[theory] Locations of other pale trees

in Lore

Posted by: BetaWar.7903

BetaWar.7903

I haven’t seen this posted previously, and was unable to find it in the search, but we all know how that goes.

I have been reading around and a lot of people subscribe to the theory that the pale tree(s) are spawning minions of Mordramoth (aka the Sylvari), where the Sylvari that we know were “corrupted” (I prefer to think of them as purified) by Ventari’s tablet. The dream was erected to protect the newly awakened Sylvari from Mortramoth’s influence. This is all common theory out there.

If we take the above as true (whether or not it actually is the case) we can move on. We also know that there is at least 1 other pale tree grown out there in the world, we just don’t know where. This thread is to discuss the possible places the tree may be, and why we think that one is or is not a likely candidate.

There have been a few threads in this section talking about why the Maguuma Wastes are drying up. An interview a while back hints that there may be a nefarious purpose behind the land becoming inhospitable, there are also theories of the White Mantle or Seers or dragons seeping the magic from the land and causing it to not have the regenerative waters it was known for in GW1 (thus causing the vegetation to die off).

My theory is a bit different.

Assuming that the pale trees are controlled by Mordramoth under normal circumstances, that would point towards them being used to create minions for Mordramoth to control (just like the other dragon’s corrupt those around them to create minions). As Sylvari are plants, and come from a giant tree, they would require resources to grow and hatch. My guess is that there is a pale tree in the Maguuma Wastes which is strangling out the surrounding plant life in its goal of creating an army of minions for Mordramoth.

Thoughts? Other theories/ facts that disprove this?

in Lore

Posted by: NinjaChris.9340

NinjaChris.9340

This does seem quite plausible to me, however:
The question remains how Mordremoth controls these other pale trees and more to the point, how the teachings of Ventari simply broke that control. The control the other dragons have over their minions seems to be complete and undefiable, so why are the Sylvari different?

Also, the general theory of the Sylvari being dragon minions feels quite odd to me, since they are so fundamentally different.

in Lore

Posted by: Syryn.7591

Syryn.7591

There is a Sylvari you meet during one of the personal storylines of the Sylvari playable character that goes by the name of Malyk. He is a Sylvari that is from another tree and knows nothing of The Dream or The Nightmare Court, and to put it short, he’s a happy medium between the two, seeming to have an affinity for both good things and greyer things. Most importantly however, he disproves the theory that the Pale Tree was meant to be an elder dragon minion and was “freed” or “purified” by Ventari’s Tablet, because his tree has no tablet and is apparently not breeding dragon minions.

Entryn ele
I main an ele but playeth all the things
[FLOT]

in Lore

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

So I would like to say too. Syryn. However, if, and a surely hope not, but if Mordremoth is behind Scarlet’s actions then we need to look at the warning the Pale Tree gave her in that light too.

That warning being “In seeking to comprehend the forces that shape us, you will unleash them.”

…please let it not be so.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

in Lore

Posted by: Syryn.7591

Syryn.7591

So I would like to say too. Syryn. However, if, and a surely hope not, but if Mordremoth is behind Scarlet’s actions then we need to look at the warning the Pale Tree gave her in that light too.

That warning being “In seeking to comprehend the forces that shape us, you will unleash them.”

See that line leads me to believe that it’s not Mordremoth, it seems that the Dragons after a while can awake themselves just fine without any help from the outside. I think it’s something different, something exclusively from the mists. But at this point my train of thought gets caught up in all kinds of things and I can’t make heads or tails of what i mean.

But then there’s that whole, whatever she saw had to have been inside her all along…so I just don’t know.

Entryn ele
I main an ele but playeth all the things
[FLOT]

in Lore

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

Which could exclusively mean those who experience the Dream, and not Sylvari as a whole. As far as we know, only the Pale Tree that births player Sylvari is connected to the Dream. We also know it is not the only creature in Tyria connected to the dream. So, when the Pale Tree mentions the “forces that shape us”, she could be referring to dreamers and not Sylvari.

in Lore

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

The expansion of sylvari lore would be fascinating to explore further. Perhaps some way to revisit the cave where the Pale Tree’s seed came from, and finding clues as to how they got there in the first place would be really interesting.

It just seems strange that there are these seeds the pop up just in time for new Dragons awakening, but there is very little lore regarding sylvari origins.

