AOE Changes Concerns (Staff)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Pirhana.8935

Pirhana.8935

This would mainly be for WvW

I have a few 80s but want to make a class mainly for distance (single target killing) ive been leveling a ranger and a staff Elementalist. Since they will be addding a WVW ranks system, i want to stick with 1 get him 80 and rank him up.

Now i like my staff elementalist more, he does more damage and has better utility, now i know meteor shower will most likely take a nerf, thats fine, i mainly want single target damage. my worry is (1) attack fireball since it has a radius effect, is the damage going to be lowered?? same with (2) lava field. they are my damage against single targets and the only reason im building the character.

if the damage is going to be lowered id like to know now so i can just work on leveling up my ranger.

If anyone knows what exactly they are adjusting please let me know. thanks

in Elementalist

Posted by: paleeshi.1924

paleeshi.1924

No one knows what they are going to do. The nerf was expected with the january patch but nothing happened. It is yet left to see what they are going to do with the so called AoE nerfed. However, they said they aren’t going to do a plain damage nerf to all AoEs, but it’s a “fix” they will work with step by step.

in Elementalist

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

I’m too lazy to link the quote but ANet has stated something along the lines of making AoE situational with regards to single target damage. Their concern is that players are using AoE for every situation, even when there’s only one target. Don’t quote me on this, btw.

in Elementalist

paleeshi.1924

Yes, they said they wanted make the single target spells be on pair with the AoE, so that people won’t use AoE where it’s not necessary. I’m still curious on how they are intend to do so other than change the damage on skills.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lillian Wandom Hale.7102

Lillian Wandom Hale.7102

I don’t want to be that kitten

but hun :
“I have a few 80s but want to make a class mainly for distance (single target killing)

Ranger is good, but pet takes part of your damage, and pet is far from WvW still ….
Ele is okay, but no SIngle Target Damage …Long Range out of 20, 1 skill is Single target and doesn’t deal damage

SINGLE TARGET …that’s WARRIOR, and NOBODY can blame me for saying this

(Covers head in fear and expects large RAGE for mentioning W word)

in Elementalist

Pirhana.8935

@ Lillain its cool, I know what warrior can do with Kill Shot builds. Ive seen some succesful staff elementalists, they arent all D/D. there are a few tricks and timing but they can drop single targets, a few combinations but one is you catch the target in an earth explode and lava field with teh immobolize signet as u hit them with fireballs and arcance blast (AB can be cast instant while casting a fireball. all 1200 range

But besides that i like being able to switch to water to heal, then earth for protection like reflecting projectiles, just like the added utility

(edited by Pirhana.8935)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Grizledorf.5290

Grizledorf.5290

Where are you guys reading about changes|nerfs?

in Elementalist

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

tbh making people use less aoe could mean single target buff for eles.

maybe.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Elementalist

Posted by: pdboddy.4162

pdboddy.4162

I don’t want to be that kitten

but hun :
“I have a few 80s but want to make a class mainly for distance (single target killing)

Ranger is good, but pet takes part of your damage, and pet is far from WvW still ….
Ele is okay, but no SIngle Target Damage …Long Range out of 20, 1 skill is Single target and doesn’t deal damage

SINGLE TARGET …that’s WARRIOR, and NOBODY can blame me for saying this

(Covers head in fear and expects large RAGE for mentioning W word)

He wants to level up his ranger or elementalist. How about helping him with that instead of derailing the thread.

To the op: Nothing concrete has been said about what skills will change or even how they’ll go about “balancing” the skills they believe to be out of whack. So maybe keep levelling both?

in Elementalist

paleeshi.1924

tbh making people use less aoe could mean single target buff for eles.

maybe.

Which we have very few off. There are aoe fields, point blank aoes, single attacks that explodes on target giving more or less of an aoe effect, attacks that pierces targets, attacks that bounces. There’s really more than just the traditional way of saying what an AoE is. And that what makes it so hard to see how or what they exactly intend to do.

in Elementalist

Posted by: JuniorSB.7089

JuniorSB.7089

This is just a thought, but what if they make the AoEs do less damage when only one enemy is hit, but when there’s more people, scale the damage up? Then they could increase the damage a bit on some single target stuff to compensate, ‘cause the AoE’s won’t work as well just for 1v1 fights, but when there’s a group of enemies, the AoE’s will really shine.

I don’t know if that’s what they’re going to do, but it would be interesting to see. Thoughts?

in Elementalist

Pirhana.8935

Im just hoping what i use for single targets doesnt get weakended because it has an aoe effect (1) staff fireball. The way i would like to see it fixed is make the target take the same damage just make the aoe effect around them less effective.

in Elementalist

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

If the engi changes were anything to go by it’ll be “30% reduction in staff damage, Gust and Frozen Ground now do 200 damage.”

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Elementalist

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If the engi changes were anything to go by it’ll be “30% reduction in staff damage, Gust and Frozen Ground now do 200 damage.”

Exactly. I have similar concerns about the ele bunker build nerf. I also have zero faith in ANet to get it right. I hope they prove me wrong, but I’m not holding my breath.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Arheundel.6451

Arheundel.6451

Huh? they already do no dmg XD

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

I was like, What?? We deal damage with these two skills? I never knew. o.o

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

I think the damages will be exponentially reduce.

For example Meteor Shower:
Example:
First hit – 1000 damage
Second hit – 500 damage
third hit – 250 damage
fourth hit – 125 damage
fifth hit – 62.5 damage
and so on…..

That is what I am expecting for meteor shower.

The other AoE also will be exponentially reduce damages over time or something like that….. it will happen……..

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

I think the damages will be exponentially reduce.

For example Meteor Shower:
Example:
First hit – 1000 damage
Second hit – 500 damage
third hit – 250 damage
fourth hit – 125 damage
fifth hit – 62.5 damage
and so on…..

That is what I am expecting for meteor shower.

The other AoE also will be exponentially reduce damages over time or something like that….. it will happen……..

This actually sounds like the most sensible thing that will happen. The devs have expressed concern that people are using aoes for single targets rather than on groups, which is what they’re intended for. By reducing the damage done to one single target for each consecutive hit, it will do exactly that.

The problem I have with that though, is that when you’re using the staff, what then do you do when you have to fight a single target? The Ele doesn’t get to easily swap to another weapon. I will be stuck with a weapon that has 20 abilities to use against groups. This will kinda suck when fighting a boss. It’s not like the Ele has great single target dps to begin with anyway.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: brickforlife.1364

brickforlife.1364

I’m hoping they do something like damage falloff from the epicentre

so let’s say currently it’s 1000 damage for the entire radius, it would be made into:

epicentre: 1200 damage
100: 1000 damage
200: 750 damage
300: 400 damage
400: 150 damage

Or something similar. Imagine it like a bullseye pattern.

Join
[BEAR] www.gw2bear.com
[DATE] www.tyriadating.com