Air = Damage/CC?

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

So i know that Fire = Damage/Burning, water = Healing/Chill and Earth = Defense/Bleeding but what is Air? I was told that it was Damage and CC but if thats the case D/D is pretty weak when looking at the CC side Static Aura WHEN/IF attacked counts and Updraft if in range but that seems a bit low.

This is what i was thinking add Stun to Ride The Lightening so we have a CC that can be used from range. As we as a whole seem to be quite limited on the number of CC abilities we have on weapons

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Creslin.1758

Creslin.1758

Against mobs, shocking aura isn’t that big of a deal, but against players it is epic. Also, the general idea is to updraft immediately after RTL, so that it becomes a knock back.

Lightning touch also gives weakness, which while not cc, reduces damage an enemy deals by around 50%

Magaera Enflanza (F Human D/D Ele)
[Envy], [Moon]

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Yeah i tend to use Arcane Power > Ride The Lightening > Updraft works great against groups of mobs and players. Though weakness is nice, still not a CC I use Static Aura for the buffs i get as well – Protection, Fury and Swiftness

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

However – I still think that we lack a bit of CC especially for Range attacks with D/D

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Superkav.5012

Superkav.5012

Shocking Aura is, as Creslin states, EPIC against players in pvp. It more or less nullifies actions for the duration. Its one of the best defences against those annoying backstapping instagib wannabe crybaby thiefs…

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

Superkav.5012

Also, Updraft is a great CC tool. Remember that it is point blank aoe and can hit a group of mobs/players, while at the same time giving you swiftness.

Daggers are melee-ish and therefore you get no range cc with the weaponset. But its not really necessary when combined with the cc from the other attunements.

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Also, Updraft is a great CC tool. Remember that it is point blank aoe and can hit a group of mobs/players, while at the same time giving you swiftness.

Daggers are melee-ish and therefore you get no range cc with the weaponset. But its not really necessary when combined with the cc from the other attunements.

I agree Updraft is great, but 30second cool down but with all three attunements we have 3! CC abilities…

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

Superkav.5012

Not really, I count six cc’s from the d/d weaponset:
1) Updraft (air)
2) Frozen burst (water)
3) Ring of earth (earth)
4) Magnetic grasp (earth)
5) Earthquake (earth)
6) Churning earth (earth)

When you also add the utilities, mainly from signest, being Signet of earth (immobilize) and signet of water (chill), you actually have quite of lot of cc. Just my 2 cent.

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

Superkav.5012

Also, you can spec into earth to get cripple on swap and into arcane for earth dodge roll which also crippes.

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

1) Updraft (air)
2) Frozen burst (water)
3) Ring of earth (earth)
5) Earthquake (earth)

When you also add the utilities, mainly from signest, being Signet of earth (immobilize) and signet of water (chill), you actually have quite of lot of cc. Just my 2 cent.

I dont couunt half of them seeing as they dont really count in terms of what i could CC being that they are Conditions, sure they slow people down and such but i am talking losing control over character like Stun, Knockback, Immobilize and such

Sure having Cripple and Chill are nice

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

Creslin.1758

1) Updraft (air)
2) Frozen burst (water)
3) Ring of earth (earth)
5) Earthquake (earth)

I dont couunt half of them seeing as they dont really count in terms of what i could CC being that they are Conditions, sure they slow people down and such but i am talking losing control over character like Stun, Knockback, Immobilize and such

Well in that case we have 3 CC’s in the D/D set…updraft, earthquake, and shocking aura. And I know you don’t count it, but chill is almost a CC as well because of how nasty its debuff is.

Honestly, that’s pretty freaking good. After all, those are all CC’s on our weapon set ALONE. How many other classes have that many CC’s on their weapon unless they specialize just for being a CC build?

[Envy], [Moon]

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

1) Updraft (air)
2) Frozen burst (water)
3) Ring of earth (earth)
5) Earthquake (earth)

Well in that case we have 3 CC’s in the D/D set…updraft, earthquake, and shocking aura. And I know you don’t count it, but chill is almost a CC as well because of how nasty its debuff is.

Honestly, that’s pretty freaking good. After all, those are all CC’s on our weapon set ALONE. How many other classes have that many CC’s on their weapon unless they specialize just for being a CC build?

I count 4 – Updraft, Shocking Aura, Magnetic Grasp and Earth quake but i just feel it would have been nice to have Ride The Lightening to at least have the option in Traits for it to Stun people as a ranged option

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

Creslin.1758

1) Updraft (air)
2) Frozen burst (water)
3) Ring of earth (earth)
5) Earthquake (earth)

I count 4 – Updraft, Shocking Aura, Magnetic Grasp and Earth quake but i just feel it would have been nice to have Ride The Lightening to at least have the option in Traits for it to Stun people as a ranged option

eh, I don’t really think that is necessary. Updraft is basically set up to be comboed right after RTL. A PBAoE stun every 12 seconds would be a little much I think.

