The problem with broken rangers

in Profession Balance

Posted by: SkylightMoon.2098

SkylightMoon.2098

Is not so much their rapid fire, but their stupidly strong autoattack. All long, medium, and short range, they are all too strong. Im not too opposed to keeping the long range damage “similar” to what it was before, but the medium and short range needed no buff. They should have stayed the same or have been nerfed actually.

There is no reason for autoattacks on any class to hit 2-3k on average. Thats broken. Especially for a skill that is an autoattack and fires so fast.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Halbatros.5173

Halbatros.5173

I will leave this here.Thank me later
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXsE5TMN1-M

in Profession Balance

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Is not so much their rapid fire, but their stupidly strong autoattack. All long, medium, and short range, they are all too strong. Im not too opposed to keeping the long range damage “similar” to what it was before, but the medium and short range needed no buff. They should have stayed the same or have been nerfed actually.

There is no reason for autoattacks on any class to hit 2-3k on average. Thats broken. Especially for a skill that is an autoattack and fires so fast.

Lololololol… lol… lolololol. LOL.
Did I mention lol?
The AA gets weaker as closer you are to the ranger. Simply run towards him… shouldn’t be that hard. If you are 600 units away from or closer the AA wont even deal half the damage…

in Profession Balance

SkylightMoon.2098

Did I mention lol?
The AA gets weaker as closer you are to the ranger. Simply run towards him… shouldn’t be that hard. If you are 600 units away from or closer the AA wont even deal half the damage…

The autoattack hits like a truck at every distance, and it shouldn’t.

in Profession Balance

Halbatros.5173

Oh…I remember those necro dagger autos for 2.1k every 0’75 seconds… wha? You don’t? I do.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Did I mention lol?

You forgot the /sarcasm

in Profession Balance

SkylightMoon.2098

Oh…I remember those necro dagger autos for 2.1k every 0’75 seconds… wha? You don’t? I do.

ye and its pretty easy to stay away from a necromancer in that range because of how slow they are and vulnerable to cc. rangers hit like a truck from every range. lol the ranger community will defend themselves until the nerf. enjoy it while you can, because it will be shortlived.

in Profession Balance

Halbatros.5173

ye and its pretty easy to stay away from a necromancer in that range because of how slow they are and vulnerable to cc. rangers hit like a truck from every range. lol the ranger community will defend themselves until the nerf. enjoy it while you can, because it will be shortlived.

Yeah.I hear ya’.Because necromancer has 0 acces to inmmob,cripple,fear and chill.Because they cant hit 4k every 1.25 secs with an autoattack from range,3k from 1.2k range.Because thiefs,who can deal beyond 15k dmg in 1.15 seconds from 1.2k range,sometimes 2.1k,while stunning you in the process.I can keep going.Just watch the video and learn.It will help you, I promise

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Irina.7418

Irina.7418

Sword deals more damage than LB at max range, it also gives might to pet, and you can’t escape it because it inflicts cripple, and leap at the target. I guess Sword ranger is also broken… (Keep in mind that I limited the comparison to ranger only, most professions deal so much more damage than ranger with their auto-attacks there is no point to even talk about it).

in Profession Balance

SkylightMoon.2098

lol so many rangers running to defend their broken class. okay ill let you enjoy yourself until next patch.

in Profession Balance

Halbatros.5173

You mean in 6 months?;)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

by then people will have learnt what to do.
just sit back and enjoy the ride a lot of people will have to adapt to the new combat style that is not Melee meta, times are changing.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

I only occasionally play my Ranger, but the amount of QQ is almost on pre-nerf Warrior levels. Actually, it might be greater. The only class I can think of that has limited ways to deal with LB Rangers would be Necro due to their low mobility. Warriors have plenty of gap closers, Guards have teleports, Thieves have…a lot of stuff, Engi has blocks/stealth/Rocket Boots, other Rangers have the same range, Mes has stealth/teleport, Ele can have reflects/blocks/gap closers. There’s also a thing know as Line of Sight that reduces the Ranger’s damage to 0, the best thing is that everyone can use it!

It’s the same issue as when Warriors became viable, players were unwilling to change up their build to deal with the changes. One thing I do miss though is ranger’s focus on interrupts in GW1. Landing that Broadhead Arrow or any of the other interrupt skills felt so satisfying. Moment of Clarity seems to be an attempt to encourage that but when there’s only a few interrupt skills it feels less like the old days.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

define too strong ???

By the way, where did you come up with that number? I can do 2k+ auto attacks on every profession in this game with the right weapon. So if every profession is equally “broken”, as you claim, what is the problem?

lol so many rangers running to defend their broken class. okay ill let you enjoy yourself until next patch.

Actually I have leveled all professions to 80 within the first 6 months of release. My rangers is probably 4th or so on my list of time I play it. It is not a matter of rangers running to defend there profession. As I see it, it is the informed running to educate the uninformed. For example, complaining that a auto attack damage level is over powered, when it is a level that any profession can obtain on an auto attack, seems very uneducated to me.

(edited by dancingmonkey.4902)

in Profession Balance

SkylightMoon.2098

define too strong ???

By the way, where did you come up with that number? I can do 2k+ auto attacks on every profession in this game with the right weapon. So if every profession is equally “broken”, as you claim, what is the problem?

Actually I have leveled all professions to 80 within the first 6 months of release. My rangers is probably 4th or so on my list of time I play it. It is not a matter of rangers running to defend there profession. As I see it, it is the informed running to educate the uninformed. For example, complaining that a auto attack damage level is over powered, when it is a level that any profession can obtain on an auto attack, seems very uneducated to me.

autoattacks that hit that hard are broken, at least when they do at nearly every range. other professions can hit that hard if they are full glass but not at every range, only ranger. its the combination of speed, damage, and distance that make the autoattack over powered. one of them needs to be nerfed.

I didnt’ say rangers are overpowered either, they are not. its just certain aspects of the longbow that are. rifle damage is very similar to longbow, in some ways, but there are many reasons why its not viable. the hardest hitting skill that you will consistently land on rifle is volley. the autoattack is awful in damage, unlike the ranger longbow autoattack. killshot and rapid fire are comparable in damage except one is so predictably easy to dodge wihle the other can still hit you for around 2 arrows after you dodge the beginning of it.

(edited by SkylightMoon.2098)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

define too strong ???

autoattacks that hit that hard are broken, at least when they do at nearly every range. other professions can hit that hard if they are full glass but not at every range, only ranger. its the combination of speed, damage, and distance that make the autoattack over powered. one of them needs to be nerfed.

Funny thing is, is that before patch you would maybe do 500 damage less. The buff to lb AA was minimal, in fact, they didn’t even touch the damage at max range. So I find it funny that people are only complaining now, when lb AA did the same damage at max range. I guess bad players will always have something to complain about, because god forbid it’s actually them that’s the problem.

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Why did you make another thread to discuss the same thing being discussed in a dozen other threads?

in Profession Balance

SkylightMoon.2098

define too strong ???

Funny thing is, is that before patch you would maybe do 500 damage less. The buff to lb AA was minimal, in fact, they didn’t even touch the damage at max range. So I find it funny that people are only complaining now, when lb AA did the same damage at max range. I guess bad players will always have something to complain about, because god forbid it’s actually them that’s the problem.

lol. They buffed damage at short ranged and medium range, which wasn’t necessary.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

I am thanking you right now. That was a fantastic explanation from a non-ranger.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Profession Balance

Halbatros.5173

I am thanking you right now. That was a fantastic explanation from a non-ranger.

