Ranger Longbow.. really

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Posted by: nicknamenick.2437

nicknamenick.2437

Anet why did you just OVERBUFFED the longbow.. is that your way of making rangers a populair class again? you just overbuff them so you make sure it the next OP class and people like it…

all i see now in pvp AND wvw are longbow rangers spamming from MILES away with insane fast BULLETS doing 2K+ auto attacks (and fast!!) and a FULL 100b skill on 1500 range and 3x faster..

Ow you can dodge it!! what!?? i dodge 1 rapid fire they spam away with GS and do it all over again..

Atleast for most burst skills you have to do something to even LAND your burst… or you have to be in MELEE range making yourself vulnerable.. this is just madness..

Creating a ranger now also for wvw.. spamming AA > knockback > rapid.. > stealth > block with GS en leap away > AA > knockback > rapid.. > repeat > repeat

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Anet why did you just OVERBUFFED the longbow.. is that your way of making rangers a populair class again? you just overbuff them so you make sure it the next OP class and people like it…

all i see now in pvp AND wvw are longbow rangers spamming from MILES away with insane fast BULLETS doing 2K+ auto attacks (and fast!!) and a FULL 100b skill on 1500 range and 3x faster..

Ow you can dodge it!! what!?? i dodge 1 rapid fire they spam away with GS and do it all over again..

Atleast for most burst skills you have to do something to even LAND your burst… or you have to be in MELEE range making yourself vulnerable.. this is just madness..

Creating a ranger now also for wvw.. spamming AA > knockback > rapid.. > stealth > block with GS en leap away > AA > knockback > rapid.. > repeat > repeat

It sure is a good thing you created this thread to bring this situation to every ones attention. I’m sure people missed the six other threads on this page created by equally bad players who haven’t found their dodge button, qq’ing about op bearbows.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

..read all the threads before making Rash Complaints.
skip all the doom and gloom look for the real answers and Solutions this game isn’t about 1vs1 its Guild wars! get your team mates to help you out and make a Tactical strategy to deal with it, in any other game with Range vs melee do you think the Melee has a easy time getting close i don’t think so.

Use Rocks, Line of sight , avoid cliffs and look up some times rather down on your feet .

a lot of People are use to the Melee vs Melee Fights because that is all it has been for the last 2 years , its time to learn some different Tactics.

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

nicknamenick.2437

It sure is a good thing you created this thread to bring this situation to every ones attention. I’m sure people missed the six other threads on this page created by equally bad players who haven’t found their dodge button, qq’ing about op bearbows.

Havent found their dodge button? didnt you read my post?? your an bad player if you think this buff is NORMAL. lol i am 100% sure they WILL nerf it.

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

Havent found their dodge button? didnt you read my post?? your an bad player if you think this buff is NORMAL. lol i am 100% sure they WILL nerf it.

it requires u to kitten use one dodge to avoid almost all of rapid fire. just . one . single . kitten. dodge .

i dont usually say dis, its probably my first time, but getting tired of the same threads all the time. l2p.

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

nicknamenick.2437

it requires u to kitten use one dodge to avoid almost all of rapid fire. just . one . single . kitten. dodge .

i dont usually say dis, its probably my first time, but getting tired of the same threads all the time. l2p.

almost all of rapid fire
so again.. 1 dodge issnt enough…

now you go into stealth > leap away > block > thats about 8 sec..
Enough time to rapid fire again..

1 rapid fire np..
2e rapid fire is no more dodge and often use a block skill by now.
3e rapid fire.. your kittened..

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Zenos Osgorma.2936

almost all of rapid fire

1 rapid fire np..

if your endurace hasn’t recharged by the third Rp, so ya thats 20secs from the first one, you should have enough Endurance Regen to dodge each one and still have one dodge left, Dodge>block (close in)> put on Stabilty > bobs your uncle the ranger now has to swap to a different weapon and Widen the gap> you having used your gab close yet use it now , forcing him to stay in Melee untill your Stabilty wears off.

and then Repeat..

also

McFribble.2349:

The difference here is that Condition cleanse helps against almost every class in the game. Reflect works well against LB Rangers. If you can’t see the differences here, I don’t know what to tell you. The ENTIRE kittenING GAME shouldn’t have to adapt itself around one class. That is a sign that one class is doing something it probably shouldn’t be doing.

Sigh. This is why we can’t have good things.

Solandri.9640:

The problem isn’t everyone having to adapt themselves around one class. The problem is everyone has been able to ignore that one class for so long. Suddenly that class is buffed so that the abilities it brings to the game now make a difference, and people are in shock because they can’t ignore it anymore.

Basically, anything added to a game which forces you to adapt is a good thing. That’s telling you Anet has successfully added a new and different challenge or mechanic for you learn to overcome. It’s increased the breadth of the game.

You complain that Reflect only works well against LB rangers. That’s probably a valid complaint, but then you incorrectly conclude that it’s a reason to nerf rangers. The correct conclusion is that Anet needs to add more skills to other classes which require reflect to defend against, thus making it equally as important to carry reflect as it is to carry a condition cleanse. That is balance. What’s the point of even having reflect in the game if you never need to carry it because all builds vulnerable to it are non-threatening and thus can be ignored?

As I said in another thread, balance isn’t “I can run around with my preferred build and not have to worry about anything because my build can defend against anything.” That is horribly unbalanced. Balance is “My build has strong defense against certain things but not others, so I have to be careful to play to my strengths and avoid situations which exploit my weaknesses.” Rock, paper, scissors would be a stupid game if scissors were so weak paper could always ignore them.

(edited by Zenos Osgorma.2936)

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

almost all of rapid fire

1 rapid fire np..

u will get 1-3 k dmg maybe if u DO TAP THE DAM DODGE BUTTON

then, why would someone just watch theranger go away? the stealth arrow has an obvious animation, u should be able to avoid it

u can use the terrain to ur advantage

u can pressure the ranger

so lets go according to ur theory:

a war w axe /shield , gs

omg he uses evisc !! so op!! , well i avoided it so np! but but he just uses his stances, then his evisc rdy again oh noo!! , hah he missed again! but no now he uses his gs to kite , or his shield 5 to buy extra time! then evisc again!

according to u the enemy of the ranger just watches him do all the stuff, so pls, can u not do dis

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Yup I’m a bad player that has had 0 problems dealing with these zerk rangers with every profession.. Tell you what, just let me know what profession you play and I’ll tell you how to deal with them.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

They didn’t overbuff anything, people are just excited to see the Ranger play well. When the newness dies off, you’ll see less of them.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

The damage dealt by each skill on Ranger Longbow is exactly the same as it was pre-patch. Only thing that’s changed is how quickly the damage comes.

@Zenos Omega: Making Reflects as important to bring as condition cleanse has one major, major problem: Necromancers. They’re the only profession with zero projectile reflection ability. They also have no methods to block the attack or destroy the projectiles. If Reflects became as important as condition cleanses, Necros would have a really tough time justifying a spot on a PvP team.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Zenos Osgorma.2936

The damage dealt by each skill on Ranger Longbow is exactly the same as it was pre-patch. Only thing that’s changed is how quickly the damage comes.

@Zenos Omega: Making Reflects as important to bring as condition cleanse has one major, major problem: Necromancers. They’re the only profession with zero projectile reflection ability. They also have no methods to block the attack or destroy the projectiles. If Reflects became as important as condition cleanses, Necros would have a really tough time justifying a spot on a PvP team.

yes and i know it sucks but each class has somthing they are good at and somthing they can’t do as well as the next class.

team comp wise if everyone in the 5vs5 had a reflect thats a hard counter to all Range projectiles , pistols ect and would allow one reflect up at all times.
since Anet likes Esport i can see some reason why necro don’t have reflects because they have access to quite a bit of fear, life force and other ways to migrate the damage
they are just different.
the main aim of my comment was Relfects are going to play a more important part in any team comp format ,maybe an attual use for turrets to use Bubble shield to cover a largish area for team mates while you sit inside doing your range attacks.

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

yes and i know it sucks but each class has somthing they are good at and somthing they can’t do as well as the next class.

While true, and something I’m fine with, you can’t go making something that a profession cannot do at all that important to the game. Making something important that everyone can do, but others can do better? Fine. That encourages diversity. Making something important that some professions simply cannot do? Not so much.

Imagine if boon stripping was made that important. Eles, Rangers, and Warriors have no methods of doing that, so how would they compete?

I’m a Geeleiver

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Zenos Osgorma.2936

While true, and something I’m fine with, you can’t go making something that a profession cannot do at all that important to the game. Making something important that everyone can do, but others can do better? Fine. That encourages diversity. Making something important that some professions simply cannot do? Not so much.

Imagine if boon stripping was made that important. Eles, Rangers, and Warriors have no methods of doing that, so how would they compete?

palm face thats what you took from that paragraph ignoring the part about team comp play , its guild wars not solo wars , if boon ripping is one skill that a necro can do well contributing to a coordinated spike so a agis +protect won’t soak up a high damaging attack. thats what you can do.

if i could strip boons on my range well that would make the whole class Op and warroirs having a boon rip all you’ll get is double Ko without boon support warroirs can’t hold a front line and necros deal with that in spades in addition to the condis.

no point getting into a Balance Debate again like the other threads, its a fact that Reflects will be a important part of group play from now on, solo no so much since we are playing Guild wars not solo wars 1vs1 shouldn’t even be considered.

threads done this is Just QQ now since the Op isn’t replying.

(edited by Zenos Osgorma.2936)

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

While it is a team game, ability to handle yourself in a solo fight is still important in PvP. Dodging, removing conditions, and breaking stun are all things that can be balanced around as an assumption because everyone has access to those.

All I’m saying is that your initial comment of “everyone should bring reflects, just like they bring condition cleanse” wasn’t well thought out, because not everyone has that option.

Just to be clear, I like that the Ranger got buffed. It needed it and it’s finally a threat class. Every class should be considered a threat in PvP.

I’m a Geeleiver

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

ResJudicator.7916

To clear up some basic misconceptions…

DPS = damage per second. That means if you do the same amount of damage in less time, your DPS increases. Rapid fire does the same damage as before, but now in almost half the time (44% faster). Therefore its DPS has increased.

As for whether power ranger overall is OP now or not, I think it’s still hard to tell. They generally lack stability and have limited condition removal unless they grab survival of the fittest (which means fewer points in skirmishing and therefore less damage).

Power rangers in tpvp right now feel like easier-to-play thieves. Both classes excel at joining a fight mid-battle and ending it quickly. But while the thief has to position himself well and port into melee for a quick burst (which takes time to set up and is places the thief at risk of getting 1-shot), the ranger can put out just as much damage from slightly over 1.5k range without any real positional or conditional requirements. The main issue with power longbow really just seems to be how easy it is to burst with, rather than how powerful the class is overall.

If we compare power rangers to fresh air ele, rapid fire does about the same damage as two air-attune + lightning strike combos, but the ele will take at least twice as long (5s CD on fresh air) to cycle through air twice and has less survivability/mobility. Then again, fresh air ele can chain multiple skills together to achieve a larger overall burst (e.g. triple-hit phoenix + lightning flash + air burst), but that comes at a much longer cooldown of 40s (32 if you trait cantrip reduction).

Fresh air ele and thief also arguably brings more utility to their teams than a power ranger. (Ele can bring aoe daze via comet, aoe healing via trident, blinds, and might stacking; Thief can bring shadow refuge, boon stealing, guaranteed interrupts via sleight of hand, and poison).

And yes, you can evade/block a rapid fire if you see it coming, but that’s true for every other class’s burst (including backstabs if you saw the thief enter stealth and you aren’t completely new to the game). On the other hand, rapid fire is basically immune to aegis and blind (which only block one arrow, so I guess a ~10% reduction), while blind/aegis completely negate single-hit burst skills.

Reflection is definitely a hard counter to rapid fire, but most reflection skills have much longer cooldowns so the ranger can always just use barrage while the reflection is up. That said, it’s really fun completely shutting down the crappier power rangers who don’t pay attention to reflect.

(edited Today, 02:24 by ResJudicator.7916)

Today, 02:22

+1

That clear enough for you? Damage output for zerker lb ranger has been increased.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

this is a silly thread.
same weapon, but now with a legit burst skill (medium burst damage in the 7-8k range)…with the trade off, being you can more easily dodge/reflect/block the damage.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

They do however have several very powerful mechanisms to make the Ranger back the hell off…conditions. Ranger giving you problems? Fear him or hit him with a Signet of Spite to condi-bomb him to where he needs to back off and heal or he’ll die. You have the power to make a zerker Ranger back off through conditions, use them, abuse them, and make the Ranger suffer for picking a fight with you.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Adding on to what Ryu said, the two strongest condition cleanses a ranger has are Empathic Bond and Signet of Renewal, which merely pull the conditions to the pet. This sets you up for Epidemic, which will turn their own condition cleanse into an even bigger condition bomb.

If a necromancer does manage to close the distance there isn’t much a ranger with a sniper set up can do to survive.

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Man, don’t you have better things to do? If you’re 100% convinced than ANet will nerf it and we can’t bypass a wall and prove you wrong, then why whine in every of 50 threads you’ve created over this week?

Go outside, have fun time with friends, take your dog for a walk.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Adding on to what Ryu said, the two strongest condition cleanses a ranger has are Empathic Bond and Signet of Renewal, which merely pull the conditions to the pet. This sets you up for Epidemic, which will turn their own condition cleanse into an even bigger condition bomb.

If a necromancer does manage to close the distance there isn’t much a ranger with a sniper set up can do to survive.

Soo, what you’re both saying is that Power necros are hopeless against longbow rangers? Or that Rangers try to fight at sub-1200 range?

Yes, if a necro can close the gap, a Longbow ranger will have some difficulty. Then again, what profession is this not true for?

Again, I’m happy for a Ranger’s current power level. The only thing I am saying is that reflects cannot become as important to bring as condition removal and the game be balanced. While everyone has dodges, self-healing ability, stunbreakers, and condition removal available to them, not everyone has reflects, or even projectile blocks.

I’m a Geeleiver

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Interesting. Team Fortress II for example would like to disagree with you, having very valid hardcounters in it’s class-setup, leaving classes like the Heavy completely exposed to a Sniper at long range with no way to retaliate.

And? It balances fine.

Because it is not about making you able to handle everything.
Rather, the opposite is the intend. You’re support to have someone in your team to reflect enemy damage back. Cover you. You add your utility to cover their weakness in turn.

That’s more or less the core of class-/spec-based game design. It’s good they’re (at a glacial pace) pushing that more, making people more and more dependent on the team, not on themselves. It’s a MMORPG, the whole game is built upon the idea of multiplayer, on top of that the game heavily advertises massive-multiple player elements with its PvE and WvW.
On top of that, class-based design ideally uses this hard-wired reliance. More of it, please.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

Interesting. Team Fortress II for example would like to disagree with you, having very valid hardcounters in it’s class-setup, leaving classes like the Heavy completely exposed to a Sniper at long range with no way to retaliate.

And? It balances fine.

Rather, the opposite is the intend. You’re support to have someone in your team to reflect enemy damage back. Cover you. You add your utility to cover their weakness in turn.

That’s more or less the core of class-/spec-based game design. It’s good they’re (at a glacial pace) pushing that more, making people more and more dependent on the team, not on themselves. It’s a MMORPG, the whole game is built upon the idea of multiplayer, on top of that the game heavily advertises massive-multiple player elements with its PvE and WvW.
On top of that, class-based design ideally uses this hard-wired reliance. More of it, please.

That is irrelevant as guild wars 2 class design was suppose to be that every class can do everything and are self reliant.

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

And? It balances fine.

That is irrelevant as guild wars 2 class design was suppose to be that every class can do everything and are self reliant.

Yup, as it is every class should have a 40-50% chance to beat any class as it stands, sadly condi removal is limited on some classes and reflection is only on a few. Sadly buffing ranged is good for pve.. not so much wvw.. =/

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Carighan.6758

And kitten often in MMORPG (or game in general) design over an extended period of time, many designs which sounded good at first turn out to be a bad idea later on.

In this case, it’s absurd to think “can do everything and is self-reliant” is a realistic goal for a class-based MMO’s balance. A clkitten one, well, maybe. Can do. But not a class-based one. Not in PvP. Won’t work. The complexity is much, much too high to ever get there.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

almost all of rapid fire

1 rapid fire np..

u will get 1-3 k dmg maybe if u DO TAP THE DAM DODGE BUTTON

then, why would someone just watch theranger go away? the stealth arrow has an obvious animation, u should be able to avoid it

u can use the terrain to ur advantage

u can pressure the ranger

so lets go according to ur theory:

a war w axe /shield , gs

omg he uses evisc !! so op!! , well i avoided it so np! but but he just uses his stances, then his evisc rdy again oh noo!! , hah he missed again! but no now he uses his gs to kite , or his shield 5 to buy extra time! then evisc again!

according to u the enemy of the ranger just watches him do all the stuff, so pls, can u not do dis

better yet, screw stances, use shouts with inspiring shouts trait. BAM instant evis right after the first one is off CD.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

And? It balances fine.

Team Fortress 2 is also not balanced around a conquest game mode, but rather a capture the flag/kill count. Having certain required things be supplied by just someone is fine in that mode, because you don’t have to go solo. In GW2 PvP, that isn’t the case.

There are 3 nodes and five players. Either you give up objectives (1 point, plus map objectives) entirely, or somebody is solo. There simply is no way around it. Thus, you can’t balance assuming a capability that not everyone has.

Inter-player reliance should happen, and it should involve complimentary builds and play. It should not involve relying on mechanics someone just cannot have. Chose not to have is one thing. Cannot have is another.

I’m a Geeleiver

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Carighan.6758

There are 3 nodes and five players. Either you give up objectives (1 point, plus map objectives) entirely, or somebody is solo. There simply is no way around it. Thus, you can’t balance assuming a capability that not everyone has.

It’s too bad that the game we play doesn’t feature a PvP mode where there is a large pool of players on each side and 3-way combat is possible, so balance could happen based on balance of usefulness instead of a direct balance of power.

Oh. Wait.

(I’ll never get what the dev’s fascination with their sPvP is. The teams are way too tiny to be in any way balanceable. 8, minimum. 12 would be better, something 15-20 ideal on slightly larger maps but still 3 nodes.)

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

It’s too bad that the game we play doesn’t feature a PvP mode where there is a large pool of players on each side and 3-way combat is possible, so balance could happen based on balance of usefulness instead of a direct balance of power.

Oh. Wait.

(I’ll never get what the dev’s fascination with their sPvP is. The teams are way too tiny to be in any way balanceable. 8, minimum. 12 would be better, something 15-20 ideal on slightly larger maps but still 3 nodes.)

Of course WvW exists, but it is also, by its very nature, impossible to balance around. Side numbers are uncontrolled, equipment is all over the place, as are traits due to uplevels, and occasionally, Champions can be dragged into fights. By its very nature, it cannot be balanced.

And that’s good! I wouldn’t want it any other way.

I’m a Geeleiver

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Soo, what you’re both saying is that Power necros are hopeless against longbow rangers? Or that Rangers try to fight at sub-1200 range?

Yes, if a necro can close the gap, a Longbow ranger will have some difficulty. Then again, what profession is this not true for?

Again, I’m happy for a Ranger’s current power level. The only thing I am saying is that reflects cannot become as important to bring as condition removal and the game be balanced. While everyone has dodges, self-healing ability, stunbreakers, and condition removal available to them, not everyone has reflects, or even projectile blocks.

No, what we’re saying is that it can go either way depending on how the fight is initiated.

Contrary to popular belief not every fight is engaged in a friendly duel where both parties agree on a set distance and say when to start. In fact most fights in the game, both in WvWvW and SPVP, will involve one player getting the drop on the other.

If the ranger initiates from a comfortable maximum range it will be a very uphill battle for the necromancer. However, if the necromancer is the one who initiates combat because the ranger didn’t see them coming or was busy with someone else the necromancer has every tool it needs to quickly burn the ranger down and keep them close with slowing conditions that counter Swoop and a utility skill that hard counters the ranger’s best condition cleansing abilities.

Also, reflect isn’t exactly like a condition cleanse. The longbow can be countered by any form of power damage reduction such as blocking, dodging, evades, and toughness. Reflect is closer to the necromancer skill that takes all the conditions on you and turns them into boons. It’s a HARD counter to ranged damage that turns their own weapon against them rather than just negating the damage the way a cleanse does.

So really, you will bring reflects if you anticipate dealing with a lot of projectile damage, just like you might bring a reveal skill if you’re anticipating a lot of thieves. Both are hard counters to a certain profession and have to be considered. Though reflect is a lot more common than revealed is.

Ranger Longbow.. really

in Profession Balance

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

SIGNET OF SPITE. You don’t need to trait for it, just use it and the Ranger gets bleeding, blind, crippled, poisoned, a 5 stack of vulnerability, AND weakness. That’s more than enough to make the Ranger either freak out and break off, or they’ll continue to try to fight and be easy pickings for you (hint, use Death Shroud afterwards if you really want to make them suffer).

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald