Are the thieves UP in this meta ?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Renegade.6240

Renegade.6240

Saw much people talking about theives were useless in this meta, got curious and opened that thread

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Yes we are. Only those who are not experienced get painfully wrecked, against the good ones than you need tactic to beat them.

How to know to know if your opponent is good? Analyze his reaction when you stealth or keep evading.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Black Teagan.9215

Black Teagan.9215

The thief is UP in nearly every point, bcause it is a very broken and bad designed class, which never get a(n useful) buff, only nerfs.

This is so, because the thief is created around two overpowered and bad designed mechanic like stealth and the combination of ini + the evade effects on the weaponskills. (Ini is fine)
But if you know how to counter this two things, and believe me this is not difficult, then you counter the whole class, especially because nearly every skill or trait which they have is weak, useless or harm the thief.
You should go into PvE. This is the best part of this game, where you can see how UP and dead they are.

Caleb Ferendir
-Charr Thief-
It’s good to be bad!

(edited by Black Teagan.9215)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Renny.6571

Renny.6571

wat

elite specs ruined pvp.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: MarauderShields.6830

MarauderShields.6830

I wrote this in other threads but yes, thieves lack anything worthwile in current GW2. Power Necro’s DS auto does more DPS, let alone Triple Meditation Guard (which I started to play just now, so I keep using her as an example ) and have way more tricks up their sleeves.
So while the thief was definitely too strong at launch, the QQ-driven nerfs made it severely underpowered now, leading to a migration of many players to other professions. However, this works like a natural selection for thieves, meaning with every nerf-bat fewer people were good enough to be competitive (or were willing to play a troll build) with the class. So while the population of thieves shrinked, the ones that stayed were better or trolled more. Hence, even today some D/D-thieves are so good that they can down a terrormancer, condibomb-engi etc., which again leads to more threads like “teef op, cannot beat the class on my OP condi build”, in turn leading to more nerfs and more people deserting the class.
Again, I wrote this in another thread, but have you noticed how the “Teef-hate meta” (I hope this term sticks) has shifted away from complaints about the class doing to much DPS and towards “teef to agile, can run away before I snuff him out”? That shows that the class has nothing much left except being a treasure goblin: a lootbag that is hard to catch.

Former running-really-fast-man. Now proud member of Revenant clan.

(edited by MarauderShields.6830)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Rallad.3802

Rallad.3802

Not in spvp.
/15chars

in Profession Balance

Posted by: SephiSlash.6780

SephiSlash.6780

Am I in some kind of bizzaro world?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

I love how the teef phrase took off

in Profession Balance

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

Thief is fine. If you’re having issues, practice more.

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

Yes, thieves have no survivability, no boons, no support, and damage was nerfed to the point that you can’t even kill a full glass ele. All the thief QQ got them nerfed to the point that they are just free kills now, which is what all the no-skill players wanted, so I guess grats to them. Not surprising that all the good PvP teams don’t run any thieves in their group, all hail the op necros/wars/eles.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Yes, thieves have no survivability, no boons, no support, and damage was nerfed to the point that you can’t even kill a full glass ele. All the thief QQ got them nerfed to the point that they are just free kills now, which is what all the no-skill players wanted, so I guess grats to them. Not surprising that all the good PvP teams don’t run any thieves in their group, all hail the op necros/wars/eles.

Are you joking?

• No survivability ? stealth, perma blind, tons of evade, best stunlock.
  • No boon ? You’re doing it wrong I guess. There are plenty of way to be full of boon with thieves.
  • No support ? stealth is already support but you also can give to your party almost perma swiftness, vigor, fury and spammable blast. Not to mention Venoms…
  • Damage nerfed ? Thieves probably have one of the best attack speed in game and best burst skills.

NB.: You forgot guards in your “good PvP teams” thing. I think most of the TPvP team don’t run thieves because they are seen as a rather selfish class due to min-max theory crafting guys that just see solo purpose and max damage. So yeah, a selfish build for a thief lead to high damage (you can still almost one shoot zerk creeps) for laughable survivability and 0 usefulness partywise. Just try to build for something else then damage.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Profession Balance

MarauderShields.6830

snip

You should maybe try to participate in this discussion constructively by presenting your opinion backed up with facts.
False claims of what the class can do and thinly veiled hatred toward it doesn’t really help.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Thieves have ever been, are and will be meta for PvP. It’s second class after bunker guard which remains here since beta.

Currently, there’s always place for one or two thieves in Pvp team. S/D can be incredibly powerful because of boonstrip and double proc sigils with tons of mobility, evades and other whack stuff. Not UP, for sure.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Profession Balance

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

snip

You should maybe try to participate in this discussion constructively by presenting your opinion backed up with facts.
False claims of what the class can do and thinly veiled hatred toward it doesn’t really help.

Speaking of lacking facts. Are you suggesting the facts her offered are inaccurate?

Are you suggesting that thieves cannot use their access to stealth, perma blind, tons of evade, heavy stun lock for survivability? He listed these as his facts

Are you suggesting they have zero access to boon or that they cannot steal and strip them? Because those are the facts I see stated.

