(Sigil of Energy).

Thanks for watching!

Fort Aspenwood – Elementalist
Character name: Azilyi

1v1 (Serious) - Staff Elementalist [Video]

in Elementalist

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

Just watched. Im imoressed going to try a similar build.is this good for roaming around on wvw

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

FrownyClown.8402

I can get you 1630 toughness and more damage at the cost of condi damage 300 healing power and like 1400 vitality.

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

FrownyClown.8402

Http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vEAQFAWnMISJD2zAuMAdEGAIKSpFhCLco8ImZqB-TkAA1CtIoSRljKDVSqsUN+A

Try this in PvP. Switch to water use an arcane ability. It will slow them and apply vulnerability. Use water 2. That with the 20% extra damage while in water will make it hit for a large amount. All your arcanes should hit 20% harder in water too. You will be more vulnerable to conditions though

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mbelch.9028

Mbelch.9028

Not sure if we connected yet, but it’s not too late. Hit me up when you see me on or have spoons connect us.

-Nex, [FEAR] Elementalist
https://www.youtube.com/user/GW2FearGaming

in Elementalist

Posted by: KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

Http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vEAQFAWnMISJD2zAuMAdEGAIKSpFhCLco8ImZqB-TkAA1CtIoSRljKDVSqsUN+A

Try this in PvP. Switch to water use an arcane ability. It will slow them and apply vulnerability. Use water 2. That with the 20% extra damage while in water will make it hit for a large amount. All your arcanes should hit 20% harder in water too. You will be more vulnerable to conditions though

Thanks for the suggestions.

I’m actually giving Shard of Ice a try at your request, and a few other players as well. I’m liking it a lot so far… but I’ll keep you posted.

I think Cleansing Water is staying on the bar though. Without it, I have no condi clear (and this build is already quite weak to condi)

Thanks for watching!

in Elementalist

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

Not sure if we connected yet, but it’s not too late. Hit me up when you see me on or have spoons connect us.

for a duel, you mean?

I’d be honoured Hit me up in game

in Elementalist

Posted by: Hackuuna.4085

Hackuuna.4085

One tip I can give you as another staff user who dabbled in 1v1 a while ago is that fireball actually isn’t so bad if you manually aim it. You can also use this while someone is in stealth around you by just aiming your camera at the ground (looking down) and shooting fireballs as the splash damage still hits them.

If you get good enough at aiming manually (i.e. not having a target) and aiming it at the ground by their feet they can’t sidestep it by fooling your auto aiming. Try it, it adds another element of skill to staff.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Tei.1704

Tei.1704

Have you ever heard the saying that if you have nothing good to say…don’t say anything?

Get a life man.

Have you ever heard of “hypocrisy?”

Besides, I did say something nice; I said the OP played well. I didn’t see any faults in his play. What kinder, more flattering sentiment could I possibly express about a gameplay video?

What do you accomplish kittening on his parade? …even if you are 100% correct that the fights he had were rigged.

As Chaos said, I was just trying to keep expectations realistic. If I gained anything from posting, it would be a comforting reminder that some people can take a “parade kittening” like adults. The post I’ll accomplish nothing with would be this one. The fact that you think I said anything about the fights being rigged means you’ll just add in whatever subtext you want.

in Elementalist

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

One tip I can give you as another staff user who dabbled in 1v1 a while ago is that fireball actually isn’t so bad if you manually aim it. You can also use this while someone is in stealth around you by just aiming your camera at the ground (looking down) and shooting fireballs as the splash damage still hits them.

If you get good enough at aiming manually (i.e. not having a target) and aiming it at the ground by their feet they can’t sidestep it by fooling your auto aiming. Try it, it adds another element of skill to staff.

Oh wow! Hey thanks for the tip! I wasn’t aware of that.

I always thought if I didnt have a target that fireballs just exploded at my feet. I really didn’t even think they were pointed where my camera was faced.

That’s incredibly helpful for clearing out those shadow refuges. Thanks!

On an unrelated note – I updated the original post.

UPDATES MAR 3/13/14
I tracked my way onto the SoloQ leaderboard playing only this staff build. It’s probably not a monumental achievement for most… but for me, on this class/weaponset, I’m quite proud of it.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/kildron/657_zpsff043ad9.jpg

in Elementalist

FrownyClown.8402

This has convinced me to theory craft a build for roaming. One that could do half decent in 2v1.

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

FrownyClown.8402

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vEAQFAWnMISJD2zAuMAdEGAIKSxEhCLco8ImZqB-zUCBoLA0HApqFRjtoqIasabYKTJV5CQFLyuDJlUAMJMC-w

This is how id build it for wvw. You do more damage because of higher power and the 6 skill on rune should be bugged and give you 5% more damage always. Defense is much higher. You sacrafice healing power though. Condition damage shouldn’t matter much.

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

Now that’s real skill! I haven’t enjoy a dueling video this much over a year. When i tried to duel with staff I was so mediocre but once again you prove if you dedicate enough time to polish your skills even while wielding a staff you can be awesome with the ele. I’m getting myself to roam with staff again lol. I can only imagine how much more powerful you could be if that meteor shower can be casted while running. Easy the best staff player!!!

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

(edited by LightningBlaze.4913)

in Elementalist

FrownyClown.8402

Now that’s real skill! I haven’t enjoy a dueling video this much over a year. When i tried to duel with staff I was so mediocre but once again you prove if you dedicate enough time to polish your skills even while wielding a staff you can be awesome with the ele. I’m getting myself to roam with staff again lol. I can only imagine how much more powerful you could be if that meteor shower can be casted while running. Easy the best staff player!!!

Agreed. Im gonna practice everyday now

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

Agreed. Im gonna practice everyday now

Ya the good old saying still holds true. Practice makes perfect.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

in Elementalist

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

GJ! I broke out my Staff Ele after being parked for a long time. Primarily for the Scarlet Knight’s fight in LA to really rain down some hell on them. Really inspiring to see your video. I have Exotic Celestial armor I never even equipped yet. Think I’ll give it a try.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Malcastus.6240

Malcastus.6240

Neatly played, but against good players wielding condition builds this build will be severely handicapped. Outhealing isn’t an option with only three blast finishers, as the arcane healing only does well when doing damage to multiple opponents simultaneously. How do you feel you fare against good condi builds, having barely any condi removal?

I like the idea of using arcane finishers with staff and all its combo fields, but arcane houses too many good traits and leaves you with very difficult choices, especially when wielding a staff, in the end leaving no satisfactory builds for me personally.

in Elementalist

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

GJ! I broke out my Staff Ele after being parked for a long time. Primarily for the Scarlet Knight’s fight in LA to really rain down some hell on them. Really inspiring to see your video. I have Exotic Celestial armor I never even equipped yet. Think I’ll give it a try.

Great to hear. My own experience with PvE is quite limited. So let me know how it works out for you.

Thanks for watching!

in Elementalist

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

Neatly played, but against good players wielding condition builds this build will be severely handicapped. Outhealing isn’t an option with only three blast finishers, as the arcane healing only does well when doing damage to multiple opponents simultaneously. How do you feel you fare against good condi builds, having barely any condi removal?

I like the idea of using arcane finishers with staff and all its combo fields, but arcane houses too many good traits and leaves you with very difficult choices, especially when wielding a staff, in the end leaving no satisfactory builds for me personally.

It depends on the class of that condition build.

You’ll always be fighting on the backfoot against a condi build, but condi engi’s are manageable. Condi necros are not.

Condi engi’s can be handled by just staying way back and DPSing off-point. Dodge the grenades. When he comes at you to apply Elixir Gun condis, or bomb condis, you CC and move back just like the video suggests. But defending a point against a condi engi is impossible. You have to let him decap it while you try to burn him down at range.

Cleansing Wave isn’t really in the build to help counter the condi meta. It’s there to help clear condis against non-condi builds who also happen to have some conditions in their skills (Like thief poison).

But as I put in the first post, if you KNOW their team is full condi you can alter the build without retraiting.

1) Take out Arcane Blast and add in Cleansing Fire.
2) Change Elemental Surge to Evasive Arcana
3) Cycle in to water every 10 seconds.
4) Use Lemongrass, -40% condi duration food (I run this all the time, anyways)
It won’t be an easy win (it never is), but you’ll have a fighting chance.
5) Rune of Melandru x6 (sPvP)

Ultimately, though – just like with any other class, when you find a player who is your natural hard-counter, you avoid him like the plague. Generally speaking, if I’m fighting against my hardcounter by myself, I’ve done something very wrong.

Thanks for watching!

in Elementalist

Malcastus.6240

Are you speaking of SPvP and WvW? I am confused as you mention teams and points but also food.

I was referring to your 1 vs. 1 video btw, something I should have mentioned earlier.

in Elementalist

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

Yes. The changes I mentioned are dependent on game mode.

In WvW, you can use lemongrass food to reduce the effect of condis (I run that food all the time anyways to help me clear random condi)

In sPvP, you can use melandru runes and change them on the fly. They’re free, so just leave a stack of Divinity and Melandru runes in your inventory depending on the opponents you’re fighting. I also use melandru for my skyhammer staff build. Obviously, you’ll only switch to Melandru if you’re sure they have several condi builds. (I fought a team of 3 necros and an engi yesterday. It’s a good example of a pre-emptive build swap opportunity. They may not all be condi, but you can be sure to encounter at least 1, but probably 2.)

All the other mentioned suggestions can be changed in both game modes before a fight/match

(edited by KrazyFlyinChicken.5936)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Thunderbrew.7034

Thunderbrew.7034

Why is your build under “Whats different” heading not the same as that
you show in the tutorial? Just clarifying.

in Elementalist

Malcastus.6240

Yah, I know, just wanted to make sure.

in Elementalist

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

That tutorial is quite old. I linked it to help with identifying the combos I’m using since the combos are all the same for both builds.

There is a lot of missing combos from the tutorial though that are being employed in the 1v1 dueling video thanks to elemental surge though.

I may decide to make an updated tutorial. We’ll see.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

That tutorial is quite old. I linked it to help with identifying the combos I’m using since the combos are all the same for both builds.

There is a lot of missing combos from the tutorial though that are being employed in the 1v1 dueling video thanks to elemental surge though.

I may decide to make an updated tutorial. We’ll see.

I apologize if you have answered this earlier. I am guessing you prefer ES as compared to EA is because of the chill when you are blasting in water?

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Elementalist

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

I apologize if you have answered this earlier. I am guessing you prefer ES as compared to EA is because of the chill when you are blasting in water?

That’s a great question… but it’s so loaded, It’ll be hard to sum up in one post. ES is one of the big reasons I want to create a whole new tutorial video

There are so many interesting things you can do with ES. Chill is definitely one of the big ones, but I’ll go through some of the others (briefly) so you can get an idea, and then experiment.

Chill (defensive):

You’re low on health > switch in to water.
Geyser > Arcane Brilliance (3s of chill)
Ice field > Arcane Wave/Arcane Blast = 8s chill + Ice armor (more chill, and reduced incoming damage).

Blowing all cooldowns… you can get 12-15s of chill which is great if they aren’t cleansing.

Air (Stomping):

Enemy player is downed. Attuning to air turns your arcane abilities into blinds.

Arcane Shield = 3x block, then AoE blind (good luck trying to interrupt that…)
Arcane Wave = AoE Blind
Arcane Blast = Single-target blind (for engies, rangers, warriors, guardians and Necros)

Fire:

Burning! Really not much more than that. If you’re using your arcanes in fire—spread them out so that when one gets cleansed, you can apply it again.

Earth (My favorite!):

There’s actually a lot you can do with arcane immobilizes. But this is the one I use the most:

Start in water (you just healed to full) – they’re [possibly] chilled from Arcane Brilliance.
> (opt) Use Frozen Ground to pull their dodge.
>Use Ice Spike.

Switch to Earth.
> Eruption
> Arcane Wave/Blast (while channeling Eruption). 2s Immobilize.
> (opt) if you set this up right, your frozen ground should also give you frost armor.
> Shockwave (2s more immobilize)

Switch to Fire.
> Lava Font
> Flame Burst.

I especially recommend this combo for fightning ranged classes and other clever opponents who refuse to walk into the Unsteady ground. This gives you an option to pin them down.

Note* – you have to be quite close to pull this off, or the immobilize from arcane wave/blast wont last long enough for shockwave to channel/travel.

There are a few more less interesting ones, but I hope that answers your question.

EA is Great. But the utility that ES gives you is immense. It’s really hard for me to switch back to EA now unless I have a very specific reason.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ComeAtMe.5932

ComeAtMe.5932

this is a revelation holy kitten XD congratz dude

in Elementalist

FrownyClown.8402

Its not that great outside 1v1

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

this is a revelation holy kitten XD congratz dude

Thanks! I hope you might find something useful there

in Elementalist

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

Its not that great outside 1v1

True. There are some applications, but not many.

However, strictly in my opinion, I feel that every player in a tournament needs to be able to win a 1v1 fight to be considered a viable build.

I hear the word ‘Support’ thrown around a lot, especially on the ele forums. My issue with ‘support’ is that you’ll never be able to support a teammate enough to make him capable of winning a 2v1 fight.

So if your teammate is getting double teamed on a point, and you rush in to help… and you are built entirely around ‘support’, then you had best be able to boost him enough to win that 2v1. Otherwise, you would have been better off just going straight DPS.

This is the only reason the Zerker staff works out so well. But it has other weaknesses which I wasn’t happy with

in Elementalist

Posted by: amaranthined.5167

amaranthined.5167

I meant to comment on this when you first posted it, but I figured I’d wait until I actually gave it a test run myself. Now that I have, I can say it’s been a lot of fun running this in PvP and actually being able to 1v1 people for caps somewhat dependably (or at least being able to bunker long enough to call for help when I need to, haha)

Staff has been my favorite weapon for a long time and it’s nice to see a build for it that’s not support or zerker. I usually get some good fights while roaming but your video was pretty inspiring.

Henge of Denravi [VLK]
Zvezdana & Dana Uses Splash; Elementalist // Evegeniya; Engineer // Melinoe; Necromancer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Skyre Fawn.7986

Skyre Fawn.7986

Wow, you are crazy good with timing your arcane blasts, and your heals with your water and firefields! I for one love using Arcane Brilliance and Blast myself when running s/d as well as arcane shield, though I dont have the convenience of casting my own water fields xD The arcane utilities are definitely great help to sustain in my opinion.
My question though is how does this build compare when you run into 2v2’s, 1v2’s, etc. where you are basically getting focused with crowd control seeing as arcane shield seems to be the only legit stun breaker. I’ve experienced firsthand the pain of arcane shield being on cooldown when I get stunned 3 times in a row :P

in Elementalist

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

I meant to comment on this when you first posted it, but I figured I’d wait until I actually gave it a test run myself. Now that I have, I can say it’s been a lot of fun running this in PvP and actually being able to 1v1 people for caps somewhat dependably (or at least being able to bunker long enough to call for help when I need to, haha)

Staff has been my favorite weapon for a long time and it’s nice to see a build for it that’s not support or zerker. I usually get some good fights while roaming but your video was pretty inspiring.

I’m impressed that so many people are finding great success with this build so quickly. It took me a long time to finally figure out how to play Staff ele – but then I know I’m not the best (or even close to it) :P

I’m glad you found something useful here, and thanks for watching!

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Arcane Lightning doesn’t add 10% damage though, even if you crit 100% of the time. It adds 10% critical damage, which means:

At 0 critical damage:
-Your critical damage goes up from 150% to 160%.’
-160/150=1.07
-Multiplied by 100% that gives you 107%, or rather +7% damage.

At 50 critical damage:
-Your critical damage goes up from 200% to 210%.’
-210/200=1.05
-Multiplied by 100% that gives you 105%, or rather +5% damage.

And that’s only if you crit every time. If you crit less, it’ll add even less overall dps. On the other hand, a surefire way to make good use of Air Training is to swap to Air and then use your Arcane Skills.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

ThiBash.5634

However, strictly in my opinion, I feel that every player in a tournament needs to be able to win a 1v1 fight to be considered a viable build.