I am also very curious about this quote regarding Malyck by Amaranda (sylvari seer):
“A distant shore—and darnkess. A root, a cave…you. You are the seed. What Ronan knew and never told still lingers in the Dream.”

This suggests there is more the Pale-Tree founding store that was never revealed. What else did Ronan find in that cave that he never told? How could the other seeds that Ronan found have gotten dispersed, or is there some other source that put seeds in the cave in the first place? I really hope we get to explore this during an upcoming story. Perhaps we can learn something from the reveal over the next few weeks.

in Lore

Posted by: Terry Bogard.6950

Terry Bogard.6950

I think it’s interesting that the Maguuma Jungle in GW1 had several dead giant trees. Some of which are surrounded by giant thorny dead brambles. Ventari made his refuge under one of them.

Also, the old Henge of Denravi included the outer remains of a giant tree which was constantly watched over by a ray of light. The remains appear to be covered up now in GW2. Though rays of light still search the surrounding area. The beautiful fountain found there in both GWs still thrives, though now enjoys a very similar looking ray through it.

(edited by Terry Bogard.6950)

in Lore

Posted by: Darkbattlemage.9612

Darkbattlemage.9612

But then there’s that whole, whatever she saw had to have been inside her all along…so I just don’t know.

That’s a misconception, the quote doesn’t necessary imply she always had whatever she saw in her mind only that it was already inside her mind when she entered the machine. It is possible it a demon or another Mist entity that possessed her and was trapped by her Sylvari physiology.

Is it possible that one was at Cantha and became petrified? I remember the cinematic for Factions showing some of the trees to be exceptionally large, some were carved into housing. Could it be they were once Sylvari Trees that had yet grown to the state of their cycle they produced Sylvari?

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.
Chaos always finds a way, who you think Evil learned it from?

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

That’s a misconception, the quote doesn’t necessary imply she always had whatever she saw in her mind only that it was already inside her mind when she entered the machine. It is possible it a demon or another Mist entity that possessed her and was trapped by her Sylvari physiology.

Is it possible that one was at Cantha and became petrified? I remember the cinematic for Factions showing some of the trees to be exceptionally large, some were carved into housing. Could it be they were once Sylvari Trees that had yet grown to the state of their cycle they produced Sylvari?

That’s highly unlikely given the petrification was a result of the Jade Wind which Shiro unleashed in 872 AE. The Kurzicks declared independence in 459BE – and most probably resided in Echovald Forest from that point on if they had not already. So that’s a pretty long time in which the trees were not petrified. I’d think the Canthan’s might have had some stories about the Sylvari if they had ever existed there.

in Lore

Posted by: Darkbattlemage.9612

Darkbattlemage.9612

That’s highly unlikely given the petrification was a result of the Jade Wind which Shiro unleashed in 872 AE. The Kurzicks declared independence in 459BE – and most probably resided in Echovald Forest from that point on if they had not already. So that’s a pretty long time in which the trees were not petrified. I’d think the Canthan’s might have had some stories about the Sylvari if they had ever existed there.

Oh ok, just came to that conclusion since the trees appeared to be roughly the same size of the Pale Tree.

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.
Chaos always finds a way, who you think Evil learned it from?

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

They’re just very large trees. In the factions CGI cinematic you can see the tree’s in their unpetrified state (although given that wasn’t made in-house and in light of house weird the Prophecies cinematic was we probably can’t take it as absolute truth)

in Lore

Terry Bogard.6950

There was the Warden who resided in the Echovald Forest. Just a thought.

From the old GW wiki:
"The mysterious and ancient Wardens guard the areas of Cantha hit hardest by Shiro’s legacy. Protectors of the Echovald that was, they now guard the petrified forest it has become. They may once have been human, perhaps powerful druids or holy men, but they long ago merged with the spirit they served to become something altogether different.

Now they stand as the ultimate protectors of the Echovald that is. The clan claims the right of vengeance for what Shiro Tagachi wrought, and blames all humans for the Jade Wind that stripped the woods and sea of life, but inexplicably left the Wardens unharmed. Driven nearly mad, enraged at their failure to fulfill their only purpose, they work in their own mysterious ways to reverse the effects of Shiro’s death, but until they succeed, they will threaten any humans they encounter. "

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Warden

in Lore

Terry Bogard.6950

Hmm. Why didn’t the italic formatting work on my last post? I tried editing it and using underscores, but that didn’t work either. I don’t get it.

EDIT: It’s fixed! Thanks Xar!

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

There is a Sylvari you meet during one of the personal storylines of the Sylvari playable character that goes by the name of Malyk. He is a Sylvari that is from another tree and knows nothing of The Dream or The Nightmare Court, and to put it short, he’s a happy medium between the two, seeming to have an affinity for both good things and greyer things. Most importantly however, he disproves the theory that the Pale Tree was meant to be an elder dragon minion and was “freed” or “purified” by Ventari’s Tablet, because his tree has no tablet and is apparently not breeding dragon minions.

Thank you for pointing that out before I could.

Malyk disproves the whole “the Pale Tree was purified” idea, otherwise he would be a fanatic dragon minion.

And what does “us” refer to?

Sylvari? Tyrians? Sentient plants? Plants? All life as we know it? Non-natural (aka magical) entities? Beings tied to the Dream?

It’s a very vague line with no real meaning behind it alone. As far as we know, Scarlet’s after the ley lines – or intends to use the ley lines for her ultimate goal.

The “forces” – note the plural – that shape “us” could mean a lot of things. Magic, evolution, Tyria, the Elder Dragons on a whole, the gods (if the theory that Melandru made the sylvari holds true), the Mists.

Even if Mordremoth is the influencing entity, that doesn’t mean it is one of the forces that “shape us” – it just means that Mordremoth is somehow using the same thing that Scarlet looked into. If the theory that the Nightmare is caused by the Elder Dragon(s) holds true, then all it really definitively points out is that Mordremoth (or another Elder Dragon, such as Zhaitan given the origins of Faolain falling to Nightmare) holds some tie to the Dream of Dreams like the Pale Tree does – something unique to the Pale Tree compared to other sylvari (see: Malyck) by all indications but not something unique to the Pale Tree on a whole (see: White Stag).

The line is too vague to pull anything definitive until we know 1) what it was that Scarlet saw, and 2) what the entity is. Until we know both we don’t have a strong argument for anything because, even if we know just one, the possibilities are too great.

And even if we do learn both, the possibilities will still be great for what the Pale Tree meant.

I think it’s interesting that the Maguuma Jungle in GW1 had several dead giant trees. Some of which are surrounded by giant thorny dead brambles. Ventari made his refuge under one of them.

They weren’t dead. They’re called Stonewood trees, and though they lack leaves, the lore of the Maguuma Jungle would put them as having their roots burrow into the Maguuma’s water table.

Exceptionally large trees are NOT a unique thing in the GWverse. The Echovald Forest was full of them – practically every aged tree was roughly the size of the Pale Tree, if not bigger. There’s also the aforementioned Stonewood trees of the Maguuma, and then there’s some large trees known to centaurs as “Ancestor Trees” in Kourna.

Even then, the petrification was only 200 years prior to Factions, but the Echovald Forest was around for well over a thousand years long.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: hardy.7469

hardy.7469

Isn’t, in this games world, the mists the “force” that shapes everything?
The mists are the equivalent to in our world atoms right?

in Lore

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

Hmm. Why didn’t the italic formatting work on my last post? I tried editing it and using underscores, but that didn’t work either. I don’t get it.

After playing with your post it appears that the blank line in between paragraphs is breaking the italics. So the solution would be to either remove the blank line or to use the opening and closing italics brackets on each paragraph.

in Lore

Posted by: Dakota.4591

Dakota.4591

Thank you for pointing that out before I could.

Malyk disproves the whole “the Pale Tree was purified” idea, otherwise he would be a fanatic dragon minion.

Not necessarily. We don’t know for certain if Mordremoth is awake or not. So it could be that Malyk would go fanatic dragon minion as soon as Mordy wakes up and exerts control.

Or it could be that Malyk is already a fanatic dragon minion, and just biding his time for the right moment. In one of the Pact storylines there’s a risen mesmer who takes the form of a pact soldier for several missions. So if a risen can go undercover without moaning “Return to Orr” every five minutes and give itself away, a blighted human (aka sylvari) could certainly keep it under wraps to infiltrate and investigate this rogue blighted (purified blighted human) faction.

in Lore

SirMoogie.9263

Not necessarily. We don’t know for certain if Mordremoth is awake or not. So it could be that Malyk would go fanatic dragon minion as soon as Mordy wakes up and exerts control.