Are you suggesting they cannot exploit their initiative mechanic for some massive burst damage, because that is the fact he listed to support the damage aspect.

How do you expect to be taken seriously when you claim someone who is using provable and commonly known facts, is making false claims?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Kiriakulos.1690

Kiriakulos.1690

Saw much people talking about theives were useless in this meta, got curious and opened that thread

Yes, your entirely correct with the thread title!
So much so that you’ll find them as part of almost every high tier sPvP team and most people agree they are the most dreaded profession to meet without back up in WvW.
Oh wait, sorry misread the title.
My bad.

Attrition – A pretty name for taking longer than anyone else to kill something.

in Profession Balance

MarauderShields.6830

Speaking of lacking facts. Are you suggesting the facts her offered are inaccurate?

Are you suggesting that thieves cannot use their access to stealth, perma blind, tons of evade, heavy stun lock for survivability? He listed these as his facts

Are you suggesting they have zero access to boon or that they cannot steal and strip them? Because those are the facts I see stated.

Are you suggesting they cannot exploit their initiative mechanic for some massive burst damage, because that is the fact he listed to support the damage aspect.

How do you expect to be taken seriously when you claim someone who is using provable and commonly known facts, is making false claims?

Yes, I indeed say that his “facts” are inaccurate. While stealth is definitely used as a defensive mechanism (and hence the community’s cry for nerf is bullkitten), there is no such thing as “perma-blind” unless you stand in the black powder smoke field. Blind-using builds also lack any “evade-spamming”, which probably adresses the 1/2 second of Flanking Strike.
Now for stunlocking, that made me think we talk about Warriors because that is something the thief simply cannot do.
There is also only a single build that can boonstrip – and steals one stack. Boon access built in the class? Nope.

Do you mean “using” initiative by “exploiting” it? The highest burst a thief can do is Basilisk Venom, then precast CnD, steal and backstab and going full glass – which can be countered totally by a single dodge. Or invulnerability, block, stasis aura, mist form, blind…
After that you need like 3 autoattacks to
down him. It is a troll build that nobody uses because it works only on total newbies. As I said, if you go full zerker and invest only mildly in survival, a typical backsab will deal 7K damage – on a long setup. It will deal less damage than a walled Whirlwind Attack (which has 3/4 sec evade, such evade spam).

Well, that is my take on the thief, a class I played and battled since launch. If your expertise surpasses mine, please tell me about the permablind build and especially the stunlock build. No, tell it to the countless thieves I wrecked in the last week on my Triple Meditation Guard, they surely need it.

(edited by MarauderShields.6830)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

lol @ this thread. do you live under a rock? thief is at the top of the meta…

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Renegade.6240

Renegade.6240

Yes, I indeed say that his “facts” are inaccurate. While stealth is definitely used as a defensive mechanism (and hence the community’s cry for nerf is bullkitten), there is no such thing as “perma-blind” unless you stand in the black powder smoke field. Blind-using builds also lack any “evade-spamming”, which probably adresses the 1/2 second of Flanking Strike.
Now for stunlocking, that made me think we talk about Warriors because that is something the thief simply cannot do.
There is also only a single build that can boonstrip – and steals one stack. Boon access built in the class? Nope.

Do you mean “using” initiative by “exploiting” it? The highest burst a thief can do is Basilisk Venom, then precast CnD, steal and backstab and going full glass – which can be countered totally by a single dodge. Or invulnerability, block, stasis aura, mist form, blind…
After that you need like 3 autoattacks to
down him. It is a troll build that nobody uses because it works only on total newbies. As I said, if you go full zerker and invest only mildly in survival, a typical backsab will deal 7K damage – on a long setup. It will deal less damage than a walled Whirlwind Attack (which has 3/4 sec evade, such evade spam).

Well, that is my take on the thief, a class I played and battled since launch. If your expertise surpasses mine, please tell me about the permablind build and especially the stunlock build. No, tell it to the countless thieves I wrecked in the last week on my Triple Meditation Guard, they surely need it.

this.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

How do I say this.
If you wanna boon you gotta trait for boons.
If you wanna damage you trait for damage
if you wanna evade you trait for evade
if you wanna survivability you trait for survivability.

I listed some fact. Thieve are the best when it come to blind. we’ve got trait to gain tons of boons. we’ve got support via venoms and steal. you can close your eyes and say that i’m wrong but thieves have all of these.
Stun, blind and evade spam : S/P → pistol whip.

Your problem is that you don’t want to sacrifice anything to gain survivability. Come on thieves ain’t warriors.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

Underpowered … hahahaha… oh good one.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: TrOtskY.5927

TrOtskY.5927

this thread is making me want to cry, so many people who don’t have a clue.

2 0 0 6 6 S/D teef is ridiculously strong, has access to the best skill in the game (fully traited trickey steal is just…..well it needs a nerf in some way thats all I’m gonna say) and has crazy damage and survivability in comparisons to it’s d/p counterpart.

And grats the guy who plays meditation guard who wrecks thieves above. You are playing a hard counter to thieves that is basically useless outside of this function. GG.

D/P, D/D, P/D and P/P all need a bit of love, but currently the meta S/D is very very strong.