypt who is summoning a lich. Using that analogy there’s no reason why she needs to be anything other than talented and mad.

in Lore

DarcShriek.5829

“We spend 14 months trying to prevent a sylvari from awakening her master, an elder dragon. With all the heroes of Tyria, we failed in that task and yet I’m being told that there is no proof that sylvari can be corrupted. If the last season of the LS isn’t proof that a sylvari was a dragon champion, then there is no such thing as proof.”

Scarlet could be the GW2 equivalent of a mage in basement who is summoning a demon or a necromancer in a crypt who is summoning a lich. Using that analogy there’s no reason why she needs to be anything other than talented and mad.

Typically, when the mage in the basement summons a demon, mom brings down cookies and milk.

That and the mage never refers to the summoned demon as “master”. Typically, the demon refers to the summoner as master.

Also, demons are typically summon to bring power to the summoner. Scarlet already had enough armies to challenge for power. What could she possibly want from the dragon? There is no indication she wanted anything.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Actually, there is indication of what she wanted if not corrupted:

Canach: Scarlet’s forces didn’t even glance my way. I should be offended, but for once I’m glad to have been overlooked.
Canach: Yes, Scarlet and I share a certain…fixation on self-determination, but we are not natural allies.
Canach: I seek to define my role in this world. She seeks to tear this world down and use the rubble as her throne.
Canach: I’ve seen eyes like hers…in the mirror. She’s not in control. Whatever drives her is destroying her day by day from within.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Edge_of_the_Mists_%28living_world%29

Though the “she’s not in control” does point to the manipulation, if not corruption, Canach hints at her personal goal. Which matches the original statement of her goal after she emerged from the machine:

Scarlet giggled as she raised her hand to her face and watched the red thorn vine chase itself between her fingers. “So much makes sense now. The Pale Tree, the Nightmare Court, Caithe and Faolain…it’s all part of a grand design.

“But I see the flaws in that design. My people don’t have to take what we’re given, or be what we were “born to be.” No people do. We can change the rules…well, I can. And I’m going to.”

Omadd said nothing. With dusty red thorn vines wrapped tightly around his throat, wrists, and ankles, he could not. He hung silent and still, suspended from all four walls and the ceiling on a tangled deadfall of thorns, as blood dripped and pooled below him.

“I’ve learned so much,” Scarlet continued. “Now I have to put that knowledge to use. An insurmountable challenge is rising, and my people have been called to meet it. We are compelled by our creator to do so.

“But I reject that call. I reject the notion that that I must choose the Dream or be lost to Nightmare. The forces that push us this way or that can be redirected. They can be set against one another to the detriment of both, and now I know how.”

Scarlet gestured and the thorns around Omadd tightened. They raised his lifeless body high, and then turned it to greet whoever entered the room next.

Scarlet’s voice rose as she went on. “I have a great deal of work ahead of me. I don’t know what the world will be when I’m through, but I will very much enjoy finding out. Empires will fall, continents will burn, and when the conflagration is over, I’ll be there to put my stamp on whatever new world this one becomes.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Short_Story:_What_Scarlet_Saw

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

DarcShriek.5829

The ironic thing about the quotes you use is that they also provide evidence she is corrupted. The specific line from Canach is:

Canach: I’ve seen eyes like hers…in the mirror. She’s not in control. Whatever drives her is destroying her day by day from within.

As far as her goal is concerned, we don’t know if it’s the corruption talking or not.

Also, my point that she has armies that seem powerful enough to give her what she wants with out the dragon still stands. I would also like to restate that it is her calling the dragon master, and if she was summoning the dragon, the dragon would call her master. If she was the ego maniac that this forum likes to portray her as, she would not refer to the dragon as the master. That title she would leave to herself.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The ironic thing about the quotes you use is that they also provide evidence she is corrupted.

I never argued she wasn’t corrupted, you should note. And in fact, I said “Though the “she’s not in control” does point to the manipulation, if not corruption, Canach hints at her personal goal.”

Also, my point that she has armies that seem powerful enough to give her what she wants with out the dragon still stands.

She wants to destroy and remak the world in her image, basically.

Her armies got beaten at every turn. They aren’t capable of doing that.

I would also like to restate that it is her calling the dragon master, and if she was summoning the dragon, the dragon would call her master.

Teeeechnically speaking, we don’t know exactly who she refers to about the master.

But that’s splitting hairs. Again, I never argued that she isn’t corrupted. I, personally, think she is. It isn’t full-proof concrete certainty with no other possibility that she is corrupted, however. And I was merely stating “if she wasn’t corrupted, this is her stated goals”.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

DarcShriek.5829

A couple points Konig, you make the claim that her armies were beaten at every turn, yet she still succeeded in waking up Mordy. After supposedly being beaten for 14 months, she still accomplished what she set out to do. If her armies had truly been beaten like you claim, it would not have been possible for her to wake up Mordy.

At this point, it seems harder to argue that she wasn’t corrupted then to argue that she was. If you follow the tenet that the simplest solution is the best solution, then she’s been corrupted.