As far as we know Zhaitan is defeated, and yet the Risen still act as his minions. The Great Destroyer and Primordius’ minion were active while he stirred in his slumber (but didn’t yet awake). From what we know the Elder Dragons do not need to be awake/conscious or seemingly alive even for their minions to act.

Or it could be that Malyk is already a fanatic dragon minion, and just biding his time for the right moment. In one of the Pact storylines there’s a risen mesmer who takes the form of a pact soldier for several missions. So if a risen can go undercover without moaning “Return to Orr” every five minutes and give itself away, a blighted human (aka sylvari) could certainly keep it under wraps to infiltrate and investigate this rogue blighted (purified blighted human) faction.

If we are going to bring intricate mesmer illusions into the discussion it could be that Malyck is a trickster Asura playing a big prank on Caithe. We need more than possibilities to take a hypothesis seriously, there has to be some reason to suspect Malyck is a mesmer in disguise or putting on an elaborate ruse. What in game evidence or Arena Net statements on the matter lead you to believe he is creating an intricate ruse?

Keep in mind what is the whole point of the matter for Malyck to even feign ignorance of the Dream or Nightmare? Request the player’s help in saving the wardens that helped him? Volunteer to find out information about his origins from a master seer who can read the Dream? Kill the Knight of Embers? Leave to find his tree and get help in fighting the dragon minions? Why was the Knight of Embers given a Dark Hunt to find Malyck and turn him to Nightmare? Was the Nightmare Court just part of this elaborate ruse? What was gained for Mordremoth in this elaborate ruse?

(edited by SirMoogie.9263)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Awake or asleep, the mentality of dragon minions don’t change.

Glint continued fanatically protecting Kralkatorrik while he slept until she was influenced by the ritual and became sympathetic because of her mind reading ability. Drakkar remained loyal to Jormag while he slept. The Great Destroyer as well. Even with their Elder Dragon dead/defeated, they remain fanatical to it (see Zhaitan and Arah explorable).

Malyck playing a “sleeper agent” role makes little sense. He shows he doesn’t know his origins, and then leaves to find his tree. If he was a sleeper agent, he would have remained with the Pale Tree to attempt sabotage. And as Moogie mentioned, most of his actions would make no sense if he was akin to Labwan the Deceiver – the entire time, Labwan is setting out to dishonor and kill the Pact members. She not once tries to save Pact members (Malyck goes out of his way to rescue and avenge Wardens who helped him).

If he’s a sleeper agent, he doesn’t know it. And as all evidence of dragon minions show, they all know whom their dragon is.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

Just to play devil’s advocate:

If the Sylvari are Mordy’s minions, we still don’t know about the state of the corruption of the other trees. Perhaps the Pale Tree isn’t the only one to become free from the dragon, though the Dream might be unique to it. Perhaps the other trees have their own levels of resistance, we really don’t know.

Perhaps Malyck was under Mordy’s influence and somehow coming within proximity of the Pale Tree freed him of this, which had the result of him losing his memory. The fact that he has no memory is very suspicious to me, along with three other factors:

1) The Harbinger. Why does the Nightmare Court call him this? Harbringer of what? The victory of the Nightmare Court? Or Mordremoth?

2) The Dark Hunt. Sylvari are given their Wyld Hunt by the Pale Tree through the Dream. Nightmare Court are given their Dark Hunt through the Nightmare by…who? Who, if not Mordremoth?

3) “What Ronan knew and never told still lingers in the Dream.” What does this mean? Does it mean that Ronan knew something about the truth of the seeds, and that truth lies in the dream? Could this be related to Omadd’s device, and how Scarlet didn’t take anything in there that wasn’t already with her?

Again, just playing devil’s advocate. I’m not convinced the sylvari are Mordy’s minions. They could be a parting gift from the gods (they do have human forms,) particularly Melandru. But if they were, I don’t imagine Anet would have any trouble explaining it within the current lore.

in Lore

SirMoogie.9263

Perhaps Malyck was under Mordy’s influence and somehow coming within proximity of the Pale Tree freed him of this, which had the result of him losing his memory.

