[PvE] Returning player: how are classes now?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Incarmine.1953

Incarmine.1953

I’m returning to GW2 after a very long absence. I want to ask how are all the classes in PvE? How easy or hard are they to level, how effective they are in general, or in group situations like dungeons, etc. I’m looking for an overview evaluation of the professions in pve. Thanks.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Leveling isnt that much different, but there are items that give a level or even boost a new character to lv20. So that helps.
What doesnt help is that getting traitpoints is slowed down dramatically, so thats a lot more boring. Even if all you get is some stats it feels like progression.

Also new trait tiers unlock much later, master at 60 and grand-master at 80. And you no longer get access to all traits baseline, but each individual trait has to be bought at a vendor now.

If anything id say the level experience for new players is much, much worst. More boring and with less roam to try out things.

At lv80, all PvE has changed little in terms of professions. Its Warriors and Guardians everywhere.
The actual playstyle in dungeons is much different, basicly its huddle in a cornor and Flaming Greatsword the wall for stupid amounts of damage. If a boss doesnt die within 20sec you might already have people ragequite cause its to slow…. So, have fun with that.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Edseo.7583

Edseo.7583

Leveling isnt that much different, but there are items that give a level or even boost a new character to lv20. So that helps.
What doesnt help is that getting traitpoints is slowed down dramatically, so thats a lot more boring. Even if all you get is some stats it feels like progression.

Also new trait tiers unlock much later, master at 60 and grand-master at 80. And you no longer get access to all traits baseline, but each individual trait has to be bought at a vendor now.

If anything id say the level experience for new players is much, much worst. More boring and with less roam to try out things.

At lv80, all PvE has changed little in terms of professions. Its Warriors and Guardians everywhere.
The actual playstyle in dungeons is much different, basicly its huddle in a cornor and Flaming Greatsword the wall for stupid amounts of damage. If a boss doesnt die within 20sec you might already have people ragequite cause its to slow…. So, have fun with that.

Kinda sounds like the game is broken…

in Profession Balance

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Every single class in this game besides necromancer is good for instances like dungeons and fractals. Ele and thief are your top dps classes, guardian, mesmer and engi are your utility “carry” classes if pugging. Warriors have nice utility and are easy to play, rangers have nice utility but are more challenging to play because of the sword auto.

Terrahero is just blowing things out of proportion, most groups aren’t like that at all, and people who want to stack warriors and guardians are just bad at the game.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Every single class in this game besides necromancer is good for instances like dungeons and fractals.

Lies! Necro is amazing for Jade Maw. 1/47 isnt bad!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ATourist.8359

ATourist.8359

I know this is a PVE thread but I would appreciate if people mentioned how the balance is in pvp as well. I’m also a returning player (6+months) and would like to get a global idea of the classes in pve and wvw

in Profession Balance

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

I know this is a PVE thread but I would appreciate if people mentioned how the balance is in pvp as well. I’m also a returning player (6+months) and would like to get a global idea of the classes in pve and wvw

Would be better to ask in a different thread. The gametypes are vastly different.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

And even Necromancers aren’t bad, they’re just not exactly good either due to the game not playing to their strengths in PvE.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Druitt.7629

Druitt.7629

I do think that the new Trait system gained a lot by consolidating points and allowing free refunds, but it may have lost even more with the 30/60/80 unlock of tiers and the point-every-6-levels system. It should be a point every 5 levels (two points at 80), starting at 20 with tier unlocks at 35, 50, and 65.

As it stands, it really stretches out the most boring part of leveling. If they don’t want to change their new system, at least change the scrolls to add 20 levels rather than just advance you to level 20.

The new system would be a MAJOR win if it weren’t for the unfriendly choices in terms of trait point progression.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Every single class in this game besides necromancer is good for instances like dungeons and fractals. Ele and thief are your top dps classes, guardian, mesmer and engi are your utility “carry” classes if pugging. Warriors have nice utility and are easy to play, rangers have nice utility but are more challenging to play because of the sword auto.

Terrahero is just blowing things out of proportion, most groups aren’t like that at all, and people who want to stack warriors and guardians are just bad at the game.

Um he pretty much explained everything spot on. If you want to dispute it go ahead, I’m sure I can post a significant number of videos showing exactly what he described. Now if you don’t like that, it’s fine. However stacking/los is now the meta for most anything.

edit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/25jl7r/world_first_sub_3min_dungeon_by_snow_crowssc/

I’m going to go ahead and just start posting videos

(edited by GSSBlunaspike.4153)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Um he pretty much explained everything spot on. If you want to dispute it go ahead, I’m sure I can post a significant number of videos showing exactly what he described. Now if you don’t like that, it’s fine. However stacking/los is now the meta for most anything.

edit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/25jl7r/world_first_sub_3min_dungeon_by_snow_crowssc/

I’m going to go ahead and just start posting videos

And of course some (record run) videos by hardcore guilds are absolutely indicative of what the masses (who don’t make videos, btw) do …

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley