Ideas of engineer skill reworks

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Turrets: Remove the cooldown on deploying a turret if they have been picked up.

Reasons: Turrets are static, fights are not. You will have to move around the map during a fight. Just like you can swap kits whithout a delay you should also be able to redeploy turrets without one. The cd removal should not aply to the charge ability of the turrets, nor the healing turret.
Put an internal cd on fortified/ experimental turret traits, and make the turret spawn with the amount of Health it had when picked up.
——

Flame Jet (Flamethrower #1): Either reduce the amount of attacks or remove the direct dmg.

Reasons: This is from a WvW perspective, and it’s mostly in WvW where this is a problem. The problem is that blasting attacks on a retaliated target 10x reflects a lot of damage back to you. Blast 10x an attack on 3 retaliated targets and deal even more damage back to you.
The damage reflected is often more than you can sustain while also taking damage from other sources, say, in a raid vs raid fight situation. You will make yourself have to retreat from the fight due to retaliation.
——

Rocket Turret Tool Belt skill “Rocket”: Make the rocket fly either faster or on a straight line towards the target location.

Reasons: The rocket flies way too slowly and way too high, it’s without doubt the easiest skill to dodge in this game.
—-

Rocket Turret Overcharged Skill “Explosive Rockets”: Make the rocket fly in a straight line towards its target.

Reasons: Much like the toolbelt skill. this skill is very slow too and is therefore very, very easy to dodge.

Edited

Mortar (elite Skill): Make the mortar Shells able to critical hit.

Reason: The mortar right now is very underused, which is very sad because I love everything about it.
It’s very usefull for tower defense but not much else, and its mostly used for tagging to get loots rather than anything usefull. So i thought that if the Shells where to critical hit, the mortar would put alot more pressure.
Also adjust the damage done accordingly.
It is stationary and dies to aoe rather quickly, so one wants to be as efficient as possible Before it goes on cooldown.

Turrets: Make the turrets critical hit.

Reason: I don’t know if the turrets are unable to crit for the same reason they aren’t affected by regen or protection or any other buffs. However, I think they would be a little better if they could crit and shared the same crit chance as the engineer.
The current damage output of the turrets is pretty low, partly because the AI hits other stuff instead of what the engineer him/herself wants to focus, and partly because the turrets has quite low damage output in general.

(edited by Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

Addendum for the suggested Turret rework: Include a timer, counting down from the moment of first placement, to when a Turret’s health would be reset entirely if it were picked up.
Timer’s value should be derived from the Turret’s cooldown – Rifle Turret would count 20 seconds, Thumper would count 50.
Make timer visible on UI in the same fashion as an Elementalist’s Attunement, perhaps as a small portrait of the turret with a cooldown-style effect on it.

Why:
Provides counterplay (keep the Engineer from picking up their Turrets, by any means, to keep them from being able to just ‘refresh’ them at X point; essentially, force them to eat a cooldown if they don’t pick them up quickly).
Answers “But how much health will [Turret] have if I pick it up during a fight and then don’t place it for [amount of time]?”

in Profession Balance

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

That’s a really nice idea to be honest!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

I play Engi only but I also play sPvP only. AI should not take a big part in sPvP so I would be happy if they remove the turrets from the game.

But anyway they will stay but I would like to see that the turrets are useful to remove condtions. If you play a 3 turret build you have no condition removal beside the healing turret. It would be nice if the turrets remove condis if you overcharge them

in Profession Balance

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Boon ripping turrets, that’s a very nice idea. As you say engineers lack some condi cleanse, especially with three turrets.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

Redeploying turrets as you describe it sounds nice, but I think it might work better as a trait, instead of a basic feature.

Right now, a good engi with the right turret build can hold a point pretty much indefinitely against just about any one attacker, and can last pretty long against two, as long as a staff ele or a condi-focused build doesn’t show up. Giving that sort of build the mobility to chase other players down without exposing themselves might be a little too good, unless they have to give up something else in the trait tree to do so.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

I agree the engineer needs a way of re-deploying turrets quicker than now or else the whole interesting turret mechanic will remain limited to this single scenario.
It’s quite acceptable if specific builds are useless outside their specific niche, but in this case it’s an entire class feature. What a waste.
Also, this faster re-deployment needs to come with a price, ofc, to keep it balanced. We’re not asking to become a second warrior class, after all.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Redeploying turrets as you describe it sounds nice, but I think it might work better as a trait, instead of a basic feature.

Right now, a good engi with the right turret build can hold a point pretty much indefinitely against just about any one attacker, and can last pretty long against two, as long as a staff ele or a condi-focused build doesn’t show up. Giving that sort of build the mobility to chase other players down without exposing themselves might be a little too good, unless they have to give up something else in the trait tree to do so.

And this is why engineers can’t have nice things. The whole profession is so tuned for SPVP it is sickening.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

rocket does about as much damage as kill shot in an aoe, it needs to be telegraphed and easily dodgeable

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Profession Balance

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

And this is why engineers can’t have nice things. The whole profession is so tuned for SPVP it is sickening.

I agree. Me and my guild enjoy some good pvp time, but we enjoy the other areas of the game just as much. Probably more where wvw is concerned. The problem is that they push Esports on the community, instead of having allowed Esports to have developed organically, thus punishing the other aspects of the game. They need to get over the self made inhibitors they created for themselves and balance pvp 100% separately, and commit to that rather then only giving it partial effort

in Profession Balance

Foefaller.1082

I’m sorry if I came off as an sPvP snob, that wasn’t my intention. Though I’m somewhat amused that just because the last big patch has been given them one really good bunker build, Engineers are suddenly “tuned for SPVP” after more than a year of being declared “mediocre at almost everything” with necros and rangers (not that it’s something I ever agreed with).

Anyway, now that I think about it, it wouldn’t be too bad, so long as redeploying had it’s own cooldown, one that started every time the turret is redeployed so you can’t simply chase people willy-nilly across the map with your 2-3 turrets; I think the fact that it leaves you kinda rooted in one spot is a balancing point for turrets, even in PvE; The ease that a turret Engi can hold against waves of (non-AoE-happy) mobs is almost too great for them to be able to deploy at any moment with no regards to how long it’s since the last time they were used.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

rocket does about as much damage as kill shot in an aoe, it needs to be telegraphed and easily dodgeable

Either you’re wrong or the wiki needs an update.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kill_Shot
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rocket

The damage of kill shot is noticeably higher at level one, and more than double of the rocket at the third level. And the rocket is more dodgeable, anyway. Assuming it doesn’t destroy itself by colliding with the eventual ceiling.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

I’m sorry if I came off as an sPvP snob, that wasn’t my intention. Though I’m somewhat amused that just because the last big patch has been given them one really good bunker build, Engineers are suddenly “tuned for SPVP” after more than a year of being declared “mediocre at almost everything” with necros and rangers (not that it’s something I ever agreed with).

Anyway, now that I think about it, it wouldn’t be too bad, so long as redeploying had it’s own cooldown, one that started every time the turret is redeployed so you can’t simply chase people willy-nilly across the map with your 2-3 turrets; I think the fact that it leaves you kinda rooted in one spot is a balancing point for turrets, even in PvE; The ease that a turret Engi can hold against waves of (non-AoE-happy) mobs is almost too great for them to be able to deploy at any moment with no regards to how long it’s since the last time they were used.

I wish that was my experience. For turrets either do crap all or gets aggro trained in no time if there is more than one mob about, AOE spammy or not.

in Profession Balance

Foefaller.1082

I wish that was my experience. For turrets either do crap all or gets aggro trained in no time if there is more than one mob about, AOE spammy or not.

Well, at least in my experience, my ability to take on more mobs than normal has less to do with their killing potential, and more with the CC I get from many of the overcharges and the distraction they often provide. AI still needs some work (they say turrets now target your current target as long as it’s in range, but I swear I’ve seen evidence to the contrary as recent as last night) before it can become an actual boost to dps and lowering the time it takes to kill when there is more than one baddie in range, but with the right traits and skills, you can certainly last longer and survive against more enemies, even in PvE.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ezeriel.9574

Ezeriel.9574

+1 to most of what the OP said….

I like the flame thrower, but it does 10% more damage to burning targets, but it’s burn is on the last hit of Flame Jet, and it only lasts for one tick.

…and the fire field that we get with the flamethrower is one of the straight line ones, that even a stationary target tends to walk off of.

So is it any wonder that the players consider the flame thrower a CC weapon, and not a damage one? And it only has one knock back, so it’s not much of a CC weapon either.

…I think of it like it’s a guards staff, but without the support, lower damage, smaller range, less targets hit, and a higher suicide success rate (retaliation)

;-(

….but just to emphasize how bad engineers are. My server, FA, has a weekly WvW theme event done by one of the larger guilds. We’ve had mesmer night, ele night, asura night, stuff like that…. It’s very popular, and usually insanely fun.

This last Sunday was engineer night.

…and no one showed up.

The only way to play the engineer is to exploit it.
Playing the engineer “as intended” is simply not viable.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Either you’re wrong or the wiki needs an update.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kill_Shot
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rocket

The damage of kill shot is noticeably higher at level one, and more than double of the rocket at the third level. And the rocket is more dodgeable, anyway. Assuming it doesn’t destroy itself by colliding with the eventual ceiling.

wiki is wrong, base damage is the same as level 1 and it benefits from explosive powder

anet buffed it a couple patches back, maybe december?

you can catch defenders on walls unaware occasionally, something like grenade barrage + rocket will nuke just about anyone to downed

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Profession Balance

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Hi guys! It’s very interesting to read your thoughts of the current state of some of the engineer skills.

When it comes to the Rocket I myself have gone full berserker and grenade kit/rocket turret to burst people down.

In WvW the rocket crits for about7k on a lvl 80 medium armour class. Which is pretty nice, however, as I mentioned the flight path takes about 4 seconds. That’s alot of time in WvW and unless, as you mentioned, it’s a wal- defense scenario where the enemies are standing still, the rocket is easily spotted and easily dodged.

Standing right on the target while deploying the rocket still takes enough time for them to Dodge away.

I mostly used it in zerg fights, where I could hit multiple targets, but other than that it’s pretty hard to use.