Gap closers vs. Ranged attacks

in Profession Balance

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Do you think its balanced?

IMO too many gap closers and the range on them are too long. This makes ranged attacks in this game unappealing.

Discuss~

in Profession Balance

Posted by: MatthijsB.4731

MatthijsB.4731

Personally I like the quick moving around.
Maybe it is an idea to give ranged weapons more gap creators.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

disagree that range attacks are unappealing as many people use range weapons.

Staffs, scepters, focus, bows, rifles, pistols, these are all ranged options and are popular.

The range weapon usually as it should becomes less effective when melee is in your face and then you become pressured. I don’t want everyone running around pew pew 1 spamming like rangers personally that would be lame imo.

The range weapons are used alot so I don’t see where you get the conclusion that ranged attacks are unappealing.

Mesmers’s use GS and Staffs and Pistols and Scepters
Engis use pistols, E-guns and rifles
Warriors are using bows, not so much rifles
Necros are using staffs and scepters and focus
Guards are using staffs, scepters, and focus
Thieves are using bows, and pistol
Rangers are using bows and bows

If your argument is 1 spam then I guess but I would disagree with that too. Everyone shouldn’t have a awesome 1 spam auto at 900+ range. Range many times = free damage on melee or the use of important cooldowns if you can apply enough pressure before melee gets to you. That is the advantage of range and it’s a pretty big one.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Range attacks would be unappealing if all of them had a range penalty for being used in melee range. That’s not the case.

Having plenty of gap closers means that you’re never forced to using a ranged weapon. If there were no gap closers, a ranged attacker could just kite any melee player forever, resulting in everyone carrying a ranged weapon in some form at all times. And since skills are tied to weapons, that would mean that everyone would be fighting with a very limited subset of skills, creating boring and repetitive combat.

(edited by Olba.5376)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Stogzlol.4795

Stogzlol.4795

Staffs, scepters, focus, bows, rifles, pistols, these are all ranged options and are popular.

The range weapon usually as it should becomes less effective when melee is in your face and then you become pressured. I don’t want everyone running around pew pew 1 spamming like rangers personally that would be lame imo.

The range weapons are used alot so I don’t see where you get the conclusion that ranged attacks are unappealing.

If your argument is 1 spam then I guess but I would disagree with that too. Everyone shouldn’t have a awesome 1 spam auto at 900+ range. Range many times = free damage on melee or the use of important cooldowns if you can apply enough pressure before melee gets to you. That is the advantage of range and it’s a pretty big one.

I like how you leave out Elementalist. Because it’s the one class that is truly suffering from the absurd amount of gap closers in the game.

You can’t combat gap closers with gap creators because then it becomes a mobility issue. Anet seriously needs to tone down the amount of gab closers and leaping attacks because it’s gotten unreasonable.

O well, bigger and better games over the horizon.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

I like how you leave out Elementalist. Because it’s the one class that is truly suffering from the absurd amount of gap closers in the game.

You can’t combat gap closers with gap creators because then it becomes a mobility issue. Anet seriously needs to tone down the amount of gab closers and leaping attacks because it’s gotten unreasonable.

O well, bigger and better games over the horizon.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Category:Game_mechanics (good reading in here to avoid people making things up)

Warrior greatsword skill

(Leap Skill) Rush – Charge and strike your foe

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gap_closer

A gap closer is a mechanic related to control and refers to any skill or effect that decreases the distance between the player and the target. Leaps, teleports, and shadow steps are skill mechanics that can be considered gap closers.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kiting#Controlling_movement

Kiting allows your character to avoid damage dealt by the enemy while forcing them to chase you, allowing your allies to survive and deal damage and perform other combat roles much more freely.

Leap

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Leap

Snip – “Leap skills are used for positioning and thus control in battle.”
Snip – “leap skills can move the player out of the range of an attack similar to dodging”

I don’t understand how gap closers are a problem when you should know the melee character is going to try to get next to you anyway. I dont know what your running maybe staff ele instead of putting the static field on the target you could put it on yourself, same as lava font. That is turning your ranged aoe into area denial and kiting around it. Not a hard concept if your running d/d then your basically melee anyway.

This is just me personally I main elementalist but I have other classes and against melee classes alot of time it is better to put the aoe where you think the melee character will be which is on yourself.

You have a necro? If you do go out find a melee put marks on your feet range with scepter and pressure easy. Most times the melee will eat the marks trying to get to you. Playing staff ele fields on yourself many times is better then trying to hit them they are coming to you anyway cause they are melee.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

(edited by oZii.2864)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

Too many gap closers are abused for mobility/kiting purposes. Also some ranged specs/classes do not have nearly enough kiting/gap creation options (Ranger mainly and ironically has some of the worst when compared to other classes).

in Profession Balance

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Great discussion guys. In terms of (staying out of range/staying within range) any (class/weapons) you think are (overpowered/underpowered)? Why?