As far as not arguing that she’s corrupted, you’ve been the biggest peddler of the position that sylvari can’t be corrupted on the forum. give me a break.

in Lore

Mickey Frogeater.1470

We should also note the changes on Scarlet’s face when she died.

It is even more evidence of corruption. Infact they may be signs that Sylvari aren’t Dragon Minions. Even the Nightmare Court dosen’t have them… I think…

Actually the Nightmare Court looks dead more than anything so if they were corrupted by an Elder Dragon that Elder Dragon is likely the late Zhaitan considering how Faolain(who used the Nightmare to hijack the Nightmare Court) was in Orr when corrupted by the Nightmare.

Of course since the Dream is assumed by us to protect against Dragon Corruption it’s likely Zhaitan is only capable of corrupting through the Nightmare…. Or it has something to do with Faolain being a Firstborn and thus not actually being born into the Dream itself…. Of course if a Firstborn is corrupted what’s to stop her from finding a way to spread the corruption into Sylvari born into the Dream.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

A couple points Konig, you make the claim that her armies were beaten at every turn, yet she still succeeded in waking up Mordy. After supposedly being beaten for 14 months, she still accomplished what she set out to do. If her armies had truly been beaten like you claim, it would not have been possible for her to wake up Mordy.

You need to tell the difference between a few things. In this case:

Her armies being beaten individually is NOT the same as her plans being hindered. At every turn, she already got what she needed – sonic devices, holograms, Watchknights, the anti-toxin. Only time we actually hindered Scarlet was Mai Trin’s defeat. But that wasn’t by much.

We beat her armies. But we never beat her plans.

As far as not arguing that she’s corrupted, you’ve been the biggest peddler of the position that sylvari can’t be corrupted on the forum. give me a break.

Because until now, there was no indication that sylvari could not be corrupted. But even then, I have argued on a side for a while that it could be that the Dream prevents their corruption.

And let’s face it, I haven’t argued against her being corrupted except for any claim that she obviously is. It’s highly likely she was corrupted, but not outright confirmed, and we know for a fact that, until Scarlet it was stated lore that sylvari of the Pale Tree could not be corrupted.

And even then, what I “peddle” against is the speculation that sylvari are born dragon minions. I have, since the theorizing began, been a member of the “Nightmare is Mordremoth’s influence” camp.

Actually the Nightmare Court looks dead more than anything so if they were corrupted by an Elder Dragon that Elder Dragon is likely the late Zhaitan considering how Faolain(who used the Nightmare to hijack the Nightmare Court) was in Orr when corrupted by the Nightmare.

Of course since the Dream is assumed by us to protect against Dragon Corruption it’s likely Zhaitan is only capable of corrupting through the Nightmare…. Or it has something to do with Faolain being a Firstborn and thus not actually being born into the Dream itself…. Of course if a Firstborn is corrupted what’s to stop her from finding a way to spread the corruption into Sylvari born into the Dream.

Gavin – a high ranking Courtier – looks far from “dead.” Neither do Renvari, Ysvelta, or Bercilak. It’s also stated lore that Courtiers sometimes infiltrate non-Court places to spread Nightmare, this wouldn’t be possible if they had some sort of physical alteration.

Also, Firstborn had a Dream of Dreams experience too.

Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Just checked up on things and Faolain is the only Sylvari who looks undead…..

Bizzare….. Am I wrong or has someone(either fan or Official source including ingame) mentioned that Faolain was born in the Nightmare she met at Orr?

If She was then Zhaitan likely influenced the Pale Tree’s pods at some point….

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I wouldn’t say Faolain looks undead. I mean, any sylvari player can duplicate that look.

And I don’t know what you mean by “Faolain was born in the Nightmare” – she was not always corrupted by the Nightmare, and even then when she first encountered the Nightmare she did not fully fall to it – Cadeyrn pulled her fully into Nightmare, and she subsequently took over the Nightmare Court (to his disdain).

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: R weezy.4602

R weezy.4602

They do compare Scarlet to the Soundless who have cut themselves off from the Dream of Dreams completely, and she only did this because the voices (the dream and the dragon) were driving her crazy, but because of Omadd there was only the voice of the dragon left. Its possible that the Nightmare that all sylvari face and only some accept is the doing of this Dragon, perhaps he was tried to influence the Pale Tree and the tree responded by creating the Inner Dream as a way to fight against that influence so the sylvari born of that tree won’t be ruled by the dragon,unless they give in to nightmare believing it to be something else much like the Nightmare court do. That could be why the Inner Dream is unqiue to the Pale Tree in the Grove, also because the seed the Grove’s Pale tree came from was given to Ventari and he made that tablet, the tablet could have been what kept the Pale Tree in the Grove from corrupting. But when Malyck awoke from his tree he didn’t go through the Inner dream, probably because there was no need to keep them safe from the dragon and they did not have the tablet of Ventari. As we know the Pale Tree is a living entity and is capable of taking these measures should something like this occur.