What happened to Evennia?

in Lore

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I know there is a lot of talk about the Gates of Maguuma, but seeing some lose threads from GW1 brought up reminded me of this big one that never got finished. Last I recall, Evennia was sent on a diplomatic mission to Ascalon but Aldelbern refused to see her. She disappeared shortly afterwards.

The GW:B team lead swapped from Linsey Murdock to John Stumme (who gave us the awesome Winds of Change closure plot for Factions) but we still never saw Evennia’s story continue. I haven’t read Sea of Sorrows and I’m sure there are still mysteries I don’t know about hidden throughout Ascalon, but was Evennia’s fate ever revealed in GW2? Presumably she was killed by bandits, charr or something else dangerous wandering Tyria, more likely Adelbern may have done something to her, as a long shot, is it possible some surviving members of the White Mantle had something to do with her fate? Maybe if season two explores the White Mantle again this seemingly dead plot thread could get some closure.

in Lore

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

She went missing and that’s all we know. We don’t know why. We don’t know how. We don’t know what happened. All we know is that she was last seen in Old Ascalon.

At that point, Anet still had plans to continue on with GW Beyond and her disappearance was probably a teaser to help lead into the next GW Beyond content. But then Linsey left and John Stumme came in and they changed their direction and did WoC instead. As we all know, Anet stopped all development for GW1 after WoC.

in Lore

Shiren.9532

But we have GW2 now. The events post GW1 are all history now. Evennia’s fate could be explained somehow in GW2, whether it be an event in Ascalon where you come across her ghost and she explains how she died, a stray bit of dialogue or mention in a book at Ebonhawk that mentions a rumour about her or some kind of Shining Blade legend about what happened to her.

in Lore

Posted by: Tamias.7059

Tamias.7059

Yeah, Evennia’s death is an unsolved mystery to be sure, but don’t think we’ll find out anything about it during Season 2. Although she was Shining Blade, I think her disappearance was probably more involved in the plot surrounding the founding of Ebonhawke.

Victory Is Life Eternal [VILE]

in Lore

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

Yeah, Evennia’s death is an unsolved mystery to be sure, but don’t think we’ll find out anything about it during Season 2. Although she was Shining Blade, I think her disappearance was probably more involved in the plot surrounding the founding of Ebonhawke.

I was thinking Ebonhawke too.

in Lore

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

Yea , that was pretty much what most people assumed since the founding of Ebonhawke was one of the plot lines anet wanted to explore in GW Beyond.

in Lore

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

Any reason Evennia couldn’t be the mysterious E who keeps sending us mail?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Well, usually, humans don’t live 250 years. And we have no reason to believe Evennia is one of those exceptions.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Horst Hortensie.5420

Horst Hortensie.5420

Don’t know exactly, but around 150 years ago she seemed still very young. There is no sign that she lives, but also none that she is dead. name mistake

Slow clap for the great puppet player.

(edited by Horst Hortensie.5420)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

250 years ago. This is Evennia we’re talking about.

You may be thinking of Livia from Sea of Sorrows, which was 70 years ago (roughly) – though originally ZHaitan was to rise ~150 years prior to GW2, where I think you got that 150 from. Unless you meant 2 instead of 1.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Things like this are exactly why I don’t want long drawn out story lines. ArenaNet being the iterative company they are can not keep a long story line going. I am afraid another shift in direction will halt stories already in progress. Heck we are already on our 3rd different way of how story content is delivered to us. This is why I don’t get too invested in the stories anymore. The chance for a tidy conclusion like a properly told story should have is close to an impossibility. They have also recently show a propensity for plot holes, timeline inconsistencies etc. It wouldn’t shock me if some of the art in Scarlet’s apt. was thrown in there not for building lore, but just to get people talking on the forums because ArenaNet enjoys our speculations.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

in Lore

Shiren.9532

I think the primary reason Evennia’s story was never closed was the Live Team lead swapped and while Evennia was intended to be explored next by the original lead, the new lead wanted to turn to Cantha instead of Ascalona (something I think turned out well).

There are a few GW:Beyond plots left open. There was the Lunatic Court lich? that appeared in Droknar’s Forge, there was three (or four?) sworn element girls on the boat in Embark Beach (is that even correct – details are fuzzy) there is the mystery behind the original appearance of M.O.X. and the assassination attempts on the three leaders. I would put Bahltek here but I genuinely believe he was never a mystery to be solved but rather something for people to think was something but it was really nothing. Like the chat gem in Diablo 2.

I’m sure there are other unresolved plots from GW:B or just GW in general. I’d love to see some of them resolved in GW2, even if it’s just a small event in the open world.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The unresolved plots from GW:B that never came to be were just the Halloween plot (including the lich), which seems to be getting concluding with GW2 (we just missed a stage or two where the Lunatic Court’s attempts backfired); Elona, which we never got a hint to but likely would be the stepping stones for Joko conquering Vabbit 55 years later; and the establishment of Ebonhawke (and the outcome of Evennia), the former we were told in GW2 via The Founding books in Ebonhawke. Technically M.O.X. wasn’t part of Beyond, but lets include that assassin too.

So really, we missed only 3 of 5 remaining Beyond plots, with the two we didn’t miss just lacking a first-person showing, rather than the second-person telling we got.

Now, plots left loose in GW1 in general… that’s a lot, but only because they were tiny threads that could be picked up, and not threads that would be.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: DorDor.8617

DorDor.8617

The fact that she was a mortal human 150 years ago is a pretty big reason. I mean, she (or her captors, if she was captured by someone) could probably use magic to extend her life, but the chances of her appearing in game are pretty slim, barring time-travel shenanigans. But considering time-travel shenanigans aren’t really a thing in Tyria, I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

wanderingstoryteller.tumblr.com – Guild Wars content that’s only 75% terrible!

in Lore

Posted by: kyro.8162

kyro.8162

The fact that she was a mortal human 150 years ago is a pretty big reason. I mean, she (or her captors, if she was captured by someone) could probably use magic to extend her life, but the chances of her appearing in game are pretty slim, barring time-travel shenanigans. But considering time-travel shenanigans aren’t really a thing in Tyria, I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Annihilator

Sanctum of Rall
New Namek [Kami]
Guardian/Ele/Warrior/Engi/Mes/Necro/Ranger

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

That quest and everything around it was an April Fools joke. There is no canon lore to it.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

There are a few GW:Beyond plots left open. There was the Lunatic Court lich? that appeared in Droknar’s Forge,

The lich was not lunatic court, she simply appeared during the halloween events.

in Lore

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

The unresolved plots from GW:B that never came to be were just the Halloween plot (including the lich), which seems to be getting concluding with GW2 (we just missed a stage or two where the Lunatic Court’s attempts backfired); Elona, which we never got a hint to but likely would be the stepping stones for Joko conquering Vabbit 55 years later; and the establishment of Ebonhawke (and the outcome of Evennia), the former we were told in GW2 via The Founding books in Ebonhawke. Technically M.O.X. wasn’t part of Beyond, but lets include that assassin too.

So really, we missed only 3 of 5 remaining Beyond plots, with the two we didn’t miss just lacking a first-person showing, rather than the second-person telling we got.

Now, plots left loose in GW1 in general… that’s a lot, but only because they were tiny threads that could be picked up, and not threads that would be.

The Palawa Joko plot’s lead up seems to have been set up satisfactorily as being tied to the Lunatic Court plot.

The Lunatic Court plot showed Mad King Thorn goading Palawa Joko into conquering Elona.

The actual invasion not being shown is better off not being shown for the same reason Emperor Usoku’s banishment of the Tengu isn’t shown.

In other words there was the Tyria arc(War in Kryta), Elona arc(Lunatic Court), Eye of the North arc(Hearts of the North) and the Cantha arc(Winds of Change) and only the Tyria and Elona arcs left loose ends(Evennia for Tyria and the Nameless Lich for Elona).

With how things are going in this season of the Living Story we might learn who is responsible for the Golems sent to assassinate Salma, Emperor Kizu and the Princes of Vabbi.

Personally I suspect Menzies the Mad is behind it….

in Lore

Posted by: DorDor.8617

DorDor.8617

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Annihilator

Oh… huh. The more you know, I guess.

wanderingstoryteller.tumblr.com – Guild Wars content that’s only 75% terrible!