[PvE][PvP] Make ALL Venoms become hexes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Blueskylightdragon.4876

Blueskylightdragon.4876

I simply tried venom in PvE and though,why they are so awful?
It just apply conditions just like the other class and even the weapon skills can do?

I think this is really bad. I honestly suggest your team should change there effect and make an alternative skill like these.

-All venom will have the same power (like devourer venom will make immobilize, For basilisk venom i suggest to change it into slow target’s action speed by 75 percent per hit and healing venom just add protection or stability per hit) but instead, make them become hexes so that it will be more unique and worth to wait for cooldown that long.

-The duration will be really really longer (plus with condition duration) but only have one hit (trait that increase a hit still apply).

-Venom duration will have 10 seconds. (And reduce base cooldown…MORE please.)

-Alternative effect : When venom is in effect even attacked, will have the venom serum skill that will remove any related conditions (just like when being hit by a snake,use snake serum.) <<<<<Just like number 2 shortbow skill. This skill affects venom share too.

So that’s all i can think of. Although i usually play venom share, I suggest you should make them become more effective in my opinion.

And hope Your team will response to this.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

So, you want venoms to be unstrippable?

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Profession Balance

Posted by: MrAmputatoes.6031

MrAmputatoes.6031

The only reason venoms are so weak is because of Venomous Aura. ANet deems that venom thieves are great team utility, and while they are, they need 60 trait points to do so. Venoms are tut, trash unless traited.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Venoms need to have a passive that inflicts conditions after certain number of attacks with an active that drops a short duration combo field at their feet. That way the thieves can use venoms as a form of group support and Arenanet can replace half of the venom traits with something that makes traps more attractive.

(edited by Zacchary.6183)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

It would set a bad precedent. As someone who adores Guild Wars 1, I have to say that hexes were by far the worst mechanic in the game. Sure, they helped Arenanet to add depth and complexity to the game’s debuff system, but this came at the cost of them being a major source of imbalance.

A hex was little more than a much more powerful (and often long duration), SLIGHTLY more difficult to apply condition that was hilariously difficult to remove. And I do mean hilariously. Hex removal options in GW1 were far too scarce, weak, and/or conditional for how effective and widespread hexes were in PvP – particularly in RA, TA, and GvG.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: MonMalthias.4763

MonMalthias.4763

I agree with Duke Blackrose’s assessment that the Hex mechanic in GW1 was a little too powerful with removals and mitigation being pretty much Monk exclusive. In GW2, there are no skills that I know of that can even deal with Hex type conditions at all, so the situation would be even worse.

I did like the depth that the conditional triggers Hexes brought, especially to Mesmer and Necromancer, but to emphasise the Hex mechanic even more than what little carries over into GW2 (like Quickening Zephyr, or Frenzy debuffs) when there exists no mechanic to counterplay them would be disastrous.

With regard to Thief Venoms, I believe that Spider and Ice Drake Venom should be consolidated, as individually they are pretty terrible at the moment, and the preponderance of Conditions in PvP means that single type condi applications have little to no place due to cleansing.

Venom traits themselves could do with some consolidation to allow for better traiting options – 60 points for a Venomous Aura Thief is hardly useful for anything else. But until more skills interact with the Hex mechanic, I don’t believe that making Venoms uncleansable conditions will make them any better besides from introducing new imbalance.

Iva Malthias – 80 Engineer
Marellune Malthias – 80 Elementalist
Devil’s Dominion [DD] – Yak’s Bend

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Venoms, when traited, are wonderful if you need mid-grade control, support, and damage all at the same time, while surrounded by allies and numerous foes. Not so great in every other situation.

A full venom build is only great in certain circumstances, and individual venom skills mixed into other builds feel underwhelming. What venoms need is some versatility:

1. Venom sharing needs to be automatic. The free version would be lesser, (fewer allies, fewer stacks, and/or smaller radius). The traited version would be as it is now, but would also give you a short-lived boon, (maybe Might), for every ally you share venoms with.
  2. Apply venoms specifically to the weapon(s) you are currently wielding. Swapping your weapon set also stashes the venom stacks aside for a while. This gives you some control on staggering out applications. The stacks would keep their timer running, so you can’t cycle around and build up extra.
  3. Replace the Might stacks you get from Venomous Strength with a boost to only condition damage. This won’t turn venoms into a damage build, but merely acknowledges that they tend to have more use for condition damage than power.
  4. I love the idea of spilling some venom on the ground, creating a combo field. This would be a fun second-cast ability: clicking on an activated venom that has unused stacks would remove the stacks and create a combo field at your feet.