No problem man! Not my video,credit goes for its creator.
But the “Opinions about balance>facts about balance” issue that this playerbase shares is simply dumb…So I wanted to inform some people about the video

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ergolicious.1507

Ergolicious.1507

The new cd on the aoe root elite is what’s making me complain the most. Of course the roots are killable…. IF YOU CAN kittenING HIT THEM because sometimes the hitbox gets totally kittened up or I noticed something else: you kill them or blink away and you’re still rooted in place for a good ~2-4 second – which seems to be a bug. Now when there are 3 rangers in the other team, that they all use this elite with 48 cd traited, it becomes QUITE annoying pretty fast.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

The new cd on the aoe root elite is what’s making me complain the most. Of course the roots are killable…. IF YOU CAN kittenING HIT THEM because sometimes the hitbox gets totally kittened up or I noticed something else: you kill them or blink away and you’re still rooted in place for a good ~2-4 second – which seems to be a bug. Now when there are 3 rangers in the other team, that they all use this elite with 48 cd traited, it becomes QUITE annoying pretty fast.

Teleport only moves you, you have to use condi clear to get rid of immob.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

“like a truck” apparently means “weaker than most other autoattacks in the game”, now.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

“like a truck” apparently means “weaker than most other autoattacks in the game”, now.

exactly. lets clarify, long range shot at close range hits for less dps than ranger shortbow, less than mesmer scepter, far less then necro axe, far less than guardian scepter, far less than ele scepter (air auto), far less than warrior LB or rifle, and far far less than any melee weapons (even ones the ranger has).

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ergolicious.1507

Ergolicious.1507

No it actually removes it, most of the time. Elem’s blink, Mesmer’s blink, Thief’s withdraw too, etc. I’m not even sure it’s intended, the whole skill is glitchy as kitten.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

No it actually removes it, most of the time. Elem’s blink, Mesmer’s blink, Thief’s withdraw too, etc. I’m not even sure it’s intended, the whole skill is glitchy as kitten.

LF/Blink don’t remove condis as far as I know, Blink breaks stun but immob is not stun anyway. Thief withdraw is not teleport and one of it’s effects is to remove specifically immob. So far LF/blink and shadowstep haven’t removed immob from me unless ofc the roots expired when I tp’d. Well, what I simply wanted to say, if i tp and then condi cleanse, I don’t have problem of being rooted after tp as you described.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

You’re posting ‘like a truck’ the last few days/

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

everybody who can’t defeat a pewpew in 1v1 or even 1v2 is a noob! we tried it for 5 hrs, you can’t lose against them.

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ciucan.5092

Ciucan.5092

To the person who started this thread: you do not know or understand the most limited mechanics of this game.

As someone previously stated,all classes with proper build and weapon go for 2k damage on AA.
You want to nerf a ranger??you think he is op….please learn the mechanics before opening your mouth.If u truly want to take him down,get close,use reflects,charge him..use stability against his knockbacks and eventually in melee 1v1 if he is using a zerker build ,his defences are too low for you.

Inform youreself better before opening a thread with such nonsense as to nerfing the ranger….when clearly this is a class which has never truly dominated spvp…and is just now getting some attention…

in Profession Balance

Posted by: MiniMe.1960

MiniMe.1960

Look at those carebears delicious tears. Probably used to do nothing when a Ranger hit you with the longbow.
Ranger was always a tough opponent in small scale and now longbow isn’t a wasted weapon slot anymore. Thx A-Net for more diversity.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Make party with a guardian problem solved!

Ranger if fail to kill with the burst is in deep trouble.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: MarauderShields.6830

MarauderShields.6830

To the person who started this thread: you do not know or understand the most limited mechanics of this game.

As someone previously stated,all classes with proper build and weapon go for 2k damage on AA.

Cool, can i have a 1500 units dagger for my thief? I would forego the mini-cleave for that.

Former running-really-fast-man. Now proud member of Revenant clan.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

the new combat style that is not Melee meta, times are changing.

Exactly. Any playstyle revolved around melee with little avoidance (besides dodging) is dying/dead (poor Warriors). Gap closers have been repeatedly nerfed (longer cooldowns, lower distance travelled) or have never had their bugs fixed (hello Warriors). Although Mesmers (also significantly buffed this last patch) had the Illusionary Leap “fixed” (really just another teleport). Even Thief evade was significantly nerfed in the patch (evade focused/black powder blind spam).

With one exception, Ranger Greatsword Swoop got a nice 1/2s evade… And Ranger has had fixed Sword/Dagger evades for quite a while now. The not-so-odd part now is if you want to have a playstyle of melee, you should also be playing a Ranger.

The meta will adapt, the screams will still be stated that Rangers got too much and you know what, the players already know it … nearly everyone has tried the new Ranger (or is playing a class with significant stealth/teleport/block/reflection/evade uptime to counter … guess that class that is).

(edited by Artaz.3819)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: nagymbear.5280

nagymbear.5280

Cool, can i have a 1500 units dagger for my thief? I would forego the mini-cleave for that.

Sure. In return we will take shadowstep, shadow refuge, steal and we will be able to spam all weapon skills from initiative.

Khert Devileyes – Ranger / Mano Negra – Thief / Nagymbear – Warrior /
Elona Bonechill – Necro / Fionna Gymirdottier – Guard /// RoF

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Flitzie.6082

Flitzie.6082

Well, I have run my current build pre patch aswell. Who even needs Rapid fire.
Having some serious projectile speed now lets me finally hit stuff reliably, yay for that.

Picture: 3 Hits against some low armor necro.
You can see me critting a bronze assaulter for 3k aswell on that screenshot. He must have had 3k+ armor and it was close range.

Edit: that tooltip damage is wrong btw. Hovering over the actual skill it shows 1100 damage at max range.
And before everyone wets their pants. The damage averages out on 6-7k opening hits and 3.5k hits without signet of the hunt. It is usually not anywhere near that high.

Oneshotting upleveld guys is fun though

Attachments:

You touched the shiny, didn’t you?

(edited by Flitzie.6082)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Frenk.5917

Frenk.5917

You mean in 6 months?;)

I lol’d

Frenk – EU
All is vain

in Profession Balance

Zenos Osgorma.2936

Well, I have run my current build pre patch aswell. Who even needs Rapid fire.
Having some serious projectile speed now lets me finally hit stuff reliably, yay for that.

Picture: 3 Hits against some low armor necro.
You can see me critting a bronze assaulter for 3k aswell on that screenshot. He must have had 3k+ armor and it was close range.

Edit: that tooltip damage is wrong btw. Hovering over the actual skill it shows 1100 damage at max range.
And before everyone wets their pants. The damage averages out on 6-7k opening hits and 3.5k hits without signet of the hunt. It is usually not anywhere near that high.

Oneshotting upleveld guys is fun though

Just make sure they arn’t up lvled, or running Green Armour still ( i know a few of my Really gw2 casual friends that have done this once or twice lol)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

define too strong ???

I didnt’ say rangers are overpowered either, they are not. its just certain aspects of the longbow that are. rifle damage is very similar to longbow, in some ways, but there are many reasons why its not viable. the hardest hitting skill that you will consistently land on rifle is volley. the autoattack is awful in damage, unlike the ranger longbow autoattack. killshot and rapid fire are comparable in damage except one is so predictably easy to dodge wihle the other can still hit you for around 2 arrows after you dodge the beginning of it.

Q
F
T

Because you are obviously ignorant. Painfully so and refuse to learn. Go away, Moon. Delete GW2 and make everyone happy.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

define too strong ???

Mesmer GS auto says hello. I was also told to say “hi” from Warrior Rifle, Engineer Rifle and Elementalist Staff. Granted, only engineer and warrior got a set of skill(s) that reaches 1800 range, like trait LB does. However their auto damage is as high, if not higher, at ALL ranges. Not just maxed out.

also, Skylightmoon, if you have issues with ranger LB pounding you to death at short range (IE: less then 600) – you gotta learn to play. Below that range, longbow is a suicidal weapon that even the best rangers struggle to use efficienctly.

Wanna cry about ranger DPS?
Check your combat log next time a zerker sword ranger + might stacked pet with quickness wails at you. Then you know what real ranger DPS is like.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Profession Balance

Posted by: FinalPatriot.8034

FinalPatriot.8034

That’s a great video explaining the new changes to the class. I would think that everyone should see this.

Laura Seranus – Mesmer –
“Shatter Me!”
“I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.”

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Flitzie.6082

Flitzie.6082

I loved his accent! So entertaining to listen to, haha.
On a more related note, he is right. The ranger is far from OP. its simply more balanced now.

The rangers best friend is the enemys unawareness, especially in WvW.
Manage to get in a 6-7k opening crit, knockdown and 15k rapid fire and GG.
is the enemy prepared, you’ll have a hard time.

You touched the shiny, didn’t you?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Michaeas Magister.1589

Michaeas Magister.1589

No problem man! Not my video,credit goes for its creator.
But the “Opinions about balance>facts about balance” issue that this playerbase shares is simply dumb…So I wanted to inform some people about the video

So, I know you did not make the video but could I possibly see one made from the perspective of a profession that does not force its opponent to loose them as a target every few seconds, please? I imagine it is quite easy to avoid the damage output of a Ranger when they cannot keep you targeted all the time but unfortunately most other professions do not actually have that luxury.

Also, Rangers do not have any water fields? Strange. I only played around with one briefly, but I could have sworn Healing Spring was a water field. Ah well.

Thanks.

It’s as I have always said,
“You can get more results with a kind word and a big stick,
than you can with merely a kind word.”

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

That’s a great video explaining the new changes to the class. I would think that everyone should see this.

simply cannot +1 that video enough.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Profession Balance

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

simply cannot +1 that video enough.

I concur. Makes me think the complaining is about rangers no longer being lol free kills.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

I have GWEN+ranger. I mained ranger for a year after that changed to warrior. So now i have 1 year ranger and 1 year warrior experience. If a warrior go close to a ranger the little pet huger will be dead, if the rangers target start to panic nothing can save her. The ranger cant handle with conditions, face rubbers and cant open distance to continnue pewpew. I give 2 weeks to the rangers and everybody learn the easy counterplay and they will be free kills again

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in Profession Balance

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

I have GWEN+ranger. I mained ranger for a year after that changed to warrior. So now i have 1 year ranger and 1 year warrior experience. If a warrior go close to a ranger the little pet huger will be dead, if the rangers target start to panic nothing can save her. The ranger cant handle with conditions, face rubbers and cant open distance to continnue pewpew. I give 2 weeks to the rangers and everybody learn the easy counterplay and they will be free kills again

You say you have experience with rangers, but every time you post on these forums about rangers (or anything for that matter), you display the exact opposite. Every post I can remember of yours is one that has a complete disconnect with reality or is blatant rambling.

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Are Rangers OP in tPvP and SoloQ?? NO!!!

Are Rangers OP in PvE?? NO, Thief and Ele more utility and DPS still

Are Rangers OP in WvW?? Any enviroment where you can stack 2700 power through ascended, food and guard stacks is irrelevant for balance. Plus if you day to rangers and you do not have to cap points, l2p. Dying when outnumbered is fine though so can it.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

The problem with “broken rangers” is they don’t exist.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Profession Balance

Zenos Osgorma.2936

You say you have experience with rangers, but every time you post on these forums about rangers (or anything for that matter), you display the exact opposite. Every post I can remember of yours is one that has a complete disconnect with reality or is blatant rambling.

and uses the term Free kills , that is just a Negative Term and puts the class in a Bad light (makes the whole class look like its not worth taking) don’t use this term.