[Envy], [Moon]

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

1) Updraft (air)
2) Frozen burst (water)
3) Ring of earth (earth)
5) Earthquake (earth)

eh, I don’t really think that is necessary. Updraft is basically set up to be comboed right after RTL. A PBAoE stun every 12 seconds would be a little much I think.

It would be nice if we had something that was strong, seeing as how we get nerfed EVERY update with minor “fixes” that do more damage then good and “buffs” to abilities that arent even used that much

Could always make it a Air Grandmaster trait

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

Creslin.1758

1) Updraft (air)
2) Frozen burst (water)
3) Ring of earth (earth)
5) Earthquake (earth)

It would be nice if we had something that was strong, seeing as how we get nerfed EVERY update with minor “fixes” that do more damage then good and “buffs” to abilities that arent even used that much

Well, I wouldn’t complain lol. But I don’t really think we need it.

I do a lot of WvW, and TBH, D/D Ele is very powerful there. It is arguably the best 1v1 class in the game, and I can even take most 1v2 with my Ele.

I think people would start complaining if they were getting stunned so often in PvP. I mean, they are probably already getting stunned multiple times by shocking aura, KD’d by earthquake and updraft…adding another stun to the mix is probably just unfair.

[Envy], [Moon]

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

1) Updraft (air)
2) Frozen burst (water)
3) Ring of earth (earth)
5) Earthquake (earth)

I do a lot of WvW, and TBH, D/D Ele is very powerful there. It is arguably the best 1v1 class in the game, and I can even take most 1v2 with my Ele.

I think people would start complaining if they were getting stunned so often in PvP. I mean, they are probably already getting stunned multiple times by shocking aura, KD’d by earthquake and updraft…adding another stun to the mix is probably just unfair.

I strongly disagree with being the best 1vs1 class. Thief can pretty much kill you without being seen. Warriors, Guardians and Mesmers are all very strong as well – and guess what classes the 2 “balance” devs play…

I have fought Warriors that have stunned killed me several times, stuns can be pretty much useless against Thief that can kill you without being seen as well

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lavadiel.6231

Lavadiel.6231

as for dd air skills:
1 – in most builds best 2-3 mobs auto attack (especially pve)

2 – 50% incomming dmg reduction, in pvp instead of insta gib you are left with ~6k HP which is enought to kill any GC build that tried to insta gib you

3 – pvp – epic (epic x3 for auramansers like me)

4 – even with high autostun chance best skill in the game

5 – succesfull hit = the beginning of the end

(edited by Lavadiel.6231)

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

Creslin.1758

1) Updraft (air)
2) Frozen burst (water)
3) Ring of earth (earth)
5) Earthquake (earth)

I strongly disagree with being the best 1vs1 class. Thief can pretty much kill you without being seen. Warriors, Guardians and Mesmers are all very strong as well – and guess what classes the 2 “balance” devs play…

I have fought Warriors that have stunned killed me several times, stuns can be pretty much useless against Thief that can kill you without being seen as well

I own glass cannon thieves regularly. If you have a decent vit/toughness, they are not going to kill you in one hit. All you have to do is hit one of our defenses, like shocking aura, and then you have the upper hand.

I fought a major glass cannon thief in WvW the other day (he had to be near full exotics from the amount of DPS he did), and I beat him 3 out of 3 times. He could definitely drop by hp to like 1/4 with his initial attack, but that didn’t kill me and I was up to full very quickly, then he was on the run.

If you have good reflexes, you should be able to beat a thief.

[Envy], [Moon]

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

1) Updraft (air)
2) Frozen burst (water)
3) Ring of earth (earth)
5) Earthquake (earth)

I own glass cannon thieves regularly. If you have a decent vit/toughness, they are not going to kill you in one hit. All you have to do is hit one of our defenses, like shocking aura, and then you have the upper hand.

I fought a major glass cannon thief in WvW the other day (he had to be near full exotics from the amount of DPS he did), and I beat him 3 out of 3 times. He could definitely drop by hp to like 1/4 with his initial attack, but that didn’t kill me and I was up to full very quickly, then he was on the run.

did i say 1 hit? BS, huge amounts of delay with stealth can make it VERY tough. How exactly did you get so much health back so fast? in S/TPvp i run 10/30.30/0/0 so have like 15k roughhly health

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

Creslin.1758

did i say 1 hit? BS, huge amounts of delay with stealth can make it VERY tough. How exactly did you get so much health back so fast? in S/TPvp i run 10/30.30/0/0 so have like 15k roughhly health

I run 0/10/10/30/20, I have about 17.8K health. Cleric’s gear, carrion accessories.

I use ether renewal as my heal…if I trigger my heal, then switch to water…I am normally near full health, and a CoC will probably get me the rest of the way there. Also remember, that even if the thief has not rendered yet, you can still hit him and target him.

No one needs to render for you to press shocking aura, or attune to earth for prot, or do updraft, or any of our other defenses. Also, the way I play is that I always keep mist form up as a general “oh crap” button. Sometimes your brain doesn’t have enough time to process that shocking aura is the appropriate response, so it’s good to have a button up that will save you from anything.

If I mistform and then use ether renewal + attune to water I am up to just about full and ready to fight a thief that just burned all his initiative on me.

Another thing I would say is that once you have survived the thief’s burst…you really want to CC him a lot. He will try to get away normally at this point. Magnetic grasp is great because it will root him and move you right to him even if he stealths while you are casting it. It’s also good to keep up prot as much as possible so that if he gets off another killer BS combo, you will live through it.

EDIT:

One more thing…I think that for glass cannon thieves you really just have to have a muscle memory “connection” between the telltale signs of a thief, and your defensive abilities. Like, you can’t “think about” what to do when a thief attacks you, there isn’t enough time. You have to immediately, and instinctively recognize the “snickity snak” sound that a steal+BS combo makes, and the precipitous drop in your health, and just react instantly.

[Envy], [Moon]

(edited by Creslin.1758)

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lavadiel.6231

Lavadiel.6231

wvw thieves are sometimes problematic to kill. Because of render bug they can be almost permanently invisible. You can either “randomly” aoe or cc and run, waiting like 30s for the game to finally render them, but if thief realizes he is now visible he diappears again for 30s. In pvp (no render bug) GC thieves (and any other GC/burs build) have literaly 0 chances to win 1v1.

ps.
Once I fought wvw SYLVARI thief who was perm invisible so I used cc & “ranom” aoe strategy. After a while I stopped receiving damage and after another 10s I finally saw a ASURA thief down and after another ~10s the SYLVARI appeared with already almost full downstate HP…

(edited by Lavadiel.6231)

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dacromir.6207

Dacromir.6207

Lightning touch also gives weakness, which while not cc, reduces damage an enemy deals by around 50%

I just wanted to point out that this isn’t how it works.

Weakness gives a 50% chance for hits to be glancing blows. Glancing blows do 50% damage. Critical hits cannot be glancing blows.

What this means is that weakness actually reduces enemy direct damage by 25% – (Crit%/4). Against an enemy with a 20% crit chance, weakness means they’ll do -20% direct damage.

Against builds with condition damage or a high crit chance, weakness is mostly an endurance debuff. Against builds with a power focus and low to moderate crit, weakness is a very powerful damage debuff as well.

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

Creslin.1758

I just wanted to point out that this isn’t how it works.

Weakness gives a 50% chance for hits to be glancing blows. Glancing blows do 50% damage. Critical hits cannot be glancing blows.

What this means is that weakness actually reduces enemy direct damage by 25% – (Crit%/4). Against an enemy with a 20% crit chance, weakness means they’ll do -20% direct damage.

Against builds with condition damage or a high crit chance, weakness is mostly an endurance debuff. Against builds with a power focus and low to moderate crit, weakness is a very powerful damage debuff as well.

Good point, didn’t realize the exact DPS that a glancing blow did, thought it was less. And yeah, I was ignoring crits.

[Envy], [Moon]

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lister.5678

Lister.5678

I find myself only using Air stance to tag mobs in events because the damage output is so low. I’m sure I’m far from the only one.

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

I find myself only using Air stance to tag mobs in events because the damage output is so low. I’m sure I’m far from the only one.

I dunno about that i am running a high crit chance build and do very well using pretty much Air only with Earth at times as well. I have a 50-60% chance to crit and with crits i have a 30% chance Might to myself, Burning, Chill and 60% chance Vul to targets

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

Creslin.1758

If you use the Zephyr’s Boon trait (Air 10), then shocking aura will grant your fury, which is awesome for DPS. RTL isn’t exactly super high damage, but since you are going air for the aura, you fire as well fire it anyway…it’s basically instant. And Updraft is good CC.

Basically, air in D/D isn’t really a “damage” attunement. I would say it’s probably the least damaging out of all of them.

[Envy], [Moon]

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Crunchy Gremlin.5798

Crunchy Gremlin.5798

a d/d ele is really something to see when well played. they are all over the place in skills and map and HP’s always going up.
There are a few bug fixes and maybe some ease of use things that would help here but i can take out GC thieve now. took a long while to get there but once i start that combo from air… they have to be reasonably good to survive.

What irritates me the most about thieves is not when they jump out of nowhere and start back stabbing/heart seeking me. thats pretty easy to get out of…. no what really sucks is when im fighting someone else and then they drop out of nowhere and start doing 4k+ damage to me and i cant see it happening. That gets tiresome.
but im getting good enough that i can jump in to a group of lower skill theives and kill at least one of them.

Air = Damage/CC?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Add stun to your utility hot bar.

So how it works is ,

RTL to far away target, upon exit, spam stun/immobilise

Assuming LS is down

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister