Sigil of Ice

Sigil of Ice

in Profession Balance

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Sigil of Ice: 10% / 20% / 30% chance to Chill your foe for 1s / 1s / 2s (cooldown: 10s)

Can Sigil of Ice get a +50% chance increase to proc to 80% to proc?

Why? I really want Frost Archers to be a thing. I want to snipe from afar to freeze enemies with my arrows. However, my biggest gripe is that it has a very low proc chance. I think that the low duration will balance it out.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Sigil of Ice

in Profession Balance

Posted by: killahmayne.9518

killahmayne.9518

It wouldn’t make a difference if you increase the chance to proc unless you change the cooldown.

Mace/Greatsword Video (Sept Patch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoAjKtD6MLY

Sigil of Ice

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Nikaido.6739

Nikaido.6739

I agree with killahmayne. The problem with ice sigil is the extremely long cooldown and unbelievably short chill duration. Anet is always caution about chill duration here and there…. (such as nerfing the other good hydromancer sigil)!

In some way I think they’re only encouraging player to go full zerker (power related build) as player always do.

I was so looking forward a buff on chill related sigil and they let us down. It probably will take Anet a long time to change that. (Just like in GW1!)

Sigil of Ice

in Profession Balance

Posted by: bigmonto.4215

bigmonto.4215

2 sec of chill out of 10 sec is not bad. chill is a really powerful condition, as it decrease movement as well as skill cooldown.

Sigil of Ice

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

i’d say reduce current CD from 10 seconds to 8 seconds, to reflect the lower proc rate and then it would be perfect!

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Sigil of Ice

in Profession Balance

runeblade.7514

It wouldn’t make a difference if you increase the chance to proc unless you change the cooldown.

I am fine with the cooldown.

I increased the chill duration through sigils and runes so that it will last 4 second for every 10 seconds.

Sigil of Ice

in Profession Balance

killahmayne.9518

I increased the chill duration through sigils and runes so that it will last 4 second for every 10 seconds.

whether it is 30, 60, 90 or 100 percent, chill regardless is going to proc before the cooldown is over.

Sigil of Ice

in Profession Balance

runeblade.7514

whether it is 30, 60, 90 or 100 percent, chill regardless is going to proc before the cooldown is over.

Usually, Chill procs at 20 seconds after the last chill. I had one that didn’t prokittenil 30-40 seconds. I want at least a consistent 2-4 second chill every 10 second.

Sigil of Ice

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

That is not true at all. It would make a very large difference. The higher the chance, the more reliable it will be, with a 100% chance meaning it will proc right when it comes off cooldown.

Sigil of Ice

in Profession Balance

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

The sigil seems fine to me it just wasn’t great with the old gcd on sigils if you had to chose. I ran this on my engi with great it’s on hit not crit seems good to. You notice when procs.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

Sigil of Ice

in Profession Balance

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

What an odd thing to say. Get it?

EDIT:
But then I did the numbers. It turns out, that after 5 attacks already the proc chance of the sigil is 88%.

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

(edited by TyPin.9860)

Sigil of Ice

in Profession Balance

bigmonto.4215

EDIT:
But then I did the numbers. It turns out, that after 5 attacks already the proc chance of the sigil is 88%.

gambler’s fallacy!? After 5 attacks, the proc chance of the sigil is exactly 30%.

Sigil of Ice

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Xahz.8406

Xahz.8406

EDIT:

gambler’s fallacy!? After 5 attacks, the proc chance of the sigil is exactly 30%.

Don’t use terms when you don’t know what they mean. The chance on proccing it on the next attack is 30%. The chance is proccing it at least once over five attacks is 88% (assuming his math is right)

Sigil of Ice

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Berengar.6951

Berengar.6951

EDIT:

Don’t use terms when you don’t know what they mean. The chance on proccing it on the next attack is 30%. The chance is proccing it at least once over five attacks is 88% (assuming his math is right)

It’s actually about an 83% chance over 5 attacks

Engineer, Thief, Mesmer, Elementalist, Guardian,Warrior, Necro
[KoM] Krewe of Misfits
[IB]Inglorious Basterdz

Sigil of Ice

in Profession Balance

bigmonto.4215

EDIT:

Of course I know what it means, now go back and reread his sentence. Notice he uses “after 5 attacks” instead of “over 5 attacks”, that’s a huge difference. So yeah after 5 attacks, your chance of procing is not going to improve one bit.