This all could make venoms rather complicated, I know. But let me wish.

I should be writing.

in Profession Balance

MonMalthias.4763

If Venoms are indeed to be made more like Hexes then one way to do so is to give them more Conditional triggers just as they were in GW1

Looking through them, you’ll see that the GW1 system of Hexes introduced a lot of depth to Debuffs – from movement penalties (take damage while moving) to debuffing casters (take damage when you cast a spell, or lose energy). Venoms could also do the same thing.

For example, Ice Drake Venom could be a caster debuff, applying Chill, but also inflicting Daze if you strike your foe while they are channelling a skill . You cannot Daze your foe if the Chill is cleansed.

or

Skale Venom could grant extra stacks of Vulnerability the more your Opponent moves alongside the Torment doing condi damage. You cannot inflict more Vulnerability if the Torment is cleansed.

As it stands individual Venoms are pretty weak and not all that interesting either. Traited, they become just another condispam utility; though Devourer Venom and Basilisk Venom are nice by themselves.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ichishi.9613

Ichishi.9613

its the variety of the effects that made GW1 aswesome, no? A game where you could kill brainless people by letting them kill themselves. A perfect example of balance.

in Profession Balance

MonMalthias.4763

its the variety of the effects that made GW1 aswesome, no? A game where you could kill brainless people by letting them kill themselves. A perfect example of balance.

Yes, but then you’d get the unfortunate side effects like Blackout Mesmer (Which is just about as anti-fun on the receiving end as things can get). So it’s very much a fine line to tread.

In my view, putting nearly all the Hex mitigation onto the Monk was a huge mistake, but that’s kind of talking about the wrong game here.

in Profession Balance

Ichishi.9613

there was plenty hex removal on all of the classes. and blackout was awesome. I run it on my echo/blackout/glimmer mark/illusionary pain ele. That was really fun.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Blueskylightdragon.4876

Blueskylightdragon.4876

Ah ok then. Thanks for suggest everyone. Hope they will read this. A bit.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

I forget who originally suggested this idea, but why not simply swap Venoms to the F2-F4 keys? At least then, you could utilize them without needing to effectively gut yourself for arguably minor efficiency. While we’re at it, the system of venom charges and sharing could honestly do with a looksee and rework, in general. It shouldn’t take nigh-all of one’s Traits to somewhat improve one area of one’s abilities.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Arkantos.7460

Arkantos.7460

agree with the hex idea
letting venoms as they are working now with venomshare is a bit far of risk and reward, because you Need a grp everytime around you to Display them corretly.
Or venomshare should be removed from game to get higher buff on venoms to use them also in 1vs1.
Well the truth is , venoms are just a bit better then traps, but i would fit a scorpionwire instead of using venoms or traps.
I would also agree with the F2-F4 inverting to class skills, would be nice Little buff.

Good Thiefs are average,
Skilled Thiefs are dangerous

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

It would set a bad precedent. As someone who adores Guild Wars 1, I have to say that hexes were by far the worst mechanic in the game. Sure, they helped Arenanet to add depth and complexity to the game’s debuff system, but this came at the cost of them being a major source of imbalance.

A hex was little more than a much more powerful (and often long duration), SLIGHTLY more difficult to apply condition that was hilariously difficult to remove. And I do mean hilariously. Hex removal options in GW1 were far too scarce, weak, and/or conditional for how effective and widespread hexes were in PvP – particularly in RA, TA, and GvG.

While I agree with you that effective hex removal was difficult to come by, I considered spirit weapons, shouts, and the Paragon-specific buffs worse from a balance perspective, as there were no direct counters for those.

in Profession Balance

Ichishi.9613

venoms to f2-f4-fx was suggested first time during beta weekends and was suggested regularly ever since. I does not seems like it will be implemented.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Potato.7318

Potato.7318

What about traps? I dont think traps are great at all except possibly pvp. (talking about thief traps :P)

in Profession Balance

Ichishi.9613

Traps do not exists.
Just like venoms, they are just there to increase theoretical “possibilities” and “diversity”. Not the actual one.
And yes, traps were suggested for f2-f4-fx movement too. Though they are too bad even for that.