Except you find the pod he awoke from. Why bother planting the pod at all. The pod is more consistent with the theory of Malyck being a Sylvari uninformed by the Dream just waking up and having no idea where they are than one where Malyck was a fully cognizant dragon minion who brought his pod with him to the area of our Pale Tree and then became uncorrupted.

The fact that he has no memory is very suspicious to me,

Since the Sylvari we play as have their memories and goals provided for them by the Dream, we would expect those without these things to awaken in a state without memories.

1) The Harbinger. Why does the Nightmare Court call him this? Harbringer of what? The victory of the Nightmare Court? Or Mordremoth?

It could merely be referring to the knowledge he’d bring to the nightmare court. Figuring out the Dream or Nightmare is a bit like understanding a prophecy. It’s vague and metaphor is used heavily. For Nightmare, he could be a harbinger of a new age where they find more, easier to corrupt tress. Either way it’s too vague.

2) The Dark Hunt. Sylvari are given their Wyld Hunt by the Pale Tree through the Dream. Nightmare Court are given their Dark Hunt through the Nightmare by…who? Who, if not Mordremoth?

It’s not clear the Pale Tree is what gives Sylvari their Wyld Hunt, rather it seems they witness events from the Dream and then The Pale Tree and other Sylvari may help them interpret it. She’s connected to it, but not its progenitor or custodian. Both the source of the Dream and Nightmare remain a mystery.

3) “What Ronan knew and never told still lingers in the Dream.” What does this mean? Does it mean that Ronan knew something about the truth of the seeds, and that truth lies in the dream? Could this be related to Omadd’s device, and how Scarlet didn’t take anything in there that wasn’t already with her?

There is nothing I’m aware of to connect Ronan to Omadd’s device.

But if they were, I don’t imagine Anet would have any trouble explaining it within the current lore.

Anything is possible, but it seems to be an unlikely hypothesis because it requires inventing multiple assumptions to get around inconvenient evidence that contradicts the theory.

in Lore

Kalarchis.8635

Ah, you’re right about the pod and his memories. But that doesn’t rule out my theory. He still might have been a dragon minion…had his pod opened away from the Pale Tree. Perhaps the fact that he awoke within proximity of the Pale Tree freed him, but the fact that he’s not of the Pale Tree means no connection to the Dream. Just a thought.

Also, I’m not saying there’s a connection between Ronan and Omadd’s device. What I mean is, perhaps Ronan knew some measure of the truth about the seeds. That truth exists in the Dream, and thus within the sylvari, thus Scarlet took that truth into Omadd’s device with her. That truth being Mordy in this theory.

Also, most of the “inconvenient evidence” seems to be related to the fact that:

1) Dragon minions are fanatical and non-intelligent for the most part, and
2) Sylvari are immune to corruption.

However, all we know is that our Sylvari are immune to corruption. We really don’t know if the rest of them are, particularly if my theory on Malyck is correct. I really don’t think them being dragon minions is as far fetched (or difficult to explain lore-wise) and many here have made it out to be.

(edited by Kalarchis.8635)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Perhaps Malyck was under Mordy’s influence and somehow coming within proximity of the Pale Tree freed him of this, which had the result of him losing his memory. The fact that he has no memory is very suspicious to me, along with three other factors:

You have multiple issues with each paragraph.

1. If you did Caithe’s path, you’d realize that Malyck did not ever lose his memories. If you pay attention to the dialogue throughout, you’ll note that the player character assumes that he lost his memory because he didn’t know of the Grove, Pale Tree, or Dream of Dreams. Your own character’s assumption gets debunked when Malyck goes “this is where I met some skritt. And this is where I first woke up. Back here, however, is my pod.” Combine it with Trahearne’s path which says he had no Dream (or a different Dream experience)… and you get “Malyck didn’t have amnesia”.
  2. This is explained. He’s called the Harbinger because his very existence – or rather, the fact he is proof that other trees exist – is a herald/harbinger/message/whatever-you-want-to-call-it that the Nightmare Court doesn’t need to corrupt the Pale Tree. He is the harbinger of the Nightmare Court’s destiny – metaphorically, in that he is proof that they don’t need to twist the Pale Tree to spread the Nightmare to the sylvari race.
  3. Actually, the Pale Tree doesn’t give Wyld Hunts. She is nothing more than a caretaker of the Dream, she does not control anything of it – which includes the Wyld Hunts. That is why she acts without absolute certainty of what the Wyld Hunts the PC gets (the Shadow of the Dragon) is.
  4. It refers to the cave’s location – or that’s what I get, in the context of the whole saying. No one knows where the cave is, he didn’t tell that to anyone, and no one has been able to find the cave since.
Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Perhaps the fact that he awoke within proximity of the Pale Tree freed him, but the fact that he’s not of the Pale Tree means no connection to the Dream.

Why? Why would proximity to the Pale Tree “free” him? There’s no reason to believe this, as there’s really no evidence to support such happening.

However, all we know is that our Sylvari are immune to corruption. We really don’t know if the rest of them are, particularly if my theory on Malyck is correct. I really don’t think them being dragon minions is as far fetched (or difficult to explain lore-wise) and many here have made it out to be.

I don’t think that our sylvari being immune but others not would hold any kind of evidence or support to the “sylvari = dragon minion” theory.

On a side… MASSIVE SPOILERS TO THE UPCOMING UPDATES AND SCARLET’S FINALE! OPEN AT YOUR OWN RISK, REPLY AT YOUR OWN RISK (you’ll see under edit tag in quoting), AND RESPOND TO IT ONLY IN SPOILER TAGS

“What do you know about this ‘Mordremoth’?”

“I know that he is somehow linked to the jungle.”

“We’re all in great danger, now that he’s awakened.”

“And his corruption may spread.”

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1x80zv/major_spoilers_living_storys_end_dialogue/

The dialogue here, showing that Mordremoth will wake up at the end of LW Season 1, states that his influence is already present – known and dangerous (if it weren’t dangerous, it wouldn’t be “corruption”). This would mean that Malyck’s tree wouldn’t be such, since it’s a largely unknown fact to figures in-game. Similarly, it couldn’t be sylvari in general.

I’m guessing it’s the Blighted seen in Wychmire Swamp. Closest to sylvari being dragon minions you’ll get is likely the Nightmare being his influence.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Kalarchis.8635

shrug Like I said, just playing devil’s advocate. And the other sylvari not being immune to corruption doesn’t = dragon minions, you’re correct. However, it would be a point against the argument of why they’re not dragon minions. One of the main reasons I’ve seen you particularly submit that they’re not minions is that they’re immune to corruption. If we find out that some of them aren’t immune, then that reason wouldn’t hold up anymore.

All they really say is that they consider him dangerous (and I would too, even if I knew nothing about him, simply by the fact that he’s an elder dragon.) Where are you seeing the “known and dangerous” part and how does it rule out Malyck’s tree? Just because they know of some of the influence of Mordy doesn’t mean they know of all. The fact that they don’t know about Malyck’s tree really has nothing to do with whether or not it’s a dragon minion.

Though to be fair, if Sylvari were dragon minions, I’d assume there’d be a line about it in that bit of dialogue.

Time will tell I suppose.

in Lore

SirMoogie.9263

And the stuff we raised in this thread about Malyck. It’s not like these are trifling pieces of evidence. You can tell a hypothesis is in need of rescue by the number of assumptions it needs to invent over competing hypotheses . That Malyck is really an uncorrupted Sylvari from another tree that was recently awoken from a pod that drifted downstream from its original tree is much more concise theory than Malyck is a corrupted Sylvari, something we’ve never seen, sent by Mordremoth for mysterious reasons, another assumption that has a lot of burden. His pod was opened close to the Pale Tree and he was uncorrupted, something that’s never been seen in dragon minions.

In terms of likelihood the previous theory has less assumption burden. Of course nearly any theory can be rescued by adding additional assumptions. I can construct an elaborate tale that makes it so Queen Jennah is really Commissar Molenin. It doesn’t mean it’s likely.

I really don’t think them being dragon minions is as far fetched (or difficult to explain lore-wise) and many here have made it out to be.

It is not difficult for Arena Net to introduce any of the information required to make this theory true, as this is a story and they have full control of the lore. That doesn’t change the fact it is an unlikely hypothesis. Likelihood for a hypothesis is based on the evidence you do have, not the evidence you would like to have.