But what if you lose every 1v1, but win every 2v2? There’s also such a thing as ‘greater than the sum of the parts’. And if there’s anything that applies to that, it’s combo fields. The more people with finishers you have around, the stronger your combo fields (and to a lesser degree, AoE skills) get.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

Wow, you are crazy good with timing your arcane blasts, and your heals with your water and firefields! I for one love using Arcane Brilliance and Blast myself when running s/d as well as arcane shield, though I dont have the convenience of casting my own water fields xD The arcane utilities are definitely great help to sustain in my opinion.
My question though is how does this build compare when you run into 2v2’s, 1v2’s, etc. where you are basically getting focused with crowd control seeing as arcane shield seems to be the only legit stun breaker. I’ve experienced firsthand the pain of arcane shield being on cooldown when I get stunned 3 times in a row :P

Those water fields are the main reason I wanted to make an arcane staff build, so I know you know where I’m coming from. I had all those blast finishers and nothing solid to blast… so…

In answer to your question:

1v1 is possible, but should be avoided against some classes
2v2 is optimal for this build.
3v3 is good too, but not great.
4v4+ I found is too much. In these cases I tend to sit on the edge of a fight casting, and then kiting away for a 1v1 with whoever comes for me.

I say that 2v2/3v3 is probably best for this build because

A) You dont do a lot of damage.
B) You have a load of CC.

So really… you can pin someone to the floor pretty effectively in a fight. Having 1 other person there to deal damage to that person will give you the most use of your skills.

In tPvP, you can call out “CC!!” whenever you’re setting up a combo and you’d be amazed how fast your team can tear down the marked target.

But there are diminishing returns because your CC is your primary defence. If they’re overwhelming your CC with numbers/boons (like stab) then you’re dead. Your only ‘out’ is burning retreat which is insufficient against cripple/chill

in Elementalist

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

Arcane Lightning doesn’t add 10% damage though, even if you crit 100% of the time. It adds 10% critical damage, which means:

At 0 critical damage:
-Your critical damage goes up from 150% to 160%.’
-160/150=1.07
-Multiplied by 100% that gives you 107%, or rather +7% damage.

At 50 critical damage:
-Your critical damage goes up from 200% to 210%.’
-210/200=1.05
-Multiplied by 100% that gives you 105%, or rather +5% damage.

And that’s only if you crit every time. If you crit less, it’ll add even less overall dps. On the other hand, a surefire way to make good use of Air Training is to swap to Air and then use your Arcane Skills.

Right, but you only get +10% damage in air 1/4 of the time assuming equal amounts of attunement swapping… and you don’t want to use arcanes in air because the condi applied is only blind (unless that’s what you wanted in which case go for it!)

Overall, I don’t see a problem with either trait based on preference. I prefer +10% damage in air because coupled with Bolt to the Heart, you get 30% more damage when they’re below 1/3 health.

This turns the autoattack into something that doesn’t suck (it crits for 1.9k for me in WvW)—and it hits every time as opposed to fireball so when they’re running away at 5% health you can actually kill them.

in Elementalist

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

But what if you lose every 1v1, but win every 2v2? There’s also such a thing as ‘greater than the sum of the parts’. And if there’s anything that applies to that, it’s combo fields. The more people with finishers you have around, the stronger your combo fields (and to a lesser degree, AoE skills) get.

I completely understand. As I stated, it’s strictly in my opinion. A prime example to support your argument might be that a full-glass staff ele could wreck a group of 5 players in a 3v5 given the right circumstances… where it would die miserably in a 1v1.

But I think that’s a flaw in the game’s current design. I think that the only true support is through pure, raw, DPS. You support your team by killing your opponent.

Again, strictly in my opinion, the fields you lay down… or the buffs you provide to your teammates will never amount to the value of a player that can simply down an opponent reliably.

If you’re in a 2v2 with a thief—and all you’re doing is buffing your thief…. that thief must be able to kill 2 people on his own or else your build is only hindering your game. And I don’t think the buffs in this game are powerful enough to make that happen.

If I was that thief, i’d wish you were another thief instead. But again… this is just my opinion.

in Elementalist

ThiBash.5634

If I was that thief, i’d wish you were another thief instead. But again… this is just my opinion.

And I respect that. You’re making a good point, I’m just adding my 2cents. This thread is full of good staff ele advice and you’re a skilled dueller.

in Elementalist

Posted by: mcarswell.3768

mcarswell.3768

I am, so far, wholly disappointed with the new traits and how they will relate to staff. Besides making staff ele a pure healbot—I don’t see much viability for them in the future given these traits.

As it stands with what we know—I think the only viable staff ele build is going to be 0/0/30/30/10 with pure +healing. This just basically makes us a bunker.

But there are still unannounced details about the balance coming out, so who knows.

Krazy, i’m quoting you from another thread but wanted to post in this one since i think it’s more appropriate. I was inspired by your use of Elemental Surge and have been having a lot of fun learning new combos with it.

What do you think about a 30/0/0/10/30 staff build using blinding ashes and ES?

Berner | Nitzerebb | Suna | Shivayanama
[TSFR] – Jade Quarry

in Elementalist

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

I am, so far, wholly disappointed with the new traits and how they will relate to staff. Besides making staff ele a pure healbot—I don’t see much viability for them in the future given these traits.

As it stands with what we know—I think the only viable staff ele build is going to be 0/0/30/30/10 with pure +healing. This just basically makes us a bunker.

But there are still unannounced details about the balance coming out, so who knows.

Krazy, i’m quoting you from another thread but wanted to post in this one since i think it’s more appropriate. I was inspired by your use of Elemental Surge and have been having a lot of fun learning new combos with it.

What do you think about a 30/0/0/10/30 staff build using blinding ashes and ES?

That’s a darned good suggestion, and I think it’s definitely worth a try. I think the main weakness with blinding ash (for staff) is that you can’t burn people outside of fire attunement. Even ES needs you to be attuned to fire to apply burning.

So for 3/4 of your total rotation, you won’t get any use out of Blinding Ashes. At least not with an arcane build. Other weapon sets can consistently apply burning every 5 seconds, so i think they will get more out of a build like this than staff will.

A Sigil build with Fire’s Embrace (VIII Fire) and Elemental Shielding (V earth) might work with this. But the counter-argument here is that a full-sigil build is likely more viable on D/F or S/F or S/D.

Overall I like your build, I think its got potential. But persisting flames might be a better choice for this build since you’ll be able to grant yourself and your team permanent fury which I think will amount to more than a blind every 10-13 seconds (when fire attunement comes up).

Everything that follows is highly speculative based on the limited information provided so far but going through the other GM traits—I feel as though staff really got the shaft (hehe… pun). These GM traits seem largely focused toward dagger/scepter.

Blinding Ashes is not great for staff because of the reasons states above. Staff has limited access to burns outside of Fire Attunement. Other weapons could make use of traits like Burning Precision (V Fire), but staff attacks so slowly (and unreliably) that an occassional blind from critical damage will just be a nice effect… not really skillfully applied.

Lightning Rod seems like there might be some value here. We have a few interrupts, but they’re unreliable because it requires enemies to move into them. It could work, though. But I feel that the benefits of Elemental Surge far outweigh the benefits of lightning Rod. The only alternative, at that conclusion, is to run both. 0/30/0/10/30 might be worth a look in to. But you’ll have exactly 0 condi cleanse—and even cleansing water isn’t truly enough.

Stone Heart has a lot of potential. But it’s main failing comes from being stuck in earth. I can see this working with great synergy with Flame Axe or another conjure which would allow you to linger in earth just a little longer on your rotation—but the trait in itself will not win you fights. A good player will hold their burst back until you swap out of earth.

I think there is a lot of potential with stone heart – but almost every spec that I can come up with ends up being entirely too bunker-like for my taste. If that’s your game, though, I think bunker ele has established some serious viability in conjunction with the next trait:

Aquatic Benevolence in combination with Stone Heart is a pretty obvious combo. 0/0/30/30/10 seems a very tough bunker build to break. And in a team fight—the enemy team is going to want to focus you down or face huge healing to your teammates. I can see this trait getting a lot of use with the right build. It will be unique to the ele class and I think a lot of players may find this particular build quite rewarding.

Elemental Contingency is basically Elemental Attunement. It’s pretty cool, but it doesn’t offer any change to the way you play…. it just tweaks you a little more. I can never see myself running this over Elemental Surge. Elemental Attunement is enough.

in Elementalist

Posted by: cheese.4739

cheese.4739

I’m sad that I can’t run with 30/20/0/30/0 - it might be possible to get some use out of the fire attunement Glyph of Elemental Power with Blinding Ashes, since it’s got the 5s ICD on its conditions anyway, and Inscription with Cleansing Water is the only way to get regular cleanses on a Glyph build.

(Yeah I’m really hoping that some of the balance changes include Glyph improvements, because they’re fun to run and a great concept. Not expecting it... but hoping.)

in Elementalist

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

Glyphs definitely need some work.

I don’t see a practical use for them outside of Glyph of Renewal (and even that’s quite a stretch since the cast time is so long).

I don’t think we’ll see glyph changes this time around though. In fact, aside from Armor of Earth, I don’t think the utilities are going to get touched at all, which makes sense.

Some of the utilities which were otherwise unusable, are workable now… Anet will need to wait and see what people do with them.

in Elementalist

Posted by: cheese.4739

cheese.4739

Yeah, we’ve already got a couple of signet-aura Blinding Ashes build ideas, along with conjure builds.

I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on Glyph of Elemental Power with Blinding Ashes - it should allow an Ele to proc the blinds every 5-8 seconds using only one skill. Might be worth rolling GoEP (maybe alongside GoEH) with 30/10+/x/x/x for a while, to see how well the skill might work in future should the other Glyphs get some love.

in Elementalist

Posted by: WilnerGW.3275

WilnerGW.3275

Hey, nice vídeo! I loved Staff Ele since 1st time i played it!

And its nice to see a skilled player playing it! Grats!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Reality.9256

Reality.9256

Greetings,

I just wanted to say that the video was amazing. With a Staff Elementalist as my main, I want to say that you have actually have inspired me to try out using Staff on my elementalist instead of switching to D/D everytime when I want to duel.

I usually do solo roam as a Staff Elementalist in WvW but I usually never end up killing my opponent because of the lack of damage with my 0-10-0-30-30 with 3 Cantrips. I am definitely going to try out using more Arcane utilities later today when I get home.

Maybe I will see you around in OS sometime this week or future matchups!

Random Person : Isle of Janthir

in Elementalist

Posted by: Chuck Zitto.2367

Chuck Zitto.2367

Nice vid bud. All I could think about during that fight with the warrior that started around 6 mins in was man that warrior is awful and you still have had to work your butt off to kill him.

in Elementalist

Posted by: amaranthined.5167

amaranthined.5167

I usually do solo roam as a Staff Elementalist in WvW but I usually never end up killing my opponent because of the lack of damage with my 0-10-0-30-30 with 3 Cantrips.

I roam a lot with those traits too, mostly because I roam after guild stuff and I’m too lazy to change my build and swap gear and blah. I’d agree that it’s pretty hard going solo, but get a friend to come with you (someone running a high damage/condi build) and it’s totally possible to do 2v2-5. A lot of opponents will focus you first because staff eles outside of a zerg are often easy prey. Assuming your 0/10/0/30/30 build is on the tankier side, you can survive and your friend can burst them to death while you kite a little, throw in some dps (kite while moving backwards/sideways so you can keep attacking) and control the area you’re fighting in with aoes. I roam most nights on staff ele with a friend and we do pretty decent.

Henge of Denravi [VLK]
Zvezdana & Dana Uses Splash; Elementalist // Evegeniya; Engineer // Melinoe; Necromancer

in Elementalist

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

Hey, nice vídeo! I loved Staff Ele since 1st time i played it!

And its nice to see a skilled player playing it! Grats!

Thanks for the high praise. I’m glad you enjoyed it

in Elementalist

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

Greetings,

I just wanted to say that the video was amazing. With a Staff Elementalist as my main, I want to say that you have actually have inspired me to try out using Staff on my elementalist instead of switching to D/D everytime when I want to duel.

I usually do solo roam as a Staff Elementalist in WvW but I usually never end up killing my opponent because of the lack of damage with my 0-10-0-30-30 with 3 Cantrips. I am definitely going to try out using more Arcane utilities later today when I get home.

Maybe I will see you around in OS sometime this week or future matchups!

Haha, unlikely as I’m on vacation right now, but when I get back you can always hit me up for a duel

And I know what you mean. The 10/30/30 build is the requirement for my guild’s GvG. I really hate it, but it’s hard to argue with results

Thanks for watching!