As such the OP has a point, increase chance to proc will help.

(edited by bigmonto.4215)

Sigil of Ice

in Profession Balance

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

EDIT:

Of course I know what it means, now go back and reread his sentence. Notice he uses “after 5 attacks” instead of “over 5 attacks”, that’s a huge difference. So yeah after 5 attacks, your chance of procing is not going to improve one bit.

I am not a native speaker, so excuse me, if I made a mistake in using the right words. If you know what I mean, than what did you accomplish with that comment? The forum is full of trolls. Are you one of them?

These are the cumulative chances (if I didn’t make a mistake):
1 attack: 30%
2 attacks: 51%
3 attacks: 66%
4 attacks: 76%
5 attacks: 83%
6 attacks: 88%
7 attacks: 92%
8 attacks: 94%
9 attacks: 96%
10 attacks: 97%

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

Sigil of Ice

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Cuz ya know, we need pew pew to have reliable CC. Totally sounds healthy and balanced.

Surely this is healthy for a game already in a state of low risk. /sarcasm

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

Sigil of Ice

in Profession Balance

bigmonto.4215

EDIT:

I am not a native speaker, so excuse me, if I made a mistake in using the right words. If you know what I mean, than what did you accomplish with that comment? The forum is full of trolls. Are you one of them?

These are the cumulative chances (if I didn’t make a mistake):
1 attack: 30%
2 attacks: 51%
3 attacks: 66%
4 attacks: 76%
5 attacks: 83%
6 attacks: 88%
7 attacks: 92%
8 attacks: 94%
9 attacks: 96%
10 attacks: 97%

Because your wording is confusing and gambler’s fallacy is a misconception among many. I don’t want the other readers to believe that their 6th attack actually have a 88% chance of procing.

Notice even the other commenter are also confused, he claimed you said there are 88% chance at least 1 out of 5 attacks would have proced, in fact it should be 1 out of 6.

However I thank you for putting the number out there. If we assume a reasonable no. of attacks for it to proc, I agree with you about 6. How long on average can you actually land 6th attacks. That’s the real question. For a GS warrior in pvp, I must admit: it might be a very long time, unless I lock them in 100b. As a result, I’ll be switching to a on-swap sigil.

(edited by bigmonto.4215)

Sigil of Ice

in Profession Balance

killahmayne.9518

That is not true at all. It would make a very large difference. The higher the chance, the more reliable it will be, with a 100% chance meaning it will proc right when it comes off cooldown.

And that reliability doesn’t make a huge difference at all in the grand scheme of things. If it doesn’t proc on the first attack it isn’t a big deal. It’ll probably proc on the 2nd or 3rd attack. This is from my experiences with the sigil. Making it 100% chance on hit doesn’t really make the sigil that much more attractive because again, the cooldown is the limiting factor and the chill duration to a lesser degree. However, increasing the the duration of the chill can potentially make the sigil imbalanced. Which is why I think lowering the cooldown to maybe around 8 seconds will make it more attractive yet balanced.

And if you take into account attacks that use multiple hits, i.e Dual shot from warrior longbow, grenades from engi or really fast attacks like the shortbow auto, it’ll proc really quickly regardless.

As a side note: I’m not the greatest at math, but unless you are really unlucky the sigil will proc before the 6th attack.

On average, theoretically the sigil will proc on the 3rd attack.

(edited by killahmayne.9518)

Sigil of Ice

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

And that reliability doesn’t make a huge difference at all in the grand scheme of things. If it doesn’t proc on the first attack it isn’t a big deal. It’ll probably proc on the 2nd or 3rd attack. This is from my experiences with the sigil. Making it 100% chance on hit doesn’t really make the sigil that much more attractive because again, the cooldown is the limiting factor and the chill duration to a lesser degree. However, increasing the the duration of the chill can potentially make the sigil imbalanced. Which is why I think lowering the cooldown to maybe around 8 seconds will make it more attractive yet balanced.

And if you take into account attacks that use multiple hits, i.e Dual shot from warrior longbow, grenades from engi or really fast attacks like the shortbow auto, it’ll proc really quickly regardless.

As a side note: I’m not the greatest at math, but unless you are really unlucky the sigil will proc before the 6th attack.

On average, theoretically the sigil will proc on the 3rd attack.

It is much better to have it at 100%, from a gameplay/skill perspective, and a power perspective.